Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Think he'll press more in the future, as he's kind of known for pressing a little more then he did today. Might not have been fully fit.

Thought he'd stolen that celebration off of McTominay but he actually scored!

Nah, he didn’t. Maybe one game in five. Those other four games his hold up play involved chucking himself on the ground at the first hint of contact and looking forlornly at the ref. That and losing every single aerial duel.

Martial's hold up and link up play was very good and culminated in probably the best attacking season our front 3/4 had had since under Fergie (and since then). Aerial duels were not his strength but coming into space receving the ball and laying it off he was very good at.

Joshua Zirkzee is the sixth Netherlands man to score on his Old Trafford debut for Man United after Jordi Cruyff, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Robin van Persie, Alexander Buttner and Donny van de Beek.

Yeah after the goal he seemed a bit more confident and some of his touches and passes looked nice. Hopefully the start of a great career with Utd.

Martial's hold up and link up play was very good and culminated in probably the best attacking season our front 3/4 had had since under Fergie (and since then). Aerial duels were not his strength but coming into space receving the ball and laying it off he was very good at.

He had one season where he was full of confidence and bang on form, in what? 9 years?
Aside from that his hold up play was all over the shop, you had no idea from game to game.

He had one season where he was full of confidence and bang on form, in what? 9 years?
Aside from that his hold up play was all over the shop, you had no idea from game to game.

And in that 1 season where he was playing as a 9 and fully fit for the season he had the best link up play of any striker we had post Fergie resulting in our best attacking season of our front 3/4 (and as someone who thought Ole was out of his depth it pains me to defend his seasons).

Was the guy constantly injured, yup, no need to try and erase the fact the guy's link up play was good. Of all the strikers we had post Fergie he is one of the few whom you could ping the ball to his feet and he could control it under pressure and lay it off to someone.

Was in the stadium and I thought he struggled to get himself into the game to start with but once he got a few touches he shown some nice technical abilities.

He did a nice reverse pass to Garnacho. He looks a clever player.

And in that 1 season where he was playing as a 9 and fully fit for the season he had the best link up play of any striker we had post Fergie resulting in our best attacking season of our front 3/4 (and as someone who thought Ole was out of his depth it pains me to defend his seasons).

Was the guy constantly injured, yup, no need to try and erase the fact the guy's link up play was good. Of all the strikers we had post Fergie he is one of the few whom you could ping the ball to his feet and he could control it under pressure and lay it off to someone.

Even when fit, before & after that season he’d more often than not fall over from barely a touch.
One good season holding up the ball in 9 doesn’t make it the norm, quite the opposite.

That just isn’t true. He was at the club for nearly 10 years. You are not describing the player I watched over that period of time. Apply the same logic to Marcus Rashford and he’s a goal a game striker.

Great start for him, and a proper striker's finish. That will give him a massive confidence boost.

Great finish. Maybe didn’t touch the ball all that much but the touches he did have were impressive. Seemed to just effortlessly get it under control or move it on when not so ideal balls were played in to him.

Nice finish and some good touches. I think he’ll be a useful player for us.

…Looks like he had a very tough paper round.

That just isn’t true. He was at the club for nearly 10 years. You are not describing the player I watched over that period of time. Apply the same logic to Marcus Rashford and he’s a goal a game striker.

And you're not describing the same player by saying he was a player who just fell over 4 games out of 5. He was here for 9 years, his first 4/5 of which were as a winger/wide forward. When he was switched to a 9 by Ole his defining feature was that we finally had a striker who could make the ball stick and bring the wingers into play. He wasn't a poacher, he wasn't some big lump up forward, he was someone who glued that forward line together by dropping into space, laying off or running at the defence (not even sure why we are trying to rewrite history). After that his injury issues essentially made him useless for us.

Anyway this is a Zirkzee thread. If he can provide what Martial provided in that season then I think we will see the likes of Bruno and Rashford have better seasons.

He will be disliked. The same people who hated Martial will not like Zirkzee either.

They are mostly just stuck in the past where the ideal number 9 is a tall bloke who stands in the box and is good at heading and fighting with defenders.

He scored so atleast there will be a few days without any of those hilariously stupid to read posts.
True

He will be disliked. The same people who hated Martial will not like Zirkzee either.

They are mostly just stuck in the past where the ideal number 9 is a tall bloke who stands in the box and is good at heading and fighting with defenders.

He scored so atleast there will be a few days without any of those hilariously stupid to read posts.
I think you’re bang on. There’s this myth that Utd fans like flair players but truth be told I think it’s just that a myth. Martial was electric at his best and produced some great moments for the club yet look at the disrespect he gets. This fanbase wants output and output alone. Flair doesn’t have a place for the vast majority of our fans.

