2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Ten Hag is going to overplay him and burn him out
Think people might be shocked when Mainoo is the one most likely to be dropped for Ugarte and there will be a lot of anger about that. It does make sense though, provided we see more of the Casemiro we got against Fulham rather than the one we got today.

I liked some of Mainoo's defensive work today I think we're just asking too much of him.

Think people might be shocked when Mainoo is the one most likely to be dropped for Ugarte and there will be a lot of anger about that. It does make sense though, provided we see more of the Casemiro we got against Fulham rather than the one we got today.

I liked some of Mainoo's defensive work today I think we're just asking too much of him.
Don’t be daft. Ugarte and Casemiro would be a brutal midfield on the ball. Mainoo will need resting though and we don’t have a replacement.

This isn’t a burnout point.

Hopefully it is more linked to physical development.

But at no point so far has he demonstrated he can play more than 60 mins at level required.

Casemiro the same too nowadays.

We desperately need a DM with the stamina to last a full 90.

He cannot do something that we as a team aren't even aiming at. Even like this he is playing totally different games than other 10 players on the pitch who play gung ho football woth lof of wild and one touch passes, and he is the only one who is calm and play calm and more smart football instead of passing it to first player he sees in front of him.
I note and appreciate that. I think I’m just lamenting more generally. The longer we play like this, the more we’ll start rubbing it out of his game.

Don’t be daft. Ugarte and Casemiro would be a brutal midfield on the ball. Mainoo will need resting though and we don’t have a replacement.
In theory it makes for a more defensively solid foundation and Casemiro attempts more of the defense splitting key passes than Mainoo does. Guess we'll see but I won't be surprised to see that combo starting.

In an ideal world he starts the season on the bench. Last season went on longer than anyone expected for him and he was right back into starting the Community Shield with pretty much no preseason.

All the England starters at City started the season on the bench.

The problem for us is our midfield looks bottom half level without him. He did some good things today but he doesn’t look ready for full games at all yet.

EtH really needs to manage his minutes.

I adore him as a player and he is great but it’s quite apparent he needed a longer break post-euros.

Shame our recruitment has been so poor that a 19 year old academy graduate is the only player in our squad capable of playing his role.
Have said this all summer, and the top priority of the entire window for me was about complementing his game and also buying someone who could directly rotate with him, but we’ve done neither and are instead focusing on midfielders who are nowhere near his level nor able to play with the skill and interplay he does. Unless something is lined up for the winter window, Mainoo is going to be running on fumes halfway through the season, that after having little rest and recovery post-euros. The handling of this issue has been really bad and it will come back to bite us. There’s also the issue of contingency should the worst happen and he be injured for any extensive period of time; I’ll guess Bruno or Mount slot in if that happens, but neither can do what Mainoo does and it would be apparent rather quickly.

I don't mind Ugarte coming in to replace him in the starting line up. Yes I said it. The issue isn't Mainoo's quality and issues his stamina towards the end of the game but the fact is that he simply can't play to his strengths (and mitigate his weaknesses) in an ETH team. I'd shore up the middle with a Ugarte + Casemiro double pivot to then let Mainoo come in once we've settled as a team to influence fresh off the bench for a few games and then go from there. Heck, I'd prefer him to even play ahead of that duo but let's be honest there's no way he's dropping Bruno and Mount.
That’d be awful. Really uncohesive unit with no link up ability, I think.

I note and appreciate that. I think I’m just lamenting more generally. The longer we play like this, the more we’ll start rubbing it out of his game.

Yeah, that's fair, I agree with that.

I'm not saying it should be the long term solution and I'm purely saying it under the caveat of 'what's the best and most realistic way we can be effective under ETH with all his tactical failings'.

As for link up, as great as Mainoo is in between the boxes at times, his influence isn't that vital (or rather we can't get more or the best out of him) to our best moments as harsh as that sounds. I think Casemiro showed pretty decent triangle/bounce pass plays today deep in our half and it's a clear instruction/improvement from last year. With Ugarte's athleticism, I'm hoping we have an even more secure midfield base with serviceable passing and ball carrying to get the ball to our front four. I know it sounds similar to the same 4-2-4 mess of last year but I think with Amad and Mount's integration into the team, it'll be less reckless and more progressive.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like it but I think it's practical and something ETH can achieve. It wouldn't hurt to let Mainoo have a rest or be an influence off the bench for a few games to mix it up too.

