Kieran McKenna | Close to signing long term deal to stay at Ipswich

Ole was never ready and shouldn’t have got the job you’re 100% right. The second place finish on 70 points 20 points off the top? The league was done in January let’s not make it a achievement for Ole he’d probably be embarrassed

Okay, well what constitutes a manager being ready?

Looks like his agents might be playing a blinder here

Somebody with the bare minimum of management at the highest level, 2 years management experience in the lower leagues should not net you a job at a club like United

Was Pep not ready for Barca? Was Zidane not ready for Real Madrid? Was Sir Alex not ready as he only managed Aberdeen before United. Was Arteta ready for Arsenal?

He'll inevitably end up here one day but I think it's the right decision for him to stay put at the moment. Would feel a bit off if he moved on now after getting them promoted twice in two seasons.

I think it's a mistake.

Ipswich are far punching above their weight right now and it'll be one of the shocks in PL history if they stay up next season. This is a squad that hasn't had much investment since they were in League 1. To rise and stay in the PL will be a huge challenge.

I don't think he's ready for a top club, but heading to a mid table club like Brighton is sensible for his career perspective. What happens if Ipswich crashes and burns in the PL? Will he still be touted as a great talent ready for the PL?

I think it's a mistake.

Ipswich are far punching above their weight right now and it'll be one of the shocks in PL history if they stay up next season. This is a squad that hasn't had much investment since they were in League 1. To rise and stay in the PL will be a huge challenge.

I don't think he's ready for a top club, but heading to a mid table club like Brighton is sensible for his career perspective. What happens if Ipswich crashes and burns in the PL? Will he still be touted as a great talent ready for the PL?
Probably, yeah. It's not like he's taking a mid-table club to relegation. Nobody really expects Ipswich to stay up so he's not got much to lose.

Heart dropped for a second.
Glad he stays, we dogded a bullet and another Moyes situation here. Ratcliffe must not get carried away with his Great Britain love. Install a suiting abroad manager.

I think it's a mistake.

It's a win-win really. If they are relegated by playing his style of football, It'll be exciting but ultimately it'll be because the players aren't good enough. Most people will recognise that. If they stay up, his stock will rise even more.

Probably, yeah. It's not like he's taking a mid-table club to relegation. Nobody really expects Ipswich to stay up so he's not got much to lose.

Yet plenty will say that he failed and is overrated, the stigma of being sacked with a failing team sticks. It also becomes a more risky appointment if you bring in a Manager after he's just had a poor season.

There's no way INEOS or Chelsea would appoint him for example if he gets sacked from Ipswich with them in the relegation zone. Simply won't happen.

It's a win-win really. If they are relegated by playing his style of football, It'll be exciting but ultimately it'll be because the players aren't good enough. Most people will recognise that. If they stay up, his stock will rise even more.

There's no way that would happen. That's just wishful thinking, football fans are fickle fecks.

There's no way that would happen. That's just wishful thinking, football fans are fickle fecks.

Just as well football fans aren't the decision makers. Do you really think the clubs owners, analysts etc haven't done their homework and listen to us fans when making appointments. I think you're the wishful thinker here.

Was Pep not ready for Barca? Was Zidane not ready for Real Madrid? Was Sir Alex not ready as he only managed Aberdeen before United. Was Arteta ready for Arsenal?

Completely different scenario though Pep and Zidane had worked at those clubs and wasn’t in a position of managing a club coming off an 8th place finish and 13 years of shite

In all honesty it’s mind blowing seeing the support for McKenna he was a failed coach here and a second place finish in the Championship has people creaming themselves, his style of football isn’t even impressive it’s Ole light counter attack play

It’s a complete nonsense

You don't make decisions based on exceptions and Fergie had more experience than just Aberdeen.

I hate to be arguing against McKenna as I like him but all those you mentioned have playing careers at the highest level so they have some reputation. Also, didn't Sir Alex win a European competition with Aberdeen before joining us? What has McKenna won to offset the fact that he didn't have a playing career at the highest level? Back to back promotions is good but there should be more body of work to be given one of the biggest jobs in club football.

Completely different scenario though Pep and Zidane had worked at those clubs and wasn’t in a position of managing a club coming off an 8th place finish and 13 years of shite

In all honesty it’s mind blowing seeing the support for McKenna he was a failed coach here and a second place finish in the Championship has people creaming themselves, his style of football isn’t even impressive it’s Ole light counter attack play

It’s a complete nonsense

Counter attack play? How you even watched them play at all this season?

I think it's a mistake.

It's done no harm to Kompany tbf. Though no doubt his profile played a part in that.

I do agree though. If he was offered the Brighton job it seems like a perfect stepping stone.

