Jarrad Branthwaite

At 22 years old, just finished his first season in the Prem, 3 year left on this contract.

This summer is probably the worst time to try and buy him.

Another year at Everton would answer any questions about his ability and with 2 years remaining you could begin to negotiate a sensible value.

The current 70 million valuation is reaching the absolute limit of a CB, it's close to world record fees for a CB.

Yep this. The only way is he starts agitating for a move, submits a transfer request and makes it clear that he won't renew with Everton. Every year their negotiating position starts going down at that point.

In no way should we be after Branthwaite though (unless he was going for 10-20m and was willing to be back up). He’s a slightly above average footballer and defender. I’d have taken even Max Kilman over him. If we want to get back to the top, we need to aim for players with better ability than Jarrad fecking Branthwaite. Everton is his level.

If we get De ligt then we should look for a cheaper backup option than him. Maybe some young CB or experienced player who would be open to be squad player. No point in spending huge amount who is not going to be an automatic starter

Some people hate the term (and deny it) "English tax". But this is prime example of that.
Todibo, Yoro and De Ligt, 3 defenders more proven and probably better, are all cheaper than Branthwaite. All are in region of 50 mil euros. Everton want 80 mil euros for Branthwaite.

Last edited:
One to leave for now. We need to start being smarter with long-term planning.

At the end of his current contract in 2027 he will only be 24 (25 the following season). He’s also currently only on £35k a week. Keep the pressure on Everton next summer and ensure he knows we remain interested. He will either put pressure on to force a move next summer or Everton will get desperate to sell in 2026.

It’s not a particularly nice strategy but it’s how the likes of Bayern and Barcelona operate. This is currently the worst time to sign him when he’s just signed that new contract and Everton feel that they hold all the cards.

Some people hate the term (and deny it) "English tax". But this is prime example of that.
Todipo, Yoro and De Ligt, 3 defenders more proven and probably better, are all cheaper than Branthwaite. All are in region of 50 mil euros. Everton want 80 mil euros for Branthwaite.
Neither Yoro nor "Todipo" are more proven than Branthwaite.

He's not worth 70-80 million but let's not make up stuff.

Pretty pointless bumping this thread with tweets like that. It's quite clear the clubs are way off in terms of valuations and the deal is very much dead at this stage.

Pretty pointless bumping this thread with tweets like that. It's quite clear the clubs are way off in terms of valuations and the deal is very much dead at this stage.
Do the Everton sources reckon it won't happen? I think it'll get done around the 60 Million mark. Getting De Ligt for cheaper gives Utd a figure from which they can negotiate upwards. Branthwaite is home grown and has perhaps a bigger upside in terms of potential, not to mention significantly cheaper wages, so he will be expensive than De Ligt in terms of transfer fee but I think the 2 clubs will find a compromise around 60 million.

Do the Everton sources reckon it won't happen? I think it'll get done around the 60 Million mark. Getting De Ligt for cheaper gives Utd a figure from which they can negotiate upwards. Branthwaite is home grown and has perhaps a bigger upside in terms of potential, not to mention significantly cheaper wages, so he will be expensive than De Ligt in terms of transfer fee but I think the 2 clubs will find a compromise around 60 million.

We have been pretty clear with what will make it happen. You're far off it.

Todibo and De Ligt are. Yeah, Yoro isn't.
How? What has Todibo done to make him more proven? Playing for Nice in Ligue 1 isn't that much better than playing in the PL, even for a bottom half side. Neither player makes their nation's squad.

If anything Branthwaite seems to have way higher potential than Todibo. I mean it's shades of Amrabat how much people hype Todibo on here. He is a decent player but nothing special.

What about this one from the same guy

He said it was likely then a few hours later it happens, don't think it was too pointless

What about this one from the same guy

He said it was likely then a few hours later it happens, don't think it was too pointless

I think it is. If we have said 70m or close to it, then bids of 35-45m are utterly pointless.

Don't know it INEOS will be comfortable spending a good 20m more on him than MDL

Cool. Tell Jonny Evans to keep his boots handy and spend that on a left back or winger.

50m +10m add ons is what I thought it was going to be. Everton won't budge for that.

All this is, is you trying to unsettle him into pushing a move and trying to dick swing.

We should pull a Madrid, say how much we’d love him at the club and we’ll go back in for him next year. Get him to say he wants to come, kick up a bit of a fuss and get him next year for decent price.

I think it'd be a mistake to meet their price. The level of scrutiny and pressure that would come with a 70m+ price tag isn't something he's ready for imo.
Even from a selfish united point of view i think we'd be better off leaving him there for another year or two before spending that kind of fee on him. We'll get a much clearer picture of his level and he has time to cut out and work on some weak spots in a much more forgiving environment. Unless he's a starter for England and improved a tier or two then hes not worth that kind of fee.
Dont need to worry about anyone coming in and gazumping us at that price. Chelsea have Colwill who is probably better overall and no one else is crazy enough to spend that much.

Seems like we want to get both De Ligt and Branthwaite, not a case of one or the other. Would make sense with Varane leaving and Lindelof possibly following out the door.

This makes me believe that we'll end up using Greenwood money to send them a 55m + 5/10M in add ons deal to seal it afterwards...

Still think it'd be an overpay but we do seem very very keen on him this window so think it'll happen closer to Evertons terms