Jarrad Branthwaite

Quite telling that we don't seem to have any competition for him, even Chelsea don't seem to be sniffing around.

I agree but the poster asked me to compare Varane at 21 to Branthwaite at 21.

Back to Branthwaite though - he's very good but I think he's still raw and has some holes in his game that wont make him Stones money. I guess £40m+add ons at absolute top ceiling for me.

You are also describing John Stones when he was at Everton.

I am, I felt Stones was more complete. Maybe you know better though..
For me, Stones was positionally smart and didnt panic with going to ground nearly as enough as Branthwaite did. The latter also strikes me as somewhat weaker than I'd like (maybe the Haaland 1 v 1 dominated that view so I wont give it too much weight).

You've seen him more than anyone here so I'll happily hear your views on this. I actually wanted to also ask, did Branthwaite play LB much for Everton? From memory I remember 1 game. If he can naturally slot into the full back roles when needed then I can understand higher fees.

I'm not sure i'd want to buy John Stones to be honest. He got there in the end, with a fair bit of help from brilliant players around him but it took a while and he hasn't been that good. Last season looks a bit of a high point after a lot of meh. John Stones had more experience and people had a better grasp of what he was and wasn't cut out for when he was sold too.

Quite telling that we don't seem to have any competition for him, even Chelsea don't seem to be sniffing around.
FFP. I think selling hotels has solved their problem but i dont think they're that comfortable regardless. And Colwill is probably a better player to be honest.

I am, I felt Stones was more complete. Maybe you know better though..
For me, Stones was positionally smart and didnt panic with going to ground nearly as enough as Branthwaite did. The latter also strikes me as somewhat weaker than I'd like (maybe the Haaland 1 v 1 dominated that view so I wont give it too much weight).

You've seen him more than anyone here so I'll happily hear your views on this. I actually wanted to also ask, did Branthwaite play LB much for Everton? From memory I remember 1 game. If he can naturally slot into the full back roles when needed then I can understand higher fees.

The overwhelming majority of Everton fans believe Branthwaite is better than Stones was at the same respective period in their timeline. I'd agree with them. I think Branthwaite is a much better defender than him but Stones is better on the ball.

I honestly can't remember if he has or not but I'd say no, just play him as a CB, he's great at that. The fee is purely due to us not wanting to sell him, it's what Brighton have been doing for the past few seasons. We don't want to sell but if you want to buy then show us the money. We will see over the next few weeks if United do that or move on and if Everton are desperate for money or not. We are all working on assumptions currently regarding finances.

I wouldn't pay £50m for John Stones now personally, never mind then.
I'm not sure i'd want to buy John Stones to be honest. He got there in the end, with a fair bit of help from brilliant players around him but it took a while and he hasn't been that good. Last season looks a bit of a high point after a lot of meh. John Stones had more experience and people had a better grasp of what he was and wasn't cut out for when he was sold too.

FFP. I think selling hotels has solved their problem but i dont think they're that comfortable regardless. And Colwill is probably a better player to be honest.

Bit silly. Stones has been an excellent purchase for City, just unfortunate with injuries. Branthwaite on the other hand has shown to be very robust.

He could easily be the next John Terry or the next Phil Jones. No one knows. However seeing as we've made him the No1 target above the other CBs we are linked with. I presume alot of due diligence has been done and the club are convinced about the lad and his potential. They could still get it all wrong.

Chelsea have Badiashile and Colwill. Liverpool is unlikely to go for a Everton-player. City have Gvardiol and Ake. Newcastle have Burn and Botman and other issues. Maybe Arsenal could have considered him? But it would be surprising if they went for a £50 mill CB with Gabriel, Saliba, Timber and White.

And I honestly think few other clubs would spend that type of amount or go head to head with Man Utd..

The overwhelming majority of Everton fans believe Branthwaite is better than Stones was at the same respective period in their timeline. I'd agree with them. I think Branthwaite is a much better defender than him but Stones is better on the ball.

I honestly can't remember if he has or not but I'd say no, just play him as a CB, he's great at that. The fee is purely due to us not wanting to sell him, it's what Brighton have been doing for the past few seasons. We don't want to sell but if you want to buy then show us the money. We will see over the next few weeks if United do that or move on and if Everton are desperate for money or not. We are all working on assumptions currently regarding finances.

Bit silly. Stones has been an excellent purchase for City, just unfortunate with injuries. Branthwaite on the other hand has shown to be very robust.
Yeah i didn't expect anyone to agree with me so im just glad one person does. Its more of a fit and style thing for me i think. Theres definitely been players I'm jealous of missing out on over the years. Robben, Modric, Silva - both of them. Stones isn't one of them and playing for the competition such as it is makes me a bit biased against him probably.
And trying to remember how much 50m was worth a million years ago is hard.

