Jarrad Branthwaite

I’m less concerned about the transfer fee being 40 or 50m guaranteed then I am with us throwing 150k a week at him.

If he fails here, on such wages, we’re likely stuck with him on limited resale value.
He shouldn’t be on more than Martinez, and even that is a stretch.

Reactions: Fortitude
40m + add-ons I think would be a very good deal especially considering what he’s valued at by Everton, I just dont think it’s very likely
Possibly not but once they stop dancing around swinging their dicks, we will see what price comes out. Pretty sure that’s why we are seeing links to DeLigt to threaten that there is other options

Big test for our new board. In the past we'd have paid 80 million. No way he's anywhere near that value. 50 max and even that is probably more than his ability at this stage is worth.if they don't entertain that, then move on.

The size of any transfer basically puts a wall in front of the player which they have to get over.

Putting a huge 70 million sized wall in front of Branthwaite will make it almost impossible for him to be a success at United.

I would struggle to tell you want United paid for Martinez, Bruno, Dalot...but every single fans knows how much Maguire. AWB and Antony cost.

I’m less concerned about the transfer fee being 40 or 50m guaranteed then I am with us throwing 150k a week at him.

If he fails here, on such wages, we’re likely stuck with him on limited resale value.
Got to keep in mind that whenever papers quote wages it’s at their maximum value,If they say it’s 150k it’s probably more like 90-100k but can reach 150k if clauses are activated.

Had gone off the idea of him mainly because I figured it would cost 70-80 mil when there are just as good possibly better out there for a lot less but if a deal can be done for around 50 mil would be a good bit of buisness. Helps as well that being British there won’t be that culture shock that some of the others from the continent might have. Still think we would need another CB to go along with him.

Also got ragdolled by Haaland for his goal against them at the Etihad. If anybody pays above £50m for this guy they are getting mugged.

That can happen to any defender. Even Vidic was 'ragdolled' by Torres a few times.

I dont think one or two bad moments should define how good or bad a player is. Wasnt he actually really good in that game against City and just got done by Haaland just before the end of the game? It happens to any player once or twice.

50m-60m max. Else we should move for other targets

Basically the foreigners are the level we should be aiming for, the Englishmen should be the backups if we can't get the foreigners.

Go home, you're drunk.

Bellingham - generational talent. Won player of the year whilst being Madrid's best player at age 20.
Rice - in top 3 DM's in the world.
Kane - best number 9 in world football.
Foden - One of the best attacking mids in the world, City's current star player.
Mainoo - already a mainstay in the united team and walked in to the england squad in half a season. Potential generational talent.
Saka - One of the best RW's in the prem.
Palmer - just finished his first season in the prem with 22 goals and 11 asists in 33 games. Potential generational talent.

That's before we even get to Eze, Wharton, Stones, White, Trent, trippier, Watkins, James, walker etc etc

But yea englishmen should be backups to the "foreigners".

I dont see this ending well for Everton tbh. I dont think they'll get good offers before june 30th, it'll just be lowball offers.
I'd be a bit surprised if they got an offer for Onana at all. Dont think he'll be high on anyone's transfer list and cant imagine arsenal ruling out 3+ alternatives in the next 2 weeks. I think if they get any kind of offer they'll be doing well to hit 30m. 50 just wont happen, think they'd be quite lucky to get an offer like that in august, definitely wont happen before.
I doubt we'll break 50m for Branthwaite before June 30th and think that offer would involve a fair chunk of add ons. I think they could stretch us out to 60m but not until we've ruled out a couple of alternative signings and it'll probably drag into august before they see that kind of offer. At which point we might have just spent our budget elsewhere and not have 60m to offer.

It's more than reasonable with 8m more in add-ons. It should not go anywhere beyond 50, and that too because of the English tax. 40m guaranteed plus 5m-8m in add-ons is where I expect it to close. Otherwise we should move to other targets.
Their counterpoint will be that John Stones went for £50m 8 years ago and the market has only gone up since then, we also bought Maguire 5 years ago for £80m, whose CV were limited to Hull and Leicester.

We can try to squeeze them of course but I suspect they will try to hold out by selling Onana first. Sporting ambition aside, he’s probably their most valuable asset, so unless they are super desperate, it doesn’t make sense to let him go under his market value.

I’m not fully sold on him tbh, the physical profile is right but he’s still very raw, however we might have to overpay a bit anyway because with Greenwood and Sancho going + Maguire contract running out/leaving, we might be short on hg players.

What we are doing is making our interest public. The player is going to become unhappy if Everton don’t eventually lower their fee to a realistic price or we end up going for someone else. He’s going to double his wages and commercial value by coming here. Everyone knows this. Everton know we are the only show in town once the player has his head turned. As I said before I think we get this done for around 50 plus achievable add-ons and it’s a grand deal for everyone. He may pan out as just a squad player and for that money it’s actually fine. He’s versatile and a really good age.

From the way Ornstein has phrased it it sounds like it's clming from either Everton or the players agent.

Just because they make an offer doesn't mean they are going all out. A verbal offer is a verbal offer.

If I'm buying a new TV i identify the four or five models I'm interested in and then see which one i can get the best deal on.

