Just Stop Oil

I don't know how people stop themselves from slapping the heads off these morons. I'm not generally one for violence, but when you see that lady trying to drive her kid to the hospital, or shite like this on sites of historic importance, I'd be throwing digs.
I'm due to visit Stonehenge tomorrow en route home.

How does trying to ruin my trip to an ancient monument save the planet? It won't, it's for attention and a saviour/narcissism complex.

Basically eco-scientologists.

And it wouldn't be a massive brawl, they're the least threatening people alive.
They could have done with the likes of you two when they fighting against the suffragettes. Proper pair of hard arses.

Stonehenge is a monument of life's emergence out of nothing.

They aren't British. They existed long before there was any concept of Britain. The people that built them must have stared up at the stars and wondered the same things we wonder today;

Why am I here?
Why do I exist?
Why does anything exist?
What does it mean that we're going to die?

In some ways, things like Stonehenge are more important than everything else in Britain. We can't make another Stonehenge.
I can guarantee you that most of the people who have stared at it in wonder these past millennia would be more sympathetic to the people raising awareness of the existential threat to Mother Nature than the people who think cornflower being thrown on stones is more offensive than the crimes against nature big oil are perpetrating.

I can guarantee you that most of the people who have stared at it in wonder these past millennia would be more sympathetic to the people raising awareness of the existential threat to Mother Nature than the people who think cornflower being thrown on stones is more offensive than the crimes against nature big oil are perpetrating.
Jail the big oil twats too to be fair.

I wouldn't do it but worth pointing out that such sites as these have been vandalize for thousands of years. If you ever paid extremely close attention to certain monolithic structures, or even just very old structures, you'd see graffiti from throughout the ages. Who cares is the point I'm making. It's always happened. Better it was permanent damage giving the way the governments of the world react to climate change. It might linger in the geological record as an I told you so long after humans have killed themselves because of mass produced stupid shit in what amounts to a slave economy.

I wouldn't do it but worth pointing out that such sites as these have been vandalize for thousands of years. If you ever paid extremely close attention to certain monolithic structures, or even just very old structures, you'd see graffiti from throughout the ages. Who cares is the point I'm making. It's always happened. Better it was permanent damage giving the way the governments of the world react to climate change. It might linger in the geological record as an I told you so long after humans have killed themselves because of mass produced stupid shit in what amounts to a slave economy.

*Applause*

I'm with you bud.

Great post.

Yes, let's permanently damage Stonehenge, that will really show us. :annoyed:

It's a bit different having the Vikings vandalise something compared to Pete from Just Stop Oil or Timmy from Year 10 writing T <3 R. At least the Vikings were more cultured with their graffiti - Thorni fecked, Helgi carved.

It also seems weird to me because something like Stonehenge is actively being damaged by climate change, unless that's a roundabout point they're making.

Last edited:
Definitely one of those things where I'm zigging when most lefties zag. Can't get behind this style of protest. Those involved should be heavily punished.

This monument is so important that nobody batted an eye when the government started digging a highway tunnel under it.

Yes, let's permanently damage Stonehenge, that will really show us. :annoyed:
Stonehenge is a cosmological structure. A star-chart actually. Used in all manner of druid rituals which are lost to history. It is, though far apart, an accompaniment to Newgrange. It's a great example of Druid mathematical discursivity among, also, the rites of man. Rites of man, here, is what is central (rites of the human we might say). It is a human rights protest upon a ritual site against the habitual, death-cu.lt, rites of industrial and post-industrial man. Stonehenge is associated with fertility cults. It's fitting in my opinion. And it's hard to permanently damage such a structure giving the facts of geology. It will outlast the surface level defacement unless of course it's blown to bits in a nuclear war of some kind (though why they'd target stonehenge is a different topic).

