Jarrad Branthwaite

Repeating the same mistake would be bringing in De Ligt who looks to be a big name on the market.

Branthwaite is big, fast, two footed and a proactive defender.

I can’t work out why people think he is slow, or sluggish. He is nothing like Maguire, he defends on the front foot, Maguire is awful in that manner.

Some of the other names that get thrown up there like Diomande are currently far inferior defenders to Branthwaite.

some people just automatically want to rope at the idea of signing an English player

I don't get it either, he looks like a great prospect to me

The gremlin rival fans getting upset united are negotiating are hilarious.

They will both meet in the middle and compromise and everyone goes home happy. Not sure why United aren’t allowed to negotiate? United really did a number on a lotttt of people’s childhoods.
There is one Arsenal fan, he is so upset with our offer. Hah

I wouldnt be surprised if we're trying to put pressure on Sporting to lower the fee for Inacio whilst bidding for Branthwaite. Basically take the one we can agree a reasonable fee for.

I wouldnt be surprised if we're trying to put pressure on Sporting to lower the fee for Inacio whilst bidding for Branthwaite. Basically take the one we can agree a reasonable fee for.

Would show we have alternative targets and won't be bullied by Everton to pay silly money

35 million? Cold blooded!

trying to turn the players head and also Everton have to sell. This is Ashworth part 2 but it won’t work fast enough for the average punter. It sets a fairly solid precedent though. In both cases we will get the person cheaper than paper talk. It might take a year but it’ll happen sooner or later. It’s not slick but it will work. We can grind it out once we know they want us

Repeating the same mistake would be bringing in De Ligt who looks to be a big name on the market.

I can’t work out why people think he is slow, or sluggish. He is nothing like Maguire, he defends on the front foot, Maguire is awful in that manner.

Some of the other names that get thrown up there like Diomande are currently far inferior defenders to Branthwaite.

Actually Maguire is pretty decent defending on the front foot when close to an attacker. His issue is getting caught in open space and general indecision/mistakes with the ball.

Your description fits Lindelof, who is a back peddling merchant.

Yoro and de Ligt are the level of transfer we should be aiming for, with Guehi and Branthwaite the backups if we can't get them.
Basically the foreigners are the level we should be aiming for, the Englishmen should be the backups if we can't get the foreigners.

Is it just me, or has the British media decided that United will pursue a British core, and all successful players from other teams are "on the list"? Toney, Branthwaite, etc.

That, combined with players from Nice and other teams in the French league, is all because of the "knowledge" gained from years as owners of Nice.

So, first, it was Ten Hag's players for two years, and now it's Ineos's players.

I feel so sorry for the scouting department at United if the media's views are correct.

My view on Branthwaite is that he is just an average British defender with potential. I do think that our own Kambwala is at the same level.
I love our Willy but he isn’t close to being as good as Branthwaite. Branthwaite would easily be our second best defender today, while Willy is closer to being our 4-5th

Wow we really sped past the considering, monitoring, looking at, and preparing a bid phases. Nice to see.

I like that we’re trying not to pay over the odds as well and he’s a good player from what I’ve seen and the right profile.

That makes a lot more sense if Everton didn’t have a pressure to make some profit by June 30th.
Tik tok mf…
Is this confirmed though? And how much they need? If it is around 40m, they need to sell a bigger name not just some random player. Looks like we have time on our side for once

Last edited:
Don’t see this being completed for less than £50m rising to £60m including add ons. All depends on Onana and whether or not he’s sold then Everton will be less inclined to sell him. Coupled with the new owners arriving, new stadium it could be more appealing to stick around a season or two and see how they fair in the future.

Hoping the De Ligt links are just part of pressuring Everton here - he’d be a big mistake

New owners coming in - never before the end of June…..think they’ve just offered exclusivity to one buyer but that will take time.

Id imagine that Everton are very coy over what they need by end of June as they will try and get as much as they can.

Branthwaite is a much bigger PSR deal for them than Onana…..

Also - Onana away at Euros, Branthwaite at home and available.

We will really see if there is any difference in the way Ineos handle this situation. Its not like we didn’t expect them to reject our initial offers.

Suspect this won’t get done and we will look elsewhere. Which is fine! INEOS will learn quickly how overpriced young English players are and hopefully put more effort into finding gems before they end up at other premier league clubs.