The go to lazy thing to say when you merely make an observation that isn't popular nowadays.
So are we basing the quality of player based on the amount of rival clubs also vying for his signature? Of which we'd also complain that we don't stand a chance against if they were to challenge us head to head for a player, because why would they join a fledging club who has no UCL?

Yes but he'd cost the same as what Everton are quoting for Branthwaite. Palace don't have to sell either to balance their books.

Im just considering how much is being quoted for Olise

So are we basing the quality of player based on the amount of rival clubs also vying for his signature? Of which we'd also complain that we don't stand a chance against if they were to challenge us head to head for a player, because why would they join a fledging club who has no UCL?

Finding it a bit odd that we are having a free run at a young English player, who Everton value at £70 million, but are under pressure to sell by the end of the month, so will likely have to sell for alot less? It's surely not that odd to ask the question, and it's certainly not moaning.

Maybe I've missed that Braithwaite has said us or no one, or other clubs interest?

Genuine answer, because Gareth Southgate doesn't think he's good enough a player this month.
Im not English but I think theres two reasons for this:

1. Southgate would view players at only their current ability, whilst we would be looking at his potential. The player he is in a year from now means nothing to this Euros, and so looks like Southgate has picked on potential.

2. Southgate has shown to be totally incompetent many times.

He could easily be the next John Terry or the next Phil Jones. No one knows. However seeing as we've made him the No1 target above the other CBs we are linked with. I presume alot of due diligence has been done and the club are convinced about the lad and his potential. They could still get it all wrong.
I hope not.

Finding it a bit odd that we are having a free run at a young English player, who Everton value at £70 million, but are under pressure to sell by the end of the month, so will likely have to sell for alot less? It's surely not that odd to ask the question, and it's certainly not moaning.

Maybe I've missed that Braithwaite has said us or no one, or other clubs interest?
I think its because most big clubs don't have such a pressing need, please there are many good centre back talents at the moment.

Branthwaite
Antonio Silva
Leny Yoro

These are the three talents I can see moving this year. Then you've got the likes of Diomande and Lukeba that will probably be available next year.

Looking at the clubs who can sign the top talents:
City have Gvordiol, Stones, Dias, Akanji, Ake
Arsenal have Saliba, Gabriel, White
Chelsea have Colwil, Badiashile, Fofana, Disasi, Tosin
Liverpool have Van Dijk, Konate, Quansah, Gomez

And on the continent you have Madrid who want Yoro, Barca are flush for cash, Bayern who need to sell De Ligt first.

It is why we have no competition. The talents I like the most are Branthwaite and Lukeba.

Just because we made mistake in spending £80m on Maguire and the others doesn’t mean we should keep making the same mistake.

I don’t think we are being disrespectful just because we don’t want to make the same mistake as what we did with Maguire.

Maguire was a regular England CB. Branthwaite is currently not a regular England CB and he couldn’t even make it to the squad despite of Maguire being out injured so it’s only fair the price should be far below £80m right now.

I think if we are going to make offer again, I would go with £50m max which I think it’s a fair value for both clubs and if it’s rejected then we can move on because the likes of Inacio is available for £50m release clause and there was link that de ligt is valued for around £43m. Even Todibo might be far cheaper.

Lot of centre backs in the market right now are available for not more than £50m so we have the right not to pay more than £50m on Branthwaite and best of luck for Everton even if the news about they must sell some players before 30th June to avoid points deduction end up being legit, I’m sure they would still be happy keeping Branthwaite.

Everything about this seems like a mistake to me.

Targeting the best youngsters who have already shown they can play in the premier league is sound.
Whether we pay too much or they don't fulfil their promise is the issue.

And the latter is never a certainty, unless you get a very obvious worldly like Rooney

"Why the signing would make sense for #MUFC"

Above that..

"But could blow their transfer budget"

So, it doesn't make sense?

Targeting the best youngsters who have already shown they can play in the premier league is sound.
Whether we pay too much or they don't fulfil their promise is the issue.

And the latter is never a certainty, unless you get a very obvious worldly like Rooney

We seem to always get the Schneiderlins and Wan-Bissakas when we do this.

Just start negotiation with other targets, if the other clubs want to be do business then we just move on. Everton can keep their 70 million rated defender and hope the club doesn't go bankrupt. 70 million is a ridiculous number for a 21 yo defender who just completed 1 season in the EPL.

Refreshing change if we actually walk away unless they come down with their valuation. Normally we would waste the rest of the summer and then end up paying the asking price anyway.