Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

Oscie complains that Corbynistas don't let him say anything but it's actually him who wants everyone he disagrees with to shut up so that he can carry on with his repetitive coke head rants undisturbed.

• Jeremy Corbyn voted for Britain to leave the European Economic Community (EEC) in the 1975 European referendum.
  • Jeremy Corbyn opposed the creation of the European Union (EU) under the Maastricht Treaty – speaking and voting against it in Parliament in 1993. During the 2016 referendum campaign, Left Leave highlighted repeated speeches he made in Parliament opposing Europe during 1993.
  • Jeremy Corbyn voted against the Lisbon Treaty on more than one occasion in Parliament in 2008.
  • In 2010, Jeremy Corbyn voted against the creation of the European Union’s diplomatic service.
  • Jeremy Corbyn voted for a referendum on Britain’s membership of the EU in 2011 (breaking the Labour whip to do so).
  • In 2011 Jeremy Corbyn also opposed the creation of the EU’s European Stability Mechanism, which helps members of the Euro in financial difficulties. (This vote is a good example of how Corbyn votes with hardcore Euro-sceptics. Only 26 other MPs joined him in voting against, and in their number are the likes of right-wing Euro-sceptics such as Peter Bone, Douglas Carswell, Bill Cash, Ian Paisley Junior and John Redwood.)
  • Jeremy Corbyn opposed Britain’s participation in the EU’s Banking Authority in 2012.
  • In 2016 his long-time left-wing ally Tariq Ali said that he was sure that if Corbyn was not Labour leader he would be campaigning for Britain to leave the EU, whilst his brother Piers Corbyn also said that Jeremy Corbyn was privately opposed to Britain’s membership of the European Union.
  • Jeremy Corbyn went on holiday during the 2016 referendum campaign and his office staff consistently undermined the Remain campaign. He refused to attend a key Remain campaign launch and also attacked government ministers for publicising the Remain case, saying they should also have promoted arguments in favour of Leave vote. The Director of the Remain campaign, himself a Labour member and candidate, said, “Rather than making a clear and passionate Labour case for EU membership, Corbyn took a week’s holiday in the middle of the campaign and removed pro-EU lines from his speeches”. During the referendum campaign, Leave.EU highlighted Corbyn’s attacks on Europe made in 1996.
  • The day after the European referendum in 2016, Jeremy Corbyn called for the immediate invocation of Article 50 – the two-year notice to leave the EU – much quicker than even Theresa May wanted.
  • In December 2016, Jeremy Corbyn voted in Parliament in favour of the UK leaving the EU and for the process to start no later than 31 March 2017.
  • Jeremy Corbyn three times voted in February 2017 in favour of the Prime Minister starting the process of leaving the European Union.
  • During the 2017 general election, the independent Channel 4 Factcheck service found very little difference between Jeremy Corbyn and Theresa May over Europe.
  • In the summer of 2017, Jeremy Corbyn opposed Britain remaining in the Single Market. He even sacked from his team Labour MPs who voted in favour of membership of the Single Market.
...passionate remainer.

Oh Jeremy (Corbyn).

Oscie complains that Corbynistas don't let him say anything but it's actually him who wants everyone he disagrees with to shut up so that he can carry on with his repetitive coke head rants undisturbed.

*Oscie voice* You're wrong Shamwow, typical Corbyn apologist!

He's basically the Glaston of the Current Events forum. Ouch.

It does seem like a cult, doesn't it?

United 'supporters' would never shy away from constantly criticising United without pause for breath, but Corbyn's gang would never, ever, hear a single word said against him, no matter what.
You’re repeating yourself mate. Said that a dozen times now.

Those for Corbyn are no more a cult than those against. Unless you’ve posted loads of stuff you like about him that I’ve missed?

As others have said, more or less, it’s less about defending Corbyn and more about defending the right for the Left to have a voice in politics. In my lifetime they’ve been mostly silenced so I’d be defending anyone who was intent on giving the Left a platform to be heard.

From the outside looking in there's a leader who is held to be above any form of even the mildest criticism or satire by people who attend mass rallies in his honour.

Simply saying "it's not a cult" doesn't make that look less cultish and I don't think it's being entirely unreasonable. Especially like here when you get the pile-in from those who get that Corbyn bat-signal in the sky where within 10 minutes of someone being critical of him the 4 muskybeards pile in.

There's loads of stuff about politicians I have supported over the years that I dislike. To my mind it's strange to see a politician put so obviously above any kind of skepticism or even critical analysis by people who also insist that's a perfectly normal thing to do and attack anyone who disagrees. At least on here his supporters treat him the way an 8 year old would defend his favourite super hero in the playground and it isn't wrong of people to point out that it's a bit weird.

