Kobbie Mainoo England flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Long term who knows how it progresses. Been saying it that we're for sure going to target Wharton next summer. Could we see a long term midfield 3 of Wharton at the base of the triangle, Ugarte being a ball winning box to box player, and Mainoo as an attacking 8 where he provide that attacking 3rd creativity and link up play? I like the look of it but we'll see how it develops as we have to rebuild the midfield and it depends on Mainoos development

I certainly endorse this idea, mentioned a similar rhetoric in the England thread for the euro's Mainoo, Wharton and a defensive midfielder Case / Ugarte is a recipe for success.

Those are the right profiles for a balanced midfield, I think the primary issue has been the club having a number 10 and though Bruno's importance to the team is fundamental it can be said that he's not actually featured for United at any period where the team has had a balanced midfield, I don't think it's a coincidence given he limits the team to a double pivot in most instances to accommodate his influence. We saw Erik attempt to do it last season but he didn't have the personnel to execute it.

Eriksen / Casemiro is perhaps the closest to fitting such a description (balance) but there were questions over Eriksen's capability to cover a multitude of distances and he was generally hooked second half in most fixtures before he got taken out by Andy Carrol.

I certainly endorse this idea, mentioned a similar rhetoric in the England thread for the euro's Mainoo, Wharton and a defensive midfielder Case / Ugarte is a recipe for success.

Those are the right profiles for a balanced midfield, I think the primary issue has been the club having a number 10 and though Bruno's importance to the team is fundamental it can be said that he's not actually featured for United at any period where the team has had a balanced midfield, I don't think it's a coincidence given he limits the team to a double pivot in most instances to accommodate his influence. We saw Erik attempt to do it last season but he didn't have the personnel to execute it.

Eriksen / Casemiro is perhaps the closest to fitting such a description (balance) but there were questions over Eriksen's capability to cover a multitude of distances and he was generally hooked second half in most fixtures before he got taken out by Andy Carrol.

Think you're underestimating Wharton. He's a DM and then you have Mainoo who does his fair share of defending to help out a DM so a 3rd would be free to worry more about attack

People here seem mostly concerned about him not able to last the full 90 minutes, I'm mostly concerned about what happens if we don't have him available...We need a backup

Or we surround him with players that can do more dirty work for him.

Sure, that would work too, but he'll need to either be more of a creative threat in the attacking third or be able to dictate play better from deep. I think increasing the overall technical ability of the squad will help Mainoo show more to his game in possession than he's been able to consistently so far. Pretty excited for his future.

Think you're underestimating Wharton. He's a DM and then you have Mainoo who does his fair share of defending to help out a DM so a 3rd would be free to worry more about attack

To clarify Wharton can play as a 6 positionally but he's certainly not a conventional defensive midfielder in the mold of Ugarte / Casemiro. If he was he would have featured for England under Southgate's preferential pragmatism alongside Rice, Gareth's comments about not having a Phillips like player in the squad was correct though not an excuse to explore alternatives.

I mentioned it's the right profile of midfielders because Wharton can break the lines by effectively distributing the ball, so as referring to the previous poster having a midfield three of Wharton / Ugarte / Mainoo works with the possibility of having two 8's and the 6 form of triangle, or you could deploy a double pivot with Mainoo marginally ahead.

That's a balanced midfield, but when you throw Bruno into the scenario it disrupts the equilibrium because he doesn't have a complimentary profile as a player to be deployed in the deeper areas.

If your advocating a partnership reminiscent of Wharton / Mainoo in a double pivot, it would work against poor lower half opposition but any functional midfield would tear them apart.

To clarify Wharton can play as a 6 positionally but he's certainly not a conventional defensive midfielder in the mold of Ugarte / Casemiro. If he was he would have featured for England under Southgate's preferential pragmatism alongside Rice, Gareth's comments about not having a Phillips like player in the squad was correct though not an excuse to explore alternatives.