It’ll be a big part of ten Hag’s undoing and ultimate demise. So weird how an Ajax manager has such little regard for midfield control.

There are shades of Modrić in his play, the midfielder he reminds me the most in terms of his playing style. The way he can evade press/escape from dangerous positions, dribble around the opponent shifting into higher gear while being on the turn, composure, outside of the boot passes, slick technique... An obvious compliment, but also what made Modrić so great was his stamina. He was buzzing for 90 minutes all around the pitch and was always hungry for the ball. Tbf, not sure that Modrić at 19 would look much different in EPL.

Ten Hag turbo-direct style most likely isn't suited to get the best out of him and busy summer with England didn't help in this sense. In any case, wonderful player/talent which we need to nurture properly allowing him to rest from time to time. Can't believe he is atm pretty much our only midfielder with such composure and ball handling abilities which will probably mean we will push him to play too much minutes.

I'm not saying it should be the long term solution and I'm purely saying it under the caveat of 'what's the best and most realistic way we can be effective under ETH with all his tactical failings'.

As for link up, as great as Mainoo is in between the boxes at times, his influence isn't that vital (or rather we can't get more or the best out of him) to our best moments as harsh as that sounds. I think Casemiro showed pretty decent triangle/bounce pass plays today deep in our half and it's a clear instruction/improvement from last year. With Ugarte's athleticism, I'm hoping we have an even more secure midfield base with serviceable passing and ball carrying to get the ball to our front four. I know it sounds similar to the same 4-2-4 mess of last year but I think with Amad and Mount's integration into the team, it'll be less reckless and more progressive.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like it but I think it's practical and something ETH can achieve. It wouldn't hurt to let Mainoo have a rest or be an influence off the bench for a few games to mix it up too.
To have a workhorse or donkey midfield, you need other parts of the team be exceptional in lieu of the things that kind of unit lack. Liverpool are the easiest team to cite (even though Henderson was a universe better at that deep midfield distribution than our lot) given their backline took care of so much of the distribution (VVD and TAA) and yard carriage (Robertson constantly thundering down the left). They also had elite flanks on both sides and a central focal point that dependably allowed the whole attack to orbit and/or overlap. In other words the donkeys in the middle had finesse all around them doing their roles to perfection, which meant they could go about their jobs with collective control whilst never being exposed or overextended.

Transpose the unit suggested to our side, and it’s a mess. No certainty purpose behind the midfield to enable them to be bypassed when and as necessary or to take the load off them. No easy outlet balls down the flanks that can alleviate pressure for the team with assurance, and questionable competence in the easy forward pass at point; you’re more going to have even worse football than we play now with less belief in the midfield being able to advance the ball. If your midfield can’t play well, you need others that really can and I don’t know when we last had a forward line considered elite or special enough to compensate or carry sub-par midfielders.

My problem with what we’re lined up with is we need more skill and quality on the ball, not less. You put those kind of players in to facilitate better midfielders (in the playing sense), not to play alongside each other, unless you’ve a Riquelme/Totti level of brilliance ahead of them taking on all the quality/creative load.

From an entertainment perspective, I would imagine the irony is in that kind of midfield hastening the manager’s departure.

There are shades of Modrić in his play, the midfielder he reminds me the most in terms of his playing style. The way he can evade press/escape from dangerous positions, dribble around the opponent shifting into higher gear while being on the turn, composure, outside of the boot passes, slick technique... An obvious compliment, but also what made Modrić so great was his stamina. He was buzzing for 90 minutes all around the pitch and was always hungry for the ball. Tbf, not sure that Modrić at 19 would look much different in EPL.

Ten Hag turbo-direct style most likely isn't suited to get the best out of him and busy summer with England didn't help in this sense. In any case, wonderful player/talent which we need to nurture properly allowing him to rest from time to time. Can't believe he is atm pretty much our only midfielder with such composure and ball handling abilities which will probably mean we will push him to play too much minutes.

