Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Here is the thing. Every person needs holliday. No question about it.
BUT, sometimes there is a context around that. When you change clubs like he did, you could that year make a shorter holliday and start early on your new job. Not just because of your new employer but because of you too. To adapt quickly and be ready for first game.
Especially when that employer invested 40 mil in you and gave you big wage.
Footballers don't really get any other holidays throughout the year. Also, there is more and more talk and clarity of the reality of mental and physical fatigue that results from the constant pressure and burden of busy seasons, which was this year made worse by the EC. It's known to lead to injuries, which is the very last thing United need more of.

So I'd say better safe than sorry: let him have (and take) the full holiday he's entitled to, so you don't have to second-guess yourself in the season. (Is he fully fit? Mentally fully rested? Is that knock he has because he didn't rest enough? And so on.)

Footballers don't really get any other holidays throughout the year. Also, there is more and more talk and clarity of the reality of mental and physical fatigue that results from the constant pressure and burden of busy seasons, which was this year made worse by the EC. It's known to lead to injuries, which is the very last thing United need more of.

So I'd say better safe than sorry: let him have (and take) the full holiday he's entitled to, so you don't have to second-guess yourself in the season. (Is he fully fit? Mentally fully rested? Is that knock he has because he didn't rest enough? And so on.)

Totally agree.

Watch the goals, the majority are very typical goals for a modern striker. If anything a higher percentage than normal are classic centre forward goals.

Maybe this lad will be great. I don't believe Rashford is some world class striker he has just shown more as a striker so far than Zirkzee by a significant distance so to blindly day Zirkzee is 1000 times better than him there is silly.
Why have you told the fella he's putting up a poor attempt at debating you whilst simultaneously ignoring what they're saying. Rashford didn't play as a centre forward often that season.

When asked about the state of Old Trafford:

“it’s got 99 problems but the pitch ain’t one”
- JZ

Why have you told the fella he's putting up a poor attempt at debating you whilst simultaneously ignoring what they're saying. Rashford didn't play as a centre forward often that season.
Rashford actually did play as striker that season more often than people are making out. During the first couple of months and also the last couple of months of the season he was playing there quite regularly, with the odd game during the middle of the season as well. Of course his hot period of form was when he was mostly out on the left, but he still scored a decent amount of goals when playing up front.

He'd been terrible at striker for quite a few years before that, but he improved his play there in 22/23. Still not someone you'd want playing there a lot, but if he can rediscover that form then he's fine to use as a backup striker. Of course, that's a big 'if'.

BUT, sometimes there is a context around that. When you change clubs like he did, you could that year make a shorter holliday and start early on your new job. Not just because of your new employer but because of you too. To adapt quickly and be ready for first game.
We are in the Europa league, we could end up playing 60+ matches if we do well in the cups. Let him have his break.

I don't have an issue with him being on holiday, the results in the US Tour are meaningless.

If the club really cared they'd of flown him out there, but likely thought it was better for him to take time and settle in at Carrington.

What's important, especially with Hojlund being injured is that Zirkzee is ready for Fulham on the 16th. I imagine he starts against City on Saturday anyway.

The clubs will be legally obliged to give them a certain amount of time off. If they want to cut that short, then that's on them, but you'd imagine those with kids who they barely see or get to do stuff with will probably take that time off gladly, and fair play to them.

It seems he recorded the top result of the whole squad (well to that point as Kobbie, Licha, Shaw & Pellistri hadn’t returned yet) in force production (not sure if that’s the correct term in English) with his thighs. When you look at his physique I’m not that surprised, he’s a unit.

It seems he recorded the top result of the whole squad (well to that point as Kobbie, Licha, Shaw & Pellistri hadn’t returned yet) in force production (not sure if that’s the correct term in English) with his thighs. When you look at his physique I’m not that surprised, he’s a unit.
FORCE PRODUCTION

Still think his pre-season has been handled inexplicably poorly, but perhaps there are unknown reasons. He’s not been injured, and he’s not on holiday, so there seems no sensible explanation as to why his pre-season should be different to that of his teammates.

He was also called up to the Dutch squad very late so was already on a beach for nearly 3 weeks before he went and joined up with the national team.

Still think his pre-season has been handled inexplicably poorly, but perhaps there are unknown reasons. He’s not been injured, and he’s not on holiday, so there seems no sensible explanation as to why his pre-season should be different to that of his teammates.