Suspect this won’t get done and we will look elsewhere. Which is fine! INEOS will learn quickly how overpriced young English players are and hopefully put more effort into finding gems before they end up at other premier league clubs.

It’s important that we have a strong English/British core. It’s not an issue to overpay, it’s an issue when you don’t have the funds to do it.

If the squad was set up to purchase a Declan Rice for one summer. It’s important we do it.

I still think we will try our hardest to get Branthwaite done. He’ll be a key player for the future team.

35 million? Cold blooded!

trying to turn the players head and also Everton have to sell. This is Ashworth part 2 but it won’t work fast enough for the average punter. It sets a fairly solid precedent though. In both cases we will get the person cheaper than paper talk. It might take a year but it’ll happen sooner or later. It’s not slick but it will work. We can grind it out once we know they want us
But you could easily say its like many of our transfer sagas during the days of Woodward start with a low bid that won't be accepted and work your way up to something way over the odds by the end of the window. Hopefully we will walk away quickly if we can't get it done for a reasonable fee

New owners coming in - never before the end of June…..think they’ve just offered exclusivity to one buyer but that will take time.

Id imagine that Everton are very coy over what they need by end of June as they will try and get as much as they can.

Branthwaite is a much bigger PSR deal for them than Onana…..

Also - Onana away at Euros, Branthwaite at home and available.

We will really see if there is any difference in the way Ineos handle this situation. Its not like we didn’t expect them to reject our initial offers.
I would say that all clubs would know exactly what other clubs owe in terms of PSR rules. They will have someone employed to delve into these things as it provides valuable information to the club for buying players on the cheap.

Partly agree with a lot of what you are saying. I like Braithwaite and find it bizarre Southgate didnt give him chances with Maguires inactivity....and feelwillcome to haunt him in the Euros.

Van Nistelrooy as a example andany other coaches worked with him seem to rave about him and Everton fans I know go to games have said he is the only dead certthey have seen since Rooney to reach top, personally havent seen that myself but definately seems under rated.

I disagree he is currently a far better defender than others in Europe....Yes Yoro is raw, Diomande isnt the finished produt yet, neither is Braithwaite and I do think some others have higher ceilings.

The biggest thing for me though....injury problemsor not we have afantastic lcb in Martinez, fantastic coverin Shaw, Malacia and Amass coming through as lb options....Braithwaite is lcb.....what do we haveonthe right....possibly only Kambwalla by the endof the window and avastlyover rated forbeing decent Dalot at rb.

That is why personally I prefer likesof Diomande....lcb, weshouldhave signed Lukeba for £30m last summer

Partly agree with a lot of what you are saying. I like Braithwaite and find it bizarre Southgate didnt give him chances with Maguires inactivity....and feelwillcome to haunt him in the Euros.

Van Nistelrooy as a example andany other coaches worked with him seem to rave about him and Everton fans I know go to games have said he is the only dead certthey have seen since Rooney to reach top, personally havent seen that myself but definately seems under rated.

I disagree he is currently a far better defender than others in Europe....Yes Yoro is raw, Diomande isnt the finished produt yet, neither is Braithwaite and I do think some others have higher ceilings.

The biggest thing for me though....injury problemsor not we have afantastic lcb in Martinez, fantastic coverin Shaw, Malacia and Amass coming through as lb options....Braithwaite is lcb.....what do we haveonthe right....possibly only Kambwalla by the endof the window and avastlyover rated forbeing decent Dalot at rb.

That is why personally I prefer likesof Diomande....lcb, weshouldhave signed Lukeba for £30m last summer
Your space button broken?

I love our Willy but he isn’t close to being as good as Branthwaite. Branthwaite would easily be our second best defender today, while Willy is closer to being our 4-5th

Okey - sounds fair. I only saw him against us this season. We won 2-0 and 3-0 and he was rather mediocre.

Guess that isn’t enough to make an assessment :)

Okey - sounds fair. I only saw him against us this season. We won 2-0 and 3-0 and he was rather mediocre.

And the game where Chelsea smashed them and he got bullied of Jackson.