Last edited:
My hope is that Labour policy will shift towards a second referendum on the deal. There will be an enormous backlash from the right either way, especially so if that referendum is conducted in a way clearly designed to stop Brexit, so I'd favour a three-way choice of

1. Yes to Deal
2. No to Deal, Yes to Brexit (renegotiate)
3. No to Deal, No to Brexit

In that situation I'd expect the Regrexit crowd to give Option 3 a slim majority of the vote and the remaining Leavers to be split between options 1 and 2 and (hopefully) dissolve into in-fighting on that basis.

Labour's Brexit line has been frustrating as a Remainer, but has generally toed a line of not alienating Labour's pro-Europe young base or causing its Eurosceptic older voters to rule the party out altogether. Corbyn's big problem, and the reason he doesnt want the next election to be a one issue election on Brexit, is that the Labour vote will be split along Brexit lines to a greater extent than the Tories' vote will. Public opinion is changing though and Labour needs to change with it, as Brexit starts to look worse and worse more people who voted to remain on a sober, pragmatic basis are becoming ideological 'Remainers' for whom positions on a second referendum will be the major electoral cleavage in the event of a snap election. As this group grows current Labour policy is looking less tenable day by day.

Last edited:
From the outside looking in there's a leader who is held to be above any form of even the mildest criticism or satire by people who attend mass rallies in his honour.

Simply saying "it's not a cult" doesn't make that look less cultish and I don't think it's being entirely unreasonable. Especially like here when you get the pile-in from those who get that Corbyn bat-signal in the sky where within 10 minutes of someone being critical of him the 4 muskybeards pile in.

There's loads of stuff about politicians I have supported over the years that I dislike. To my mind it's strange to see a politician put so obviously above any kind of skepticism or even critical analysis by people who also insist that's a perfectly normal thing to do and attack anyone who disagrees. At least on here his supporters treat him the way an 8 year old would defend his favourite super hero in the playground and it isn't wrong of people to point out that it's a bit weird.
Except we’re talking about a leader of a political party who’s received scrutiny and vitriolic scathing of an unprecedented scale by both the media and factions within his own party. So your whole notion of him being exempt from criticism doesn’t add up.

You liberally make use of the term ‘cult’ to describe his supporters, but naturally if his supporters rightly believe that a politician they support receives excessively amounts condemnation from the media and not given balanced scrutiny then you’d understand why they’d be on the defensive.

My hope is that Labour policy will shift towards a second referendum on the deal. There will be an enormous backlash from the right either way, especially so if that referendum is conducted in a way clearly designed to stop Brexit, so I'd favour a three-way choice of

1. Yes to Deal

In that situation I'd expect the Regrexit crowd to give Option 3 a slim majority of the vote and the remaining Leavers to be split between options 1 and 2 and (hopefully) dissolve into in-fighting on that basis.

Labour's Brexit line has been frustrating as a Remainer, but has generally toed a line of not alienating Labour's pro-Europe young base or causing its Eurosceptic older voters to rule the party out altogether. Corbyn's big problem, and the reason he doesnt want the next election to be a one issue election on Brexit, is that the Labour vote will be split along Brexit lines to a greater extent than the Tories' vote will. Public opinion is changing though and Labour needs to change with it, as Brexit starts to look worse and worse more people who voted to remain on a sober, pragmatic basis are becoming ideological 'Remainers' for whom positions on a second referendum will be the major electoral cleavage in the event of a snap election. As this group grows current Labour policy is looking less tenable day by day.
Even if Corbyn is a private brexiteer, I don’t see him alienating his largely remain-inclined base. In the case of another referendum I fully expect him to endorse the option that sees the UK remain in the EU just as he officially did with the last referendum.

Even if Corbyn is a private brexiteer, I don’t see him alienating his largely remain-inclined base. In the case of another referendum I fully expect him to endorse the option that sees the UK remain in the EU just as he officially did with the last referendum.

Yeah I expect the same. The EU has major flaws but it's far preferable to the alternative and those flaw are best solved from within. In the wake of Brexit/a near-miss Brexit the EU has significant motivation for introspection and reform to head off the rise of far-right anti-EU groups in many of its constituent nations.

Except we’re talking about a leader of a political party who’s received scrutiny and vitriolic scathing of an unprecedented scale by both the media and factions within his own party. So your whole notion of him being exempt from criticism doesn’t add up.

You liberally make use of the term ‘cult’ to describe his supporters, but naturally if his supporters rightly believe that a politician they support receives excessively amounts condemnation from the media and not given balanced scrutiny then you’d understand why they’d be on the defensive.

Except, as it's been made quite clear by me and Oscie, it's people on this Forum we are talking about, not in general.

You guys won't hear/read a word said against him, hence the appearance of a cult.

The Daily Mail attacked Ed Miliband's dead father and for how he eats a sandwich. Gordon Brown was accused of being unfit to lead because of rumours he took antidepressants and a medical condition with his eyes over which he has no control. David Cameron was accused of fecking a pig in a book printed by one of the most high profile Fleet Street journalists. Jeremy Corbyn being a the centre of a storm for things she has said, things he's done or people he's chosen to associated with isn't "vitriolic scathing of an unprecedented scale", it's what happens to politicians who have previously said things that are questionable and/or held problematic associations. Nor does people within his own party noticing the shit job he's doing and becoming disgruntled by that isn't "unprecedented" either. At the dispatch box each week stands opposite a Prime Minister about whom the exact same fecking thing is happening within her own party.

So yeah if we ignore the far worse personal vitriol previous leaders have received and we ignore the fact that he's the only person who has ever had to deal with opposition within his own party, except for the leader of the other main party right now and any leader of his party whilst he's been on the back benches agitating and supporting moves to oust them - HE'S THE MOST HARD DONE BY LEADER EVER!!

This is another thing that makes it seem a bit cultish.

Last edited:
Except, as it's been made quite clear by me and Oscie, it's people on this Forum we are talking about, not in general.

You guys won't hear/read a word said against him, hence the appearance of a cult.

Could you share a single post you've made on this thread that would have been worth engaging with?

The Daily Mail attacked Ed Miliband's dead father and for how he eats a sandwich. Gordon Brown was accused of being unfit to lead because of rumours he took antidepressants and a medical condition with his eyes over which he has no control. David Cameron was accused of fecking a pig in a book printed by one of the most high profile Fleet Street journalists. Jeremy Corbyn being a the centre of a storm for things she has said, things he's done or people he's chosen to associated with isn't "vitriolic scathing of an unprecedented scale", it's what happens to politicians who have previously said things that are questionable and/or held problematic associations. Nor does people within his own party noticing the shit job he's doing and becoming disgruntled by that isn't "unprecedented" either. At the dispatch box each week stands opposite a Prime Minister about whom the exact same fecking thing is happening within her own party.

So yeah if we ignore the far worse personal vitriol previous leaders have received and we ignore the fact that he's the only person who has ever had to deal with opposition within his own party, except for the leader of the other main party right now and any leader of his party whilst he's been on the back benches agitating and supporting moves to oust them - HE'S THE MOST HARD DONE BY LEADER EVER!!

It does seem kind of unprecedented to have an army of follows on Twitter who jump all over any criticism of him and call it unprecedented. With a load of hashtags declaring their undying support for poor, persecuted Jeremy.

If we’re looking for stuff that’s actually unprecedented, that’s probably worth a mention

Another new idea is the proposed changes in quantitive easing, going from money given to commercial banks as happens now, to a national investment bank that doesn't give billions of pounds to wankers in the city of london.

Or just adopt the Venezuelan model...

People be like "twitter is full of idiots and knobs"

People also be like "I have discerned from looking at twitter that group x is full of idiots and knobs"

Or just adopt the Venezuelan model...

Another stunning contribution from a non-Corbynista. Why aren't the Corbyn supporters engaging with all these amazing arguments built of pure logic and reason? Why are they defending their dear leader, the stupid cult twats? WHAT IS GOING ON?

People be like "twitter is full of idiots and knobs"

People also be like "I have discerned from looking at twitter that group x is full of idiots and knobs"

That is a paradox, to be fair. Although isn’t Corbyn supposed to be sweeping to power as part of a movement that utilised Twitter in a way that no other political leader has managed before? So Twitter Corybnites surely aren’t a million miles removed from Corbynites in general?

I mean there has been actual academic work done which concludes that the attacks on Corbyn have been greater and more sustained than on previous Labour leaders. A big problem he's had is that whereas typically Labour titles have backed previous leaders fully, the likes of The Guardian have been a lot more tentative in their support of him. Attacks on a major political leader tend to be normal, yes, but no one's really denying that.

The Cameron pig allegation doesn't really belong there either. It was made in a book by someone he knows and there's no verification as to whether it was true or not. Most news publications weren't saying it happened; they were reporting on the fact it was alleged.

That is a paradox, to be fair. Although isn’t Corbyn supposed to be sweeping to power as part of a movement that utilised Twitter in a way that no other political leader has managed before? So Twitter Corybnites surely aren’t a million miles removed from Corbynites in general?

Is this kind of bullshit what we're meant to be engaging with? Pull the other one, seriously. fecking hell.

I do think there are a lot of rabid Corbyn fans online but again I'm not sure if this is really exclusive to him, or if there's fully substantiated evidence as to whether his lot are worse than those who back other parties. As someone who votes SNP and follows a lot of politically-minded Scots I'll happily admit that they have plenty of toxic supporters online who're incapable of taking a joke, incapable of dealing with disagreement etc. This is also the case for those who back Brexit (a large component of whom will be Tories) and even centrist Labour types. Corbyn supporters are probably more noticeable because they're the most active bunch right now, but are they any worse than people backing any other political party or leader? I say that from a genuine point of interest - if there's academic evidence out there to show they are worse then I'd be interested to see it.

