Julian Alvarez | 75m + 20m add-ons (Euros) fee agreed with Atletico

Very good and versatile player.

Given our need for a forward that can cover the flanks, and even the advanced midfield position, Alvarez would have been a good signing for us.

Though he'd have ended up playing all over the park and not have one real role to excel at, which seems to be part of the reason why he wanted to leave City in the first place.

This guy is not 2nd choice or a young player with no first team experience.

He started 45 games last season.
I actually didn't realize he started so many games. Wow!

But he is a second choice striker and only started so many games because De Bruyne got injured. He is not one of the first names on the team sheet. Close a 100m EUR all included for such a squad player is bonkers, imo.

But he is a second choice striker and only started so many games because De Bruyne got injured. He is not one of the first names on the team sheet. Close a 100m EUR all included for such a squad player is bonkers, imo.

They're not paying 100 million euros or anywhere close to that.

He’s second to Haaland at Manchester City. Weird rhetoric. Woulda sold Hojland in a second for this guy

He’s second to Haaland at Manchester City. Weird rhetoric. WoIt's ulda sold Hojland in a second for this guy
It's not a rhetoric. It's the reality. He is their second choice striker.

We massively overpaid for Hojlund, just like Atletico are doing for this guy.

He’s second to Haaland at Manchester City. Weird rhetoric. Woulda sold Hojland in a second for this guy

He's arguably not even a top 10 striker in the league

Haaland, Núnez, Isak, Hojlund, Ferguson, Watkins, Son, Havertz, Jesus, Toney, Solanke.

These players all offer way more, and/or have far greater peak potential than Álvarez.

Can arguably list Cunha and Rashford as well. The latter only if you deploy him up top in a counter-attacking setting, that's why his record vs the top 6 is so impressive. As a left winger Rashford is obviously miles better.

Jota/Trossard/Richarlison is the company where Álvarez belongs. Would you pay 82 million for any of those 3, even if they were Álvarez's age? It's not as bad as United buying Antony but it's a shocking piece of business from Atlético. Paying around twice his real value. Could well be a Félix/Lemar type mistake. Leaning towards that every day of the week rather than Álvarez suddenly turning into something he isn't and justifying the price tag.

Insane fee and have never watched him and thought this guy is a superb player.

Wonder what City are planning for the games Haaland misses. Foden or Bobb as false 9?

Haaland, Núnez, Isak, Hojlund, Ferguson, Watkins, Son, Havertz, Jesus, Toney, Solanke.

These players all offer way more, and/or have far greater peak potential than Álvarez.

Can arguably list Cunha and Rashford as well. The latter only if you deploy him up top in a counter-attacking setting, that's why his record vs the top 6 is so impressive. As a left winger Rashford is obviously miles better.

Jota/Trossard/Richarlison is the company where Álvarez belongs. Would you pay 82 million for any of those 3, even if they were Álvarez's age? It's not as bad as United buying Antony but it's a shocking piece of business from Atlético. Paying around twice his real value. Could well be a Félix/Lemar type mistake. Leaning towards that every day of the week rather than Álvarez suddenly turning into something he isn't and justifying the price tag.
You've really got it in for him to haven't you?

I've watched most of his games for City in person and can tell you that he's a calm, hard working, versatile, intelligent team player.
He's got an eye for goal and a decent free kick on him.
On the minus side he's not much in the air, not very physical and his tight control is lacking.
He needs this move to hold off Lautaro Martinez as Argentina's starting striker.
Spanish culture and warmer climate plus the spike in wages are nice little bonuses too.
Many of the names you mention are way behind him in important categories.
He's no superstar but he would upgrade most forward lines right now and still has room for improvement.

Trossard and Jota are much more consistent than Rashford, never mind the rest of the names you mentioned.

Alvarez Iooks a quality player from what I've seen of him, intelligent moment and passing, decent finisher.

I'm not going to argue about the fee being too much, but if we're buying players like Hojlund for 70 Mill, I don't think you can argue with it. Hojlund looks promising but if we're being honest, he hasn't looked as accomplished as Alvarez has for Man City.

I feel your post is doing a disservice to Alvarez, as well as the likes of Jota and Trossard who are much more effective and dangerous players than the likes of Hojlund and Rashford are for us most games.

I will concede that it remains to be seen whether he can play as well in a team that aren't as good as City, but he looks to me as though he has the raw materials to do so in much the same way as Palmer did.

I am convinced you have not watched this guy play much these last few years. Your posts here show a wild discrepancy between how you rate him and how the rest of the world does.

I have seen you say he has thrived in Argentina's setup because they are talented as if he was not a big reason why they are so talented. He took and kept Martinez's spot at the WC because he was better (granted, kind of the opposite happened at the Copa).