My guess is Utd can't agree a fee with Everton. Brathwaite, just like Olise last summer, will renew his contract with Everton, and Utd then buy de Ligt from Bayern.
Everton need to sell though by the June 30th deadline . Just like Villa selling Luiz

Never signed up to a rival forum before out of respect but reading some of the brain dead takes on Twitter and bashing my head against a wall talking to someone called ‘Anthonysleftthigh’, I’m here to give my 2 cents instead.

The minimum asking price is genuine market value. Fofana, Chilwell, Maguire all went for circa £70/80 million - you don’t get to complain about market rates when you directly contributed to skewing it. If anything, £60 million is slightly under value considering the profile of the player. If Southgate wasn’t a colossal -insert horrific insult of your choice here-, then he’d be with the England squad right now.

He is one of Everton’s most valuable assets and utterly integral to the defence. Was instrumental in keeping us up. He is also a major asset for any prospective owner and could affect those negotiations. Selling him could legitimately have an adverse effect on new owners bidding if the squad is seen to be being stripped. Also the financial situation isn’t as bad as being made out by the media desperate to hound middle clubs (and ignore the bigger ones). If anything, we’re preparing to sell Onana for a price that will comfortably cover us for this season. There is no desperation to sell Branthwaite.

To the ‘never watched him play a game in my life’ crew who are suddenly experts after the highlight videos (not a criticism, we do it plenty in our forum too), I cannot overstate how good this guy is. He clears how good Stones was at his age, and he went for £50mil before the market went bonkers. None of it makes it to the highlight videos but he can very much carry the ball into midfield when given license to, he’s not an exclusively ‘backs to the wall defender’. Genuinely left footed and a physical freak. Exceptional injury record too, can’t remember last game he missed that was a 10 card suspension. You’re getting your starting defender for the next 10 years here and ripping out one of the major pieces of our team, just remember that when it comes to the ‘ridiculous’ valuation.

I’m sure there are excellent alternatives that may end up being better or cheaper, but that’s for your scouting department to figure out. I can only wish them the best of luck as it’s one of the hardest jobs in football.

Anyway, that’s one of my 3 posts a day so sadly can’t engage with arguments with anyone. Am here purely with the intent to give a different perspective. On a very unrelated note, I was thrilled to see Mainoo called up to the England squad.

Great stuff, you missed out the part about allegedly having to sell, which means it’s a constrained market and all normal bets regarding his price and value are off (if selling need is correct).

How many times do you see things sold cheap because the owner has a need for money. If the press are correct it is likely the same here, especially if there is only one bidder and nobody is interested in any of your other players.

Yea don’t understand this at all

The last thing we want is competition for places. Martinez has looked decent in the 25% of games he's been available for in the last two seasons, even if he watched seven go in at Anfield, six at Maine Road and four at Brentford. To be fair to him, his center back partner had only won five Champions League titles, so he never really stood a chance. He's totally untouchable and United should only look at players who strongly favour their right foot, because it's a fundamental belief of a manager who delivered our worst-ever Premier League finish and who absolutely isn't skating on ice.

They’ll give this one until the end of the month - creeping the bid up a couple of times before a final take it or leave of around £50m+ £8m.

Then move on to other targets already highlighted by July if no progress.

Also got ragdolled by Haaland for his goal against them at the Etihad. If anybody pays above £50m for this guy they are getting mugged.

An opening bid of £35m is very reasonable. If Everton really want to do business then I feel confident that we can strike a deal around £50m.

Basically the foreigners are the level we should be aiming for, the Englishmen should be the backups if we can't get the foreigners.

Would you be upset if we switched the word ‘Englishmen’ for ‘Nigerians’.

It should be based on their quality, not nationality.

An opening bid of £35m is very reasonable. If Everton really want to do business then I feel confident that we can strike a deal around £50m.

It's more than reasonable with 8m more in add-ons. It should not go anywhere beyond 50, and that too because of the English tax. 40m guaranteed plus 5m-8m in add-ons is where I expect it to close. Otherwise we should move to other targets.

Its just a lazy comparison because he's big and English.

Im hoping Everton really put their foot down over their 70m as I really think theres better players out there, even if we were to get him for 50m

We did the same with Mount last season and started bidding low in the hopes of getting a good deal and still ended up overpaying on fees and wages.

It’s going to take a lot longer for us for selling clubs to see us differently. We will need to show we are prepared to leave negotiations and target other players the way City do. The difference is City can afford to do that because they have a great squad.