Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

His relationships with these people, whether its Hamas or the IRA, are because he supports their cause. It's false to pretend that it was all a push to secure peace. You don't help secure peace by exclusively showing support to one side.
This is a strange conclusion to make. If he genuinely supported the IRA cause then he wouldn’t have advocated peace talks between the belligerent factions, instead he would have doubled down on the violent struggle, mirroring the sentiment of the IRA’s supporters. Likewise for Hamas.

Terrorist sympathisers tend not to advocate peaceful talks or dialogue.

What do you mean with this bit? What “strides in peace” have been made thanks to Corbyn? Genuinely curious because I don’t actually know a lot about him.
The troubles in Northern Ireland we’re ultimately alleviated by diplomacy and peace negotiations between the adversarial factions. Something Corbyn had advocated prior to their resolution despite being seen as unpopular at the time.

Say what you want about Corbyn but he’s been on the right side of history more often than not. His insistence on diplomacy and talks with factions initially deemed unthinkable has led to strides in peace as we saw in Northern Ireland. He’s also never advocated violence as a means to achieving peace. So to simply accuse him of having a penchant for terrorism is pretty obtuse to put it generously.

I find this a disingenuous argument when it comes to interventions because we can never know what the consequences of non-intervention would have been.

The troubles in Northern Ireland we’re ultimately alleviated by diplomacy and peace negotiations between the adversarial factions. Something Corbyn had advocated prior to their resolution despite being seen as unpopular at the time.

Not really how I remember the Northern Ireland peace process tbh. I mean, I they were definitely achieved through diplomacy but I don’t remember that being an unpopular solution. Just a difficult one to implement. Was Corbyn directly involved in getting anyone round the table? I’ve not heard much about his role in any of what happened but that might just be my Ireland-centric version of events.

Israeli Ambassador deliberately planning to paint JC as anti semitic.

Israel is trying to manipulate British politics just like Russia did in America.

We currently have a government that is Saudi Arabia’s biggest arms dealer. The same weapons are being used to carry out atrocities on the people of Yemen, and the Saudi regime itself is linked to the most heinous Terrorist groups on the planet, as well being the bankrollers for schools in this country that have propagated the most hateful form of Islam, serving as the ideological backbone that’s radicalised the same terrorists responsible for carrying out attacks on British soil. Very little is being made of this and the only real vocal condemnation has come from - wait for it - Jeremy Corbyn.

Say what you want about Corbyn but he’s been on the right side of history more often than not. His insistence on diplomacy and talks with factions initially deemed unthinkable has led to strides in peace as we saw in Northern Ireland. He’s also never advocated violence as a means to achieving peace. So to simply accuse him of having a penchant for terrorism is pretty obtuse to put it generously.
Spot on. Violence whether terrorist or state initiated will never lead to peace. We've been fighting Muslims since the Crusades - it doesn't work. Jeremy Corbyn is an idealist and, imo, a genuinely decent human being who would at least give dialogue a chance - current and past Governments don't want dialogue because it would mean concessions.

Been googling Jezza and Norn Iron and came up with this. I’m not sure he can be talked up as an advocate of dialogue when he only engages with people on one side of a particular issue. For me it’s the people who take the much more difficult step of actively engaging with people who have an opposing ideology to their own that deserve the credit for breakthroughs like the Good Friday Agreement.

Been googling Jezza and Norn Iron and came up with this. I’m not sure he can be talked up as an advocate of dialogue when he only engages with people on one side of a particular issue. For me it’s the people who take the much more difficult step of actively engaging with people who have an opposing ideology to their own that deserve the credit for breakthroughs like the Good Friday Agreement.

I believe the same could be said with the Israeli issue:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-the-uk/jeremy-corbyns-anti-semitism-crisis

The troubles in Northern Ireland we’re ultimately alleviated by diplomacy and peace negotiations between the adversarial factions.

That didn’t happen because Corbyn persuaded the rival factions to come to the table.

