Julian Alvarez | 75m + 20m add-ons (Euros) fee agreed with Atletico

75 million euros?

It's high but nowhere near "barmy".

Just last season, Lavia was 62 mil, Hojlund was 73 mil, Szoboszlai was 70 mil,

I think Alvarez is pretty reasonable compared to those.

Or this is just the market now. Guehi is going for the same amount as Alvarez.
Agree with these takes. Fans tend to anchor to fees and wages from 5, 10, even 15 years ago. There's more money in the game now than ever before and it's a fundamentally different market.

Agree with these takes. Fans tend to anchor to fees and wages from 5, 10, even 15 years ago. There's more money in the game now than ever before and it's a fundamentally different market.
I agree. I would be rather happy if my club had signed him for that fee.

(The good) Torres and Aguero didn’t play under Simeone.

We bought Hojlund for roughly the same, after he scored 9 goals for Atalanta.
Alvarez is a better player, also much more proven both at City and for Argentina.

Wonder if City bother to bring a replacement, they’ve won the league with Jesus before so maybe they won’t.

Ours was 72 million total, which I still think is overpriced.

95 million total is insane.

He's won everything and sees himself good enough to be a starter. I don't think it's about the number of minutes but the knowledge that when the big games come, he won't be starting. At some point, a player wants to feel he is a protagonist especially when they think they're good enough. I think it makes perfect sense and his ambition has to be lauded.
Fair enough. But with what you’ve just said… if I was a player one of the last clubs I’d want to play for is Atl Madrid. Surely your ambitions have to be higher than that. Go from guaranteed trophies and a good style of play… to a negative style of play and fighting for the odd trophy.

Fair enough. But with what you’ve just said… if I was a player one of the last clubs I’d want to play for is Atl Madrid. Surely your ambitions have to be higher than that. Go from guaranteed trophies and a good style of play… to a negative style of play and fighting for the odd trophy.
On the contrary, neither madrid nor barca are particularly dominant these days, didn't Girona lead the table for awhile? I'd say Atletico have as good a chance now as any, though he's already won everything so I doubt more trophies was his priority. Probably just wants to live in sunny Spain for awhile while still playing CL football.

Probably over priced, but who isn't in football nowadays.

I think he'll be an excellent signing for them, brilliant player.

On the contrary, neither madrid nor barca are particularly dominant these days, didn't Girona lead the table for awhile? I'd say Atletico have as good a chance now as any, though he's already won everything so I doubt more trophies was his priority. Probably just wants to live in sunny Spain for awhile while still playing CL football.
Ye that makes sense. A lot of players love the sunny weather so that could play a big part.

United has some of the best scouts in the business. They often recommend the right players

People somehow blame scouts for not signing a player when we have a team to do that. We were linked with Alvarez, Haaland, Bellingham, Caicedo, iirc Enzo too.

On what planet is he worth that much? Surely can't be ours?

I don't trust Atleti to be above board honestly. The whole Griezmann to Barca and back drama had backroom dealing written all over it as well. They do drop an insane fee once in a while so maybe it's legit but 115 FC so guilty until proven innocent.

If you think he isn't worth 20M+€ than Hojlund you are having a laugh.

£82m. Atletico are run by idiots, now I'm sure of it.

This guy is worth around half that. Good to see that even on here, there are at least some posters who can see how overrated Álvarez is. Casuals will have you believe he's a world beater, because he has good ball striking, and all he has to do in the well-oiled machine that City are, is to find himself in free space and receive the ball, and he gets easy scoring opportunities basically every game. You can find many players for much less than £82m who can do these things. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he flopped at Atletico, a much inferior side to Manchester City who won't even dominate a lot of their games. At least he seemingly has a good mentality and is a hard worker out of possession, which is definitely something that Simeone will value highly. But like I said, and another poster @troylocker explained very well, his best qualities are common for good footballers, he isn't a rare physical and technical combination at all.

