Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Not really we have that already in Hojlund, the issue is more how the side combines to create chances as you could argue that when playing both Rashford and Garnacho we have two forwards who want to get narrow and behind teams to score, so it suits us to have a striker like Zirkzee who wants to drop deep and link play so that you have a set of complementary runs being made (one player starting high and dropping deep, whilst others start deep and try to get in behind).

The problem with Hojlund is it's part of his natural game to want to make the same type of runs as Garnacho and Rashford (the type you describe in behind) so it makes us less cohesive and predictable. Its no coincidence that we look a more fluid side when employing a false 9 for this reason.

Zirkzee movement and hold up play should open up scoring opportunities for the whole team, its then up to us to be more clinical but the fact that we create so little for Hojlund and would likely do for another striker like him is down to the two forwards either side of him who are much more goal driven than creative. Zirkzee should balance that out.

I don’t think that’s true at all, I think Garnacho is very much a creator as well as a goal threat.

I don’t think that’s true at all, I think Garnacho is very much a creator as well as a goal threat.

He can be as his game continues to grow however he is well known and its has been highlighted on this same forum the amount of times both he and Rashford don't pass to Hojlund when he's in good position to score.

At the moment and in fairness throughout most of his time in the youth team Garnacho has been known very much as an individualist who at times much like Rashford need to get his head up and assess the options around him before shooting.

Between the early deal, the excitement of Yoro and the duo from Bayern, and no participation in the preseason one can forget he was even here. Least exciting transfer, at least for me, and I'm keeping my expectations pretty low. Better than another 30-year-old, though.

But he offers something different to Hojlund at least, and will have to step up since that one is already injured. Still, interested to see how he does. I just hope he can stay fit.

Man Utd 1:0 Fulham New
What a start for him!! Matchwinner on your debut..

I think it took him 20 minutes to touch his first ball, but he had so many fine touches to keep possession, also after the goal.. And the winning goal to top it off.. What a performance!

Generational touches. His hold up play will be crucial against big teams.

Winner was nicely taken but the sweet touches in the last few mins that show his potential to be a cohesive force for the attack were the really intriguing part of that cameo.

Probably underselling it a little but I think we can safely assume, he's the best player to ever play for the club.

Barely a touch and no effect after he came on, but then got involved with a pass out wide and then a very good finish. I admit I thought McTominay got the touch at first but that was a very good finish from Zirkzee and an important goal.

If he does this, get on the end of chances in the box and put them in the net in most appearances this season he'll have been a great signing. This is a very good start...

Goal aside, looked sharp as a tack. Brilliant cameo.

Proper deft finish. He seems very good technically.

I said least exciting signing for me and he scores the winner on his debut. :lol: :lol:

Winner was nicely taken but the sweet touches in the last few mins that show his potential to be a cohesive force for the attack were the really intriguing part of that cameo.
No reason why instead of Bruno and Mount up top we can’t have zirkzee and hojlund.

Could be fun if they can build a rapport together.

Took a while to get into it but when he did he showed some nice touches. Glad he's scored too.

His link up play was joy to watch. He showed today how striker can be involved in attack despite not "getting service".

Once he started to get involved in the game he looked promising, and will be a much better option than Bruno/Mount.

Considering finishing is supposed to be his weakest attribute, that was some finish.

Whatever about the goal, some of his passes and flicks were lovely and very accurate.

Was ready to criticize him before that goal. Looked like Berba on a bad day. After the goal he showed some nice touches and sharpness though and got involved, and looked like Berba on a good day.

I think we just have a Berbatov type CF back which isn't a bad thing on the whole, but also someone who will frustrate at times too.

Can’t really ask for more than that.

He looks fecking class - his touches in the last few minutes were beautiful.

It was always going to be unfair to judge him harshly given his lack of preseason. Didn't get involved in his first 20 mins or so but what a final few minutes for him!

There was a phase a few years back where he bailed us out a few times with last gasp goals as well. Best of luck to him :D