Jarrad Branthwaite

We clearly want the LCB to be the ball player, that feeds the midfield and attack.

The RCBs will be De Ligt and Varane types, good in the air and reasonable with the feet ala vidic.

I'm hoping there's a ball playing LCB at a cheaper price than what Everton want for Branthwaite but the English tax and us wanting a homegrown players is probs why we haven't yet moved on. I'd suggest 60m will be the final bid. See if it's accepted. I'd rather we signed someone else but see what the new recruitment guys can do.

Who are our home grown players currently?

United HG: Rashford, McT, Heaton, Garnacho, (Mainoo), Amad (?), (Kambwala), Evans, Mejbri

English league HG: Sancho, Maguire, Shaw, Wan Bissaka

Have I missed any?

It's quite likely that 3 of the 4 from the 2nd list will be off this year or next, and possible that Rashford, McT, Heaton, Evans, Mejbri leave in the same timeframe. I assume we'll therefore want to keep Kambwala around which would give us 3+ United HG still and then Shaw most likely from the English HG. Is 5 the right number in total? The penalty is you lose an over age squad place from your 25 for every home grown player you don't have right?

We've obviously got the likes of Amass and the various CMs coming through as well but they won't be 21+ for a while so don't really factor I guess. I guess Mainoo probably has 2 years before we need to worry about his home grown status too, though maybe it's not a big problem as we certainly won't need to register an extra squad place since he will be in the first team for sure. Maybe a 24 man squad is fine at that point.

Certainly bringing Branthwaite in wouldn't hurt from a HG perspective though would it? You never know whether e.g. Amad will want to leave at some point if he doesn't break through as first choice and we don't want to have to rely on kids if they're not ready yet. Can't imagine it's the dominant factor in our thinking though, probably a lot more to do with his two footedness and physicality giving us options for our CB partnerships and tactics.

For the purposes of UEFA, I think it's McTominay*, Mount, Shaw*, Rashford*, Wan-Bissaka, Heaton*, Evans*, Maguire, Hannibal*, and Amad, with asterisked having trained 3 years for us between the ages of 15 and 21 (ie; HG at club). So that's ten players overall.

You get a 25-player squad but 8 have to be HG, of which 4 have to be HG at club.

With the PL, I think it's easier to just see it as you get up to 17 foreign players over the age of 21, so usually easy peasy. In both cases players under 21 are pretty much freebies, hence not counting Kobbie or Kambwala.

If Heaton and Evans were to retire and we were to then sell Wan-Bissaka, for instance, we'd need an HG player if we wanted to make up the full 25-man limit.

For the purposes of UEFA, I think it's McTominay*, Mount, Shaw*, Rashford*, Wan-Bissaka, Heaton*, Evans*, Maguire, Hannibal*, and Amad, with asterisked having trained 3 years for us between the ages of 15 and 21 (ie; HG at club). So that's ten players overall.

You get a 25-player squad but 8 have to be HG, of which 4 have to be HG at club.

With the PL, I think it's easier to just see it as you get up to 17 foreign players over the age of 21, so usually easy peasy. In both cases players under 21 are pretty much freebies, hence not counting Kobbie or Kambwala.

If Heaton and Evans were to retire and we were to then sell Wan-Bissaka, for instance, we'd need an HG player if we wanted to make up the full 25-man limit.

Oh ok so we could be pretty tight then in a couple of years' time depending on which players leave. Kambwala would become United trained if he were still here and yeah I forgot about Mount so that obviously helps but we could in theory be down to Kambwala, Garnacho, Amad/Rashford (I assume at least one would stay), Shaw (I thought he was 19 when he signed for us? Is it inclusive of 21? So would Dalot count?) and Mount. Obviously if McT and Maguire stayed plus both of Amad and Rashford then it becomes easier. Or we just sack it off and play the youngsters coming through, we've a lot of good ones, maybe it's worth the risk.

Why are they even trying so far below Everton's valuation?
Just wasting time imo

It’s only wasting time if it’s impeding our other targets which it doesn’t seem to be.

As stated earlier in the thread I think we are using Everton to tell the world we won’t be paying ludicrous fees.

I think we are getting close to our limit for the player this summer. I hope we try one last time for £55m and move on if Everton reject that too.

He would be a great signing, but not one we cannot afford to miss out on. There's also always next summer to come back in for him.

Oh ok so we could be pretty tight then in a couple of years' time depending on which players leave. Kambwala would become United trained if he were still here and yeah I forgot about Mount so that obviously helps but we could in theory be down to Kambwala, Garnacho, Amad/Rashford (I assume at least one would stay), Shaw (I thought he was 19 when he signed for us? Is it inclusive of 21? So would Dalot count?) and Mount. Obviously if McT and Maguire stayed plus both of Amad and Rashford then it becomes easier. Or we just sack it off and play the youngsters coming through, we've a lot of good ones, maybe it's worth the risk.

Shaw was 18 when we signed him, it goes to the season during which the player has their 21st birthday, and Dalot doesn't count. If you want the full details of it all it's under Article 31 of this.

There's nothing wrong with having empty slots and I'm pretty sure a lot of teams do, but yeah for the club trained quota, you kind of just have to hope more kids keep coming through.

We should keep bidding a bit more. Unsettle the player. Hopefully Branthwaite asks to leave as well.

Even if it doesn't happen this summer, we will have laid out the foundations for him to eventually make the move in the future.