Anyway rant out the way, I know for a fact I’ll bloody love him. My kind of forward.

He’s a unit. Will definitely ruffle some opposition feathers.

I know it's a silly thing but this is what I noticed the most. He did really well but he's just so notably massive.

Everything about him, his head is huge, his shoulders, he towered above De Ligt.

I think he's the player that we have had with the biggest natural frame since Ibrahimavic. Bigger than Maguire.

No idea what this means but bloody massive.

What a weird debut. Up until the goal, it was like we were playing with 10 men, lost all composure, not exclusively because of him, but rather the complete team getting tired. He was nowhere to be seen in the game.

However, I loved that guided finish. You can see that his confidence skyrocketed after that.

Maybe you are talking about some one else as the qualities you have mentioned apart from link up and messing up that 8/10 times was not associated with Martial.

Maybe you are talking about some one else as the qualities you have mentioned apart from link up and messing up that 8/10 times was not associated with Martial.
Or maybe he’s right and you have the memory of a gold fish?

I think people saw his low goal tally and assumed he's a bad finisher or he's not a striker. Even by looking at his highlights from last season, you can tell he's a good finisher and can finish with both feet. His problem appeared to be getting on the end of chances as he mostly spent time outside the box dropping deep.

Here's hoping we can help him improve on that as he's clearly a very good player. He's not as explosive as Hojlund in his running whos a different style of player but he's certainly better technically. We are now actually starting to have different options in our team which is great to see.

His hold up play was all over the place and when he did have his one good season it coincided with Marcus having a good season and the emergence of Greenwood.

He looks like a proper unit, for a player of his size, his technique is so good. All assured touches, when we struggled to hold the ball in last few mins, his ability to kill the ball and play it to player in space helped us a lot. He did from tight spaces.

Will be interesting to see how we set up when Hojlund is back. We will have good options.

I think people saw his low goal tally and assumed he's a bad finisher or he's not a striker. Even by looking at his highlights from last season, you can tell he's a good finisher and can finish with both feet. His problem appeared to be getting on the end of chances as he mostly spent time outside the box dropping deep.

Here's hoping we can help him improve on that as he's clearly a very good player. He's not as explosive as Hojlund in his running whos a different style of player but he's certainly better technically. We are now actually starting to have different options in our team which is great to see.
Watching the game on US tv and the co-commentators were talking (Dixon and Le Saux) about how they were surprised we’d signed him because he was so similisr to Hojlund. “A big target man”, “must be the way Ten Hag likes to play”, “but it is strange that he’d go for two players with exactly the same profile and not look for a different option”. I laughed at their ignorance.

Then as the game unfolded and he kept dropping deep to pick it up with silky touches and then did it for the goal, you could hear the surprise in the voices gradually start to enter as they began to doubt themselves, ultimately covering by saying “and he dropped deep there Graeme, which isn’t his normal game but maybe that’s what Van Nistelrooy’s asked him to do, and started the move that created the goal, and then finished it in typical big man style.”

And these people get paid a LOT of money for their “expert” opinions. I mean if you can’t seriously even be bothered to do a tiny bit of research or don’t have any working knowledge of a player as high profile as Zirkzee, then you shouldn’t be on tv commentating on a high profile game. Ugh.

Do you have any idea what you’re on about? Martial was frequently not interested in performing for the team, his injury record was awful and his form was very erratic. When he played well and was motivated he was always given more than enough praise. Him not being a Ruud type of striker certainly wasn’t something the fans had issue with, his finishing was superb generally and his hold up play (subject to his demeanour on the day) was also very good. He was rightfully criticised for his lack of application.
If Zirkzee continues as he is, the fans will quickly take to him.

Do you have any idea what you’re on about? Martial was frequently not interested in performing for the team, his injury record was awful and his form was very erratic. When he played well and was motivated he was always given more than enough praise. Him not being a Ruud type of striker certainly wasn’t something the fans had issue with, his finishing was superb generally and his hold up play (subject to his demeanour on the day) was also very good. He was rightfully criticised for his lack of application.
If Zirkzee continues as he is, the fans will quickly take to him.
I get what he's saying. Zirkzee is very much like a Berbatov or a martial. He looks like he isn't working hard, he plays pretty relaxed and not with that much intensity, and it runs some people the wrong way. Berbatov got loads of criticism on here and I think Zirkzee will be the same.

I think you’re bang on. There’s this myth that Utd fans like flair players but truth be told I think it’s just that a myth. Martial was electric at his best and produced some great moments for the club yet look at the disrespect he gets. This fanbase wants output and output alone. Flair doesn’t have a place for the vast majority of our fans.

