Jarrad Branthwaite

I reckon £55m guaranteed with extras taking it to £65m. That would probably be fair. He is integral to their team so £35m wasn’t gonna touch the sides. I do appreciate us not going in high though, which makes a change
Sounds like far too much money to me. I understand they might value him at that, but not sure we should

Would he be better at a side playing with a higher line than Everton? Always thought van Dijk became even better at Liverpool due to their style of football.

Something that I don't think has been brought up regarding Everton's PSR issues is that clubs on the continent can't complete signings until July 1. So not only do Everton need to sell players by the end of the month, but they need to sell domestically, which worsens their bargaining position even more.
Funny. Was trying to think of anyone who might make an offer and best i could come up with was PSG as a kind of wild card move.
I dont think it matters to be honest. Bayern are trying to sell their best CB. Real are turning their nose up at paying 35m for Yoro. Barcelona have to sell and will probably let Araujo go. Everyone else, dortmund etc, will max out where our offer started.
Newcastle, Villa need to sell to buy. Chelsea probably do too and have Colwill. City have Gvardiol amongst others. Dont see the point for Arsenal.
Probably looking at Liverpool as the only realistic alternative. Maybe West Ham at a stretch.

Funny. Was trying to think of anyone who might make an offer and best i could come up with was PSG as a kind of wild card move.
I dont think it matters to be honest. Bayern are trying to sell their best CB. Real are turning their nose up at paying 35m for Yoro. Barcelona have to sell and will probably let Araujo go. Everyone else, dortmund etc, will max out where our offer started.
Newcastle, Villa need to sell to buy. Chelsea probably do too and have Colwill. City have Gvardiol amongst others. Dont see the point for Arsenal.
Probably looking at Liverpool as the only realistic alternative. Maybe West Ham at a stretch.
Right, but I'm not referring specifically to Branthwaite here. My point is that Everton doesn't have the option of meeting their FSR obligations by selling a bunch of their squad players to smaller continental clubs, since those transfers would only be effective in July. The levers they can pull are very limited.

Right, but I'm not referring specifically to Branthwaite here. My point is that Everton doesn't have the option of meeting their FSR obligations by selling a bunch of their squad players to smaller continental clubs, since those transfers would only be effective in July. The levers they can pull are very limited.

Is that true? I'm genuinely asking as I've not heard that before (in regards to having to sell domestically).

I didn't think of that. I'd probably say again that it doesn't matter simply because none of their other players are worth much. Onana at a stretch might be of interest to Bayern but none of the others are good enough to play for teams with any meaningful money.

I can't imagine they would have accepted even if we hadn't paid big money for Maguire
Ye especially considering he’s only 21 and has potential to become world class. A lot of youngsters go for lots of money if they have potential but that’s all you’re paying for. It’s then down to the club to make them world beaters.

Is that true? I'm genuinely asking as I've not heard that before (in regards to having to sell domestically).
That's my understanding of the accounting treatment of transfers as they relate to FFP/PSR. Since the registration periods for most European leagues don't open until July 1, any transfer agreed with clubs from those leagues wouldn't go through until July, and therefore wouldn't hit the books until then.

I didn't think of that. I'd probably say again that it doesn't matter simply because none of their other players are worth much. Onana at a stretch might be of interest to Bayern but none of the others are good enough to play for teams with any meaningful money.
Fair, it's more of a theoretical point then

Fecking Woodturd recked us

Isn't it too late? because we want to sign him before June 30th(in terms of price wise)?

No, it started with van Dijk in 2018. That's the transfer that really raised CB prices. It just doesn't get mentioned because it was an enormous success. It was after that that the likes of De Ligt, Maguire, Fofana, Gvardiol, etc. followed

Similar to how Chelsea basically raised CM prices by paying 100m+ for Fernandez and Caicedo

Hopefully the INEOS boys stick to their guns and don’t take the Woowar approach. Don’t seem like the type of guys to have their pants pulled down.

On a side note, Branthwaite has really nailed down that WWII movie look. Proper vintage army face.
Nazi or Allied?

Fecking Woodturd recked us

Isn't it too late? because we want to sign him before June 30th(in terms of price wise)?

It's totally different people running the show so that is illogical. And that's just one of the reasons it's illogical.

Sounds like far too much money to me. I understand they might value him at that, but not sure we should
I think he’s the best young defensive talent in the premier league. He’s also English which, like it or not, adds an additional value. The Everton fan above likened the situation to Stones and I agree with that. I think it’s a great long term solution for us. We’d have him for 10 years

If it reaches to £50m and still rejected then we should walk away.

£35m is a bit of a lowball offer. £45m-£50m would be a good deal for us, and not terrible for them.

They sold Richarlison for £50m after buying him for the same, so beggars can't be choosers.

£35m is a bit of a lowball offer. £45m-£50m would be a good deal for us, and not terrible for them.

They sold Richarlison for £50m after buying him for the same, so beggars can't be choosers.
It’s a decent starting point (isn’t it 43 inc bonuses?). Hopefully Everton come down and 50 + realistic bonuses gets it done.

It’s a decent starting point (isn’t it 43 inc bonuses?). Hopefully Everton come down and 50 + realistic bonuses gets it done.
I guess the plan is to play him on the right side. Weird how you don't see that often, and the thought of it sounds v awkward, but a right footer from the left is generally fine.

20m + 50m in add-ons. Of which, united to win the champions league 3 times in a row, Erik to wear a toupee and Antony to create 5 goals in 2 consecutive seasons.
50k a week contract on a 8 year deal.
Otherwise, move on.