We currently have a government that is Saudi Arabia’s biggest arms dealer. The same weapons are being used to carry out atrocities on the people of Yemen, and the Saudi regime itself is linked to the most heinous Terrorist groups on the planet, as well being the bankrollers for schools in this country that have propagated the most hateful form of Islam, serving as the ideological backbone that’s radicalised the same terrorists responsible for carrying out attacks on British soil. Very little is being made of this and the only real vocal condemnation has come from - wait for it - Jeremy Corbyn.

Whataboutery.

There is no denying that arms sales in whatever capacity are contentious.

Corbyn was not on the right side of history. He was not instrumental in any peaceful progress with the troubles. If his genuine concern is for peace then he wouldn't have taken any side. As far as I can see he positively came down on the side of the IRA.

Every Corbynites favourite Labour leader, Tony Blair, played a far more instrumental role, surely?

Obviously. There’s a lot more could be said about the conditions which ultimately brought the IRA to the table, but as they’ve nothing to do with Corbyn they’re best left for the relevant thread.

Corbyn’s brand of ‘dialogue’ is to talk to and promote the cause of the side he deems less powerful, exclusively so. I’ve yet to come across an example of him meeting/attending rallies/engaging with any Loyalists or Israelis he disagrees with.

Obviously. There’s a lot more could be said about the conditions which ultimately brought the IRA to the table, but as they’ve nothing to do with Corbyn they’re best left for the relevant thread.

Corbyn’s brand of ‘dialogue’ is to talk to and promote the cause of the side he deems less powerful, exclusively so. I’ve yet to come across an example of him meeting/attending rallies/engaging with any Loyalists or Israelis he disagrees with.

But that's a necessity of left wing politics. It's the ultimate taboo to talk about it, especially on a forum like this, but the need for oppressed people is a key justification for an otherwise unpalatable basis for an ideology.

He wrote afterwards about the wreath laid for “others killed by Mossad agents in Paris in 1991“, so the only way he wouldn’t have known is by being completely uninterested in who these ‘others’ were, and by being completely ignorant of the episode in question - not something I find credible for someone with his level of involvement in activism in this conflict.

It’s definitely possible he didn’t know initially that the Black September guys were buried there, and subsequently he felt pressured into this situation, not wanting to offend his hosts. It would also explain why he felt the need to join in ‘prayer’ with them, despite being an atheist apparently. However, this is not the explanation he’s chosen to provide.

I find it more likely that Corbyn doesn’t really consider these people ‘terrorists’ but rather part of a legitimate struggle whose more violent tendencies ought to be seen as a consequence of the brutality of Israel and the West. And that there was nothing about his career up to 2014 which would have suggested to him that such a visit may not have been a wise move.

Certainly he believes the Palestinian cause to be legitimate but I can't honestly believe Corbyn reckons the kidnapping, torture and murder of athletes is a legitimate tactic and that its perpetrators are worthy of honour. I reckon your second paragraph approximates to the truth but Corbyn's always enjoyed my full support so my impression might be no better than fan fiction. My guess is that he was primarily motivated by remembering those killed in the Israeli air strike and this was front and centre of any efforts to persuade him to go. The finer details of who else was interred was somewhat glossed over as "more martyrs murdered by Mossad" and Corbyn was more than happy to go along with this.

If Thornberry became leader and got rid of McDonnell she'd be odds on for the next PM IMO

Im not sure she would be able to get rid of mcdonnell (at least in the short term... momentum etc) but yeah certainly wouldn't hurt her chances (provided she does not go crazy and pick someone like abbot)

Longer term as well I think its unlikely May survives and I think Thornberry would contrast well against a Johnson or Mogg - sadly though I expect Corbyn to be in charge at the next election and I have no doubt he will find some way to loose as he just does not resonate with enough of the electorate (no doubt momentum will blame blair for that as well)

Certainly he believes the Palestinian cause to be legitimate but I can't honestly believe Corbyn reckons the kidnapping, torture and murder of athletes is a legitimate tactic and that its perpetrators are worthy of honour.

I don’t think he necessarily views those actions as legitimate, just that he sees them as basically unfortunate episodes which are ultimately the product of Israeli actions and Zionism itself. In this sense, he sees the perpetrators as victims, no less than the dead athletes or the Palestinians killed in ‘85.

