Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Disappointed by his lack of urgency. Bruno, for all his faults, was pressing the Villa defence late in the match and then looked around to see Zirkzee jogging. It's so frustrating.

Still early days, but he's not finding his feet at all so far. It's like having a second out of form Bruno on the pitch at the minute, except for being slow and lumbering as well.

Disappointed by his lack of urgency. Bruno, for all his faults, was pressing the Villa defence late in the match and then looked around to see Zirkzee jogging. It's so frustrating.

This is why the idea of dropping Bruno and putting Zirkzee into the 10 role is a non starter.

If we sell him next summer we might be able to get 25 mill based on previous rep. We have to rip the plaster off quick, he's not good enough.. Oh and the person who sanctioned the deal should be fired as well

He's so lazy just strolls around looking lost, not sure whats the strangest signing erik has made this or the Mount one

Never thought I'd see a player jog around the pitch more than Rashford.

I thought after Palace we had a good player here. Still early days but yeah, that was a shocker.

I think he needs people close to him for lay offs etc.

Too slow in thought and movement.

And I hate the stupid look he has on his face like he don't know where he is.

that was the 93rd min, Zirkzee had no idea when, and when not to press

He was bad but Ten Hags use of him is awful. He brings him on when his languid slow style is absolutely not needed.

Is Serie A that bad that this guy was considered a top attacker there? He seems to have no redeeming qualities, just some flicks here and there but little substance and can’t even physically impose himself despite his size.

Where's this idea that he was considered a top attacker there? He scored 2 goals in his first season and 11 in his second. What were we expecting?

That was a really awful cameo. If we're holding every player to the same standard of at least doing the absolute basics right in terms of effort, he deserves as much criticism as the likes of rashford.

I'll keep saying it, people were way off with the "we had an amazing transfer window" talk.

This guy looks atrocious. Ugarte isn't good enough on the ball. De Ligt looks no better than Maguire.

It also says something about our new backroom staff that they all signed off on these guys.

@devilish What are Capello and others saying about him now? Can you post some of their comments to make us feel good?

Why you're pointing fingers at me mate? I was only writing what football experts said about zirkzee. Are you blaming all our woes on a substitute? After all we struggled to score goals long before as Zirkzee came in

Capello did say stuff about Zirkzee

"“Vlahovic is not Zirkzee, he is a penalty-box bomber and not an exceptional maneuverer,” explained the former Juventus and Real Madrid coach in his column for La Gazzetta dello Sport via IlBianconero.

“So Thiago tried Weah as a striker, but then he found himself without men in the box when Napoli dropped back and he had to make the difference in the last sixteen meters on the crosses that rained down in the middle.

“The Bianconeri are still too slow in circulating the ball and have little quality in the final third.”

But he also said

“I think Chiesa has the right speed to play in the Premier League. Elsewhere, I saw Zirkzee who is having great difficulty because he thinks he can still play at the Italian pace.”

Saha talked about him as well

“He’s a player that’s very interesting and gets involved in the right places. I’d like to see his game improve with more minutes and confidence,” he said before the Liverpool game"

Zirkzee is a 23 year old who had just joined a struggling top club in a different league. He needs time to adapt. I don't blame the signing, I blame the manager. Tactically he's clueless and had been so long before the likes of Zirkzee and De Ligt were signed.

Where's this idea that he was considered a top attacker there? He scored 2 goals in his first season and 11 in his second. What were we expecting?

This is my concern with Zirkzee. He was clearly bought to be some kinda foil for the wingers to play off. His main use seems to be as someone you can play up to and play off. However, when that's not working or he's not doing it effectively what does he offer? He's not occupying defenders, he's not running the channel, he's not got pace, he's not clinical in the box. It looks like we have paid £30 odd million for Wout Weghorst without the workrate. I hope I am wrong.

Neither him or Rasmus are fit to lead the line for us week in and out. They are both 10-20 million pound players who should be 3rd and 4th choice behind proper strikers.

Who would have the thought that the guy who scored 14 goals in 58 Serie A games isn’t a very good striker?

I for one am shocked.

It's a horror show isn't it. He's so lazy it's insane, I remember the first few clips showed of him at Carrington. He looked like he was making minimal effort in the gym and you can see the same attitude on the field.

Give Bruno a rest (my god he needs it) and play Zirkzee in that advanced midfield role. He’s strong, can hold the ball, and can play players in.

He just isn’t a striker

He had 4 goals in his last 20 games before joining United.

Always looked bleak from the Euros with the fact Weghorst was consistently preferred to him off the bench. Same story with De Ligt being 4th+ choice CB there.

If he really was a top young talent in Serie A he'd be getting game time for the Netherlands, they're not exactly drowning in riches up front.

I bet Ruud is despairing at having such a useless lump starting up front for Manchester United. At least Hojlund has some raw ingredients to work with.

Last edited:
He's shown some good things, but desperately needs to improve his intensity. He'll get eaten up again and again if he doesn't.

Looks like he combines the worst attributes of Berbatov and Fellaini.

Really baffling signing.

Always looked bleaked from the Euros with the fact Weghorst was consistently preferred to him off the bench. Same story with De Ligt being 4th+ choice CB there.

If he really was a top young talent in Serie A he'd be getting game time for the Netherlands, they're not exactly drowning in riches up front.

I bet Ruud is despairing at having such a useless lump starting up front for Manchester United. At least Hojlund has some raw ingredients to work with.

He won Serie A young player of the year.

Doesn't look like a striker and doesn't look like a PL footballer right now. Not entirely sure what the logic was signing him. I can't see what problem his game is supposed to be addressing for us.