Just Stop Oil

These aren't miners they are college kids! French, German, and Dutch farmers recently protested against green laws and taxes in the way you describe, by spraying manure or dumping dung from their farm vehicles at govt buildings. Think you're overestimating their resources and capabilities.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't they *very* well funded, with private donations including the heiress to a oil fortune chipping a lot in?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't they *very* well funded, with private donations including the heiress to a oil fortune chipping a lot in?

no idea. and no idea if pvt citizens buying random amounts of coal etc for a protest would go unnoticed.

no idea. and no idea if pvt citizens buying random amounts of coal etc for a protest would go unnoticed.

I'm not saying the coal thing is absolutely what they should do, for what it's worth, but I genuinely think there are better ways to not only gain attention and awareness and genuine support, but also absolutely stick it to those who are the main culprits (terrible government policy and big oil/gas corps) without causing much disruption to the general public.

There must be a more effective form of protest than spraying up Stonehenge or blocking a road.

No, they're not very well funded.

Miners and farmers have a lot more political capital. For instance, in Norway farmers can block roads for days and spread shit everywhere, with no repercussions, while young people protesting for climate reasons get sexually assaulted by cops. It's not comparable.

No, they're not very well funded.

Miners and farmers have a lot more political capital. For instance, in Norway farmers can block roads for days and spread shit everywhere, with no repercussions, while young people protesting for climate reasons get sexually assaulted by cops. It's not comparable.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...op-oil-ballot-box-disruption-election-protest

Apparently this guy alone gave 340k.

Maybe I'm being naive, but just feels like there's a lot more strategic options they could take to min/max the impact and disruption.

stop oils strategy seems so illogical it makes you wonder if the oil industry are behind it, or have at least infiltrated it

I can't stop oil when I'm oily on a daily basis and I'm not even a mechanic

That's obviously not true. You learned it now, because of them spraying Stonehenge. You wouldn't have asked if they didn't do that.

That's fair. The whole raise awareness by catching attention. I still wonder how effective it is. People that already care about climate change are already doing whatever is they can do, for instance me now being aware of Stop Oil in the UIK doesn't really cause any new actions on my part. And the people whose actions matter likely aren't being affected by some graffiti at Stonehenge. I suppose it can't hurt but still seems like a rather ineffective tactic.

Edit: I should add I definitely think its a vast improvement over blocking public roads or public transportation so I will give them credit for evolving from a detrimental tactic.

Last edited:
What I really don't understand is this:

So, clearly, they're willing to go beyond the law in order to get visibility. They've had many members arrested for public disruption, including glueing themselves to public transport, public roads, motorways etc etc.

All their line crossing has been perpetual to causing a nuisance to the average person and gaining a bad reputation for themselves.

Why don't they cross the line at the actual culprits? They've done small nuisances to ... petrol stations at Shell/BP etc, which is like hitting at the street dealers in essence. 4 guys got kicked out of a BP AGM a while back.

Why don't they just glue themselves to the entrances of oil and gas companies head offices? Hell, Vitol's head office in Victoria is quite literally just two small revolving doors. Chain link yourself like you do on the motorway at 6am and stop anyone from going into work. Rinse and repeat. It will actually piss the right people off.
Didn't they used to do that and it didn't get anywhere

It's all a bit self-sabotaging. Like those two elderly ladies who waited for hours so that they were at the front of the crowd outside the Duke of Westminster's wedding the other week, just so they could let off some orange powder in the air when the couple came out of church. A morning wasted and an arrest, to boot.

Probably a more legitimate target than Stonehenge this morning. Spraying 2 private jets at an airport where Taylor Swift had landed earlier.

stop oils strategy seems so illogical it makes you wonder if the oil industry are behind it, or have at least infiltrated it
Yeah I've considered that for a while

Didn't they used to do that and it didn't get anywhere
But are these stunts having any real effect either? They might grab the headlines for a few hours, but the message most people get is ‘look at what these JSO idiots are doing now’ rather than ‘omg, we have to do something about climate change’. Greta Thunberg’s school strike campaign was far more effective at making climate politics mainstream, imo (although it certainly helped that an establishment figure like David Attenborough was making similar points about the climate crisis at the same time)

Just Stop Just Stop Oil
Stop small boats
Stop trangendering our children
Stop making pensioners pay for sky
Stop paying football players
Stop the license fee
Stop the woke agenda

Just Stop Just Stop Oil
Stop small boats
Stop trangendering our children
Stop making pensioners pay for sky
Stop paying football players
Stop the license fee
Stop the woke agenda
What do you expect if you cover the entire country in red octagonal signs carrying the slogan for them!?

Seems like a weird protest all around. What is spraying Stonehenge supposed to achieve? How does this actually help the movement to address climate change? Just feels like a silly stunt that has no real meaning.

I think to be effective protests have to have some sort of actionable goal like the anti-genocide protests in the US want the US to stop investing shipping arms to Israel. That's a tangible goal, even if its unlikely the protests will actually force any politician to achieve that. For climate change, its not nearly so simple.
It doesn't, it's pure narcissism.