So this means we're probably keeping baldy then? Really bad decision I reckon, hopefully ETH can prove me wrong.

Just as well football fans aren't the decision makers. Do you really think the clubs owners, analysts etc haven't done their homework and listen to us fans when making appointments. I think you're the wishful thinker here.

Public perception plays a part in management appointments though. I'll bet 10 whole English pence that if he does get sacked by Ipswich there is no way he'd end up at a big team in the PL. I'll go one step further and say he won't even get picked up by a mid table PL team either.

People in here talking like hiring McKenna would be silly. The new management team have more than likely had him on their radars for years, if he is or was being considered for the job, there was likely a very good reason for it beyond the back to back promotions.

Counter attack play? How you even watched them play at all this season?
Not the poster you replied to but yea I wouldn't call that counter attacking football. They did struggle with defending and had a fair few games( in the last 1 or 2 months) where they were bailed out by last minute goals. It suggests to me that he is very good at man management to get those players all punching above their weight and can setup a team to attack(maybe way too attacking) but he needs to work on their defensive play.

Public perception plays a part in management appointments though. I'll bet 10 whole English pence that if he does get sacked by Ipswich there is no way he'd end up at a big team in the PL. I'll go one step further and say he won't even get picked up by a mid table PL team either.

I think that is changing slowly. Just look at Kompany, who got hired because of what he did in the Championship, and not in the Premier League.

I hope you're right, I don't think we're going anywhere with ETH.

Christ I hope it's not Tuchel, boring football and a bit of a wanker seemingly.

I wouldn’t say he’s a wanker, he just doesn’t suffer fools. His football while not ultra attacking is effective, which has been proven by the trophies he’s won. I think he’s a top tactician and will certainly make us a helluva lot more solid as a team which I’d much rather than the suicidal, chance leaking set up we’ve witnessed under ETH this season.

Pretty gutted about this. People forget McKenna has been coaching for 15 years now. Okay, he hasn't done it in the prem, but for me he's the most exciting young manager around. Can't fault him for staying at Ipswich though - further underlines he's a good egg.

Reactions: Jippy
There's no way INEOS or Chelsea would appoint him for example if he gets sacked from Ipswich with them in the relegation zone. Simply won't happen.

Bayern hiring Kompany seems more unlikely to me than United hiring McKenna after a bad premier league season.

Bayern have been at a higher standard than us recently and they hired a relegated manager from the premier league, so why is it impossible for us?

Yet plenty will say that he failed and is overrated, the stigma of being sacked with a failing team sticks. It also becomes a more risky appointment if you bring in a Manager after he's just had a poor season.

Well then it's on him and not us for not appointing him. He's either a managerial prodigy and keeps them up with flying colours, in which case we'll likely be very interested in future, or he doesn't.

I honestly think Ten Hag stays now and we go for McKenna if he continues he’s progress with Ipswich.

Admire the confidence from McKenna, it’s going to be a hard job keeping Ipswich up.

Well then it's on him and not us for not appointing him. He's either a managerial prodigy and keeps them up with flying colours, in which case we'll likely be very interested in future, or he doesn't.

Which circles back to my original point of why I think its a mistake for him to stay at Ipswich. To be fair, it could all be paper talk in any case and he might not have had concrete interest from Brighton/Chelsea etc. We're all assuming that's true and it could simply be he's just a name on a list of candidates as a wild card rather than having genuine interest. If that's true then him signing a new contract makes a bit more sense.

Agreed its a risky decision for Mckenna at best I think the move to Brighton would have been a good option. Poor squad on paper but still superior to the quality of the Ipswich team who are punching above their weight with a double promotion.

All it takes is various results from August to May next year and this thread could become a relic, that's how quick the perception amongst managers changes or another Iraola / Gary O'neil does well and the attention shifts.

I think it's a mistake.

It's only a mistake if he had choices.

I'd assume neither Utd, Chelsea or Brighton were seriously looking at him, which make senses considering the calibre of managers available for those clubs, hence why he's signed himself a long term contract. It protects his future now.

Which circles back to my original point of why I think its a mistake for him to stay at Ipswich. To be fair, it could all be paper talk in any case and he might not have had concrete interest from Brighton/Chelsea etc. We're all assuming that's true and it could simply be he's just a name on a list of candidates as a wild card rather than having genuine interest. If that's true then him signing a new contract makes a bit more sense.
It might be a mistake, but I think it's probably safer for the club the hedge their bets at the stage we're at. Get everything in place with the new structure and see where we are in a couple of years.

He saw Kompany getting relegated with Burnley and then getting Bayern job so probably confident of getting a move to at least a midtable PL club next year, if not better than that.