Julian Alvarez | 75m + 20m add-ons (Euros) fee agreed with Atletico

He has lots of potential still, excellent player. But its baffling how promising you strikers would entertain moving to Atletico.
With a history of making Torres, Aguero, Falcao come to prominence, I think they’ve done ok

A sub? He started 42 games for them last season.
indeed, and made 54 appearances, scoring 19 goals and 13 assists, if Haaland, KdB, Foden & B.Silva are the best front 4 and in form, then certainly Alvarez won't start ahead of them, but he made enough appearances the past season to be counted as a regular.

but the fee is still too much for someone like him, though it is up to what AM wants to shell out for him, they shelled out 120M for Felix who flopped eventually.

The conspiracy theorist in me says watch out for a large pot of sponsorship money going Atleticos way. But I am paranoid. :lol:
You joke but Saudi are a big sponsor for Atleti and Saudi want a certain ginger bloke who plays for City. Scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours…

You joke but Saudi are a big sponsor for Atleti and Saudi want a certain ginger bloke who plays for City. Scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours…
I also think the Trippier deal was suspect, didn’t Atletico get the Saudi sponsorship after that?

How wealthy are Atletico? They seem to drop mega transfers every so often.

The move itself is a great one for all parties involvement. Álvarez seems a good fit for Atlético; great pressing forward with good link-up play and a prolific goalscorer. After winning virtually all trophies in England, the player gets a move with an opportunity to solidify a starting spot in a title-challening team. As a bonus he gets to live in Madrid. At City, it became increasingly clear that he lacks the versatility to deputize for anyone but Haaland, with his touch being too heavy to play as a 10 and lacking the pace or dribbling proficiency to play as a winger. And a front two of Haaland and Álvarez would simply mean giving up too much control of the ball. Realistically, his minutes have also been inflated by De Bruyne missing half the season and he's most likely aware of that.

The fee seems high of course, but after the likes of Randal Kolo Muani, Darwin Núñez, Rasmus Højlund, Alexander Isak or Gonçalo Ramos it's more or less in line with the market for young strikers at the top end.

How wealthy are Atletico? They seem to drop mega transfers every so often.
When you regularly qualify for the Champions League and always go to the knockout phases you'll build up some capital off that. Plus they do well to sell on players and replace them without spending too much so they have a decent budget to splurge when needed.

Don't think the fee is out of the ordinary. He's very highly rated throughout Europe and has time on his contract so teams would want to pay a lot to get him. Even at transfermarkt he's rated at 90m EUR.

The fee seems high of course, but after the likes of Randal Kolo Muani, Darwin Núñez, Rasmus Højlund, Alexander Isak or Gonçalo Ramos it's more or less in line with the market for young strikers at the top end.
Exactly, Hojlund himself went for similar fee. Good deal for both parties.

There's probably 1000 Alvarez'es for every Haaland talent and special competence vice. Technique basics and involvements per game does not reflect talent or special competence in this case.
In other words: Alvarez is good, but his traits are quite common for a good footballer. Haaland is a one of a kind package.
Haaland is just a pure goalscorer. Who relies on his team to create. When his team doesn’t play well he’s not involved in the game.

Don't think the fee is out of the ordinary. He's very highly rated throughout Europe and has time on his contract so teams would want to pay a lot to get him. Even at transfermarkt he's rated at 90m EUR.

Think it's more that he's never really felt like a main man type player (which you'd expect of this fee) despite having impressive stats and looking great for both City and Argentina. Perhaps this is exactly the type of move that will make him a main man though and look like shrewd business in time.

I have no faith in this transfer fee. Some of the recent sketchy deals to Spanish clubs include Ferran Torres for 50 million, and even when Atletico bought Morata for 50 odd million from Chelsea. Something shady is going on outside of the transfer fee.

Feck's sake this will free up City to make a statement signing.

With a history of making Torres, Aguero, Falcao come to prominence, I think they’ve done ok
£82mil is alot, but he's 24 and will be their starting no9 for years to come. I guess he will have the score around 25-30 goals a season to be seen as a good investment. Whether he is capable of that is another thing....

Makes sense they only bid 20 million for Hancko now. They're spending their entire allowance on this City bencher.

75 million euros?

It's high but nowhere near "barmy".

Just last season, Lavia was 62 mil, Hojlund was 73 mil, Szoboszlai was 70 mil,

I think Alvarez is pretty reasonable compared to those.

They are also high fees.

Or this is just the market now. Guehi is going for the same amount as Alvarez.

True, Guehi and Branthwaite for example at high fees but I think that's also from a place of the clubs (Everton and Palace) not wanting to sell so putting a big fee as the asking price. City with Alvarez seem quite happy to negotiate however and not as 'adamant' in not wanting to sell.

The initial fee is £64m, we don’t know how easy the add ons are mind. You know if United were selling the add ons would be ignored, just like they were with VDB.

The player has to be unhappy living in England. I cannot see any other reason why you would leave City to go to Atletico. He’s getting regular game time.

75 million Euros for a 24 year old forward who started 42 games for Man City last season isn't "barmy" in 2024.

It's not low of course but it seems pretty reasonable.
It's 95 with add ons, or so I'm reading.

75 million Euros for a 24 year old forward who started 42 games for Man City last season isn't "barmy" in 2024.

It's not low of course but it seems pretty reasonable.

For me it's more that he's never felt like a 'main man' type player and it's yet to be seen if he can be or if the City system complements him like it has for many players in the past.

The initial fee is £64m, we don’t know how easy the add ons are mind. You know if United were selling the add ons would be ignored, just like they were with VDB.

The player has to be unhappy living in England. I cannot see any other reason why you would leave City to go to Atletico. He’s getting regular game time.
I think it's fantastic some great players don't settle for just getting game time. He wants to be the main striker somewhere, good on him. The same 4 clubs hogging all the top players and putting half of them on the bench is by far the shittest thing about modern football.

While certainly a high fee, it feels relatively normal to me. We payed similar amounts for Höjlund, who had done nothing at the time. Alvarez has won the World Cup and played a lot for City. It's big money, but it feels justified IMO.

No chance he comes anywhere near justifying that price tag. Unreal. Winning solves all problems.

I don't think the fees that outrageous tbh. I'd pay it. He's not your main man type of striker who can carry an attack on his back - but one of those at his age profile would cost £150m+.