Agreed. It looks like either him and Casemiro need to pair with a more energetic but conservative CM. Too many times that both were either too high on the pitch, or just didn't have pace to cover the defence when opponent on the break.

Of course that's just because the way EtH system work.

It’ll be a big part of ten Hag’s undoing and ultimate demise. So weird how an Ajax manager has such little regard for midfield control.
I think what is even more bothersome is how much work he wants the midfield to do on both sides of the ball. Great sides with great coaches pick a lane and facilitate it and make rest defence just as important as their primary objective. You can’t go like the clappers both sides of the ball without consequences and it’s no surprise we rarely see out games with the midfield fresh and intact. Cumulatively, you either need a massive squad to stave off exhaustion, or you’re just going to be wrecked earlier than most, particularly those using their midfields properly.

I think what is even more bothersome is how much work he wants the midfield to do on both sides of the ball. Great sides with great coaches pick a lane and facilitate it and make rest defence just as important as their primary objective. You can’t go like the clappers both sides of the ball without consequences and it’s no surprise we rarely see out games with the midfield fresh and intact. Cumulatively, you either need a massive squad to stave off exhaustion, or you’re just going to be wrecked earlier than most, particularly those using their midfields properly.

Yes, it is why it is extremely difficulty to have any faith in his approach, even if it works for a few weeks, a month, how is it going to be sustainable with the physical requirements that this style creates. The injury situation of last season, how much of that was down to his idiotic approach?

Ineffective, futile, useless and that’s on this manager. If Ten hag is so hell bent on playing this basketball style of play then Mainoo is not the answer. He should buy a roadrunner midfielder who runs from post to post because this is not the skill set of kobbie. This idiot manager neither gonna develop him well nor gonna manage him carefully. He’s gonna broke him at some point with this kamikaze football.

Thought he was poor today. He didn't offer much going forward and his lack of pace remains a big issue in defensive transitions - especially paired with Casemiro.

He’s a player who takes care of the ball who loves the ball at his feet just not under this manager. Put him in the Arsenal, city even Liverpool team and he would outclass and outshine everyone on the pitch. A possession based team would get the best out of him.

He’s brilliant with the ball at his feet and his technique at times is outstanding, but he can’t dictate a game. Hes only 19 so it’s to be expected but we really need someone to do that.

He’s brilliant with the ball at his feet and his technique at times is outstanding, but he can’t dictate a game. Hes only 19 so it’s to be expected but we really need someone to do that.

Am not sure you can dictate a game properly when your partners are Casemiro and Bruno. Both of whom are on a mission to launch the ball forward as soon as they receive it. I think prime Xavi would lose his mind playing for us.

Ten Hag doesn't want any of his players to dictate a game though to be fair. He wants this chaotic, end-to-end transition football.

His technique is good enough that a coach like Pep could turn him into a metronomic passer I think.

To have a workhorse or donkey midfield, you need other parts of the team be exceptional in lieu of the things that kind of unit lack. Liverpool are the easiest team to cite (even though Henderson was a universe better at that deep midfield distribution than our lot) given their backline took care of so much of the distribution (VVD and TAA) and yard carriage (Robertson constantly thundering down the left). They also had elite flanks on both sides and a central focal point that dependably allowed the whole attack to orbit and/or overlap. In other words the donkeys in the middle had finesse all around them doing their roles to perfection, which meant they could go about their jobs with collective control whilst never being exposed or overextended.

Transpose the unit suggested to our side, and it’s a mess. No certainty purpose behind the midfield to enable them to be bypassed when and as necessary or to take the load off them. No easy outlet balls down the flanks that can alleviate pressure for the team with assurance, and questionable competence in the easy forward pass at point; you’re more going to have even worse football than we play now with less belief in the midfield being able to advance the ball. If your midfield can’t play well, you need others that really can and I don’t know when we last had a forward line considered elite or special enough to compensate or carry sub-par midfielders.

My problem with what we’re lined up with is we need more skill and quality on the ball, not less. You put those kind of players in to facilitate better midfielders (in the playing sense), not to play alongside each other, unless you’ve a Riquelme/Totti level of brilliance ahead of them taking on all the quality/creative load.

