Kieran McKenna | Close to signing long term deal to stay at Ipswich

Getting rid of Ten Hag after winning the cup would be pretty distasteful, smart move from McKenna to hold out and enjoy his project until the time is right.

Probably the only name we've been linked with that had me curious. None of the others are improvements on ETH in my view.

Great stuff. A sensible decision to stay. I hope Ipswich back him/stay loyal if it gets tough and he is able to grow with the club in the PL. Future Utd manager in the making for sure, just too soon now.
I absolutely agree that he is a future Utd manager. But not yet. Let him continue to make his name in Suffolk. But I don't think we will be the cannon fodder that some on here think. I know we have a backbone of Div 1 players but then a bloke called Ramsay did too when he took us from the third division to first division Champions. McKenna takes players and makes them better. It's what he does.
If we do go down then I expect him to stay and we can have the fun again of going up. It has been a hell of a ride so far.
Thank you for the erudite and positive opinions on this forum.

Unlike you I haven't watched lots of Ipswich games, so can only go by the 100 plus games I saw where he was here. Super ignorant I know.

I mean, it is? You're comparing him in a coaching role to where he's been the head coach/manager and are admitting barely watching the period where he's in said head coach role?

Best decision for him right now. Time will tell whether he's flavour of the month or ready to manage a top tier club with major trophy ambitions in a top tier league.

Completely different scenario though Pep and Zidane had worked at those clubs and wasn’t in a position of managing a club coming off an 8th place finish and 13 years of shite

In all honesty it’s mind blowing seeing the support for McKenna he was a failed coach here and a second place finish in the Championship has people creaming themselves, his style of football isn’t even impressive it’s Ole light counter attack play

It’s a complete nonsense

Sorry but how was he a failed coach? How do you know what he did in training?

Being assistant coach in your first senior role and finishing 2nd and 3rd with a squad that was at best the 4th best squad in England makes you a failure. Anyone who doesn’t play like Pep is a failure. Haven’t you been paying attention?

Not convinced he's an upgrade on Erik
I'm not, but he got to a semi and a final, finished 6th, had just as much of an injury crisis as us, had his team playing good football but they weren't creating chances, at the end of the season they worked that bit out.

Like I said, probably not an upgrade but the players love him and he has a clear style of play that is less hit or miss or less dependant on having a left footed CB at all times.

I mean, it is? You're comparing him in a coaching role to where he's been the head coach/manager and are admitting barely watching the period where he's in said head coach role?

He was the main coach at United though. Ole didn't actually do any training ground coaching and that's pretty well known. In terms of training and drills it was all him and Carrick. We had a shit/non existent style of play when he was here last with an arguably better squad, let him prove himself in the Premier League first.

He was the main coach at United though. Ole didn't actually do any training ground coaching and that's pretty well known. In terms of training and drills it was all him and Carrick. We had a shit/non existent style of play when he was here last with an arguably better squad, let him prove himself in the Premier League first.

Again, Being a first team coach does not equal being a head coach/manager. They're vastly different jobs.

Probably the only name we've been linked with that had me curious. None of the others are improvements on ETH in my view.

Same. The other names being thrown about don't seem to excite me but Mckenna did. It may have completely crashed and burned but the fact that we don't really know the ceiling for him, as we do the other options being touted - made it exciting.

Even if he was the main coach, he didnt decide the tactics - that was Ole. McKenna and Carrick only did as they were told.

The coaching staff were questioned by the press regularly and the fans were saying the same, it’s not a revelation is it

I remember Ole having to justify his staff numerous times

The coaching staff were questioned by the press regularly and the fans were saying the same, it’s not a revelation is it

Probably because he won nothing

Is it thought that McKenna will have a get out clause if Ipswich are relegated?
Just curious. Although, he was my pick to come in at United.

So the fans who knows feck all about training sessions questioned coaching staff?

Chelsea had lot of staff who worked under Lampard and they won CL under Tuchel. Were they shit or elite?

Stop rating coaches, as a fan we have feck all information on what goes behind the scenes. Everything stops at manager.

So the fans who knows feck all about training sessions questioned coaching staff?

Chelsea had lot of staff who worked under Lampard and they won CL under Tuchel. Were they shit or elite?

Stop rating coaches, as a fan we have feck all information on what goes behind the scenes. Everything stops at manager.