If you think he isn't worth 20M+€ than Hojlund you are having a laugh.

Hojlund is twice the player. If Alvarez is 80m pounds in today's market, then Hojlund should be 120 million at least.

Worth it for one of the few top forwards around nowadays.

A lot of money sure but he was one of City's best players in the first half of last season, they didnt miss De Bruyne much with Alvarez playing

So you have the option of playing him as a striker or off the striker and he will score and create goals for others

For Atletico he's a massive improvement in both roles and could play with any of their attackers

My only concern would be Atletico's style of play probably wont help an attacking player prove they are worth just over £65 million up front. Griezmann had 16 goals and 6 assists and if he does well I could maybe see 20-25 goals and 7 assists or something like that from Alvarez. So thats not really the numbers you'd want from a transfer that large, but I'm not sure any one player is going to get much more than that in Simeone's solid system

Edit - Very different team styles but it'll be interesting to compare Alvarez's end product Vs. Bellingham and Mbappe next season. Think he could potentially outdo one of them

Amazing the fees City & Chelsea are able to generate by selling their:

- 2nd choice players,
- young players without any first team experience
- rejects.

EUR 75m + 20 in add-ons is insane for this guy. He is a good player but nowhere worth that amount.

Again perhaps City's best player in the first half of the season. He certainly wasnt as good in the 2nd half but he was a main player in keeping them in the title race before their best players got going in the 2nd half of the season

d9acbfc333856f2a0c37e771e77a423a.png

Last edited:
It's actually a little bit hard to assess him - was he made to look better because of the City well-oiled machine, or will he actually go up a level in a less systemic environment? The fee isn't actually that shocking, it's a lot of course, but it's also pretty much on par for his profile of player across European football.

The add-ons do send it into a different level of fee, which depending on how hard they are to activate could make the transfer a lot less reasonable.

- 2nd choice players,
- rejects.

EUR 75m + 20 in add-ons is insane for this guy. He is a good player but nowhere worth that amount.

This might be the first time on here that we agree on something. :lol:

Again perhaps City's best player in the first half of the season. He certainly wasnt as good in the 2nd half but he was a main player in keeping them in the title race before their best players got going in the 2nd half of the season

Do you see anything in this video that justifies spending 82 million pounds on him? I see good ball striking, good positioning, good finishing, and a lot of goal-scoring opportunities where he found himself in a lot of space and even had time to take a few touches before shooting, despite being in the centre of the opposition's box while they're defending deep. It's easy to see how much he benefitted from City's dominant approach where simply the combo of being decent at positioning yourself and striking the ball is enough the score a good number of goals per season. He won't have that luxury at Atlético. PSG would've been a better move for him where he could've been in a similar environment: several big chances every game just by finding empty space and being able to strike the ball well.

Let's be clear, It's not a big fee given current market. Not even remotely. No matter how his carreer developes in Aleti. It's an smaller fee than sometimes it's paid for DMs or even just starting 18 years old promising forwards.

Yet for me once he was in the path of becoming those great and excellent all around forwards, that compensate their lack of born Crack abilities with his intelligence and all around game and I feel that for many reasons he has stagnated (reasons within himself and others regarding the way City plays and players management in general in that club). Right now, he is in a very moot point.

He has become a pressuring machine and for moments almost just that.
He has left his initial generosity, combined with his confident second forward abilty with lots of goals + pressuring and intelligence to find spaces, to missing easy chances (not even finding himself too much in those situations either) and be too mush rushed the whole time while doubling his already very generous pressuring outfit.

He is so focused in pressuring that he many times receives the ball tired and becomes more clouncy than he is, he is a become a player capable of holding it and put a great change of flank and loosing the ball cheaply the next play...

I dunno what would happen with him in Aleti, if he would become expose with his current level and add more pressure to himself or if el Cholo finds a better role for him and starts to find the net easier and recover his best all around game.