From an entertainment perspective, I would imagine the irony is in that kind of midfield hastening the manager’s departure.

I don't disagree with what you've said fundamentally. However, there's two big missing caveats, one being we don't have enough quality on the ball available and that ETH has shown he can't get the best out of our midfield or attack. I'd be extremely surprised if he plays any four of the following at the same time long term: Casemiro, Mainoo, Mount, Bruno, Collyer and McTominay whilst keeping at least one striker and another wide attacker.

So realistically Bruno/Mount are always going to play at the 10 and you will have two midfielders from the above behind, with 3 attackers ahead. Casemiro and Mainoo don't work and I doubt Ugarte and Mainoo will either. Again it's not necessarily Mainoo's individual quality in question, it's ETH's coaching and the teammates around him; I will say add though that Mainoo is far from the finished article and we don't need to treat him as an indispensible on the pitch as of now. Therefore, in my mind it's all about damage limitation and playing to your strengths. Strong base, transitional, counter pressing and hard working but functional in the middle. WIth Martinez, Dalot, Mazroui, Casemiro, Ugarte, Bruno/Mount and Amad dropping into the spaces, there's still enough technicality and ball receivers in the tighter spaces to create vertical play. Hopefully de Ligt will add to this too because Maguire is clearly not it on the ball these past two games.

Again, I loathe that it's come to this but it's the most practical. ETH can rely on his defensive, attritional but progressive type of football without needing to coach the expansive pass and move stuff that he's not shown in 2+ years. Mainoo would be the 'casualty' in my scenario but it's absolutely not the end of the world as I see this as a short to medium term thing. Depending on how you see it or not, the most important thing now is the results.

1. He needs to be managed as he's played a lot of football the past year which is his first as a senior pro.

2. We won't see the best of his in this set-up. We need to play him ideally with Ugarte + a 6 like Zubimendi and let him roam free.

He has these small genius moments in every game including this one. I think he did quite well for the first half of the game. Later he was gassed and it is no wonder because there is no cover whatsoever for him and his role is one of the most difficult in our team (box to box).

I still think he is the least of our worries at the moment and should be appreciated even if he makes mistakes. It's not his fault that a 19 year old is overplayed and our only functional option in midfield .

Truthfully he should not be an automatic starter at 18/19 years of age when he's still inconsistent and developing his game. We'd be better served having a more experienced number 8 starting 35 games a season, and Mainoo starting 20 games a season at this point. We're woefully short of midfield options with Mctominay/Eriksen being complete non-entities who could make way for better players. We've seen enough of the Casemiro-Mainoo-Bruno trio to know it just isn't giving us enough control of games.

He cannot do something that we as a team aren't even aiming at. Even like this he is playing totally different games than other 10 players on the pitch who play gung ho football with lof of wild and one touch passes, and he is the only one who is calm and play more smart football instead of passing it to first player he sees in front of him.
This is the fundamental problem. We don't have any interest in playing a brand of football that plays to Mainoo's strengths.

I think it's part of the reason why he stood out in the first place, the rest of our midfielders treat the ball like it's a hot potato. However, if Mainoo is to develop into the player we want him to be, he needs to start playing in a system where there is some kind of emphasis on keeping the ball once in a while.

Decent player but truth is he needs to develop as a midfielder - feels like too often he lets game pass him by

He will be amazing eventually, but a non-ideal midfield partner and crazy tactics are exposing his current lack of engine and athleticism. He shouldn’t be playing every game right now, he should be working on his weaknesses and starting every other game or so. But we’re so reliant on him he has to always start.

I liked some of Mainoo's defensive work today I think we're just asking too much of hihim.
I think your right unfortunately but it shows more about the manager rather than the player.

I've said it repeatedly but Mainoo is a link man in the oppositions half. He's picking up the ball from the centrebacks and Casemiro is pushing up. It's crazy.

Probably his worst game for us but Brighton played him well. They seemed well aware of his trick of letting the ball run across his body and read it numerous times. More teams will pick up on that and he'll be dispossessed more frequently if he doesn't change it up a bit.