Anyway rant out the way, I know for a fact I’ll bloody love him. My kind of forward.
It's not flair vs not flair. Fans like seeing exciting players who play with speed and intensity mainly. Zirkzee isn't necessarily a flair player, but he is more a composed and relaxed player. He doesn't seem to play with much intensity. It'll definitely rub people the wrong way. Same as Martial, he didn't bust a gut constantly so people got on his back. Guys like Garnacho have plenty of flair but also you can see the intensity he plays with, so fans love that.

Watching the game on US tv and the co-commentators were talking (Dixon and Le Saux) about how they were surprised we’d signed him because he was so similisr to Hojlund. “A big target man”, “must be the way Ten Hag likes to play”, “but it is strange that he’d go for two players with exactly the same profile and not look for a different option”. I laughed at their ignorance.

Then as the game unfolded and he kept dropping deep to pick it up with silky touches and then did it for the goal, you could hear the surprise in the voices gradually start to enter as they began to doubt themselves, ultimately covering by saying “and he dropped deep there Graeme, which isn’t his normal game but maybe that’s what Van Nistelrooy’s asked him to do, and started the move that created the goal, and then finished it in typical big man style.”

And these people get paid a LOT of money for their “expert” opinions. I mean if you can’t seriously even be bothered to do a tiny bit of research or don’t have any working knowledge of a player as high profile as Zirkzee, then you shouldn’t be on tv commentating on a high profile game. Ugh.
Yea I watched the game on the USA channel and was infuriated with the shite they were spouting. Clearly they haven't got a clue and was wishing they never got the chance to host the World Cup. It will be more of the same half baked analysis.

Hojlund and Zirkzee couldn't be any more different in their play styles. The only thing they have in common is their height. Also, calling Zirkzee a big lump is doing him a disservice as I've seen someone call him that in another thread. He has a lotttttt more to his game to be called a big lump.

They must have been banned on Youtube and thus had little to no access to information.

Nah, he didn’t. Maybe one game in five. Those other four games his hold up play involved chucking himself on the ground at the first hint of contact and looking forlornly at the ref. That and losing every single aerial duel.
Martial's hold up play was strangely inconsistent where he could have one game where he'd completely dominate the defenders then the very same defenders would dominate him the next time they met, but I wouldn't agree it was only one in five. Well, maybe in his worst seasons, but overall it was probably a 50/50 thing.

Forgetting his quality for a moment, the guy just has good vibes. Soft spoken and always smiling. He'll be a good addition to the dressing room.

Martial was adored early but obviously results trumps flair. Pogba, Martial etc all suffered disrespect largely due to poor results. Nani for example is still loved because he played in a winning team even though they're all probably around the same level of flair/consistency.

Football forums and YouTube are full of passionate fans giving incredibly detailed break downs and nuanced tactical analysis. Meanwhile on TV we get lazy pundits living off past glories who just parrot assumptions and cliches because they haven’t bothered to do the most basic research.

You guys are forgetting that in ETH first season, we played our best football when Martial played. Hell, our best football post Fergie mostly always had Martial involved including when he was linking up with Zlatan and Rooney in his younger years and that season with Greenwood and Rashford.

Most of you Man Utd fans are ungrateful feckers even after he came out to say he Ole ran him into the ground when he had injuries so he essentially became injury prone because of the coach/club. He should be hailed as a hero but you sorry lots will only criticize him

Reminds me of Jose hating he and Pogba's guts and yet they were the two players who kept him in the job far longer than he deserved or would have without them. United fans here really annoy me on the Martial issue because you can't see past your biases to the Truth of the man and how much he has sacrificed for this club (his effing body) just because he doesn't act like a rabid dog chasing after every loose ball

You guys should go look at his history with the club with objective and clear eyes and stop sullying his name, he gave you a lot of your best memories post SAF and only gets disrespect and scorn in return. Shame on you lot

He will link our attack with midfield. We have already worked on closing the gap between midfield and defence ( although there were instances yesterday where Mainoo was surrounded by 5 Fulham players, but we did okay overall for first game). Swapping him with Bruno and playing Bruno in place of Mount will be my first change for the next game

It's seems that the pigeonholing Zirkzee mania that plagued the Serie A last season had infected the EPL. In Italy they likened him to Totti, Ibra and Toni. In my opinion he's a freak. He's a 6ft4 striker whose gifted with rare technique, who loves to drop deep, he's got huge work rate and while having a decent eye for goal is the most unselfish strikers out there. His former manager, Motta said that the guy would rather pass the ball than score himself.

Regarding Martial.

A- Martial was so much loved that it became a cult. Martial FC survived up till last season when it became undeniable that the guy is a waste space
B- Even in his prime he lacked the workrate and physical prowess Zirkzee has