Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
There will be massive pressure on this guy to perform from the very start of the season now. From what I've gathered he's not even an out and out striker, but guess time will tell now. Sigh.

No idea why we have this guy back in Carrington. He should be with the squad in the US getting integrated and getting minutes.

Same people we would criticize the manager for rushing him into the team once t that happens

We kind of do need to rush him now, rather he or we like it or not, with Hojilund being out for 6 weeks. Signing for this club as a young player these days is like taking an IT job at a small company. You're just thrown into the deep end.

Why would he get injured? Because he plays football? Well in that case…
Because of this man

images

Back from what exactly?
People thought we rushed Yoro back from playing 45 minutes the previous weekend so it doesn't take a lot for the people of RedCafe.

I think he should just train and not play so he doesnt get rushed from training.

I think this is a sensible approach. Otherwise we might deter future signings with the threat of starting them in games

No idea why we have this guy back in Carrington. He should be with the squad in the US getting integrated and getting minutes.
Physical training is as important part of preseason as game training, sometimes even more. Two rounds of jet lag in a short time will probably affect how hard he can train to be physically well prepared for the season, somit becomes a trade-off at some point.

Imagine him flying 2 times in a short time and then getting injured.

Think people are overstating the “pressure” that’ll be on him. Everyone knows the type of player he is, and at worst he’ll still be a complimentary piece that will help the team cohesion even if he’s not banging in the goals.

I think he starts with Rash and Amad to begin the year.

Think people are overstating the “pressure” that’ll be on him. Everyone knows the type of player he is, and at worst he’ll still be a complimentary piece that will help the team cohesion even if he’s not banging in the goals.

I think he starts with Rash and Amad to begin the year.

We need him in 9 days.

There will be massive pressure on this guy to perform from the very start of the season now. From what I've gathered he's not even an out and out striker, but guess time will tell now. Sigh.
He is 1000x better than playing Rashford as a striker, which is what we had to do every time Hojlund was injured, and it is how we would have had to start this season if Zirkzee was not signed, so personally I am really grateful we have him. Really grateful

Please elaborate. Is he a tough tackler?
Erik is putting things in his best players' food to get them injured so he has an excuse for poor performances...

This is the impression I get listening to some of the posters around here :D

He is 1000x better than playing Rashford as a striker, which is what we had to do every time Hojlund was injured

You hope.

The last season Rashford played a significant number of games up front he scored 30 goals and got 15 assists.

Goals against

City
Liverpool
Barcelona
Chelsea
Arsenal
In a cup final

In a league a mile better than this lad has ever played in.

If he's 1000 times better that would be wonderful.

You hope.

The last season Rashford played a significant number of games up front he scored 30 goals and got 15 assists.

Goals against

City
Liverpool
Barcelona
Chelsea
Arsenal
In a cup final

In a league a mile better than this lad has ever played in.

If he's 1000 times better that would be wonderful.
I don't know what you are talking about. Rashford had 8 goals and 5 assists in 23/24 across all competitions and he wasn't playing as a striker for all of those, of course. Rashford is horrible when played centrally. I sure hope Zirkzee will do way better than that, not to mention that scoring goals is not the only contribution even for a striker. Especially for a striker like Zirkzee that is more of a creative srtiker.

When Rashford scored 30 goals, most of those goals were from the wing and not what we are talking about

I don't know what you are talking about. Rashford had 8 goals and 5 assists in 23/24 across all competitions and he wasn't playing as a striker for all of those, of course. Rashford is horrible when played centrally. I sure hope Zirkzee will do way better than that, not to mention that scoring goals is not the only contribution even for a striker. Especially for a striker like Zirkzee that is more of a creative srtiker.

When Rashford scored 30 goals, most of those goals were from the wing and not what we are talking about

Well you do know what I'm talking about as you've put up a poor attempt to try and debate it.

You need to watch these goals. The vast majority are typical centre forward goals, most scored within inches of the penalty spot with loads of poaching, towering headers, well timed runs in behind.

I know you won't because it feels more important to be right on the internet. For what it's worth Rashford's heatmaps are also very evenly split between outside and up front for that season.

