Jarrad Branthwaite

Hope we don't continue bidding like we did with Mount. If they don't accept just move on.

Hope we don't continue bidding like we did with Mount. If they don't accept just move on.

I don't agree with this narrative. He's proven in the PL, lots of potential and fits our side like a glove. It's clear why we want him. The talent of a negotiating team is in getting a deal done. Any rando can just walk away. I want to see some competence here in getting the deal over the line without overpaying.

I don't agree with this narrative. He's proven in the PL, lots of potential and fits our side like a glove. It's clear why we want him. The talent of a negotiating team is in getting a deal done. Any rando can just walk away. I want to see some competence here in getting the deal over the line without overpaying.
What's your highest bid?

I understand Man United want to leave behind the era of Woodward overpaying for signings. However I think a medium needs to be struck, as 35m plus 8m in add ons is a nothing bid. Everton will get at least 45-50m selling Amadou Onana. Branthwaite is the player they dont want to sell, whereas Onana would be one they would part with to ease FFP concerns.

Everton's 70m valuation on Branthwaite is not a bluff. They player's contract runs until 2027, so Everton would easily keep for another year before feeling any pressure to sell. Unelss you are prepared to go past 60m, then I dont think Everton will play along.

Reactions: Penna
What's your highest bid?

I think 50M + 10M add-ons (some combination of easy to achieve and hard to achieve) is fair. 70M is insanity as I've said elsewhere. There were only 6 CBs in the history of the game that went for around that price and most (except Fofana) had interest from all of Europe.

We're at 35M+8M so some way to go. Everton need to come to the negotiating table though. Right now the narrative from their fans is simply pay up or get the feck out we'll have him for another season. I think we need to get Branthwaite to make some noise about wanting to leave to weaken their negotiating position. Hopefully next week.

Fecking Woodturd recked us

If this is true, it pretty much means even Everton dont think he is worth that much but want us to pay a premium because that's what we do..

Sounds like them just saying 35-40m might make sense, but you guys like to spend more..

I have no idea about valuations.. just hope we have a number and dont exceed it..

Their counterpoint will be that John Stones went for £50m 8 years ago and the market has only gone up since then, we also bought Maguire 5 years ago for £80m, whose CV were limited to Hull and Leicester.

We can try to squeeze them of course but I suspect they will try to hold out by selling Onana first. Sporting ambition aside, he’s probably their most valuable asset, so unless they are super desperate, it doesn’t make sense to let him go under his market value.

I’m not fully sold on him tbh, the physical profile is right but he’s still very raw, however we might have to overpay a bit anyway because with Greenwood and Sancho going + Maguire contract running out/leaving, we might be short on hg players.
This kid doesnt have Stones's technical ability though. He's got the potential to maybe be a vidic with his physicality but thats pretty speculative. He didnt make the England squad in arguably our weakest position.

Branthwaite was bought from Carsyle and they receive 15 percent of any sale. I believe that means he is not homegrown. I'm really not sure how it all works ...
Wan Bisakka counts as homegrown for us so i presume it transfers. Any player thats played in england for more than 3 years before 21 qualifies. So you get weird outliers like Fabregas and Lukaku but its basically any english or welsh player.

If this is true, it pretty much means even Everton dont think he is worth that much but want us to pay a premium because that's what we do..

Sounds like them just saying 35-40m might make sense, but you guys like to spend more..

I have no idea about valuations.. just hope we have a number and dont exceed it..
Geez....the mind boggles at what price we are quoted if we are in the market for another winger :eek:

I think 50M + 10M add-ons (some combination of easy to achieve and hard to achieve) is fair. 70M is insanity as I've said elsewhere. There were only 6 CBs in the history of the game that went for around that price and most (except Fofana) had interest from all of Europe.

We're at 35M+8M so some way to go. Everton need to come to the negotiating table though. Right now the narrative from their fans is simply pay up or get the feck out we'll have him for another season. I think we need to get Branthwaite to make some noise about wanting to leave to weaken their negotiating position. Hopefully next week.
I’ll leave him alone and let them get docked points and hopefully get relegated tbh.

He's a 30 mill CB if ever there was one, but the hope is he can improve. Statistically laughably behind Tarkowski in almost every metric and no one wants him here :lol:

He's a 30 mill CB if ever there was one, but the hope is he can improve. Statistically laughably behind Tarkowski in almost every metric and no one wants him here :lol:

That's just not true. He isn't the finished article but looks to be one of the safest bets for the future and a perfect fit for our team. There aren't many 1,95m tall centre backs who are not only exceptional at the defending aspect (duel winning, aerial dominance, box defending, etc.) but are also technically secure and have shown good qualities in possession and he has pace on top of all these things as well. He's also English, 22, wants the move, etc. it's just a very logical signing that will turn out to be a bargain in the long-term if we get it done for around 50-55m.