Right now it's a mistery what would happen with him. I was very glad that being Argie we where in the path of finding our very own Müller, jack for all trades, right now he might finds himself in a tough spot that he might find himself stagnated in just a good to sometimes very good player with a serious lack of defining role.

In City Julian at the beggining was capable of finding goals out of nothing, by a strike from outside the box, by presusuring, very few real asssits were deliverd to him. Ocassionaly a good combination with Foden or Erling, in his last season the times that he found himself with a clear ocassion he looked knackered and with some sort of lack of confidence to put the ball in the net. Now he goes to a team that with if because of his current form if they use him with space on counters he might not have the confidence to burry chances, that he might find again running all over the pitch pressuring, that he won't have a team that even if not always playing to his initial or best strenghts, he might not see the ball much.

So it's a big question mark what would become of him, to stay were he is: a good to very good polivalent forward with a merely good tally and a good all around game.
To crash and find himself in an even worse situation, lossing more confidence, less goals, less game.
Or to recover his best self, his confindence and thrive in a more vertical approach and finding the net again more regularly.

In any case one thing is certain, he will bring effort in spades, but he at the same time must found himself dizzie in his very own pressuring game and lack of real role.

PD:
Lots of people seems to not see City at all if they think that even for Erling City is a team that puts you time and again in front of an empty net in the best moment, or better said that it's a team that continuosly delivers balls with advantage to direct and vertical players.
It's far from that case. City it's a team that too many times makes you run time and again into spaces just to use you as a decoy and keep the ball sideways or not risking it at all. That might put a forward in an spot where he finds himself pressure by the rivals and his won team in very tight spaces.
At some point even with both scoring a lot, it was noticeable frustrating for more direct players like Erling and Julian to run time and again without receiving the ball back. Erling will always survive, because he has that box capability of findng the ball almost always, even when missing tons, he'll bury one most of times, but he certainly misses too many times those runs into space on the break from former teams and such, taking advantage of his pace and stregth.

His production at these Olympics were quite poor, given that he had more pedigree than almost all players. A glimpse of his performance as a 'main man'?

Nonetheless Atletico Madrid has ridiculously low expectations. They can be 3rd for many years straight and crash out without shooting on target in UCL every year and people still praise Simeone and their team.

Real Madrid just had their third best league season ever, point-wise. Pretty dominant.

I dont watch City a lot, but Alvarez was a mainstay in my FPL last season, and always got me a lot of points in both assists and goals. Think it will work out for them well enough, and he was NOT a bench player for City, he played a lot.

Julian Alvarez's market value in transfermarkt was 60m a year ago and went up to 80m in October 2023. I think the transfer is a risk, but it's not like he was considered worthless until now.

By comparison, Hojlund's market value on transfermarkt was 45m last summer.

Solid acquisition for Atletico, who face Real on September 29, a night I will be in Madrid. Question is…should I spend €800 for two tickets that are ok but not amazing seats, or just watch the game at a tapas bar?

Always rated him as a player. Atletico really has the personnel to challenge for La Liga. Cholo just needs to get it right away from home.

Utter tripe. Hojlund is so clearly the superior player, it isn't even close

Have you even watched both players?
I have, have you?

Hojlund has been injured for half the time he was here.
He was kept out of starting line up for the FA Cup final, as well as the quarterfinal against Liverpool, on top of having a poor Euros.

Nothing against the guy, I think he’s a decent player and hopefully improves further, Atalanta rinsed us massively but it is what is.

Alvarez is very obviously the better and more proven player as of now, both for a successful Premier League team and for his national team.

Hope this helps.

- 2nd choice players,
- rejects.

This guy is not 2nd choice or a young player with no first team experience.

He started 45 games last season.

Guess I haven't been paying attention. I didn't think Atletico had this kind of money.

We should have bought him at that price. Good deal for Atlético. City might miss him more than they think.