He was also called up to the Dutch squad very late so was already on a beach for nearly 3 weeks before he went and joined up with the national team.

Personally, I know I have 1 percent of the information and 1 percent of the competence of the people in charge (probably less in aggregate) of the decision. Consequently, I’m quite hesitant to state that it has been handled poorly. Feels a bit B-level pundit aka Agbonlahor/Carragher.

But I agree it would be interesting to know why they decided to handle it this way as it dont make much sense from my perspective either.

Personally, I know I have 1 percent of the information and 1 percent of the competence of the people in charge (probably less in aggregate) of the decision. Consequently, I’m quite hesitant to state that it has been handled poorly. Feels a bit B-level pundit aka Agbonlahor/Carragher.

But I agree it would be interesting to know why they decided to handle it this way as it dont make much sense from my perspective either.

I assume they are factoring in mental fatigue also. Not playing but being in a squad with ambitions towards winning the tournament will have been tiring and time consuming either way. I think we’ve done the right thing for the player even if he’s off the pace for a game or two.

Indeed, and of course I did caveat my post with accepting that there could well be reasons I’m not privy to. That said, on the surface, it makes little sense to me.

I assume they are factoring in mental fatigue also. Not playing but being in a squad with ambitions towards winning the tournament will have been tiring and time consuming either way. I think we’ve done the right thing for the player even if he’s off the pace for a game or two.

I mean, he wasn’t being thrust back into Championship football, it was a training camp with his new teammates. He was also largely a spectator at the Euros, and already had weeks of holiday before it began. If you’re going to give a player an extended break then by all means, send him to Barbados, but he was back at work, while his teammates were working elsewhere.

Seems odd, but I’m sure there were reasons.

I mean, he wasn’t being thrust back into Championship football, it was a training camp with his new teammates. He was also largely a spectator at the Euros, and already had weeks of holiday before it began. If you’re going to give a player an extended break then by all means, send him to Barbados, but he was back at work, while his teammates were working elsewhere.

Seems odd, but I’m sure there were reasons.

I'm just trying to think a reason. Didn't he just get back from long-ish injuries before joining the Dutch Team? He's probably under physio monitoring/treatment now, instead of joining the Tour.

Otherwise, yeh. it doesn't make sense. If i were a new young player, I'd be extremely eager to get to know my teammates and preparing for the new season (that less than two weeks away).

I'm just trying to think a reason. Didn't he just get back from long-ish injuries before joining the Dutch Team? He's probably under physio monitoring/treatment now, instead of joining the Tour.

Otherwise, yeh. it doesn't make sense. If i were a new young player, I'd be extremely eager to get to know my teammates and preparing for the new season (that less than two weeks away).

I’m not aware that he was injured. And of course, that would pretty much be negated anyway by the fact that he’s obviously been back from any injury and has played in the Euros.

That said, as odd as it seems, will all be irrelevant within a few weeks so much ado about nothing really.

I hope so, he certainly needs to hit the ground running!
I think Bruno was the last signing we had to "hit the ground running". Most of our other ones either start off slowly, and end up benched, or get injured straight away.

I think Bruno was the last signing we had to "hit the ground running". Most of our other ones either start off slowly, and end up benched, or get injured straight away.
Lisandro and Casemiro were instant impacts.

You lot should be very satisfied with this signing, this guy is quality and better than Höjlund.

Casemiro wasn't really. He started playing regularly around October, but he was great when he
When he was available he was great. The forum was banging about him being the best CM in the league. I remember when he missed out the away at Arsenal. And dont forget his performance at the final against Newcastle!

Didn't Casemiro hold that record before now? I'm sure I remember reading that he did the heaviest squat in the squad.

I'm not surprised but until there's a video of him crushing a watermelon with his thighs, I'd say there's a lack of evidence.

My only issue with this is that he was actually in the US on his holiday. Could have linked up with the squad straight from there rather than flying back to the UK to go to Carrington
Every player has to start off at Carrington, there are lots of initial physical and testing that takes place plus as a new employee of the club I’m sure there are all lots of other formalities that need to take place. If we had been pre season closer then maybe he could have been to Carrington and then joined up - however, going from the US holiday to Carrington then straight back out to the US would seem illogical especially as many of the other Euro players were back at Carrington.

We will see him against City that’s for sure. From the bench no doubt.