I do think there are a lot of rabid Corbyn fans online but again I'm not sure if this is really exclusive to him, or if there's fully substantiated evidence as to whether his lot are worse than those who back other parties.

I think this is just the age we're living through, political discourse across the spectrum is currently all about extreme rhetoric and doubling down, doesn't seem to matter a whole lot which side you're batting for.

"This is Brexit Britain. A country known for its moderation has suddenly discovered extremism. Once mainstream Conservative politicians such as Michael Gove and Boris Johnson consort with Steve Bannon over “hard” Brexit.

Something very important has changed in Britain. Political opponents in Britain are now “traitors.” Judges making unwanted rulings are “enemies of the people."..."

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/566435/

I mean there has been actual academic work done which concludes that the attacks on Corbyn have been greater and more sustained than on previous Labour leaders. A big problem he's had is that whereas typically Labour titles have backed previous leaders fully, the likes of The Guardian have been a lot more tentative in their support of him. Attacks on a major political leader tend to be normal, yes, but no one's really denying that.

The Cameron pig allegation doesn't really belong there either. It was made in a book by someone he knows and there's no verification as to whether it was true or not. Most news publications weren't saying it happened; they were reporting on the fact it was alleged.

I don't think that's true. This is the research that Corbynites seem to cite the most when it comes to Jezza getting a tough time from the press. It doesn't include any comparison with previous Labour leaders. The closest it comes to this is in the following sentence:

As the quote of Miliband Sr. at the outset of this report already pointed out, this is not an entirely new phenomenon in the UK and has happened before in relation to other leftwing leaders from Neil Kinnock to Ed Miliband (see Curran, et al., 2005; Gabor, 2014), but in the case of Corbyn the degree of antagonism and hatred from part of the media has arguably reached new heights.

Not the use of the word "arguably". No attempt to provide any actual evidence to back this up.

They also don't compare him with any other politicians from the present day. The whole thing is an exercise in how harshly Corbyn is being treated, in isolation. So if the press is getting more and more critical of politicians in general - which seems likely, given how the general public are more and more jaded by them - then that's another pinch of salt with which to sprinkle their findings.

Here's the Miliband quote they allude to, from 1969:

the press may well claim to be independent and to fulfill an important watchdog function.
What the claim overlooks, however, is the very large fact that it is the Left at which the
watchdogs generally bark with most ferocity, and what they are above all protecting is the
status quo (1969: page 199).

1. Yes to Deal

I

Hypothetically lets say it goes

1...30%
2...25%
3...45%

would we go with No to deal and No to brexit

because we have a majority for Yes to brexit?

I honestly think anything beyond a really broad yes / no is doomed to fail - and much as I personally think a second vote should be done I think the legalities are no matter what we vote we are out on 25th March whatever no matter if we vote for renegotiation or not .... I also dont think its 100% clear if we could just cancel the process (or does it require others to agree to this)

I don't think we will get another vote ... and even if we do unless its a big majority either way I think the domestic and internal political arguments just intensify

Could you share a single post you've made on this thread that would have been worth engaging with?

No, I can't stand the cnut :D

However, Oscie, who is a Labour supporter and has posted at length gets no more respect than someone like me, who just can't stand the cnut.

My boss, who is a fully paid up member of the Labour Party, didn't vote for them in the last election.

However, Oscie, who is a Labour supporter and has posted at length gets no more respect than someone like me, who just can't stand the cnut.

My boss, who is a fully paid up member of the Labour Party, didn't vote for them in the last election.
:lol:

Oscie voted Lib Dem last election(Even Blair didn't go that far). And yeah why wouldn't your boss vote for a socialist leader who wants to improve the workers rights and strength trade unions must be because of Corbyn dress sense.

Last edited:

I too support the Labour Party by...not voting for the Labour Party.

I'm also King of England.

Oscie doesn't give any more respect than you either. I don't get why you think one side is worse than the other here when he posts the same angry shit about cultists almost every day. It's not exactly the best of discourse is it.

It does seem kind of unprecedented to have an army of follows on Twitter who jump all over any criticism of him and call it unprecedented. With a load of hashtags declaring their undying support for poor, persecuted Jeremy.

If we’re looking for stuff that’s actually unprecedented, that’s probably worth a mention
Corbyn isn’t the only politician with supporters on Twitter. There are tons of Trump supporters who defend him on it. Corbyn’s critics have won their Twitter supporters too.

It’s not exclusive to Corbyn and it’s just normal now, isn’t it?

He’s received plenty of criticism here, even from posters who hold progressive views. If you don’t contribute anything to the discussion beyond rambling about those who back him and not offering alternatives of your own, then you’re wasting your time and energy.