I mentioned it's the right profile of midfielders because Wharton can break the lines by effectively distributing the ball, so as referring to the previous poster having a midfield three of Wharton / Ugarte / Mainoo works with the possibility of having two 8's and the 6 form of triangle, or you could deploy a double pivot with Mainoo marginally ahead.

That's a balanced midfield, but when you throw Bruno into the scenario it disrupts the equilibrium because he doesn't have a complimentary profile as a player to be deployed in the deeper areas.

If your advocating a partnership reminiscent of Wharton / Mainoo in a double pivot, it would work against poor lower half opposition but any functional midfield would tear them apart.

That was indeed an excuse.

Wharton is absolutely a DM who can pass. Mainoo has played as a DM at times last season and the two of them, as they get more experience in the next 12-18 months would be fine. But it'll have to be for England when Rice is unavailable because in the future we'll be quoted Branthwaite money for him.

The reason he didnt play in the euros is because he's played like 15 premier league games and who is startings 2 teenagers in midfield at the euros? Nobody. Simple as that. A little bit more experience from both players and they'd be trusted. The euros came too early in their careers and Rice just came off an unbelievable season.

Bruno puts lots of pressure on with ball winning and pressing, it absolutely helps the defensive players behind him

That was indeed an excuse.

Wharton is absolutely a DM who can pass. Mainoo has played as a DM at times last season and the two of them, as they get more experience in the next 12-18 months would be fine. But it'll have to be for England when Rice is unavailable because in the future we'll be quoted Branthwaite money for him.

The reason he didnt play in the euros is because he's played like 15 premier league games and who is startings 2 teenagers in midfield at the euros? Nobody. Simple as that. A little bit more experience from both players and they'd be trusted. The euros came too early in their careers and Rice just came off an unbelievable season.

Bruno puts lots of pressure on with ball winning and pressing, it absolutely helps the defensive players behind him
I paid particular attention to Wharton this weekend and whilst I think he's a fantastic passer and progressor, I'm not convinced his defensive game is at a point where him and Kobbie would be enough for us in midfield. Even in possession, they both still operate in moments.

I paid particular attention to Wharton this weekend and whilst I think he's a fantastic passer and progressor, I'm not convinced his defensive game is at a point where him and Kobbie would be enough for us in midfield. Even in possession, they both still operate in moments.

Again he's played 16 premier league games. Both he and Mainoo probably need an experienced player next to them at present. In a year they'd be fine

I attempted to do this but he seemed a bit anonymous. Can't recall much from his performance. Doesn't help that the game was quite entertaining so I was mostly sucked into it.

Again he's played 16 premier league games. Both he and Mainoo probably need an experienced player next to them at present. In a year they'd be fine
It certainly will be interesting to watch their progression this season. Kobbie definitely looks like he's focusing on improving defensively, as highlighted above by the 13 duels won tweet.

I attempted to do this but he seemed a bit anonymous. Can't recall much from his performance. Doesn't help that the game was quite entertaining so I was mostly sucked into it.
It was a fun game for sure but he definitely had a lot of good moments, he's quite incisive.

To partner with Mainoo I'm looking more for the next Carrick than the next Keane. Don't get me wrong about Roy Keane, legend of legends who would slot right in to my all time XI (all players, of all time), but Carrick read the game so perfectly and responded to threats by creating opportunities instantly that a Carrick-like midfielder would maximize the performances of what ETH is trying to do while still getting the best out of Bruno, who as great as he is isn't really an ideal ETH footballer.

Yet people say he isn't athletic or good defensively.

Mainoo is slowly going into that dangerous territory where people are finding more things to nitpick him about to the point where if he did everything people wanted he'd be the greatest midfielder anyone's ever seen :lol:

"He needs to track back better, press for 90 minutes, be more creative, be more expansive, control games better, oh and also dribble like Iniesta" like christ lads there's not a midfielder in football that can do all of those things at once.