It's a bit different having the Vikings vandalise something compared to Pete from Just Stop Oil or Timmy from Year 10 writing T <3 R. At least the Vikings were more cultured with their graffiti - Thorni fecked, Helgi carved.
:lol:

The point of course being that Pete from just stop oil is no different to the Viking (or any member of any group which left graffiti behind throughout the ages). For an historical site it's ironic that it's a time bias which, in part, causes the outrage.

This monument is so important that nobody batted an eye when the government started digging a highway tunnel under it.

It’s got scratch marks and initials all over it, people feck there all the time. The lichen point holds a little water but the moral dilemma people are ascribing to is stupid.

Confected outrage. It’s a few lumps of stone.

It’s got scratch marks and initials all over it, people feck there all the time. The lichen point holds a little water but the moral dilemma people are ascribing to is stupid.

Confected outrage. It’s a few lumps of stone.
It's a UNESCO world heritage site.

A few lumps of stone. Jesus wept.

Stonehenge is an important part of our natural landscape and the natural landscape of that area for thousands of years, which is arguably one of the key things which Just Stop Oil are aiming to protect with their cause, no?

Stonehenge is an important part of our natural landscape and the natural landscape of that area for thousands of years, which is arguably one of the key things which Just Stop Oil are aiming to protect with their cause, no?
The folk who built it would probably be on JSO's side on this one.

"if it was damaged, why care?".
I just wonder about the categorical nature of that reasoning. There is much reason why you might or would care if something as important, culturally, as Stonehenge were damaged but isn't the point that there is zero amount of that ire translated into action now being directed at global warming and all the sources of it? So much so that Starmer is afraid to mention it in his manifesto unless the right think he's a hippie (irony is enormous).

If it is damaged, why care is almost the sine qua non of capital over capitals (of deathcult capitalism over humanity and its survival, with respect to "nature").

There's a difference between "hey don't worry it wasn't damaged" and "if it was damaged, why care?".
But some people are reacting as if they permanently damaged the structure, talking about prison time. I mean...

I just wonder about the categorical nature of that reasoning. There is much reason why you might or would care if something as important, culturally, as Stonehenge were damaged but isn't the point that there is zero amount of that ire translated into action now being directed at global warming and all the sources of it? So much so that Starmer is afraid to mention it in his manifesto unless the right think he's a hippie (irony is enormous).
This isn't hard for me. There are other ways to make your point.

Somehow I don't believe you'd be as sympathetic if people did something against a heritage site in a non-Western country.

Somehow I don't believe you'd be as sympathetic if people did something against a heritage site in a non-Western country.
If someone pissed on the great wall of China to highlight global warming I'm fairly certain I'd be as enthusiastic about it.

But some people are reacting as if they permanently damaged the structure, talking about prison time. I mean...
How do you know there hasn't been permanent damage?

If someone pissed on the great wall of China to highlight global warming I'm fairly certain I'd be as enthusiastic about it.
I wouldn't classify piss as damage. But good to know you have no respect for heritage sites.

This isn't hard for me. There are other ways to make your point.

I think it's a dumb protest. I wonder what ways you think there are to make an environmental point that is effective. (Answer: there are none).

I wouldn't classify piss as damage. But good to know you have no respect for heritage sites.
I respect the living more than the dead. Heritage sites are sites for the living (albeit, by the dead). They should be protected. They are also sites of potential protest regarding the conditions of life upon the planet, as in this case. You're wrong to go ad hominem for the inverse would be "glad to see you have no respect for life" which I doubt is true.

I think it's a dumb protest. I wonder what ways you think there are to make an environmental point that is effective. (Answer: there are none).
I guess I would look more into the direction of trying to make the existential threat tangible. Show the Dutch that the rising water level is gonna feck em up with well edited demonstration videos of their water defenses collapsing.

I respect the living more than the dead. Heritage sites are sites for the living (albeit, by the dead). They should be protected. They are also sites of potential protest regarding the conditions of life upon the planet, as in this case. You're wrong to go ad hominem for the inverse would be "glad to see you have no respect for life" which I doubt is true.
I'm not convinced pissing on the great wall of China is way to respect the living.