Kieran McKenna | Close to signing long term deal to stay at Ipswich

Ban him!!!
He may just be having a bit of fun but I’m inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, he called INEOS take over to a T well before it got announced in the media. So they may well know a thing or two - maybe not as much on the manager front but he knew that EtH was getting the sack - if it comes out that there was an agreement that they mutually agreed upon then @TrebleChamp99 - should be deemed somewhat reliable at least

He may just be having a bit of fun but I’m inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt, he called INEOS take over to a T well before it got announced in the media. So they may well know a thing or two - maybe not as much on the manager front but he knew that EtH was getting the sack - if it comes out that there was an agreement that they mutually agreed upon then @TrebleChamp99 - should be deemed somewhat reliable at least
Oh I know.

I just got my metaphorical pitchfork out after reading it. ;)

Difference is that United seemingly had to act pretty rapidly to stop McKenna from going to Chelsea so I'm inclined to think that is the plan.
That would explain one lie. Another hypothesis is: ‘Sports mediators lie about football transfers routinely’. This would explain all the lies. Ockham would probably prefer that one.

Yes it’s very arrogant of us to assume that

He'd just be left in the dust if either ETH does very well under a full season with Ineos, or other exciting options appear and we go for them in 2025 instead. Just makes no sense from his point of view. I don't even think Alonso is staying at Leverkusen in order to wait for the Madrid job for the same reason...and to make decisions based on the Madrid job isn't very smart either, as that's not a place where you get a lot of job safety even if you do well.

If he had been anywhwere but here prior to Ipswich there'd be nowhere anywhere near the level of support for him on here. Lads need to take off the red tinted glasses. Staying put or moving to someone like Brighton is by far the best move for McKenna in the short term. He's taken a hell of a leap as it is in the last 2 years. Going from playing agaisnt the likes of Forest Green to playing the likes of City, Arsenal etc..

He is promising but is too much of a gamble for us now. Let him go to Brighton and continue to develop and then he can be considered for the role.

If true he's going to Brighton, then I love that. It's too soon for him to take a big club. Brighton is the perfect level for his development because he'll need to adapt to the Prem too and adapt to coaching better players and how you improve a good team.

It doesn't matter how experienced he is or isn't. Experience is no guarantee of anything.

The fact that experience is no guarentee doesn't mean that it doesn't matter. Just that you need more than that.

Experience does help, and I actually think that it would be a bigger issue for anyone getting the job at Chelsea or United right now,

As much as that would be an incredibly convenient scenario for us, I don't expect McKenna or any manager to subordinate himself like that for us, or any club. They need to think about their own career first and foremost, and not switch clubs based on "maybe United will want me in 12 months" IMO.
United is one of the few clubs you would do that for. I suspect Alonso has done exactly that for Real Madrid.

He was pretty good as academy manager and I was quite impressed with the way he helped Gomes in one of the interview they were doing together. Ability to bring youth players to first team is of paramount importance to me and he checks that box.

That visual of ETH talking with pride when he was with Mainoo and Garnacho, actually turned me towards giving him more time. But if thats not what it is going to be, then getting someone who can work with young players is an absolute essential quality that next manager should have.

Despite not being from Manchester ( not even England :lol: ), the joy of seeing someone local progress through academy is of huge importance to me as a United fan. Mckenna , hopefully ticks that box atleast.

In terms of whether this is an upgrade, i dont think so. But its not fair to judge his first team football style and quality, without actually seeing his team perform for atleast 1.5 year. I just hope we know what we are doing because this decision is absolutely massive

The fact that experience is no guarentee doesn't mean that it doesn't matter. Just that you need more than that.

Experience does help, and I actually think that it would be a bigger issue for anyone getting the job at Chelsea or United right now,
You need to define the term, experience, first and explicitly. Then, think about what and why it matters in your reasoning and judgment.
It looks to me many here equal it to the experience to manage in EPL. Also, many ignore the fact that McKenna is a prodigy and has a unique journey developing his coaching career which started around age 22. It has been a long exposure in the business from youth to first team.

Would rather he went to Brighton. When he was at United under Ole, there wasn't a discernible style of play and we relied on individual brilliance.

Brighton is a good stepping stone for him. Keep Ten Hag, sack him by December if it's still shit and see if an elite manager is available at the end of next year.

Shame.