Good first half, a few errors in the second as his game dropped off, presumably because he is not yet fully match fit. He's come a long way in the last 9 months.

Good first half, a few errors in the second as his game dropped off, presumably because he is not yet fully match fit. He's come a long way in the last 9 months.
He was brilliant in the first half. I think his game dropping off is normal because i) he’s a teenager who isn’t reliant on physicality iI) he’s playing in a team that is chronically inconsistent and iii) he’s playing in a midfield next to an AM and over the hill DM.

I just think people have to temper expectations. Even a young Scholes isn’t going to have 90 minutes of excellence in this team. Heck even our best players like Bruno fade in and out of games.

People should also keep in mind that he just turned 19 and his body is still growing and won't be at his physical prime
Oh yeah for sure. Still remember people saying Marcus Rashford was a bit short for a number 9 and quoting his height as like 5'9 or something for a good few years. Then all of a sudden he was 6'2 and dwarfing quite a few players. Mainoo's gonna be the same I think.

Oh yeah for sure. Still remember people saying Marcus Rashford was a bit short for a number 9 and quoting his height as like 5'9 or something for a good few years. Then all of a sudden he was 6'2 and dwarfing quite a few players. Mainoo's gonna be the same I think.
He may or may not grow taller, but his overall physical strength will definitely improve. The key point is that he is in the latter stages of his growth spurt into adulthood and his body needs the most delicate care right now.

Mainoo is slowly going into that dangerous territory where people are finding more things to nitpick him about to the point where if he did everything people wanted he'd be the greatest midfielder anyone's ever seen :lol:

"He needs to track back better, press for 90 minutes, be more creative, be more expansive, control games better, oh and also dribble like Iniesta" like christ lads there's not a midfielder in football that can do all of those things at once.

I think it's fair to say that Mainoo does have a few areas for development, and weaknesses.

Mobility in tracking back does seem to be one which can get exploited but you have to structure the rest defence around it and win your defensive duels.

That's elite football, getting the most out of great players and trying to support them. It might be that some games he has to sit deeper than his optimal position and some he is benched in favour of more mobility, like Scholes experienced in some big games

He already is very clearly around 6ft tall.

They did the same with Ronaldo. Some people just cant appriciate a top talent

He already is very clearly around 6ft tall.
Mainoo? That's kind of wild. Not surprised though. But yeah if you Google Rashfords height they have him at 180cm still which is ridiculous of course so there tends to be people who stick with their "too slight for the premier league!" Labels well past their sell by dates

I feel like the best thing we can get from Kobbie this season is one where he can be par and just get on with it without the games and form he's been having, only with the thinking that the time is going to come where he hits a bad patch, and the media build up to knock down is make or break - Kobbie so fare looks like he's got it in him to shrug off, but can't help but think he's so young in scale of things.

Reactions: Cheimoon
Brighton 2:1 Man Utd New
He looked lost in the 2nd half.

It's so frustrating seeing the obvious being ignored again and again.

He is our most talented player by a distance, but his is NOT someone who should be receiving the ball from deep. He's a link man around the opposition half.

Looked exhausted in the second half, getting knocked off the ball amd making wrong decisions. He should've been subbed off for Collyer by the 70th minute. Ten Hag failed to react to the flurry of Brighton's subs and that extra energy won them the game.

He just starts running into players. He needs to be taken off after 60/70 mins.

We’ve struck gold with some of his traits and skillset and we’re shoehorning it into pinball play which doesn’t suit him at all.

You’ll see a lot of underwhelming performances like this again in this system.

Like last week, i thought he was having a good game but after minute 60/70 he usually starts playing quite a bit worse.

He and Casemiro are not physically capable of 90 mins, which is concern given the lack of alternatives.

Not great today and looks slow without the ball.

I adore him as a player and he is great but it’s quite apparent he needed a longer break post-euros.

Shame our recruitment has been so poor that a 19 year old academy graduate is the only player in our squad capable of playing his role.