This is the fundamental problem. We don't have any interest in playing a brand of football that plays to Mainoo's strengths.

I think it's part of the reason why he stood out in the first place, the rest of our midfielders treat the ball like it's a hot potato. However, if Mainoo is to develop into the player we want him to be, he needs to start playing in a system where there is some kind of emphasis on keeping the ball once in a while.
He's a Man City player, this current iteration of United isn't about technical quality and looking after the ball.

I don't disagree with what you've said fundamentally. However, there's two big missing caveats, one being we don't have enough quality on the ball available and that ETH has shown he can't get the best out of our midfield or attack. I'd be extremely surprised if he plays any four of the following at the same time long term: Casemiro, Mainoo, Mount, Bruno, Collyer and McTominay whilst keeping at least one striker and another wide attacker.

So realistically Bruno/Mount are always going to play at the 10 and you will have two midfielders from the above behind, with 3 attackers ahead. Casemiro and Mainoo don't work and I doubt Ugarte and Mainoo will either. Again it's not necessarily Mainoo's individual quality in question, it's ETH's coaching and the teammates around him; I will say add though that Mainoo is far from the finished article and we don't need to treat him as an indispensible on the pitch as of now. Therefore, in my mind it's all about damage limitation and playing to your strengths. Strong base, transitional, counter pressing and hard working but functional in the middle. WIth Martinez, Dalot, Mazroui, Casemiro, Ugarte, Bruno/Mount and Amad dropping into the spaces, there's still enough technicality and ball receivers in the tighter spaces to create vertical play. Hopefully de Ligt will add to this too because Maguire is clearly not it on the ball these past two games.

Again, I loathe that it's come to this but it's the most practical. ETH can rely on his defensive, attritional but progressive type of football without needing to coach the expansive pass and move stuff that he's not shown in 2+ years. Mainoo would be the 'casualty' in my scenario but it's absolutely not the end of the world as I see this as a short to medium term thing. Depending on how you see it or not, the most important thing now is the results.
It's a struggle to take in - if you're going for a poor technical unit, they should at least be faster, stronger and just plain frightening in terms of rabid, concerted pressing. Moving as a bloc; a rabid pack of terriers; a plague of locusts; a murder of crows; an unkindness of ravens; a quiver of cobras; a crash of rhinoceros... a something, something that denotes being a threat to all who come into contact... :lol: there's nothing impressive in a Casemiro-Ugarte-Bruno midfield. Nothing they excel at collectively or that overcomes their failings, I feel. Put Ugarte with Fred and someone like Collyer behind them and you at least filled the terrier and aggression remit, even it's still not very good and lacking fundamentals of what makes a midfield unit impressive.... given we don't have Fred, Mount in his place, but ugh, alll the combinations look like trash to me, very substandard for the PL and this team given our attack is bad, and not near special enough to take on the load the midfield doesn't have the quality to produce.

I have read what you wrote, btw, but for me, that's a midfield on a hiding to nothing because it isn't good or competent at anything. Another thing I would mention is the #6 has to be able to track and sway at the base with lots of off the ball running to constantly shore up potential gaps, so despite having two runners ahead, you're gonna see Casemiro flag just trying to keep up, imo.

I'm saying a lot of words to express I think it'd be the last roll of the dice for the manager and the one he'd be sacked for as we fail the collective press and look even worse a football side when we have the ball.

Last edited:
He will be amazing eventually, but a non-ideal midfield partner and crazy tactics are exposing his current lack of engine and athleticism. He shouldn’t be playing every game right now, he should be working on his weaknesses and starting every other game or so. But we’re so reliant on him he has to always start.
Yep, he needs more help both on the pitch and from the manager.

Yes, it is why it is extremely difficulty to have any faith in his approach, even if it works for a few weeks, a month, how is it going to be sustainable with the physical requirements that this style creates. The injury situation of last season, how much of that was down to his idiotic approach?
The sustainability aspect is massive. It's easier to count the games our midfield look fine at the end of game than it is to count the amount of times it's gassed and flailing, playing poor football and having lapses in concentration.

What annoys is seeing it used against us. Smart subs and we can't keep up.