Jarrad Branthwaite

I dunno, I would tend to agree with him. I think that all clubs in the PL should have their players valued by an independent valuer and United should be allowed to buy them at our leisure. Players should also graciously accept their current wages when they join us on the understanding that we are doing them a favour in allowing them to join our (previously) illustrious club.
:lol:

This is not an exercise in buying Jarrad Braithwaite. It's an exercise in loudly signalling to the market that we don't overpay any more. As such it's going really well.

I know it sounds crazy, but I think that It's a win-win scenario for United.
  • If Everton does not sell him for 50m, we can say that we know when to pull out of a deal, and we won't be taken for a ride. It will send a message that United is no longer a cow you can milk at any time. At this exact stage, Woodward would've done something stupid, like throw an extra 30m, just to get him.
  • If Everton does sell him for 50m, we will show that we know how to negotiate, that our second bid is actually, our second and final, and that if not accepted, we are ready to move to other targets if our valuation of a player is not accepted
Before, clubs knew that once we sent the first bid for one of their players, they could absolutely take us to the cleaners. This is why Borussia Dortmund tried that 130m ask for Sancho the first time around, why we had to pay a bit more for Mount, Martinez, and why Ajax got 86m for Antony.

I can understand Everton's reluctance to let him go for less than £70M. He will have another great season and there will be more clubs in for him next summer.

Or they could get relegated, he gets founds out and have to sell him for £20m. £50m is more than fair value for a player of his quality and experience. Now, Everton can demand whatever they want, but it's not certain that his value will only increase from here.

I hope we won't budge and just leave if the demand is unrealistic. 70m is too much in my opinion.
Looking back anytime the club is desperate for a deal it rarely ends well.

If we pay anything above 50million it will be a clear indication that nothing has changed in terms of us paying over the odds.

If we pay anything above 50million it will be a clear indication that nothing has changed in terms of us paying over the odds.

Why are people so focused on not paying over the odds - I don't care if we pay over the odds as long as we sign the right players. Pallister was well above the odds, Cole was over the odds, Keane was over the odds, Nistelrooy was over the odds, Ferdinand was over the odds.....our problem is not that we are paying too much. Our problem is that we are paying too much for the wrong players.

I would rather we pay £10 million too much for a player we want, than getting a good deal on a player who is 7th on our list

Why are people so focused on not paying over the odds - I don't care if we pay over the odds as long as we sign the right players. Pallister was well above the odds, Cole was over the odds, Keane was over the odds, Nistelrooy was over the odds, Ferdinand was over the odds.....our problem is not that we are paying too much. Our problem is that we are paying too much for the wrong players.

I would rather we pay £10 million too much for a player we want, than getting a good deal on a player who is 7th on our list

Price paid only ends up mattering when someone is crap.

For the right players, of course. But not for all/most players. Otherwise it'll be Woodward all over again and it sets the tone for future negotiations.

For the right players, of course. But not for all/most players. Otherwise it'll be Woodward all over again and it sets the tone for future negotiations.

No but if we sign Zirkzee and DeLigt for £30-40 million - which is a good price for those players - Ugarte for £50 million - which is more or less correct - why would people care if we paid £10-15 million too much for Branthwaite IF (and that is a big IF) - ETH and Wilcox etc are convinced he is the player we need

Honestly, the lack of gratitude from these diddy clubs when we blatantly try to unsettle their players is really annoying. Almost enough to make me not want to bother in the first place.

No he'd just been relegated to the Championship

No, Leicester won the league in the 15/16 season and Harry was playing for Hull City in the Championship. The previous season he was on loan for the second half of the season in the Championship to Wigan who got relegated to League 1.

Or they could get relegated, he gets founds out and have to sell him for £20m. £50m is more than fair value for a player of his quality and experience. Now, Everton can demand whatever they want, but it's not certain that his value will only increase from here.

I agree with the relegation threat, but how exactly would he get "found out"? Yes, after a bad season, his stock would decline, but professional scouts of big clubs would still know how good he is. It's not some sort of gamble where 1 bad season will have United's scouting department thinking that their assessment of the player was way off.

No, Leicester won the league in the 15/16 season and Harry was playing for Hull City in the Championship. The previous season he was on loan for the second half of the season in the Championship to Wigan who got relegated to League 1.
Correct, I was thinking of when he signed for Leicester in 2017.

As we don't go any higher that's fine. We have to stop being the joke club, and for me he's really, really not worth this kind of fee already. Paying for potential is dangerous, particularly with CBs who aren't allowed to make mistakes at United.

So if you get this dude and De Ligt, what does that mean for all Martinez? A move to midfield or LB? Or a back 3?

