Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Link-up play, hold up, dribbling and technique, weight of pass are among his strongest. Not scoring goals does not mean you don't have other qualities, you know. He has played few games for us and we are not exactly playing to his strengths. If you can't see these qualities with your own eyes, then I can't help you.
I've seen these qualities from his first game. At times he seems a level above the players around him. He wants to play one touch, quick passes, one two's etc. Stick him up front for City and he'd be quality.

But this is the thing.. what did some of us expect? You cannot blame him, not at all. He is not a No 9, anybody can see that. He should play off a No 9, ideally.. he drops deep, and will therefore need midfielders running beyond him to get in the box and score, plus two wide players who can stretch (rather than slow play..) and score goals. We don't have those players at United. So we have Zirkzee, Bruno and Mount all playing from the same position. And none of them are playing to the best of their ability.

I would like to see him play off Rasmus, almost a traditional two-up-top.. maybe with a supporting wide player.. would need a v v flexible set up, but why not? Can't get any worst!

This is all, all on ETH. Zirkzee was not a target man at Bologna.. Bologna fans were saying that we should not expect a Centre Forward, rather an intelligent link player...
Same. We should see that now with Bruno out!

I thought he was meant to be a real pressing machine when he was in Italy or maybe I got that wrong?

As I've said, i like some aspects of his game, especially what he showed against Palace, but i really don't think he should be starting at the moment. Give him time to adjust to the league.

Reminds me of a lame latter day Martial. There was a time when United bought best in class. We still tell fans we recruit best in class. Zirkzee is definitely not. He is bargain basement at best. And this is the brave new Ineos world. As Johnny Rotten once said: "Get the feeling you've been cheated?"

I got flack here for saying United were fools for signing him and not targetting Osimhen.
Got told under INEOS that kind of spending was a thing of the past.

Remind me how much you spent this summer, please?

He shows great potential as an exciting player, but he appears lost in our current system, which may explain his declining performances with each game. He’s clearly not yet accustomed to the pace of the league, and would likely thrive if we adopted a more compact playing style.

Free pass for all newbies under this system. Players arrive at utd and turn to shit....

Reminds me of a lame latter day Martial. There was a time when United bought best in class. We still tell fans we recruit best in class. Zirkzee is definitely not. He is bargain basement at best. And this is the brave new Ineos world. As Johnny Rotten once said: "Get the feeling you've been cheated?"
Bloody hell, the guys just arrived. It's some of our fans that are rotten. Absolutely shocking....

I see a lot of (justifiable) criticism about his finishing but for me the worst thing is the fact he just spends the entire game trotting about like he’s shat himself

If he can’t even motivate himself to move properly in his first handful of games for the club then he’s a lost cause.

I’d honestly say I saw greater overall contribution from Weghorst and he was levels below the standard required for the Premier League.
This is what irritates me the most about him. We were told he would be this outstanding presser who would harass the opposition into making mistakes, but he jogs about like an overweight middle aged man playing for a pub team.

we spend 100-110m on 2 strikers. One is too raw, one seems get injured a lot, takes a while to settle in. Granted both are young and id still give them a some more time. But for that much money couldnt we have gone for someone more ' established' ?

Reactions: Fortitude
How can you say regardless of the system? It's all about the system that gets the best out of players....
It's felt like going back all the way to Van Gaal that players have been coming to United and turning to shit. Feels like a huge amount needs fixed.

Bit nervous about him, as I don't know how he'll fit in once Hojlund is back in regularly.

Seems a bit of a flicks and little touches player who'd probably do well in an established good team with senior pros, but in our mess just looks a bit out of place.

we spend 100-110m on 2 strikers. One is too raw, one seems get injured a lot, takes a while to settle in. Granted both are young and id still give them a some more time. But for that much money couldnt we have gone for someone more ' established' ?
That’s basically the story of our post Fergie transfers, we’ve royally effed up the last decade when PSR /FFP wasn’t really a thing and spent £1bn+ and nothing to show for it, and we’re still making the same mistakes. Would rather we gave Spurs 120m for Kane than sign these two.

Looks like another relatively young attacker that would benefit massively from having some experienced attackers around him. It's hard to see how he or Hojlund develop without someone to learn from and take the pressure off.

I think you probably have to go back to the 70s/early 80s to find a time we had a weaker striking set up.

But this is the thing.. what did some of us expect? You cannot blame him, not at all. He is not a No 9, anybody can see that. He should play off a No 9, ideally.. he drops deep, and will therefore need midfielders running beyond him to get in the box and score, plus two wide players who can stretch (rather than slow play..) and score goals. We don't have those players at United. So we have Zirkzee, Bruno and Mount all playing from the same position. And none of them are playing to the best of their ability.

I would like to see him play off Rasmus, almost a traditional two-up-top.. maybe with a supporting wide player.. would need a v v flexible set up, but why not? Can't get any worst!

