Jarrad Branthwaite

If he goes to Liverpool, will this be right up there with Sol Campbell going from Spurs to Arsenal?

We dont need a fourth choice CB for 70M.

It would be really funny to see the meltdown from Everton fans when he moves to Liverpool though

If he goes to Liverpool, will this be right up there with Sol Campbell going from Spurs to Arsenal?
Campbell moved on a free with Spurs having no say. I'm not sure if that would make it better or worse.

In any case it surely can't happen right? Everton wouldn't budge on their valuation for us and Branthwaite didn't kick up a fuss. They'll have a special valuation for Liverpool (something like 140 million in the currency of feck off) and I wouldn't expect a fuss to be made there either.

In a squad that needs upgrades in a few areas, we've bought 2 very good CBs and one of the guys they've been bought to replace in the starting lineup has had a monster of a performance last game round and has played relatively well over the course of last season. The way I see it, even in the very unlikely scenario that we're still interested in getting this guy, we won't be overpaying.

We have four quality CBs to cover 2 positions. It would be crazy to add another one for 70m. That too an overpriced one.

They'll be telling on themselves if they sell to the dippers of all clubs for anything less than they demanded from us. If anything it should be more

Be shocked if it happens mind

We’ve got Martinez, De Ligt, Yoro and a much improved Maguire. Don’t see any reason to sign this fellow.

We’ve got Martinez, De Ligt, Yoro and a much improved Maguire. Don’t see any reason to sign this fellow.
We maybe have to replace Maguire next year. Shaw may remain an issue availability wise. Homegrown player I'm pretty sure.

It does make some sense as a profile though it's fairly inconvenient if we had to transfer him now.

Left footed LCB to play in Martinez's stead? Maguire and Evans probably leaving next season? Versatile defender? Homegrown?

I think there's plenty of reasons to sign him, I just don't think it happens for the money they want.

Left footed LCB to play in Martinez's stead? Maguire and Evans probably leaving next season? Versatile defender? Homegrown?

I think there's plenty of reasons to sign him, I just don't think it happens for the money they want.
Have you seen the state of our midfield? Or the lack of goals in the team?

I think we've dodged one here. Previous management would've been held to ransom and ended up splashing 80 million on deadline day. He's not better than De Ligt or even Maguire and Yoro looks to have a higher ceiling.

Have you seen the state of our midfield? Or the lack of goals in the team?

Strengthen one area at a time, if we do sign him don’t need to worry about defensive area for some years.

Next summer will be key replacing Casemiro and Eriksen

Strengthen one area at a time, if we do sign him don’t need to worry about defensive area for some years.

That is stupid. Midfield is the most important part of any team. You can have a world class defence, but if your midfield is paper thin, you will keep conceding goals. Also, to go buy a 70M 4th choice CB, is absolutely braindead.

I think we've dodged one here. Previous management would've been held to ransom and ended up splashing 80 million on deadline day. He's not better than De Ligt or even Maguire and Yoro looks to have a higher ceiling.
This is the biggest take away from the summer so far.

Yes it’s been brilliant we’ve brought in the 4 players we have.

But you’re absolute right. Previously we would have spent all summer with no negotiation tactic and just slowly increased our offers. 55, 60, 70, 75…until deadline day and bosh ‘Utd sign Branthwaite for 80m’ and the football world is laughing at us

Everton can fook off. Ideally we get him next year for similar numbers we’ve bid this time around…but if he ends up moving this summer it’s be funny if he lands at Liverpool for 80m.. they’d have no time to spend their money and currently look like a terrible outfit

But you’re absolute right. Previously we would have spent all summer with no negotiation tactic and just slowly increased our offers. 55, 60, 70, 75…until deadline day and bosh ‘Utd sign Branthwaite for 80m’ and the football world is laughing at us

Everton can fook off. Ideally we get him next year for similar numbers we’ve bid this time around…but if he ends up moving this summer it’s be funny if he lands at Liverpool for 80m.. they’d have no time to spend their money and currently look like a terrible outfit
I think they're fans would go crazy, it'd be like Rooney all over again but worse because it's Liverpool

Doesn’t make any sense. Building a squad is always an ongoing process. You don’t overload one area - and LB is a bigger weakness than 4th CB in defence - when you’ve got so many areas to improve on.

Doesn’t make any sense. Building a squad is always an ongoing process. You don’t overload one area - and LB is a bigger weakness than 4th CB in defence - when you’ve got so many areas to improve on.

Well apparently he can play LB... That is a good compromise to have a CB/LB because he can fill in at the post but he's not outright replacing Shaw.

Not an argument to try to sign him this window or anything. But on paper he ticks a lot of the boxes.

Well apparently he can play LB... That is a good compromise to have a CB/LB because he can fill in at the post but he's not outright replacing Shaw.

Not an argument to try to sign him this window or anything. But on paper he ticks a lot of the boxes.
We need to replace Shaw who is utterly unreliable with a proper starting LB. And Braithwait and Yoro aren’t or haven’t respectively come here to be 4th choice CB.

I’d focus on the below before such indulgences
- DM
- CM
- Eventual Bruno replacement
- starting winger
- starting LB
- possibly Onana replacement

I wouldn't be hugely surprised if we did go in for Branthwaite if Everton are willing to do a more sensible fee.

That is stupid. Midfield is the most important part of any team. You can have a world class defence, but if your midfield is paper thin, you will keep conceding goals. Also, to go buy a 70M 4th choice CB, is absolutely braindead.

Also gives the manager to potentially try new systems in key games going three at the back.

I really don’t think our midfield is as bad as the majority on here make out. If Mctominay departs then yes we would need someone this window but for me getting the defence sorted was key.

Also gives the manager to potentially try new systems in key games going three at the back.

I really don’t think our midfield is as bad as the majority on here make out. If Mctominay departs then yes we would need someone this window but for me getting the defence sorted was key.
Literally our biggest problem last season by far.

I actually hope we don't sign him at all even if it was in the 40m region. Just don't think his technical ability is up to it. Wouldn't be getting the hype if he wasn't English.

When did an Everton player last move to Liverpool? Genuine question!

We have the CBs we need even if Lindelof goes, why is this thread still alive?
I don't know why this thread is alive because Everton won't sell Branthwaite to us for the price we could pay if we got money for Lindelof, and with Lindelof injured/not selling we have $0 for him. So there is realistically zero chance us buying him this Summer

But if we could buy him, the reason it would make a lot of sense is - Branthwaite is left-footed CB which we only have injury-suspect Licha like, AND Branthwaite can allegedly also play left back, which we have only scraps for

Branthwaite's left foot and ability to play in two positions is his main attraction for Erik

Lads he's supposed to be the LB/CB cover for us. A bit like Ake and van de Ven for their respective clubs and NT. If anything the club showed foresight in targeting him early in the season. Wouldn't be surprised that a Dutch like Slot is also interested in him. £40-50M for a promising player who can play 2 positions and supposedly fits our system would have been a fair price from the club's perspective, I reckon.

Although like others, I have question marks over his technical ability since our LB is often enough expected to play a pivotal role in the 1st phase build up by tucking between the CBs.