Jarrad Branthwaite

move on from this one....get in De Ligt then come back to this if we can move Maguire and/or Lindelof

Offer Everton a straight swap for Maguire because apparently they think he's worth £80 million:lol:

There's a reason why english defenders dont play at top clubs aboard, the fee doesnt match the quality. 50M rejected we move on, there are plenty promising CBs we can get for that fee. Antonio Silva, Scalvini, Inacio, Kossonou, Diomande, Yoro, Caliafiori, etc there are plenty options for promising CBs I dont understand the need of overpaying for british players.

move on from this one....get in De Ligt then come back to this if we can move Maguire and/or Lindelof
I thought this was always the gameplan, since it’s obvious. Why potentially overpay for Branthwaite, and get lowballed for Maguire/Lindelof later since we would have too many CBs in the squad.

Unless we already found a potential buyer for Maguire/Lindelof and haven’t pulled the trigger yet to keep some leverage for a Branthwaite negotiation.

There's a reason why english defenders dont play at top clubs aboard, the fee doesnt match the quality. 50M rejected we move on, there are plenty promising CBs we can get for that fee. Antonio Silva, Scalvini, Inacio, Kossonou, Diomande, Yoro, Caliafiori, etc there are plenty options for promising CBs I dont understand the need of overpaying for british players.
agreed ....there are too many promising young CB's to pay over the odds for an english CB

I thought this was always the gameplan, since it’s obvious. Why potentially overpay for Branthwaite, and get lowballed for Maguire/Lindelof later since we would have too many CBs in the squad.

Unless we already found a potential buyer for Maguire/Lindelof and haven’t pulled the trigger yet to keep some leverage for a Branthwaite negotiation.
might be the game plan but not until we actually hear speculation/rumors of clubs being interested in either player

Agree with this entirely.

I also think people are really underselling how much his physical traits differentiate him from the other CBs we have in the squad currently. He's superior physically and has the ability to defend 1v1 in space and effectively at a numbers disadvantage in transition which we currently lack. This, plus the ability and experience to play both LCB and RCB make him an ideal partner in certain games to both Lisandro and de Ligt.

Additionally, I think he has the physical traits to make him an option, at least in the short-term, to provide cover and competition for Shaw and Malacia.

Agree completely. I don't know if it's because people are scared of the last expensive English CB we signed, or if people just haven't watched him at all and just think he's a big lumbering CB that we are getting ripped off for. But either way this guy is one of the better young CB prospects in the sport, and an absolute beast physically (and yes he has good pace).

I don't want to spend 70m and cave to Everton, but 55m is fair for this guy's potential when you also add in the PL+homegrown English tax.

PL transfers are always over priced. West Ham spent 40 million on Kilman who is 27 year old CB, so can't see these 50 million bids getting accepted. It will be huge fee.

Seems like this is the potential transfer people here think least, of which makes me wary given he’s a pretty well known PL player.

I just hope a big outlay on this player doesn’t hinder us in adding another midfielder (playmaker) and attacker (winger) aside from Ugarte and Zirkzee.

Seems like this is the potential transfer people here think least, of which makes me wary given he’s a pretty well known PL player.

I just hope a big outlay on this player doesn’t hinder us in adding another midfielder (playmaker) and attacker (winger) aside from Ugarte and Zirkzee.

To be fair this reason enough for some to not want him. British and they’ve actually seen him play? No thank you.

To be fair this reason enough for some to not want him. British and they’ve actually seen him play? No thank you.
True. The issue is that I barely see anyone here that rates him highly and I’m just going by other’s inputs as the clips don’t look great either. Hope we know what we’re doing.

True. The issue is that I barely see anyone here that rates him highly and I’m just going by other’s inputs as the clips don’t look great either. Hope we know what we’re doing.
I think he’s got a lot of potential, but anything over 50m, right now with all our other issues just doesn’t seem like wise businesses

Let's move on then.

"#EFC see Maguire, Fofana, Gvardiol as pricing benchmarks"

Oh they can eat a bag of salted d*cks. In what universe does a 2019 transfer for a 26 year old full international CB have any bearing whatsoever on a 2024 bid for a completely unproven 22 year old with one good season under his belt?

If they take the Maguire transfer at face value they should be scrambling to give us Branthwaite + £10 mil for him.

So we’re after 2 CBs a ST and a DM. We could get another decent CB for 45m.

Agree completely. I don't know if it's because people are scared of the last expensive English CB we signed, or if people just haven't watched him at all and just think he's a big lumbering CB that we are getting ripped off for. But either way this guy is one of the better young CB prospects in the sport, and an absolute beast physically (and yes he has good pace).

I don't want to spend 70m and cave to Everton, but 55m is fair for this guy's potential when you also add in the PL+homegrown English tax.
Completely agree.

I think this will get done at 60m, 50 + 10 add ons.
Ruud probably lay out the pro arguments for Brainwaith on his first day :lol:.

Also, I find it funny though that Everton is using Maguire, Fofana and Gvardiol as benchmark
2 was massively overpriced, and 1 is an in-his-prime player who just had a good tournament. And even he was a little bit overpriced IMO

Can't say I watched much of Everton last season but he was absolutely shite against us.