I thought with Martinez being a guaranteed starter, we would be looking for a right sided CB. This signing makes little sense to me, I thought we would be going for a right sided CB and a fullback(preferably LB), since Shaw can cover LCB as well.

We’re unserious club, spanking anything above 30M on this average English defender from EPL would be criminal given our needs in the midfield and on the wings. What has he done to be worth anything above 25M? Does he have some insane statistics to back this valuation? Did he play in some dominant side and excelled playing with high line? Or is it just a matter of being homegrown big young lad who plays in the EPL?

That's just not true. He isn't the finished article but looks to be one of the safest bets for the future and a perfect fit for our team. There aren't many 1,95m tall centre backs who are not only exceptional at the defending aspect (duel winning, aerial dominance, box defending, etc.) but are also technically secure and have shown good qualities in possession and he has pace on top of all these things as well. He's also English, 22, wants the move, etc. it's just a very logical signing that will turn out to be a bargain in the long-term if we get it done for around 50-55m.
I don't think we'll pay that.. certainly not as a guaranteed fee..
If that is what Everton are looking for, we might as well move on.

Wan Bisakka counts as homegrown for us so i presume it transfers. Any player thats played in england for more than 3 years before 21 qualifies. So you get weird outliers like Fabregas and Lukaku but its basically any english or welsh player.

These are not weird nor outliers, not too common but not too rare as well, we have/had plenty of those in the academy, Garnacho will probably be one at the age of 21, I'm not sure if Amad qualifies but he might, we had the likes of Pogba, or Bellerin with Arsenal, and there are British players who do not count in the HG quota like Dier.

I thought with Martinez being a guaranteed starter, we would be looking for a right sided CB. This signing makes little sense to me, I thought we would be going for a right sided CB and a fullback(preferably LB), since Shaw can cover LCB as well.
I think that’s the appeal of Branthwaite as he is two footed and can cover both positions! We’ve played with two right footed players enough through our history (Bruce and Pallister, Stam and Johnson, Rio and Vidic) so not sure why everyone is making a big deal out of two lefties. I think we’ll sign a right footed CB in an addition having said that. It’ll give us far more strength in that department

I understand Man United want to leave behind the era of Woodward overpaying for signings. However I think a medium needs to be struck, as 35m plus 8m in add ons is a nothing bid. Everton will get at least 45-50m selling Amadou Onana. Branthwaite is the player they dont want to sell, whereas Onana would be one they would part with to ease FFP concerns.

Everton's 70m valuation on Branthwaite is not a bluff. They player's contract runs until 2027, so Everton would easily keep for another year before feeling any pressure to sell. Unelss you are prepared to go past 60m, then I dont think Everton will play along.

Its common for the seller to ask for silly money and its common for the buyer to start the dances with a low bid. That usually sets the boundaries between the minimum and the maximum bid. A deal is usually done somewhere in the middle

We’re unserious club, spanking anything above 30M on this average English defender from EPL would be criminal given our needs in the midfield and on the wings. What has he done to be worth anything above 25M? Does he have some insane statistics to back this valuation? Did he play in some dominant side and excelled playing with high line? Or is it just a matter of being homegrown big young lad who plays in the EPL?
Agreed, this 30 million player is worth no more than 25 m, and if we pay 20m we're getting our pants pulled down for a player we shouldn't be paying more than 15m for. He's a 10m player at best, so we should pay 5m.

Fecking Woodturd recked us

Isn't it too late? because we want to sign him before June 30th(in terms of price wise)?

:lol: We should pay a big fee becuase we goofed up on Maguire. Everton can do one. Hope we walk away if they demand a big fee - he’s just 21 and seemingly not universally super highly rated.

Only seen snippets of him but isn't he average technically and a bit slow?
He's young, tall and English though!

I'm hoping that with Sir Jim and Ineos in charge, that the previous decade of United being fleeced and overpaying for players is over.

Initially I was all for Jassim to buy United because we needed investment, but as time went on I changed my mind because one of the biggest problems in football is the stupid amount of money thrown about for mediocre players and god have we overpaid for some of them. Jassim would have just carried on splurging, but Sir Jim won't. He's a billionaire businessman for a reason.

I'm hoping this guy is just one of 3 or 4 we have earmarked and we should just offer what he's worth right now, which is about £40m tops. If Everton don't like it then feck em, let their 'potential talent' realise that his potential isnt going to be reached at Everton.
We're done being fleeced every transfer window. Move on to the next guy we've got lined up, start re-educating other teams that United are now run differently and the days of overpaying are gone.

Last edited:
No. But thats the amount Everton value him at. And since they apparently don't need to sell they can slap whatever ridiculous price tag on him and sell to whoever is stupid enough to match it.

