Julian Alvarez | 75m + 20m add-ons (Euros) fee agreed with Atletico

Atletico mate, do you want to buy another bench warmer?
I hear Sancho lad is quite a workaholic, In playstation .

That fee seems outrageous. City probably financing this some way somehow

If they end up having to pay the addons, it means he's killed it for them and will be a better deal than if he's shit and costs 75.
Fair enough, though it does depend on the conditions for the add ons to be activated.

Definitely an upgrade on Depay though.

It's an impressive sale but really he ticks so many boxes, being young and actually good.

Compared to what United are trying to sell it's not surprising the difference in fees.

I think this is one of those deals that works out for everyone. He should be starting more games, and it's challenging to do that at City with their squad and who they have in the forward positions. It's a great price for City. At the same time, proven attacking players with good stats are like gold dust.

City seem to be have a good knack of knowing when to move players on. This is, realistically, the best time to sell the player for the highest value, as he isn't going to increase in value from this point onwards. From the perspective of money, it makes a lot of sense for them.

The question is who they'll bring into the squad, as they undoubtedly will. Also, the question marks of what moving on an attacking player like this could mean if there are injuries or if other players go out of form. There is a risk to this, but I don't think it's a very high one.

In isolation it looks like a high fee, however when you look at the fees for players like Nunez, Kolo Muani, the Portuguese guy that PSG signed, Rasmus etc. it seems that this is the going rate for a top young striker these days, and Alvarez has certainly looked better than all of them

He started 31 PL games last season. How?! It feels like he played maybe half of that.

He's certainly better than Hojlund and that was £72mil

He started 31 PL games last season. How?! It feels like he played maybe half of that.

It was the timing of KDB and Hasland’s injuries. Started in KDB’s place all fall then right when he came back Haaland got injured for a while.

80m my lord, how they got that much for him should be applauded.

None of our bench player can even be sold for 25m let a alone 80m.

I feel like he is actually worth that kind of money though, considering the market. He's been overshadowed by the machine, but he's pretty good himself and a proven winner.

80m my lord, how they got that much for him should be applauded.

None of our bench player can even be sold for 25m let a alone 80m.

Kept him for two seasons, and then sold him on for a great fee. They also got good usage out of him, as he scored 36 goals in 103 games.

In comparison, Jadon Sancho will now be going into his fourth season with us. He has 12 goals in 82 games. Antony is going into his third season with 11 in 82.

The difference with us is that we hold into our players for too long and let them depreciate. We give too many players another season to 'come good', and when it doesn't happen, we give them another one because there were 'signs' and we just need 'x' to happen before they can reach their potential.

The comparison here is that Alvarez has been a good player for City and they moved him on anyway. And they'll replace him and do fine without him.

Surely has to weaken City. I thought he suited them Haaland.

Unless they've got another backup striker?

I don't think the fees that outrageous tbh. I'd pay it. He's not your main man type of striker who can carry an attack on his back - but one of those at his age profile would cost £150m+.

He's not even that good to be anywhere close to that valuation.

With a history of making Torres, Aguero, Falcao come to prominence, I think they’ve done ok
(The good) Torres and Aguero didn’t play under Simeone.
75 million euros is crazy.
We bought Hojlund for roughly the same, after he scored 9 goals for Atalanta.
Alvarez is a better player, also much more proven both at City and for Argentina.

Wonder if City bother to bring a replacement, they’ve won the league with Jesus before so maybe they won’t.

Last edited:
That fee seems outrageous. City probably financing this some way somehow
Now that I read it, I cannot not consider it possible, or even plausible. I mean, they already have 115 charges for financial fraud, what is one more, right?

Torres and Aguero didn’t play under Simeone.

We bought Hojlund for roughly the same, after he scored 9 goals for Atalanta.
Alvarez is a better player, also much more proven both at City and for Argentina.

Wonder if City bother to bring a replacement, they’ve won the league with Jesus before so maybe they won’t.

Its easier to look better in a Pep system surrounded by superstars and an Argentina team stacked with talent.

Didn’t realise he’s asked to leave. Why would anyone ask to leave who’s guaranteed trophies every year unless he ain’t getting game time but he got quite a lot of game time last year I believe. The massive profit they’ll be getting makes good reason to cash in though.
He's won everything and sees himself good enough to be a starter. I don't think it's about the number of minutes but the knowledge that when the big games come, he won't be starting. At some point, a player wants to feel he is a protagonist especially when they think they're good enough. I think it makes perfect sense and his ambition has to be lauded.

He’s absolutely worth this amount and has already proven to be one of the best strikers around. With the global shortage in his position, I’m not surprised, especially considering the money we payed for much less proven Hojlund.
I was thinking he’s not very ambitious agreeing to play second fiddle to Haaland when he could be starting for almost any team on the planet, so fair enough he pushed for a transfer. Great player and I wish it was us who signed him earlier on, not fecking City.

I'd be very surprised if they ever make a profit on him, even if he does improve.
I don’t know if they’ll make a profit, but he’s only 24. I could totally see him having two-three good seasons in Spain before coming back to Chelsea or so for 80m+. Atleti are great at selling

It's crazy the things they can pull off, and so quickly. Impressive stuff. But I guess it helps being the top dog. If that's all...

Why didn't we try to get him
City obviously wouldn’t sell him to a PL team now, nevermind to us. Why we didn’t try to get him few years back remains a mystery and we can only applaud our former structure, scouts and managers. He was one of the most certain to make it big