When Ole says he doesn’t take training he leaves that to the coaches and we look like amateurs the coaches shouldn’t be questioned? fecking nonsense

It’s all relative anyway he’s rightly not getting the job thank feck.

When Ole says he doesn’t take training he leaves that to the coaches and we look like amateurs the coaches shouldn’t be questioned? fecking nonsense

SAF didn't take trainings, so did Phelan and Rene won the PL title for us? fecking nonsense.

SAF didn't take trainings, so did Phelan and Rene won the PL title for us? fecking nonsense.

But your twisting the facts Phelan or Rene wouldn’t have been given the job and we hadn’t had 13 years of failure :lol:

:lol: It's strange that people fixate upon someone in a coaching role compared to a manager one. They're coming in to be a manager so you use their evidence as a manager to assess how they may perform, not sure why people decide to go fully left field and get into intricacies about something we have little to no evidence for.

:lol: It's strange that people fixate upon someone in a coaching role compared to a manager one. They're coming into be a manager so you use their evidence as a manager to assess how they may perform, not sure why people decide to go fully left field and get into intricacies about something we have little to no evidence for.

I'm sure this guy thinks Carrick and McKenna decided the tactical set up too and nothing to do with Ole.

But your twisting the facts Phelan or Rene wouldn’t have been given the job and we hadn’t had 13 years of failure :lol:

Who won the PL? SAF or Rene, Phelan?

Who won the treble, SAF or Mcclaren?

The buck always stops with the manager. Coaching staff are performing the roles asked of them by the manager. The stuff about Carrick and McKenna was always stupid, people didn't know who to blame when things were going wrong and ended up blaming everyone. Mike Phelan and Darren Fletcher got the same treatment.

McKenna was spoken about as a good coach when he came in to the set up and the same was said about him when he left. It ended badly under Ole but we also had a lot of good moments during that time too. McKenna has now proven his credentials as the main man at Ipswich. It's daft carrying on with the same rhetoric all these years later.

It does if you read what you said properly. Since SAF didn't take training, it was all Phelan and Rene.

No again you’re twisting it to suit your narrative. That was a successful era with a successful coaching team. This is a thread about a guy who was questioned at United and has 2 years experience as a lower league manager I don’t know why the you keep mentioning SAF and his staff it’s not comparable

Ole and his staff failed that includes McKenna. That’s it.

No again you’re twisting it to suit your narrative. That was a successful era with a successful coaching team. This is a thread about a guy who was questioned at United and has 2 years experience as a lower league manager I don’t know why the you keep mentioning SAF and his staff it’s not comparable

What's your narrative then? If clubs do well it means both manager and coaches are good and if they don't both managers and coaches are bad? That makes no sense either.

What's your narrative then? If clubs do well it means both manager and coaches are good and if they don't both managers and coaches are bad? That makes no sense either.

Nah my original point was he’s not ready for this job, he’s never managed a top level game in his life this is too soon for him. The ‘he failed at United as a coach’ admittedly is kinda harsh but that’s the facts it was almost a running joke at how we don’t look coached to the point where journalists were even asking the question it was a disaster

2 years management in the lower leagues and he’s suddenly United manager? nonsense

Last edited:

Successful era because of Rene and Phelan? Because they ran the training.

Btw the failed coach under Moyes or LVG is one of the assistant under Arteta.

Coaches just carry out the instructions from Manager. If Ole wants his team to sit deep and hit on counter, McKenna and Carrick won't be training them for possession based football. If Ole gets Pep backroom staff, Ole won't be possession based manager.

Everything stops at manager. It's weird people argue about coaching staff quality when no one has a fecking clue.

Successful era because of Rene and Phelan? Because they ran the training.

Btw the failed coach under Moyes or LVG is one of the assistant under Arteta.

Coaches just carry out the instructions from Manager. If Ole wants his team to sit deep and hit on counter, McKenna and Carrick won't be training them for possession based football. If Ole gets Pep backroom staff, Ole won't be possession based manager.

Everything stops at manager. It's weird people argue about coaching staff quality when no one has a fecking clue.

In general I 100% agree but in this instance when a guy is linked to the job after a failed early stint it would be crazy not to question it

It'll take a miracle for Ipswich to stay up. The odds are stacked against newly promoted club, let alone one that got two successive promotions. For his own career, he should grab this success story and land himself a mid table club.