Im not sure she would be able to get rid of mcdonnell (at least in the short term... momentum etc) but yeah certainly wouldn't hurt her chances (provided she does not go crazy and pick someone like abbot)

Longer term as well I think its unlikely May survives and I think Thornberry would contrast well against a Johnson or Mogg - sadly though I expect Corbyn to be in charge at the next election and I have no doubt he will find some way to loose as he just does not resonate with enough of the electorate (no doubt momentum will blame blair for that as well)

There's an awful lot of them who just love a (perceived) antisemite.

I don’t think he necessarily views those actions as legitimate, just that he sees them as basically unfortunate episodes which are ultimately the product of Israeli actions and Zionism itself. In this sense, he sees the perpetrators as victims, no less than the dead athletes.

Oh come on, you can just as easily turn this statement around in support of the actions of the Israeli government against Palestinian civilians.

Oh come on, you can just as easily turn this statement around in support of the actions of the Israeli government against Palestinian civilians.

I'm not arguing in support of Corbyn, just describing how I think he approaches these things.

I don’t think he necessarily views those actions as legitimate, just that he sees them as basically unfortunate episodes which are ultimately the product of Israeli actions and Zionism itself. In this sense, he sees the perpetrators as victims, no less than the dead athletes or the Palestinians killed in ‘85.

I think he would hold similar views to those he expressed regarding the Manchester bombing. That while their actions were ultimately a consequence of British (Israeli) foreign policy this in no way mitigates the terrorist's guilt and they should be reviled regardless. Granted this relies on him not knowing who 'those killed by Mossad' actually were.

I think he would hold similar views to those he expressed regarding the Manchester bombing. That while their actions were ultimately a consequence of British foreign policy this in no way mitigates the terrorist's guilt and they should be reviled regardless.
He gave that speech about a week after the bombing and his polling numbers went up - and this was before we learned that the UK government sent him to fight in Libya and brought him back.

Part of that, I imagine, is that to speak to Loyalists or hear pro-Loyalist arguments he needn't leave parliament, he'll have spoken to these people hundreds of times in the 35 years he's been an MP. If you wanted to hear a Republican perspective on Northern Ireland as a British politician in the 80s you had to go out and purposefully seek it out. Similarly, as representatives of a key Western ally in the Middle East, Israeli ambassadors and politicians have access to the British political system that Palestinian advocates don't. You don't exactly have to actively seek people out in order to understand a pro-Loyalist or pro-Israel perspective, they're both status-quo positions in the political system he's worked in for over three decades.

I find this a disingenuous argument when it comes to interventions because we can never know what the consequences of non-intervention would have been.
In the case of something like the Iraq war it’s clear as daylight - it was clear it was a disastrous campaign and by that token Corbyn was dignified in his vehement opposition to it back in 2002/3.

Pity for Thornberry.

She'd be in an ideal position if she was leader by the middle of 2019.

Trump will lose the house in the midterms.

He is odds-on not to win a 2nd term (and maybe impeached before that).

The UK economy will totally tank if we get a hard Brexit as is the want of Mogg and Johnson.

Then the love-affair with this ideological populist bollocks will hopefully end.

There would be a desire to return to more centrist politics and a pragmatic/realistic approach to the economy.

A GE would be called and she'd walk it.

That didn’t happen because Corbyn persuaded the rival factions to come to the table.
I’m not accrediting Corbyn for it, rather how his willingness to speak to adversarial factions preceded the government eventually doing so which in hindsight has now been regarded as the dignified thing to do.

He gave that speech about a week after the bombing and his polling numbers went up - and this was before we learned that the UK government sent him to fight in Libya and brought him back.

Right, and I wholeheartedly agree with him that while engaging in dubious wars of aggression leaves us open to being targeted by lunatics those lunatics should nevertheless be condemned. How gobsmacking it would be though, having expressed those sentiments, to then find him praying at the foot of their graves.

Whataboutery.

There is no denying that arms sales in whatever capacity are contentious.