What an insulting post to Trossard especially the season he's had. Jesus, Rashford, Toney, Ferguson, Hojlund and Nunez, noone belongs anywhere near Haaland in the league.

I doubt you'd seen Alvarez play. He's excellent and very versatile and isn't your typical 'number 9'.

Atlético single handedly carrying La Liga's spending. Quite a splash from them.

This is an absolutely wild take.

95m EUR including add-ons is close to 100m I would say.
Including all possible addons is a mad way to judge the cost right now. If he ends up hitting the targets to meet the various classes it will be better value at 95 than it would be at 75 if he doesn't.

It's like Amad for you. If you end up paying 37 million, it's a bargain

75 mil for a striker that isn't even guaranteed to get you 20 goals in all comps. Games gone mad

Where have Atletico got this money from?
They are doing all sorts of skullduggery with Chelsea to get around FFP. I read a report today that the exchange for Gallagher and Samu will be done at GBP 38m now. Earlier it was understood that Gallagher will go to Atletico for less.

Including all possible addons is a mad way to judge the cost right now. If he ends up hitting the targets to meet the various classes it will be better value at 95 than it would be at 75 if he doesn't.

That doesn't mean we didn't overpay for Amad or Atletico aren't over paying for Alvarez.

If Alvarez and Diallo end up costing 95 mil and 40 mil, they'll both be better value than if they cost 75 mil and 18 mil (or whatever you have actually paid for Amad).
Yes, but that doesn't mean that they are worth the amount Atletico and us paid for them or will eventually end up paying for them.

That is very much dependent on the add-ons and how easy they are to achieve. If it's a reasonable amount of goals, CL qualification for the club, those kind of conditions, I'd strongly disagree. If it's league or CL wins or other types, sure. I haven't found a single outlet that has reported what those add-ons would be, so it's impossible to be as positive as you are being.

Just realised I get irrationally annoyed at the constant conflating of different currencies.

Reallly good player but I can’t help but feel he would always be ‘untapped’ potential if he stayed at City as he’ll never start over Haaland. His versatility has bode well for him at City but he needs a position to lock down and excel in and I can’t see that being as a second striker, attacking midfielder or wide forward.

Will be interesting to see how he fares at Atletico. I reckon he’ll truly explode into life and we’ll regard him as one of the most exciting forwards in the world (I might be underestimating him, I just don’t feel he has that reputation currently).

This is an absolutely wild take.
From the author of "Rashford is England's Mbappe" what did you expect ? :lol: There's no way he believes half of the things he say, he's just baiting reactions.

I think most posters here would swap Hojlund for Alvarez in a heartbeat and would be willing to pay extra..

(and rightfully so...)

I’m one of said posters. I think Atletico got themselves a real gem in their hands.

He’ll fit them very well.

Also, some of these takes are wild. Solanke and Toney better than Alvarez?

I'm curious if you even watch football. The only players on that list I'd say are clearly better than Alvarez are Haaland, Nunez, Isak and Watkins. Edit: I forgot Son.

Foden too slow to play as a 10 at City and not able to carry the ball despite being 4th fastest at the club and known for his dribbling.
Rashford the Mbappe of United.
Alvarez worse than Hojlund, Ferguson, Havertz, Jesus, Toney and Solanke... he's awfully lucky to have landed at City and won a world cup I guess.

But in the interests of discussion what makes World Cup, Copa America, Champions League, Premier League, Libertadores and Argentine League winning player at 24 not worth £75m, and why is a kid who had 10 goals in a top 5 European league in his entire career worth £64m before addons and more importantly a better player?

Fantastic player, massive price though but given the lack of top class strikers it's the market we're in. Wouldn't be at all surprised for him to get Griezman level of stats.

It's not a rhetoric. It's the reality. He is their second choice striker.

We massively overpaid for Hojlund, just like Atletico are doing for this guy.
Alvarez is twice the striker Holjund is.

A 95M player he is not, that's daylight robbery, even if I think that he will thrive in La Liga.

Either your bias is clouding your judgment or you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I'm curious if you even watch football. The only players on that list I'd say are clearly better than Alvarez are Haaland, Nunez, Isak and Watkins. Edit: I forgot Son.

Foden too slow to play as a 10 at City and not able to carry the ball despite being 4th fastest at the club and known for his dribbling.
Rashford the Mbappe of United.
Alvarez worse than Hojlund, Ferguson, Havertz, Jesus, Toney and Solanke... he's awfully lucky to have landed at City and won a world cup I guess.

But in the interests of discussion what makes World Cup, Copa America, Champions League, Premier League, Libertadores and Argentine League winning player at 24 not worth £75m, and why is a kid who had 10 goals in a top 5 European league in his entire career worth £64m before addons and more importantly a better player?

Wonder the same thing myself.

You biased and mistaken.