We’ll probably end up with someone better known but ultimately disappointing like Pochettino. Yaay
At this moment, the beginning of the new football operation structure, I prefer to watch what they do rather than panic in my mind.
I understand why you feel that way. The Glazers really have messed the club in both sporting and financial situations for so long.

The main thing is being a top communicator and coach. Experience is not the be all and end all. Many experienced managers have failed.

Don't agree with posters saying McKenna isn't experienced enough. I think with the wealth of experience that will be backing him up (New CEO, DOF etc.) He will do just fine.

Would rather he went to Brighton. When he was at United under Ole, there wasn't a discernible style of play and we relied on individual brilliance.

Brighton is a good stepping stone for him. Keep Ten Hag, sack him by December if it's still shit and see if an elite manager is available at the end of next year.
So do you think Ipswich have been playing with no discernible style? Bit of an ignorant post.

Chelsea journalist puts out story that Ten Hag will be sacked.

Number of reputable journalists have stories that McKenna is talking to Chelsea, Man Utd, Brighton, and Ipswich.

They also report that McKenna has a preference for Man Utd.

Journalists then report Chelsea are out of the race and are now proceeding with the Leicester manager.

Brighton have reportedly given McKenna a week to make his mind up.

There is A LOT of smoke here, guys.

Shame.

We’ll probably end up with someone better known but ultimately disappointing like Pochettino. Yaay

It’s been reported already that McKenna is holding out for the Utd job. If initial talks between INEOS and his representatives have been positive he ain’t taking the Brighton gig, not until he’s been categorically told he won’t be the next Utd manager.

He is not ready for United yet.

He doesn’t possess the experience of the size of the expectation, the level of players and egos and the level of criticism and pressure that he would be immediately under.

As soon as anything goes wrong it will be because the job is too big for him.

Brighton is a great opportunity and the correct next step.

Number of reputable journalists have stories that McKenna is talking to Chelsea, Man Utd, Brighton, and Ipswich.

Journalists then report Chelsea are out of the race and are now proceeding with the Leicester manager.

Was thinking this too. Very interesting timing and sequence of events.

Reckon he gets appointed within the next week as our new head coach (not manager).

Don't agree with posters saying McKenna isn't experienced enough. I think with the wealth of experience that will be backing him up (New CEO, DOF etc.) He will do just fine.
To be fair, Berrada has never been a CEO, Wilcox was a DOF at Southampton and feels like Ashworth has spent most of his time on gardening leave than working. I think they need to settle in first before appointing someone so inexperienced.

He doesn’t possess the experience of the size of the expectation, the level of players and egos and the level of criticism and pressure that he would be immediately under.

What does this mean? As soon as anything goes wrong? He loses a game and it's because the job is too big for him? Makes no sense to me.

And he knows exactly what the size of expectation at United is, courtesy of having worked at, you know, United before.

Yeah exactly why he needs to go somewhere else and take the next step in his development. I also remember stories about certain Utd players not liking his training methods, would presume that some of them are still at the club now.

The development over last few days as you listed, seems what happened. I would also believe our contact and discussion with McKenna was arranged earlier.
McKenna is Manutd supporter. It resulted in his joining to Manutd u18 management from Spurs. If we offer him the job, he will take it.

The main thing is being a top communicator and coach. Experience is not the be all and end all. Many experienced managers have failed.

Again, experience is no guarentee - but it doesn't mean it's not important, especially at clubs like Chelsea and United. Not because they are big, but because they've been in chaos.

I'd feel McKenna has a good chance of doing well at United once the new structure is up and running with everyone in place and the kinks are ironed out. But we're not going to be completely there for a while.

Again, experience is no guarentee - but it doesn't mean it's not important, especially at clubs like Chelsea and United. Not because they are big, but because they've been in chaos.

I'd feel McKenna has a good chance of doing well at United once the new structure is up and running with everyone in place and the kinks are ironed out. But we're not going to be completely there for a while.
The good thing is also that ETH leaves us a promising foundation which doesn’t have bad apples.

Among the names being mentioned so far, I would probably take him ahead of all of them bar Tuchel if Ten Hag is sacked. Not particularly worried about the inexperience as I think it is far from one of major things that make a successful manager.

I just hope he has some personality and aura about him. I don't want another manager that would be sitting down or standing like a tree looking depressed as Crystal Palace score their fourth.