Corbyn was not on the right side of history. He was not instrumental in any peaceful progress with the troubles. If his genuine concern is for peace then he wouldn't have taken any side. As far as I can see he positively came down on the side of the IRA.
It’s not whataboutery, rather a comparison to what a genuine endorsement of terrorism would look like. If Corbyn advocated sending weapons and fighter jets to Hamas the same way the British government does so for the Saudis then you have grounds for accusing him of endorsement.

Also I don’t buy your notion of staying neutral to advocate peace. To assume a passive role would do nothing but advocate the status quo. And it’s not about ‘taking sides’ either. You can propose dialogue with factions without swearing your allegiance to them.

It’s not whataboutery, rather a comparison to what a genuine endorsement of terrorism would look like. If Corbyn advocated sending weapons and fighter jets to Hamas the same way the British government does so for the Saudis then you have grounds for accusing him of endorsement.

Also I don’t buy your notion of staying neutral to advocate peace. To assume a passive role would do nothing but advocate the status quo. And it’s not about ‘taking sides’ either. You can propose dialogue with factions without swearing your allegiance to them.

You have to see both sides of the argument though. Corbyn only sees one side. The protestants in NI and the Israelis are human beings too. With aspirations and a desire to live peacefully. If you are going to make a positive contribution to peace you need to talk to both sides. Lining up with one cause will get you nowhere.

You have to see both sides of the argument though. Corbyn only sees one side. The protestants in NI and the Israelis are human beings too. With aspirations and a desire to live peacefully. If you are going to make a positive contribution to peace you need to talk to both sides. Lining up with one cause will get you nowhere.
Agreed. The trouble is by default we’re not seeing both sides. In the case of Northern Ireland the default sentiment from Britain’s perspective was to always endorse the loyalist stance for obvious reasons, meaning that the opposing viewpoint was always going to be distorted or drowned out. Hence it was imperative there be some initiative to reach out to the other side.

The same applies to Israel. This country and more so it’s closest ally the US has decided to heavily weigh the narrative in Israel’s favour. What I imagine Corybn’s approach to be here is to level the field allowing there to be a more balanced garnering of perspectives.

Both aspire to be the Prime Minister of the UK

If it is true Liv, and the signs are that he did know the Munich lot were in there, then for me this is different order of magnitude to Boris's comments.
I’m fascinated to know what you think Corbyn will do as PM that you have to be so afraid of?

After all his comments on foreign policy and the fact he’s so obviously a pacifist, what is it you’re scared of?

I mean, the most likely thing he’d do would be to begin nuclear disarmament for the U.K., yet you seem to be under the illusion he supports terrorist violence?

Pity for Thornberry.

She'd be in an ideal position if she was leader by the middle of 2019.

Trump will lose the house in the midterms.

He is odds-on not to win a 2nd term (and maybe impeached before that).

The UK economy will totally tank if we get a hard Brexit as is the want of Mogg and Johnson.

Then the love-affair with this ideological populist bollocks will hopefully end.

There would be a desire to return to more centrist politics and a pragmatic/realistic approach to the economy.

A GE would be called and she'd walk it.
Very little would change with Emily Thornberry as leader. She’s ideologically aligned with Corbyn, backed by Momentum and, if memory serves, is not a member of Labour Friends of Israel which would leave her facing the same opposition from within her party from Jess Philips et al.

I’m fascinated to know what you think Corbyn will do as PM that you have to be so afraid of?

After all his comments on foreign policy and the fact he’s so obviously a pacifist, what is it you’re scared of?

I mean, the most likely thing he’d do would be to begin nuclear disarmament for the U.K., yet you seem to be under the illusion he supports terrorist violence?
He has sympathy for the oppressed in whatever circumstance. That is because his policies are founded in the ideology he clearly supports which depends on having oppressed people.

This is good for protesting and turning the light on matters but is is not good for governing a country like the UK.

Tax the rich into oblivion.
Be unwilling to press the button even if we are attacked.
Let any faction with a beef about their lot have their way.

All very admirable but totally unworkable.