Assuming this lad is significantly better than that up front is silly.

Well you do know what I'm talking about as you've put up a poor attempt to try and debate it.

You need to watch these goals. The vast majority are typical centre forward goals, most scored within inches of the penalty spot with loads of poaching, towering headers, well timed runs in behind.

I know you won't because it feels more important to be right on the internet. For what it's worth Rashford's heatmaps are also very evenly split between outside and up front for that season.

Assuming this lad is significantly better than that up front is silly.

The majority of those goals were also scored with Ronaldo, Martial and Weghorst on the pitch i.e players who are occupying the traditional centre forward spaces and/or dropping deep to link up play or counter pressing etc. Thus, they allow the likes of Rashford to attack from the channels and/or pick up spaces beyond or in front of the defences.

Rashford's movement and finishing is not to underestimated and whilst I can't comment on Zirkzee's ability as the centre forward for us, it's not disingenuous to question Rashford's ability to play as centre forward. It's a completely different ball game running in behind and ghosting into the box with timed runs as a 'secondary' attacker than as a centre forward.

The majority of those goals were also scored with Ronaldo, Martial and Weghorst on the pitch i.e players who are occupying the traditional centre forward spaces and/or dropping deep to link up play or counter pressing etc. Thus, they allow the likes of Rashford to attack from the channels and/or pick up spaces beyond or in front of the defences.

Rashford's movement and finishing is not to underestimated and whilst I can't comment on Zirkzee's ability as the centre forward for us, it's not disingenuous to question Rashford's ability to play as centre forward. It's a completely different ball game running in behind and ghosting into the box with timed runs as a 'secondary' attacker than as a centre forward.

Watch the goals, the majority are very typical goals for a modern striker. If anything a higher percentage than normal are classic centre forward goals.

Maybe this lad will be great. I don't believe Rashford is some world class striker he has just shown more as a striker so far than Zirkzee by a significant distance so to blindly day Zirkzee is 1000 times better than him there is silly.

Unleash the Zirkmen!

Hope to see him start the community shield game. Don't want Sancho false 9 being tried in that game.

Watch the goals, the majority are very typical goals for a modern striker. If anything a higher percentage than normal are classic centre forward goals.

Maybe this lad will be great. I don't believe Rashford is some world class striker he has just shown more as a striker so far than Zirkzee by a significant distance so to blindly day Zirkzee is 1000 times better than him there is silly.

He wasn't playing as a modern striker in the majority of those games though, there was a striker already on the pitch with him. He was playing as a LW. Bizarre that you're missing @criticalanalysis point there.

He wasn't playing as a modern striker in the majority of those games though, there was a striker already on the pitch with him. He was playing as a LW. Bizarre that you're missing @criticalanalysis point there.

My point is that he was for more games than he wasn't. Wout Weghorst very rarely played up front for us.

He played a similar role to Mbappe who I consider a striker.

Yeah, why is he in Carrington actually, did he even get a minute at the Euros?

Because he was on holiday. It doesn't matter if he played many minutes or not he didn't get a break after playing a full season for Bologna. Pointless for him to fly to the US for one game.

Because he was on holiday. It doesn't matter if he played many minutes or not he didn't get a break after playing a full season for Bologna. Pointless for him to fly to the US for one game.
My only issue with this is that he was actually in the US on his holiday. Could have linked up with the squad straight from there rather than flying back to the UK to go to Carrington

I think he came on twice - including in the last few minutes of the semifinal against England. Either way, he was in training with the squad throughout the tournament.
My only issue with this is that he was actually in the US on his holiday. Could have linked up with the squad straight from there rather than flying back to the UK to go to Carrington
That's a good point actually, but I suppose they have their reasons...?

Here is the thing. Every person needs holliday. No question about it.
BUT, sometimes there is a context around that. When you change clubs like he did, you could that year make a shorter holliday and start early on your new job. Not just because of your new employer but because of you too. To adapt quickly and be ready for first game.
Especially when that employer invested 40 mil in you and gave you big wage.