But are these stunts having any real effect either? They might grab the headlines for a few hours, but the message most people get is ‘look at what these JSO idiots are doing now’ rather than ‘omg, we have to do something about climate change’. Greta Thunberg’s school strike campaign was far more effective at making climate politics mainstream, imo (although it certainly helped that an establishment figure like David Attenborough was making similar points about the climate crisis at the same time)

The idea isn't to win an argument through the stunts but to nudge awareness each time. People forget about climate change in the sense it isn't in their daily thoughts so if you can nudge the awareness it's a win. It'll impact opinion polling that then feeds into brands, politics etc. Whether they're effective or just promoting climate anxiety is another debate.

It's almost completely nullified by both main parties getting away with promising feck all though.

Listening to the wanker presenters on the BBC this morning hypoventilating about "national security risk", "disrespect to ancestors", "a nation in grief", really makes me feel like we don't deserve the stones and we'd be better off as a nation if some Cornish separatists bombed them to dust if it helped knock us out of our stupor. Our priorities are so fecking fecked.

Stonehenge should be completely open to the public, we should be able to observe them close up, touch them and enjoy them, let them be worn away by generations of sticky-handed inquisitive children. How can you claim to love, value, cherish, something that is permanently penned away safely in the minds of middle England dullards.

Listening to the wanker presenters on the BBC this morning hypoventilating about "national security risk", "disrespect to ancestors", "a nation in grief", really makes me feel like we don't deserve the stones and we'd be better off as a nation if some Cornish separatists bombed them to dust if it helped knock us out of our stupor. Our priorities are so fecking fecked.

Stonehenge should be completely open to the public, we should be able to observe them close up, touch them and enjoy them, let them be worn away by generations of sticky-handed inquisitive children. How can you claim to love, value, cherish, something that is permanently penned away safely in the minds of middle England dullards.
I agree, the stones should be open for anyone to fondle and there's nothing wrong with erections at erections. The world's gone mad.

The idea isn't to win an argument through the stunts but to nudge awareness each time. People forget about climate change in the sense it isn't in their daily thoughts so if you can nudge the awareness it's a win. It'll impact opinion polling that then feeds into brands, politics etc. Whether they're effective or just promoting climate anxiety is another debate.

It's almost completely nullified by both main parties getting away with promising feck all though.
Well you kind of hit the nail on the head with that last sentence. The fact is that all JSO are doing is making climate change an issue that mainstream politicians can safely ignore, because they make it look like the special interest of a small minority of lunatics in the eyes of the average voter. The way you force politicians to take an issue seriously is by building a mass movement, not a lunatic fringe.

JSO have been entirely counter-productive, whichever way you look at it. But the stunts will make their activists feel better about themselves, which is the important thing I guess.

Well you kind of hit the nail on the head with that last sentence. The fact is that all JSO are doing is making climate change an issue that mainstream politicians can safely ignore, because they make it look like the special interest of a small minority of lunatics in the eyes of the average voter. The way you force politicians to take an issue seriously is by building a mass movement, not a lunatic fringe.

JSO have been entirely counter-productive, whichever way you look at it. But the stunts will make their activists feel better about themselves, which is the important thing I guess.

Don't agree with that framing at all. They're a product of a mass movement not being viable, not a prevention to it.

The public do not care enough for any such movement to occur and I'd go as far as to say most never will. So what's left is fake corporate concern, token efforts from politicians and yeah the fringe sorts pulling stunts for awareness.

I think anger at this lot probably provides some with an outlet though. People won't blame themselves or the politicians they're voting for so yeah let's blame some kids throwing flour.

Now this is an effective form of protest.

Correct - horribly boring and technical implications for my line of work - but a much bigger and more tangible impact than fecking with protected sites.

Don't agree with that framing at all. They're a product of a mass movement not being viable, not a prevention to it.

The public do not care enough for any such movement to occur and I'd go as far as to say most never will. So what's left is fake corporate concern, token efforts from politicians and yeah the fringe sorts pulling stunts for awareness.

I think anger at this lot probably provides some with an outlet though. People won't blame themselves or the politicians they're voting for so yeah let's blame some kids throwing flour.
As I mentioned before, School Strike for Climate was a recent mass movement that did get politicians and the mainstream media talking about climate change. I very much doubt Boris Johnson would have proposed the UK’s relatively ambitious climate targets if there hadn’t been that shift in public perception/awareness that Thunberg and Attenborough helped bring about. JSO, in contrast, haven’t achieved anything. It doesn’t matter if you agree with my ‘framing’, those are the facts.

This is key. It lets people say: well, I would care about the environment, but these evil people throwing flower at a rock have ruined it for me. So it's actually all their fault now.

Yes they are, “green causes” including JSO are extremely well funded. I read an article on it recently, the site escapes me though

Labour, Tory and reform currently account for the opinion of the vast majority of the country, if you throw the lib dems in aswell none of them have got any drastic environmental policies to combat the climate crisis.

If the idea was to raise awareness and nudge people, it really hasn't worked.

Labour, Tory and reform currently account for the opinion of the vast majority of the country, if you throw the lib dems in aswell none of them have got any drastic environmental policies to combat the climate crisis.

If the idea was to raise awareness and nudge people, it really hasn't worked.

i doubt even JSO expect to change the opinion of the vast majority of the country. at least they give a feck though and are doing something, within their very small realm of influence. unlike most of us.

I suppose it can't hurt but still seems like a rather ineffective tactic.

I can remember a time when the "World is coming to an End" people use to walk about with sandwich boards slung over their shoulders... just like this lot though, they could never tell you when! :confused: