Joshua Zirkzee Netherlands flag

2024-25 Performances

View full 2024-25 profile

5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
This signing would have been decent if we had goal scorers in the team. There’s been comparisons with Firminho, but Firminho had two players scoring 20 plus alongside him.

He looks and moves like he is overweight. Lacks bite. I’m all for the silky touches etc but want to see some aggression from a centre forward

Why does he always seem to be stretching to get a shot on target which inevitably trickles harmlessly into the goalkeeper's hands? I understand our team can't pass for shit but it seemed like the chance in the first half he didn't need to stretch for it and could have generated more power with a more stable body position.

He’s a donkey. He looks every bit like one of those fairly successful Serie A strikers that move to the PL and flop.

He’s so slow and leggy in his movement outside the box. At some points he reminded me of Lukaku in how slow and clumsy he looked.

When the ball does come directly to his feet or his chest he’s pretty good with his use of the ball but this is the PL, you don’t wait for the ball hoping it finds you. You have to be dynamic and agile in receiving and hunting the ball and Zirkzee is the total opposite of that.

Shouldn't be anywhere near the starting 11. Only plays well against lessor opponents, beyond that goes missing.

Should of had 6 goals by now, all handed to him on a plate. Only managed 1.

The feck we signed him for I have no idea.

I've seen defenders with better in-box anticipation and movement. He's often stretching as he shoots because he's not on his toes.

I can sort of see the usage for him, but I think we've gone too early with this signing. We're expecting him to bring other players into play around him, and in order to do that we need to be higher up the pitch, retaining more of the ball, and having that strong spine with a tight midfield and defensive line that enables the full backs and wingers to move up the pitch and closer to the box. We haven't got any of that. We've got Bruno playing virtually next to him, which then leaves a massive gap between the attack and midfield, and it's then too easy to get a run in on our back four, which is what happened today. The structure of the team is not solid enough to make good use of a player like this yet.

As a result, he receives the ball with nobody around him except Bruno, who just gives it away. The centre backs or midfield for the opposition can then start countering quickly. Effectively, using Bruno next to him means our midfield two of Mainoo and Ugarte gets overrun. In short, I can't see a Zirkzee and Bruno partnership really working, at least not in its current state.

Not liking what I see at all, the odd good touch or flick doesn't make up for some pretty bang average all round play. He's not a striker and I can see he's not mobile enough to play any other position.

We need a better outlet than him.

He’s shite. 1 in 8. Doesn’t look like scoring half the time. Frequently under hits passes too.

Should not be starting, especially in this system. I like him, he has some good qualities but needs to be eased into the league more slowly.

I’m rarely wrong on players and I’ll say this guy is fecking shite. No impact in the box what so ever, absolutely no goal threat he must be so easy to play against

We’ve spent well over 100M+ on 2 strikers that couldn’t finish a fecking Twix let’s be honest Hojlund is wank as well.

Really just struggling to see what he does. Yeah the touches are nice, but they’re bookended by largely lethargic hold up play.

Looks like a slower Martial, without the finishing.

No pace, poor in the air (for such a big lump), poor presses & a general lethargy to his play.

Doesn’t help when he obviously, profile wise, needs to have 2 20+ Goal scorers either side of him.

The irony is that he and Hojlund mixed into one player would be amazing but individually I fear neither are good enough for what we aspire to be again

Zero cutting edge. The correct striker signing in the summer was on the other team.

Martial was multiple levels better than this guy.

Did he start today ? Honestly don't see what he brings to this squad.No disrespect intended he just looks non existent out there.

Zero cutting edge. The correct striker signing in the summer was on the other team.

Martial was multiple levels better than this guy.
They’ve gone for the martial profile, but he’s a tribute act (of peak Martial, not the crock version)

Huge mistake ignoring Ivan Toneys desire to come to the club and buying a player who is completely unproven.

I feel like EtH plays Bruno as a second CF so that he can cover Zirkzee's lack of pressing.

But doing that (like most thing United try) just creates more problems elsewhere on the pitch.

But after today not a single player performed well so any individual analysis is utterly null and void.

I said in the Urgate thread that it feels unfair to judge him as a new signing that's playing under ETH, so I know the same thing should apply hear... But honestly, I can't help but think that he's really shit

Had he finished better he'd be on about 5 goals this season

not writing him off yet - today wasn't a day for him

why we didn't play Hojlund against a team with such a high line I'll never know

I might be harsh here but the shot in the first half where he falls over after or as he's shooting just sums him up. He isn't a killer in front of goal and shouldn't be asked to.

He just hasn't got that ability. Looks like he needs runners off him rather than being the focal point

He’s a donkey. He looks every bit like one of those fairly successful Serie A strikers that move to the PL and flop.

He’s so slow and leggy in his movement outside the box. At some points he reminded me of Lukaku in how slow and clumsy he looked.

When the ball does come directly to his feet or his chest he’s pretty good with his use of the ball but this is the PL, you don’t wait for the ball hoping it finds you. You have to be dynamic and agile in receiving and hunting the ball and Zirkzee is the total opposite of that.

Successful in Serie A seems a bit much too. He was as he is now, not a goal scorer but a good link up player. In fact he and Hojlund have 22 goals in 85 games combined in Serie A.

Glazers not in charge and we’re still signing Championship level players….God awful player. So off the pace of the game it’s untrue.

We have one injury to a forward in Hojilund and Joshua Zirzkee is the best option this club can find to start as a United centre forward. Is this really how far we’ve sunk as a club.

Nothing against the lad as he seems to have a good attitude and would probably be fine as a squad player helping with rotation of first XI players but my god, he is starting games regularly and is way out his depth.

I was flabbergasted by him today. He looked dreadful. I was at the game and was wondering if his performance was particularly bad today or if he just comes across differently on TV. I think he was particularly bad.

He's not a player you'd expect to see leading the line for a top club, or even at a top club. But I guess that right there is the problem, we're pretty fecking far away from the top

I don’t understand the harsh criticism on here. Sure he didn’t have a good game, but anyone who watched him in Serie A would’ve known that he thrives in a fluent attack. If we cannot keep the ball and pass it around and into the half spaces, then he’ll be wasted here.

Just so all of you know, even top strikers will struggle with how we play. Hojlund (not that he’s a top striker) came in and I don’t remember him even getting a touch of the football.

I’m 100% sure Zirkzee will be much better under a manager who sets his team up to play football, to not be afraid to bring forwards into play and dominate the half spaces.

Reactions: Fortitude
I don’t understand the harsh criticism on here. Sure he didn’t have a good game, but anyone who watched him in Serie A would’ve known that he thrives in a fluent attack. If we cannot keep the ball and pass it around and into the half spaces, then he’ll be wasted here.

Just so all of you know, even top strikers will struggle with how we play. Hojlund (not that he’s a top striker) came in and I don’t remember him even getting a touch of the football.

I’m 100% sure Zirkzee will be much better under a manager who sets his team up to play football, to not be afraid to bring forwards into play and dominate the half spaces.
He can't score...

Play all the football he likes but in the box he is a clueless donkey

Seems a top bloke but I'm not overly impressed so far. Again, benefit of the doubt as he's playing under a clueless manager in a erm, well I don't know, but some kind of awful system.

Why does he always seem to be stretching to get a shot on target which inevitably trickles harmlessly into the goalkeeper's hands? I understand our team can't pass for shit but it seemed like the chance in the first half he didn't need to stretch for it and could have generated more power with a more stable body position.

he just has a languid style. He’s a baller but languid players drive me daft when the opposition is all over us

We have one injury to a forward in Hojilund and Joshua Zirzkee is the best option this club can find to start as a United centre forward. Is this really how far we’ve sunk as a club.

Nothing against the lad as he seems to have a good attitude and would probably be fine as a squad player helping with rotation of first XI players but my god, he is starting games regularly and is way out his depth.
Hojlund was injured when he signed and can't be relied upon. Even when fit he isn't that good. Solanke is clearly a better player

My concerns before the transfer coming to fruition. He has no place on the pitch together with Fernandes and Mount, and he needs prolific wingers and midfielders to work with. United have none of that. And he is far from a finished article. Doesn't address the scoring issue at all. Maybe he could work in some 4-4-2 with Hojlund up top... but I just don't see it. Although I will cut him some slack, like most of the rest of the squad, I'm sure the god awful manager isn't helping.

He can't score...

Play all the football he likes but in the box he is a clueless donkey
He isn’t.

But it’ll be hard to argue that point at this time. I’ll wait till he’s playing under a manager who sets up the team to play and exploit the half spaces.