This is all, all on ETH. Zirkzee was not a target man at Bologna.. Bologna fans were saying that we should not expect a Centre Forward, rather an intelligent link player...
It would make sense but I think we are too much depending on our wingers to try this setup.

I just don’t see the logic in signing him.

We need goals. Yet we signed a link up player who doesn’t seem to naturally score with a predators instinct.

I don’t see how he partners Hojlund
Or how he fits in with Bruno
If neither are the long term plan then I don’t understand Hojlund signing or Bruno’s pay rise…

It just doesn’t make sense

Kane or Palmer for £100m was the right signing. Not some Martial Berbatov hybrid

Out with the old
In with the new old

Meh

There is though a responsibility on the player to add to his game.

Not a target man? Then become one. He's got the size and touch to do it. I don’t think we'd be asking extraordinary of him.

Biggest issue is the over reliance and not having an established striker to rotate with. Same applies to Hojlund. The expectation is too high for players still learning their trade - especially in a new environment and league.

A Cavani or Ibra type signing would’ve done wonders for the progress of our young attackers.

Reactions: Fortitude
Yes. Even Haaland would not outshine anyone
We aren't on about anyone, we are by your own words on about strikers. "No striker would look good currently"

Zirkzee currently should have 5 or 6 goals to his name, which would likely mean our current situation would look different had he scored them. You suggest that no striker would look good currently and then you throw Haaland into the conversation. Haaland would have scored those on the plate in and around the 6 yard box chances Zirkzee has missed - almost guaranteed.

Zirkzee isn't even close to Haaland, so why on earth you used him as an example to justify Zirkzee' standard is beyond mad.

I actually think Zirkzee has been impressive so far this season.

He was sh*t on Sunday, but im not judging him on that, the entire team were terrible. It just seems to spread throughout the playing squad on days like that.

His link up play up until that game has been very good.. My only criticism would be he probably need to be a little more selfish, take on more shots first time. He loves laying the ball off a bit too much,

Doesn't matter what number he wears, the dude is clearly not your typical target man.
He's more Berkamp than Ian Wright or Henry.
His best attribute is ball control and techniques under pressure.
Other attributes like pace, strength, height, shooting power are just average.
I reckon playing him with McTom next to him will benefit him greatly.
Responsibility of leading the line has marginalised his strength and highlight his weakness.
Poor coaching.

We had RVD, Rooney, Cristiano and Saha then signed Tevez. We had all of those and then signed Berba. we have signed 2 young forwards who have never scored many in a strong league when our biggest flaw is league goals. Its perplexing

Fergie brought in experienced taleted strikers who would bring the young players along while also aiding in winning the league now we bring in still Wet behind the ears types who need to learn.. It's nonsense and just does not work .

We had RVD, Rooney, Cristiano and Saha then signed Tevez. We had all of those and then signed Berba. we have signed 2 young forwards who have never scored many in a strong league when our biggest flaw is league goals. Its perplexing
When did Rob Van Dam join United?!

Never going to make it here, wrong signing.

Many on here seem to be saying he's been good, but aside from the Fulham game he's been statistically terrible. If a few good or skillful touches equate to a player doing well at this club now, fair enough. I'll still give him the benefit of the doubt though, as we all know who's managing the team.

Last edited:
Yes. Even Haaland would not outshine anyone
True!

Manchester United:
xG after 6 games: 10,81
goals scored: 5

Haaland:
xG after 6 games: 5,76
goals scored: 10

Having attackers who convert chances doesn't matter, because as we all know from a differnt thread: finishing isn't a thing.

Joshua desperately needs a goal and he needs to get into good positions more often.

he needs to get into good positions more often.

I actually think he have had quite a few good chances.

Had a look at the stats. Only five games, but his npxg of 0,58 (PL+EL) is good.

If he ended up with an npxg of 0,58 that would have been the highest in Man Utd since they started with this stat, I think? Ronaldo probably close. Cavani just below. Martial, Lukaku, Rashford etc never close.

Point is, I’m quite confident that Zirkzee will score a lot of goals IF he keeps getting into good positions as often as he has.

True!

Manchester United:
xG after 6 games: 10,81
goals scored: 5

Haaland:
xG after 6 games: 5,76
goals scored: 10

Having attackers who convert chances doesn't matter, because as we all know from a differnt thread: finishing isn't a thing.

Joshua desperately needs a goal and he needs to get into good positions more often.

He already has a goal and he’s getting into good positions in basically every game he plays. We’re mainly suffering in attack because our primary creative hub (Bruno) has been woefully out of sorts. As well as the long running issue of wide players who don’t pose a consistent goal threat, or regularly assist. All things considered, Zirkzee’s not had a bad start to his United career. But he also isn’t fixing issues that were present before we signed him.