Just Stop Oil

Throwing paint on historic monuments isn’t harmless in my book. Nor is stopping traffic by sitting in the road. And I didn’t say anything about violent mass brawls - I said if one of these simple minded morons did something like this in front of me, I would slap the stupid out of them.

It's cornflour, it goes away when it rains. It literally does nothing.

Sitting on or climbing on the stones, an extremely common thing to do, is more damaging.

It's cornflour, it goes away when it rains. It literally does nothing.

Sitting on or climbing on the stones, an extremely common thing to do, is more damaging.

When I visited Stonehenge, people were kept from climbing or sitting on the stones. None of us knew what the composition of the paint was until they came out afterwards, and the leader of the Larbour Party has said there has been serious damage caused.

I’m not sure why you’re defending these imbeciles. A good smack is probably the greatest life season they could be gifted.

When I visited Stonehenge, people were kept from climbing or sitting on the stones. None of us knew what the composition of the paint was until they came out afterwards, and the leader of the Larbour Party has said there has been serious damage caused.

I’m not sure why you’re defending these imbeciles. A good smack is probably the greatest life season they could be gifted.

If correctly pointing out the fact that they're causing absolutely zero damage means defending them, then I guess they're very easy to defend.

I think it's interesting to see what issues get people to express their violent fantasies, so I read this thread when it pops up. I don't think you're much more likely to actually punch anyone than the others are to do things to certain body openings. You just get viscerally annoyed at symbolic and harmless protest, so you picture what you would like to do to them but would never act on. That in itself is kind of symbolic, I guess.

Stonehenge happens to be one of the most boring tourist attractions I’ve ever visited.

I'm due to visit Stonehenge tomorrow en route home.

How does trying to ruin my trip to an ancient monument save the planet? It won't, it's for attention and a saviour/narcissism complex.

Basically eco-scientologists.

And it wouldn't be a massive brawl, they're the least threatening people alive.
A protest is supposed to be for attention :lol:

Stonehenge happens to be one of the most boring tourist attractions I’ve ever visited.

Were you expecting the rocks to do something else?

Were you expecting the rocks to do something else?
No. But I usually can get on board with anything if the explanations around it are good. But even the audioguide was boring.

this is the most annoying debate in the history of debates (all of which are annoying).
no individual is willing to make the lifestyle changes needed for time-bound worldwide decarbonisation, no organisation is willing to make the systemic changes to energy, etc for the same.

no form of protest will ever be effective when the end goal is to squeeze profits and reduce standards of living. one protests for good things, not against them.
this protest is impotent rage, and the widespread opposition to it is directed at its form, but should be directed at its content (jordan peterson railing about the omnicidal degrowth agenda has a better answer to these protestors than anybody else).

I don’t know how anyone can come up with such an idiotic strategy. They are gaining ten detractors for every new supporter with this stuff.
Then it's working, because those 10 people would never lift a finger to help the environment. At least they get new supporters.

Then it's working, because those 10 people would never lift a finger to help the environment. At least they get new supporters.

Those ten people might be pushed to see environmental causes as hysteria and move right on the political spectrum.

I'm not sure that's true which is why targeting Stonhenge is a bit of a weird choice.

I'd say the overlap between people interested in an ancient monument and being pro change to help the environment are pretty high as they're both about preservation.

Those ten people might be pushed to see environmental causes as hysteria and move right on the political spectrum.
If something as insignificant as this would be enough to make them move right, then I'm sure 100 other things they see on social media would also do the trick.

A bit like the guy becoming a nazi meme, if they would be pushed right because of this, they were always going to end up there anyway.

I'm not sure that's true which is why targeting Stonhenge is a bit of a weird choice.

I'd say the overlap between people interested in an ancient monument and being pro change to help the environment are pretty high as they're both about preservation.
It will take those people 10 seconds to see they didn't damage the monument though.

Everyone has a cause they believe in. A cause close to their heart. Some even have a cause they'd die for.

Some of those people, with their causes, I agree with. Some I don't.

But there are some things you don't do. Murder, terrorism, rape. "Let's rape random people to stop climate change". No of course not.

Stonehenge is a historic wonder. Don't feck with it. Don't fecking feck with it.

I’ve never got the fuss with stone henge, and I say that as someone with an interest (and degree) in history. It’s just some old rocks, and I get they’re old but so are the ones at the beach. And if you go and see those instead you get an ice cream and a tan.

I’ve never got the fuss with stone henge, and I say that as someone with an interest (and degree) in history. It’s just some old rocks, and I get they’re old but so are the ones at the beach.
Stonehenge is a monument of life's emergence out of nothing.

They aren't British. They existed long before there was any concept of Britain. The people that built them must have stared up at the stars and wondered the same things we wonder today;

Why am I here?
Why do I exist?
Why does anything exist?
What does it mean that we're going to die?

In some ways, things like Stonehenge are more important than everything else in Britain. We can't make another Stonehenge.

Stonehenge is a monument of life's emergence out of nothing.

They aren't British. They existed long before there was any concept of Britain. The people that built them must have stared up at the stars and wondered the same things we wonder today;

Why am I here?
Why do I exist?
Why does anything exist?
What does it mean that we're going to die?

In some ways, things like Stonehenge are more important than everything else in Britain. We can't make another Stonehenge.
Yeah that makes sense, which is probably why they threw paint at it as it’s guaranteed exposure. You’d have thought they’d have found another notable thing to throw paint at though, especially considering most of these green lot are probably the same people who dance around it on the solstice.

Yeah that makes sense, which is probably why they threw paint at it as it’s guaranteed exposure. You’d have thought they’d have found another notable thing to throw paint at though, especially considering most of these green lot are probably the same people who dance around it on the solstice.

It wasn't paint, though.

We can't make another Stonehenge.
sddefault.jpg

I’ve never got the fuss with stone henge, and I say that as someone with an interest (and degree) in history. It’s just some old rocks, and I get they’re old but so are the ones at the beach. And if you go and see those instead you get an ice cream and a tan.
The bolded part. SH is one of the most important archeological sites in the world.

Defacing Stonehenge has to be one of the most pointless and moronic things I’ve heard this year.