We're looking for a quality centre back with a 30% promo sticker on him.

The last thing we want is competition for places. Martinez has looked decent in the 25% of games he's been available for in the last two seasons, even if he watched seven go in at Anfield, six at Maine Road and four at Brentford. To be fair to him, his center back partner had only won five Champions League titles, so he never really stood a chance. He's totally untouchable and United should only look at players who strongly favour their right foot, because it's a fundamental belief of a manager who delivered our worst-ever Premier League finish and who absolutely isn't skating on ice.

I understand your frustration but…

We literally don’t have a RCB who can play a high line

He is two footed, can play either side.

I don’t like this saying

Honestly can’t think if I’ve ever seen a truly two-footed passer. Xavi wasn’t two-footed. Kroos isn’t two-footed. Bruno definitely isn’t two-footed. You’re always a worse passer on one or the other, and we want someone who can play through the lines (not just swing it around the back) on their right foot specifically

Seems weird that the first CB they'd bid for, was a player challenging our only decent CB in Martinez. I'd think they'd go for a right sided center back first.
I agree, the RCB position should take priority. However, apparently he's actually naturally right footed but his left is so good he can do either, and we're looking at him for the right side. If that's the case I wouldn't disagree with the signing.

Go home, you're drunk.

Bellingham - generational talent. Won player of the year whilst being Madrid's best player at age 20.
Rice - in top 3 DM's in the world.
Kane - best number 9 in world football.
Foden - One of the best attacking mids in the world, City's current star player.
Mainoo - already a mainstay in the united team and walked in to the england squad in half a season. Potential generational talent.
Saka - One of the best RW's in the prem.
Palmer - just finished his first season in the prem with 22 goals and 11 asists in 33 games. Potential generational talent.

That's before we even get to Eze, Wharton, Stones, White, Trent, trippier, Watkins, James, walker etc etc

But yea englishmen should be backups to the "foreigners".
I don't disagree, but I feel like the issue is the inflated valuation attached to those players. I'm not sure if that's what OP was hinting at, but it feels like we can get much better value for money for players of similar ability (or perhaps better), without getting shafted by the English tax. Branthwaite is clearly a big talent, but it remains to be seen as to whether he's a generational one, or one that warrants anything north of £50-60million after a good debut season. The point is we can grab two players of potentially similar ability overseas if we shop around. And considering the financial constraints we're up against, it is worth considering whether going big on English talents is sensible.

I don't disagree, but I feel like the issue is the inflated valuation attached to those players. I'm not sure if that's what OP was hinting at, but it feels like we can get much better value for money for players of similar ability (or perhaps better), without getting shafted by the English tax. Branthwaite is clearly a big talent, but it remains to be seen as to whether he's a generational one, or one that warrants anything north of £50-60million after a good debut season. The point is we can grab two players of potentially similar ability overseas if we shop around. And considering the financial constraints we're up against, it is worth considering whether going big on English talents is sensible.

I get what you're saying, but there's advantages that automatically come with the English players too. Being happy to live here (with their whole family nearby) for one, can certainly translate into a happier player, better performances and easier retention.

There's some transfer value attached to things that aren't football related. Leaving aside Homegrown rules, theres marketing and how the press, referee's and pundits react to the player.
Its a good way to pick up supporters too to be fair. Only people who are already interested in the Premier League are watching it - theres too many obstacles to entry. World Cups and European Cups are how a lot of people are going to be introduced to the sport. Seeing that Roy Keane and Denis Irwin are playing for the same team and McGrath used to play for them was my start point.

I get what you're saying, but there's advantages that automatically come with the English players too. Being happy to live here with their whole family for one, can certainly translate into a happier player, better performances and easier retention.
Another good example

Can he play left back?
Might not be a bad spot for him as an ivanovich type full back? Probably not the best use for him but he could do a job. Martinez probably could too maybe swap them around depending on opposition. I'd probably think of it more as injury cover than something i'd want to build around.

This....why does he deserve 150 a week?

His he fast? Would he allow us to play an high line next to Martinez?

Can see someone’s already tweaked his Wiki with number 32 for us.

Fecking Woodturd recked us

Apparently Berrada will be the one closing this deal when he starts his role on 13th of July

Isn't it too late? because we want to sign him before June 30th(in terms of price wise)?

Last edited:
Fantastic logic from the brain boxes at Goodison.

He has taken the words from other articles and misquoted them to make them sound worse.
I don't actually think a right minded person at Everton would ever say/think that if they were negotiating with United. It's a classic twitter fan opinion.

I reckon £55m guaranteed with extras taking it to £65m. That would probably be fair. He is integral to their team so £35m wasn’t gonna touch the sides. I do appreciate us not going in high though, which makes a change

Hopefully the INEOS boys stick to their guns and don’t take the Woowar approach. Don’t seem like the type of guys to have their pants pulled down.

On a side note, Branthwaite has really nailed down that WWII movie look. Proper vintage army face.

Something that I don't think has been brought up regarding Everton's PSR issues is that clubs on the continent can't complete signings until July 1. So not only do Everton need to sell players by the end of the month, but they need to sell domestically, which worsens their bargaining position even more.