Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Looks short of match fitness due to not playing at all at the Euros. Can’t believe Depay and Weghorst played more than him. For a big guy he definitely has a good touch and showed great control and composure to direct the ball to the goal. Hope he kicks on because I feel he will offer us something different up front. He can finish but he can also link up play and be creative.

Lovely finish, from a really nice move that he was heavily involved in. Liked seeing him drop deep, lay it off and then look to get in the box.

He has something about him, cannot really put my finger on it yet. But it is nice to have a different option like him.

United strikers who score on their debut always go on to have a good career at the club. I’m 90% certain this is a fact.
What about Antony debut... Not a striker but he did score against Arsenal on his debut then you know what happened

What about Antony debut... Not a striker but he did score against Arsenal on his debut then you know what happened
Unlike Antony, Zirkzee has footballing ability. So it’s not a very good comparison

Caf was ready to turn on him already. Seen comments that he looked too big or is lazy because he wasnt pressing (read : running around aimlessly). But in the end he scored a goal on his debut after hardly any pre-seaon and made the posters look stupid.

Oh yeah the match thread was hilariously stupid to read at points. I've even said I think he'll be disliked by a certain section of our fan base simply because he doesn't run around and wrestle defenders and look like a chicken with his head cut off all the time.

Relief when he scored and he kept the ball well and looked good on the ball after his goal, up until that point was a bit anonymous although a bit harsh to criticise that on his first game as a sub in a tight game, especially scoring the winner.

Think people will be shocked at how good this guys dribbling and passing is. He's not just a "hold up play" type that gets the ball and lays it off. If RVN can get him to be more instinctual in the box we have a potential world beater because the natural technical levels are super high for someone his size.

His technique and size makes him the ultimate safety blanket for our other players.

What was that celebration!?

Besides that he looked extremely tidy. Nice touches, quick feat, the right passess at the right time. Looks more like a 10 than a striker to me from that brief cameo. Either way, looks promising.

Reminiscent of a hybrid of Zlatan and Berbatov. I really liked the lad before he came here, but did worry we might need a full-on goalscorer. Hopefully he'll prove that idea wrong too!

Oh yeah the match thread was hilariously stupid to read at points. I've even said I think he'll be disliked by a certain section of our fan base simply because he doesn't run around and wrestle defenders and look like a chicken with his head cut off all the time.

He will be disliked. The same people who hated Martial will not like Zirkzee either.

They are mostly just stuck in the past where the ideal number 9 is a tall bloke who stands in the box and is good at heading and fighting with defenders.

He scored so atleast there will be a few days without any of those hilariously stupid to read posts.

He will be disliked. The same people who hated Martial will not like Zirkzee either.

They are mostly just stuck in the past where the ideal number 9 is a tall bloke who stands in the box and is good at heading and fighting with defenders.

He scored so atleast there will be a few days without any of those hilariously stupid to read posts.

Zirkzee’s hold up play was good today. So I’m not seeing the Martial comparisons.

he looked lively, big and technically sound for a player without preseason. So I would say we can be pretty excited about him. Good vision too on one of the counters. Could easily replace Hojlund too, who seem to be only good runner into space. Zirkzee can help with the build up and Bruno or Garnachao, can be brought into play more often. Great debut from him. Confidence booster.

Zirkzee’s hold up play was good today. So I’m not seeing the Martial comparisons.

Martial had great hold up play. They are similar in that aspect. Martial however had more tools in his box in terms of his dribbling. The only issue was his injuries.

He looked tidy in possession, which is a huge plus as barely any of our other players seem capable of keeping the ball.

Hopefully his hold up play is always this good.

I dont get this. Are you saying Martial wasnt good at hold up play?

The latter stages of broken Martial wasnt good at anything and could hardly even walk but earlier version Martial had good hold up play.

Martial had great hold up play. They are similar in that aspect. Martial however had more tools in his box in terms of his dribbling. The only issue was his injuries.

Nah, he didn’t. Maybe one game in five. Those other four games his hold up play involved chucking himself on the ground at the first hint of contact and looking forlornly at the ref. That and losing every single aerial duel.

Just watched the highlights. Lovely finish from him to be fair, he knows to give it a little touch to redirect towards the corner.

Strange player. Looks technically excellent, like a giant number 10 as he seems to float around behind where you’d expect the striker to be.

Doesn’t seem to be massively quick but I’m sure I read that he should be fine pressing, so hopefully he was just playing a bit defensively because we went a goal up.

Looked like a giant when he came on, you wouldn't think a player of his size is is good on the ball but he was. Kinda felt that he could lose some weight but probably I'm being harsh.

He kind of reminds me of Berbatov, in terms of being a big guy but solid on the ball. Did look like he needs to build fitness though.

Great start, buzzing for the lad.

Fancied this signing when we did it, think this lad has massive potential.

I was literally basing it off one all-touches video and one season's highlights video on YouTube, but I had a good feeling about this one too. Looks so good technically, and there seems to be a real intelligence about his movement to my untrained eye. I do think he'll frustrate me at times by being slow to get into the box though.