Interesting times indeed.
With a minimum of

38 League Games
8 Europa League Games more than likely 12 games basing that on us getting to the 1/4 finals
2 Cups Game
1 Shield Game

Injuries and suspensions there will be plenty of playing time, especially the dreaded Thursday Sunday routine.

Price paid only ends up mattering when someone is crap.
bingo.
Don't know what people expect here for a highly rated young English player with 3 years left on his contract.
Everton could ask for any price and we are free to pay up or walkaway.
Fecking Maguire deal is evoking PTSD in everyone it seems

So if you get this dude and De Ligt, what does that mean for all Martinez? A move to midfield or LB? Or a back 3?

Both Martínez and Branthwaite can play either LCB or LB. They can play together as well. We also need to think about it in terms of having a strong squad and depth, rather than being focused on having a strongest XI and signing players based on how they slot into that. Martínez will probably play every game unless he's injured. or needs a rest, or there's an EFL cup game or a home game in the PL vs the bottom team, so it's not essential that he plays.

Just remember how rare it was at times under Ferguson that we'd see the same starting XI two games in a row...or look how Arsenal are signing Calafiori despite having good options already at both LB and LCB. With injuries, suspensions, rotations, advancing from the EL group stages and domestic cups, there should be enough playtime for everyone even if we sign Branthwaite. And the squad just naturally evolves anyway. If someone doesn't get enough playtime, it's because he has no role at the club anymore and they should leave. Like how Zinchenko's already probably leaving Arsenal despite being a key player for them in 2022/23.

I know it sounds crazy, but I think that It's a win-win scenario for United.
  • If Everton does not sell him for 50m, we can say that we know when to pull out of a deal, and we won't be taken for a ride. It will send a message that United is no longer a cow you can milk at any time. At this exact stage, Woodward would've done something stupid, like throw an extra 30m, just to get him.
  • If Everton does sell him for 50m, we will show that we know how to negotiate, that our second bid is actually, our second and final, and that if not accepted, we are ready to move to other targets if our valuation of a player is not accepted
Before, clubs knew that once we sent the first bid for one of their players, they could absolutely take us to the cleaners. This is why Borussia Dortmund tried that 130m ask for Sancho the first time around, why we had to pay a bit more for Mount, Martinez, and why Ajax got 86m for Antony.
There is the other option that it continues through the summer. We keep going back in with new bids and on deadline day agree to pay 68.5M

Martinez is first choice on the whole teamsheet at CB. Could see Branthwaite playing LB given our issues there and also general lack of height.

No but if we sign Zirkzee and DeLigt for £30-40 million - which is a good price for those players - Ugarte for £50 million - which is more or less correct - why would people care if we paid £10-15 million too much for Branthwaite IF (and that is a big IF) - ETH and Wilcox etc are convinced he is the player we need
Agreed. I don't see Branthwaite as a must have though. Unless if we are offloading one or two CB.

If we're getting De Ligt for around 40m, surely that suggests the market has shifted downwards and Everton's valuation is based on past/outdated windows?

If we're getting De Ligt for around 40m, surely that suggests the market has shifted downwards and Everton's valuation is based on past/outdated windows?

Not really, it's just different circumstances. Everton wants to hold on to the player, Bayern are open to offload the player, on bigger wages.

There is the other option that it continues through the summer. We keep going back in with new bids and on deadline day agree to pay 68.5M

True, but if this morning's reports about our 51m bid being accepted for Yoro are true, it really means that we are ready to move on. Whether we will get Yoro or not, it's another thing, as he has his preference.

Ineos are playing 4D chess -

“we see him as similar to other high profile defenders in the market. You pay a premium. £70m”

“we’ve just signed ex Ajax, Juventus and Bayern defender De Ligt for £45m”

“Oh……yeah but still!”

I agree with your point to a degree there but Cole was the reigning Golden Boot holder when we signed him. Ferdinand had arguably been Leeds' best player in a run to the CL semi final the previous season. Branthwaite cant even get into the England squad right now who are having to play Luke Shaw in central defence due to a lack of other options.

Really is fantastic to come on and check the progress of a signing yet get cutting edge analysis like this.

Wonder what the odds are on finding the same poster complaining about De Ligt’s injury history in another thread

Think we need to learn to walk away. Everton would love us to cough up that £70m - they’re desperate for that cash to help even their books.

If they reject £50m, I say we stop chasing him and move on. He’ll stay, likely be disgruntled, perhaps not have a great season and if we’re still keen next year we can potentially get him for cheaper.

I don’t want to see us sucked into paying overinflated prices for largely unproven players - which he is (£50m is still ridiculous in my opinion)