Kieran McKenna | Close to signing long term deal to stay at Ipswich

Full credit to him for showing some loyalty and also for being patient in progressing in his career. Hopefully he can keep them up next year even if the odds are stacked against them or at least ensure they're well prepared for what's to come.

Good on him and excellent for Ipswich by getting him to stay with them. It was either staying with Ipswich or Brighton as I don't think either us or Chelsea were ever going to be a realistic proposition at this stage. Would have been way too early imho.

Looking forward to seeing how he does with them this season.

Good on him and excellent for Ipswich by getting him to stay with them. It was either staying with Ipswich or Brighton as I don't think either us or Chelsea were ever going to be a realistic proposition at this stage. Would have been way too early imho.

Looking forward to seeing how he does with them this season.
Chelsea have literally just got a manager he won manager of the year over - of course he was a realistic option for them.

If we were keeping him we would have name checked him after the final. It's just a question of who
It has been pretty widely reported that the season evaluation happens this week, so I don't think it has been settled yet. It is still probably a chance that we are keeping EtH for at least one more season.

Glad for him.. will be good to see how he manages them in the premier league and see how versatile he can be. It is too soon for him at United (as much as I would’ve loved him here).. maybe in a few years!

Chelsea have literally just got a manager he won manager of the year over - of course he was a realistic option for them.
They were probably looking at him if other choices didn't work out(kind of like how Kompany ended up at Bayern after being rejected by a whole host of managers) but in my opinion I don't think he was ready for that job or ours either this season.

Ipswich struggled to defend even in Championship. They play very high intensity football so it'll be interesting to see if he continues with that tactic in the Prem as well. Teams will just pick them off if he doesn't make adjustments.

Best move for him. Not ready for us or Chelsea

Thank feck for that

I hope he makes a gentleman's agreement with Ipswich and implements a low release clause in his new contract, only valid for an offer from us.

Bit surprised to be honest. Would have thought Brighton would be a good move. Kind of making assumptions but after successive promotions I figured it would be a real slog of a season for Ipswich. Brighton just seems a much easier job at this point in time. Chelsea and United being a bit too much, too soon and the directors etc being really questionable doesn't apply to Brighton either.

I'd say McKenna has a clause in that contract to allow him to move to a bigger club should they come in for him.

What does this mean? As soon as anything goes wrong? He loses a game and it's because the job is too big for him? Makes no sense to me.

And he knows exactly what the size of expectation at United is, courtesy of having worked at, you know, United before.
Seriously?

They will use lack of experience as the stick to beat him as soon as something doesn’t go well - not sure what rock you been living under but the manager of Utd is one of the most opinionated and scrutinised positions around.

And if you think being a member of the back room team of Oles reign is the same as being the main man then I suggest you get back under that rock.

Brighton wouldn't have done much for his career, see de Zerbi going from hero to zero after having a tough season. Meanwhile, Kompany gets the Bayern job after relegation. Good on him for sticking, if that's what he does.

Well, that's not the worst outcome for us TBH. If he does well at Ipswich, he'll still probably become Manchester United one day.

Hmm. Glad for Ipswich but Brighton felt like a great move for him

Lots of fake news about managers here and there. Should not be trusted. Just wait and see what happens. Relax. If he stays it would be good for him.

Ole got relegated with Cardiff and was never ready for the United job, yet managed to finish 2nd in the league. What warrants being ready?

Ole was never ready and shouldn’t have got the job you’re 100% right. The second place finish on 70 points 20 points off the top? The league was done in January let’s not make it a achievement for Ole he’d probably be embarrassed

Staying at Ipswich is arguably the biggest risk, it will take a miracle for them to even be competitive at PL level. Kompany has shown you can still get a top job despite relegation but it's no guarantee that McKenna will ever get these opportunities again.

Staying at Ipswich is arguably the biggest risk, it will take a miracle for them to even be competitive at PL level. Kompany has shown you can still get a top job despite relegation but it's no guarantee that McKenna will ever get these opportunities again.

Which makes this a pretty ballsy move and shows he's got complete belief in his ability, which in itself is a great sign.

If he's staying then there is no candidate I like to take over from ETH. ETH-in.

Brighton doesn't feel like a very good step to me, I get the logical way of thinking, it very obvious to say but it would be more exciting and enticing to lead Ipswich in the PL after his incredible story over swapping to midtable PL team he might not be far off if staying. As good as Brighton have been they don't seem that attractive as a position, more mid table bottom half club on a good run, you may well be part of that next phase and have to really immerse yourself into a new group and prop them up.

Good for him if that's what he has decided after talking with everyone. It's a better option than "He should go to Brighton". Hopefully, the owners have promised him a significant sum of money in this transfer window. Maybe we can send one or two of our most talented youngsters there way.

Ipswich would be second team next season. Will watch as many of their games as I can.