Don’t forget a LB 5 new additions looks like a good start.
Agreed. But do you not think signing 2 CBs means he may use Martinez, Branthwaite as a cover LB similar to how city use Ake? It gets 2 signings in 1. I don’t see either new CB being happy to be on the bench and Martinez should be first choice when fit. Also i would put a RW high up on the priority list, we have no goalscoring threat or creativity from wide areas and especially since we’re selling sancho and greenwood.

Can we stop going for clearly overpriced targets? If they don't want to accept 50 mil then move on.

Agreed. But do you not think signing 2 CBs means he may use Martinez, Branthwaite as a cover LB similar to how city use Ake? It gets 2 signings in 1. I don’t see either new CB being happy to be on the bench and Martinez should be first choice when fit. Also i would put a RW high up on the priority list, we have no goalscoring threat or creativity from wide areas and especially since we’re selling sancho and greenwood.

just having fit players will be an great start. Competition for places etc.. we all know what happened last season, not using it as an excuse obviously but I do find it players gets really casual if they know they will start with no one trying to get their spot. However we will want to play this season, having players that can play in different positions will benefit the team greatly. That Turkish lad we in for looks like can play lots of positions as well.

I don’t think we should be going above that, focus elsewhere if they genuinely want £70m

I’d rather we went for Guehi - appears cheaper and is very solid.

Everton think this is Utd of old - we should just move on especially if there is zero encouragement.

There's no way anyone at the club is actually expecting Everton to entertain that offer, so I'm not sure what it is we're doing here.

This seems more like a PR ploy by INEOS, the more I think about it. Try to bid well under what a club is demanding for their English Homegrown player to put more context for the bids being planned in the future. It's obvious Branthwaite isn't worth the fee being asked for by Everton, but they have all the right to hold their own.

Who are our home grown players currently?

United HG: Rashford, McT, Heaton, Garnacho, (Mainoo), Amad (?), (Kambwala), Evans, Mejbri

English league HG: Sancho, Maguire, Shaw, Wan Bissaka

Have I missed any?

It's quite likely that 3 of the 4 from the 2nd list will be off this year or next, and possible that Rashford, McT, Heaton, Evans, Mejbri leave in the same timeframe. I assume we'll therefore want to keep Kambwala around which would give us 3+ United HG still and then Shaw most likely from the English HG. Is 5 the right number in total? The penalty is you lose an over age squad place from your 25 for every home grown player you don't have right?

We've obviously got the likes of Amass and the various CMs coming through as well but they won't be 21+ for a while so don't really factor I guess. I guess Mainoo probably has 2 years before we need to worry about his home grown status too, though maybe it's not a big problem as we certainly won't need to register an extra squad place since he will be in the first team for sure. Maybe a 24 man squad is fine at that point.

Certainly bringing Branthwaite in wouldn't hurt from a HG perspective though would it? You never know whether e.g. Amad will want to leave at some point if he doesn't break through as first choice and we don't want to have to rely on kids if they're not ready yet. Can't imagine it's the dominant factor in our thinking though, probably a lot more to do with his two footedness and physicality giving us options for our CB partnerships and tactics.

Pallister was a record signing back in the day, I'm sure Ferdinand was as well for a centre half....Maguire cost a few quid.....If United want this chap then just pay up as they have always done. Everton don't want to sell him, hence the high price tag, so if they do lose him they have some cash to spend elsewhere

Who are our home grown players currently?

United HG: Rashford, McT, Heaton, Garnacho, (Mainoo), Amad (?), (Kambwala), Evans, Mejbri

English league HG: Sancho, Maguire, Shaw, Wan Bissaka

Have I missed any?

It's quite likely that 3 of the 4 from the 2nd list will be off this year or next, and possible that Rashford, McT, Heaton, Evans, Mejbri leave in the same timeframe. I assume we'll therefore want to keep Kambwala around which would give us 3+ United HG still and then Shaw most likely from the English HG. Is 5 the right number in total? The penalty is you lose an over age squad place from your 25 for every home grown player you don't have right?

We've obviously got the likes of Amass and the various CMs coming through as well but they won't be 21+ for a while so don't really factor I guess. I guess Mainoo probably has 2 years before we need to worry about his home grown status too, though maybe it's not a big problem as we certainly won't need to register an extra squad place since he will be in the first team for sure. Maybe a 24 man squad is fine at that point.

Certainly bringing Branthwaite in wouldn't hurt from a HG perspective though would it? You never know whether e.g. Amad will want to leave at some point if he doesn't break through as first choice and we don't want to have to rely on kids if they're not ready yet. Can't imagine it's the dominant factor in our thinking though, probably a lot more to do with his two footedness and physicality giving us options for our CB partnerships and tactics.

you missed Mount, we need 8 HG in the squad so we should be alright there, even if we sell the likes of Maguire & Mct, we'd still have enough.

He has three years left on his contract. If he only had a year left it would be more precarious but at this stage I expect we feel confident.
To be fair, I think he stays as well. But I do think he wants it and is probably a little unsettled.

Get in to his people’s ear to have him pressure Everton into accepting a bid by telling them he wants the move - then cum in hard with an offer of £55m plus £10m in add ons and this will get done.

You have to pay good money for English potential and this is a reasonable offer for both sides.