No. But thats the amount Everton value him at. And since they apparently don't need to sell they can slap whatever ridiculous price tag on him and sell to whoever is stupid enough to match it.

Unfortunately that tends to be us.

Branthwaite was bought from Carsyle and they receive 15 percent of any sale. I believe that means he is not homegrown. I'm really not sure how it all works ...

Carlisle Is in England, so is obviously homegrown through birth.
Overseas born players can fall into that category via the ruling, they must have played for an FA-affiliated club for at least three years before turning 21. They do not have to be English, players such as Paul Pogba and William Saliba count as homegrown.

I think that’s the appeal of Branthwaite as he is two footed and can cover both positions! We’ve played with two right footed players enough through our history (Bruce and Pallister, Stam and Johnson, Rio and Vidic) so not sure why everyone is making a big deal out of two lefties. I think we’ll sign a right footed CB in an addition having said that. It’ll give us far more strength in that department

We also need to buy a fullback, couple of midfielders, and a backup striker, and preferably a right wing player as well(optional). Spunking over 80M potentially on 2 CBs, doesnt seem like a wise decision.

In a straight line with some time to build up speed he's fast, on the turn needing a quick short response, slow.

We also need to buy a fullback, couple of midfielders, and a backup striker, and preferably a right wing player as well(optional). Spunking over 80M potentially on 2 CBs, doesnt seem like a wise decision.
We need 2 CBs though, unless we are keeping Maguire + Lindelöf.

Technically secure? What the hell are you watching? He's in the 10th percentile for attempted passes, 15th percentile for completed passes, THIRD percentile for progressive carries. He couldn't be less technically secure if he tried. But I didn't even need those stats to know he is nowhere near "technically secure". Just a simple watch of any of his games or even his highlight videos would have told anyone. His default is to punt the ball upfield at every opportunity. He is the direct opposite of the type of starting centre back a club like Manchester United should be looking for. You'd think we would have learnt the lesson that Lisandro Martinez has taught us about the profile of centre back we should be looking for but nooo, let's dive headfirst into another caveman centreback signing. Could he be a good squad player? Yes, but starting centre back? (which is what he would have to be if we pay anywhere near what Everton are asking for) Not even close.

As I mentioned elsewhere, this is no more than a traditional brute CB who is getting hype for none other than the fact that he is 21 and is physical. £40m is the maximum we should offer. A pence more is an overpay.

This is very similar to the hype Ben Godfrey was getting that season where Norwich got relegated. Media just looks for a young tall english CB somewhere and hypes him to no end and suckers like Manchester United swoop in and overpay.

Last edited:
Watching Football matches are the way to go when assessing a footballer.
Snippets are not the way to go.

He is defensively very good but that's it. Basically the opposite of Leny Yoro.
Todibo seems to be a balanced mix of these two and should be who we go for instead of Branthwaite

Agree, if we could get him on 100k per week that would be fair for his level of experience and position in the squad. If would be a disgrace if he came in on a higher salary than Martinez is currently on.

At 100k per week we could definitely still find a buyer for him in the prem if he underwhelms.
His level of experience is one ok year in the Premier league. Garnacho's new contract with 2 seasons in the Premier league is 50k per week. He should not be more than Garnacho.

Technically secure? What the hell are you watching? He's in the 10th percentile for attempted passes, 15th percentile for completed passes, THIRD percentile for progressive carries. He couldn't be less technically secure if he tried. But I didn't even need those stats to know he is nowhere near "technically secure". Just a simple watch of any of his games or even his highlight videos would have told anyone. His default is to punt the ball upfield at every opportunity. He is the direct opposite of the type of starting centre back a club like Manchester United should be looking for. You'd think we would have learnt the lesson that Lisandro Martinez has taught us about the profile of centre back we should be looking for but nooo, let's dive headfirst into another caveman centreback signing. Could he be a good squad player? Yes, but starting centre back? (which is what he would have to be if we pay anywhere near what Everton are asking for) Not even close.

As I mentioned elsewhere, this is no more than a traditional brute CB who is getting hype for none other than the fact that he is 21 and is physical. £40m is the maximum we should offer. A pence more is an overpay.

This is very similar to the hype Ben Godfrey was getting that season where Norwich got relegated. Media just looks for a young tall english CB somewhere and hypes him to no end and suckers like Manchester United swoop in and overpay.

He plays for Everton, they're not exactly instructed to build out from the back like City or Arsenal do. I've watched him numerous times and he's not a 2 meter tall brute with wooden legs, like you're making him out to be. It's just a stereotype against English players at this point. He can be technically secure despite not being on Martínez's level...almost no one is. Lisandro is the most press-resistant, and one of the best passer centre halves in world football.