I guess the plan is to play him on the right side. Weird how you don't see that often, and the thought of it sounds v awkward, but a right footer from the left is generally fine.
I know! It gives me the ick and I don’t know why. :lol:

But he sounds like he’s good in his right foot, also Martinez probably will need to be taken out the team often so he will play both often.

I’d like us to get him plus 1 other RCB.

I know! It gives me the ick and I don’t know why. :lol:

But he sounds like he’s good in his right foot, also Martinez probably will need to be taken out the team often so he will play both often.

I’d like us to get him plus 1 other RCB.
Yeah same!

I think we should look to transition Shaw to LCB permanently because his body is just too broken to go up and down that wing. If we sign a LB, hopefully Malacia can come out of isolation for next season and we'll look OK. One of Maguire or Lindelof sold then I guess.

Ideally I'd also like to see us go all out for Yoro or something, but I think CM needs more focus this window. Move on Maguire and Lindelof / Evans next summer, and we can go again for another CB.

Maguire is 31 and has 1 year (+1 option) remaining on his contract.

Lindelof is turning 30 next month and has 1 year left on his contract.

So United can either buy 2 CB this summer or stagger the recruitment and buy 1 now and 1 next year.

Depends on how slow INEOS want to overhaul the club.

No, it started with van Dijk in 2018. That's the transfer that really raised CB prices. It just doesn't get mentioned because it was an enormous success. It was after that that the likes of De Ligt, Maguire, Fofana, Gvardiol, etc. followed

Similar to how Chelsea basically raised CM prices by paying 100m+ for Fernandez and Caicedo
Agreed, and hopefully, prices will start to depreciate now that the profit and sustainability rules have begun to bite. Though it might take a few transfer windows for clubs to start: 1) Realising they can get more for their money in the EPL than previously. 2) Accepting lower bids.

Of course, we might miss out on Branthwaite in the interim.

Agreed, and hopefully, prices will start to depreciate now that the profit and sustainability rules have begun to bite. Though it might take a few transfer windows for clubs to start: 1) Realising they can get more for their money in the EPL than previously. 2) Accepting lower bids.

I dont know. I think it might be a temporary reprieve driven by covid losses. You could see the floodgates open for the likes of Newcastle, Man City and PSG too. Saudi clubs could have an impact too.

Player spending as a % of revenue hasn't changed that much over the years. Transfer fees and wages have gone up because there's more money in the sport, primarily thanks to inflating TV deals and sponsorships.

Trouble is as rightly pointed out by others the likes of Yoro aren’t guaranteed to go for that fee.

Much better to say max £40m upfront and the rest through reasonable add ons (CL/apps/Title win)

Deal will get done for £55 to £60 million, the blue scousers need to sell and Brainthwaite will eventually force a move.

I’m less concerned about the transfer fee being 40 or 50m guaranteed then I am with us throwing 150k a week at him.

If he fails here, on such wages, we’re likely stuck with him on limited resale value.
He shouldn’t be on more than Martinez, and even that is a stretch.

Agree, if we could get him on 100k per week that would be fair for his level of experience and position in the squad. If would be a disgrace if he came in on a higher salary than Martinez is currently on.

At 100k per week we could definitely still find a buyer for him in the prem if he underwhelms.

Yeah same!

I think we should look to transition Shaw to LCB permanently because his body is just too broken to go up and down that wing. If we sign a LB, hopefully Malacia can come out of isolation for next season and we'll look OK. One of Maguire or Lindelof sold then I guess.

Ideally I'd also like to see us go all out for Yoro or something, but I think CM needs more focus this window. Move on Maguire and Lindelof / Evans next summer, and we can go again for another CB.

I think that Shaw idea makes sense, but ultimately what matters is that we come out of this window with a left-footed defender, a right-footed defender, 2 deeper lying midfielders and a backup striker.

We've seen lots of teams do well with big, fast CBs out wide, or guys like Lisandro playing LB and tucking in, or going 3 at the back (and who knows how long Ten Hag will be here).

I can talk myself into Amad and Rashford competing for a wide spot (or just Hojlund, Bruno and Garnacho starting as a front 3 and Mainoo and wingbacks providing a 2nd wave of attack), another year of Wan-Bissaka at backup RB and the rest, but we definitely need a pair of defenders, a starting DM and a backup for that DM (or a #8 who fits in a pair with Mainoo when that guy is out and a system that makes that work) and someone to rotate with Hojlund.

They’ll give this one until the end of the month - creeping the bid up a couple of times before a final take it or leave of around £50m+ £8m.

Then move on to other targets already highlighted by July if no progress.
And then the Portuguese clubs will know we have over 50mil to spend on a CB and less time to bring a player in so the price increases further.

Totally agree, if he was a £70m CB, then he’d be in the England squad, the fact that Southgate and others in the England management team selected Ghuei, Gomez, Dunk, Quansah on Stand by and Konsa all ahead of him is worrying, I like the players profile but he hasn’t done enough to justify £70m, he’s actually a £45m players plus add ons of £10m maximum.

We could buy De Ligt, Todibo, Ghuei, Tomari even Bastoni for less than £70m and some for £35m

It also won’t do a massive amount to their finances given he’s not homegrown and taking in to account amortisation.

Selling Branthwaite would be huge for them in comparison.
Branthwaite was bought from Carsyle and they receive 15 percent of any sale. I believe that means he is not homegrown. I'm really not sure how it all works ...

Last edited: