Jarrad Branthwaite

2027 sounds like a pretty perfect time to pick him up really, just starting to hit his peak.

Need to look outside of the league really as all off these valuations are inflated, as expected teams either get greedy or slap on the "United" tax on a player, De Ligt for £40M is good business but £70M on Branthwaite is something Woodward would do, it's like no one has learnt from the Maguire saga.

Good thing I haven't said that then. All I'm saying is that when we have a clear valuation of the player and you're making these bids, it's only with one intention. To unsettle the player.
I'm not sure it's as calculated as you think it is. The same reporter who broke the news of the second bid also tweeted this:

We're probably offering as much as we can afford to offer right now in line with other deals that we're looking to complete like de Ligt and Zirkzee. We did the same with Mason Mount last year, increasing our bid in increments before eventually caving to Chelsea's valuation.

I would hope that we don't do the same this year because £65-70m is a huge amount for us to spend on one player, especially a CB, in a summer where we likely need to sign 7 or 8 new players.

This will no doubt be rejected and as many have said already we should move on.

If we have another £60-65m budget going spare and we’re keen for an English CB we might as well go for Guehi instead surely.

Why are they even trying so far below Everton's valuation?
Just wasting time imo

Good thing I haven't said that then. All I'm saying is that when we have a clear valuation of the player and you're making these bids, it's only with one intention. To unsettle the player.
Well yeah both clubs here are doing what they can to get the best out of it. Everton are absolutely entitled to hold out for the fee they see as reasonable. Similarly Utd will do what they can to lower the fee, including as you say, trying to unsettle the player. Something all clubs do when trying to get a player from a club perceived as being smaller to them.

I do think this will ultimately get done around the 60 Million mark. Both sides can pass that off as a good deal.

Perfect opportunity to show we won’t just ultimately pay up. Much better to stop & say no thanks.
He’s not a 60-70m defender so if Everton rate at that, better they keep him.
Unlike with Højlund, we’re rather stacked there so we shouldn’t feel desperate.

Oh for fecks sake United just move on. 50m is already overpaying.

We might go back with a guaranteed £50mil with some nominal add-ons but with the squad we currently have and de Ligt looking more certain, this is ultimately an easy deal to walk away from and would show that we have an upper limit for a player that we aren't going too go beyond.

Just leave it. Throw the money at one of the younger Portugese CBS.

Can’t see Everton getting that from any PL club with PSR rules being what they are. It’s a question of whether Everton actually want to cash in and balance their books or if they’re going to hold tight on the valuation knowing it’s unlikely to be met.

It might work out for them if he actually kicks on and keeps improving but are they truly going to maximize value by having him around another year? He could play like shit and get dropped. He could get injured. Lots of things could happen in a season. People were lining up to pay 70m for Evan Ferguson here and now no one wants him. What if he commits a few errors in a high profile game and Everton get smashed 4-0 or they get relegated? Could they afford the risk basically?

We all know we'll agree a deal very close to their asking price and then brief why it was a blinder of a deal.

People aren't idiots. No one here will claim it was a blinder of a deal if we pay close to 70m. Everyone will have a fair value radar for this type of signing and I think we're pretty close to it already for me. Maybe another 5m on top maximum and move on.

I'm beginning to get Mason Mount vibes from this saga. Thankfully John Murtough isn't spearheading the transfer, so hopefully we won't be in a situation in a few weeks time where Everton 'reluctantly' accept 65m+5m adds ons and we brief the press about how we drove a hard bargain and didn't give into Everton's high asking price.

Did we not sack the "£x + 5" guy in the reshuffle?

I think we go again with £55m+5 - Everton come back and ask for £60m+10 - and we negotiate it to £58m+7 or something like that (similar to the Mount situation).

I'm fairly convinced anything above £60m total would be a bad deal, but it's clear someone at the club likes him.

Still a bit confused about this one. Is it Branthwaite and De Ligt, or just one? If it's the former, will we really spend so much on, what you'd think, would be a back up option? With that being said, if our plan is to utilize Branthwaite in the left back position, too, then I guess it makes sense, as we'd be killing two birds with one stone. However, I'd want someone a bit more agile and better on the ball if that's what we had in mind. For example, someone like Murillo at Forest.

I'm beginning to get Mason Mount vibes from this saga. Thankfully John Murtough isn't spearheading the transfer, so hopefully we won't be in a situation in a few weeks time where Everton 'reluctantly' accept 65m+5m adds ons and we brief the press about how we drove a hard bargain and didn't give into Everton's high asking price.

69m + 1m of easy add ons. Done, classic Murtough

You have to respect Everton’s stance. This is an easy sale and easy money for a player they weren’t even using until fairly recently.

They obviously want to keep him and try and build something

I would honestly like us to just stand our ground and walk away if we feel the money isn't right. If Everton want to ask £70m+ for him then that's their right but we should just walk away if the figure starts getting too close to that, there are plenty of other good CBs knocking about.

Everton are absolutely entitled to demand a fee that they see fit for the player they've developed. And I think it's time now that we seriously considered alternative options.

It was predictable that Everton would reject the offers we made.

Perfect opportunity to show we won’t just ultimately pay up. Much better to stop & say no thanks.
He’s not a 60-70m defender so if Everton rate at that, better they keep him.
Unlike with Højlund, we’re rather stacked there so we shouldn’t feel desperate.

This. He's worth way more to Everton than to us time to withdraw and consider other alternatives.

Did we not sack the "£x + 5" guy in the reshuffle?

I think we go again with £55m+5 - Everton come back and ask for £60m+10 - and we negotiate it to £58m+7 or something like that (similar to the Mount situation).

I'm fairly convinced anything above £60m total would be a bad deal, but it's clear someone at the club likes him.

Maguire?

This isn't getting done for less than £60 million when Killman just went for £40.

I reckon there will be one final bid of £55+5 which is the most we would probably be willing to pay and that should just be about enough to seal it.

I have a gut feeling that Everton would seek atleast 60 mil. (the halfway price between 50 mil which he is probably worth and 75 or 80 mil paid for vandyk or mcguire

This isn't getting done for less than £60 million when Killman just went for £40.

I reckon there will be one final bid of £55+5 which is the most we would probably be willing to pay and that should just be about enough to seal it.

Agree with this entirely.

I also think people are really underselling how much his physical traits differentiate him from the other CBs we have in the squad currently. He's superior physically and has the ability to defend 1v1 in space and effectively at a numbers disadvantage in transition which we currently lack. This, plus the ability and experience to play both LCB and RCB make him an ideal partner in certain games to both Lisandro and de Ligt.

Additionally, I think he has the physical traits to make him an option, at least in the short-term, to provide cover and competition for Shaw and Malacia.

I'm sure there are still other targets, not least because we have some capable people in situ now, but if we really are desperate for him and he doesn't kick up a fuss (which doesn't seem likely) a similar bid with much higher add-ons might pressure Everton, especially as they are positioning as if he's one of the best young centre backs in world football, which he may or may not be. 50-55m with 30-40m in variously likely add-ons might prove difficult to turn down and justify to the player.

I do wonder why we would be spending so much on him though if we are still playing a back four and acquire de Ligt, with Martinez back to fitness. Is Branthwaite so versatile as being an option to cover for Shaw?

No chance here, unless the player also expresses deep interest.

He’s just been not selected for Euros, probably being at Everton is not getting him anyway near the squad.

Maybe he can try and force a move, because he isn’t worth anywhere close to 70 mil, Maguire is a precedent of the time when there wasn’t any PSR.

I just don't see anything special with Brainthwaite, certainly nowhere near the prices being quoted. From what I've seen of him (albeit not a great deal), he doesn't look good enough. What am I missing?

I just don't see anything special with Brainthwaite, certainly nowhere near the prices being quoted. From what I've seen of him (albeit not a great deal), he doesn't look good enough. What am I missing?

This might be one way to think of it:

City bought Kyle Walker for £45M in 2017, which translates to roughly £58M in 2024 (I used the Bank of England inflation conversion tool). I think that Kyle Walker at Spurs might be viewed very similarly to Branthwaite today: aggressive defenders with hugely impressive physical traits, importantly combining both strength and pace, but only decent technically and with question marks over their defending and positioning nous, though Branthwaite is considerably younger and less experienced (22 now to Kyle Walker's 27 in 2017). I think we are in a footballing environment where their rare combination of strength and pace make them highly valuable because of their perceived ability to defend one-on-one across large swathes of space, allowing for a high defensive line and a compact press. Otherwise, it's a fairly comparable fee. Note that I am not advocating for this signing one way or the other (I haven't seen enough of Branthwaite to form a strong opinion), but I can see why we are seeing the fees being mooted.

This will be some good insight to how INEOS will deal with things. Two rejections, INEOS are shopping in the 40-50 mill range this window, based on other deals currently being done. Do they walk away to actually make the point that we will no longer get strung along and try to stop the "english tax" killing us, or are they desperate for an english signing and we are going to get Maguire'd again.

Personally feel if they are that desperate for English signing then go and get Guehi, has proved in Euros he can play at LCB despite being right footed.