De Ligt 43M (£), Branthwaite 60M? There really is no value available in EPL. Even smaller and middle table clubs has money to say no. We should be aiming to continental Europe. Players there are easily 20-30% cheaper, if not more.

De Ligt 43M (£), Branthwaite 60M? There really is no value available in EPL. Even smaller and middle table clubs has money to say no. We should be aiming to continental Europe. Players there are easily 20-30% cheaper, if not more.

Two completely different deals, though.

Bayern want de Ligt gone, mostly because of financial reasons and it also seems like Kompany would rather have Upamecano over him.

Everton value Branthwaite very highly, and don't want him to leave this summer, unless the offer is so good that they feel like they can't refuse it.

If Bayern considered de Ligt a key player for their future, they wouldn't even consider offers under the amount that they bought him for, which is around £65m.

This feels like the Football Manager tactic of just repeatedly bidding for the player to unsettle them!

I do like that we're going for him and De Ligt, and looking to really build out from the back.

We clearly want the LCB to be the ball player, that feeds the midfield and attack.

The RCBs will be De Ligt and Varane types, good in the air and reasonable with the feet ala vidic.

De Ligt is an excellent ball playing defender, he’s not in the vidic mould in that sense

The way transfers work for us, we should completely abandon it and have a plan of approaching and unsettling future free agents that have 1-2 years left on their contract. That way we will overpay only once instead of transfers and wages.

If the deal goes around 50, I would be happy. More than that, we should completely forget it.

Branthwaite is young, can potentially cover at left back and replace Licha in the LCB position, but it shouldn't be more than 50M for him.

I am sure that we can have other, better players for the same amount or less

The replies you've been getting to this are some of the strangest I've seen. Really fascinating.
Does feel a bit fragile. Don't think I'm being too controversial with what I'm saying.

The Everton sources and club comments have made it very clear where we stand on our players and Branthwaite and in his case the fee we have attached to him that we would like to receive.

Does feel a bit fragile. Don't think I'm being too controversial with what I'm saying.

The Everton sources and club comments have made it very clear where we stand on our players and Branthwaite and in his case the fee we have attached to him that we would like to receive.

Keith Wyness has been saying the same again and again on the Football Insider pod. I do wonder if a large chunk of that asking price could be in the form of achievable add-ons.

'Are you worth 70m lad?'

GSCb-Lp-DWEAApo-BD.jpg

If we really want him. Just wait a year then go back in for him when we have more money. Liverpool waiting a year for VVD. We’d still be getting a very young player. There is the chance he has a better season though and price goes up.

I'd like to think it's actively being considered.

Perhaps the next bid and if it's rejected we walk which is fair. Everton have a time limit on this so we can push them still.

What is our time limit?

Nobody is paying that. He’ll be staying.
The Maguire price (and other stupid deals) continues to haunt us and get thrown around as the base level. Read a good article (Athletic maybe) about PSR and impact on likely fees and that the days of 80m, even a 100m are probably gone.

Hope we stick to a tfr plan and move on OR only increase if it’s well structured (win/win) add ons.

Mates an Everton fan and says he’s class but doesn’t get all arsy about our involvement and us being “entitled” like a lot of Everton fans

I haven't watched a huge amount of him but I am pleased to see that the club knows we need more than 1 centre back this summer.

Imagine we paying 70m pounds for again another Maguire and Arsenal as usual make the better deal by signing an Italy international huge defensive talent for almost half that price.

Imagine we paying 70m pounds for again another Maguire and Arsenal as usual make the better deal by signing an Italy international huge defensive talent for almost half that price.

Really is fantastic to come on and check the progress of a signing yet get cutting edge analysis like this.

Everton are just being greedy here demanding a fee thats almost twice his actual market value but what did we expect from one of the cartel clubs? They were always going to try to take us to the cleaners.

We should walk away now and call their bluff.

Everton are just being greedy here demanding a fee thats almost twice his actual market value but what did we expect from one of the cartel clubs? They were always going to try to take us to the cleaners.

We should walk away now and call their bluff.
:lol: I wish this was a parody but you're actually being serious.

Really is fantastic to come on and check the progress of a signing yet get cutting edge analysis like this.

But true. I do not think Branthwaite is a better player Maguire tbh. Feel free to disagree and move on.

:lol: I wish this was a parody but you're actually being serious.

What part of my comment dont you agree with? This isnt a player you paid big money for or even an academy player you have developed for years, its s player you bought 3 years ago from Carlisle for 1m so there is absolutely no justificatiin for demanding such an extortianate price.

The offer on 45m +£5m add-ons was above his value and they should have bitten our hand off for that.

Last edited:
What part of my comment dont you agree with? This isnt a player you paid big money for or even an academy player you have developed for years, its s player you bought 3 years ago from Carlisle for 1m so there is absolutely no justificatiin for demanding such an extortianate price.

The offer on 45m +?5m add-ons was above his value and they should have bitten our hand off for that.

Everything. It's a daft post and comes across as incredibly arrogant.

Everything. It's a daft post and comes across as incredibly arrogant.

I dunno, I would tend to agree with him. I think that all clubs in the PL should have their players valued by an independent valuer and United should be allowed to buy them at our leisure. Players should also graciously accept their current wages when they join us on the understanding that we are doing them a favour in allowing them to join our (previously) illustrious club.

I can understand Everton's reluctance to let him go for less than £70M. He will have another great season and there will be more clubs in for him next summer.