Jarrad Branthwaite

Nah this is dead. We need to prioritize midfield & attack now. Unless both Maguire & Lindelof leave I can't see us spending 50 + m on him

Makes sense to sign him this summer then fully focus on the midfield next summer

I don't see how he fits unless we really are planning to use Martinez as an inverted left-back which would be a mistake in my opinion.

I’d want him even at 60m but would be overkill for this summer. Let’s get him next summer.

I can’t understand why people want this? We aren’t chelsea do we need to have 4 centre backs competing for two positions when we cannot shift Maguire and Lindelof and we already have Evan’s. Shaw can also step in.

I can’t understand why people want this? We aren’t chelsea do we need to have 4 centre backs competing for two positions when we cannot shift Maguire and Lindelof and we already have Evan’s. Shaw can also step in.
Because we have a finite budget and should be prioritising some central midfielders. We’ve signed two CBs already.

Does ETH want to use Martinez at LB? That is the only logic I can think of for buying Branthwaite considering we've bought two CB's this window, all of which could also be considered as starters. Maybe not so much with Yoro but he will be back soon enough and hungry to break into the starting 11. Maguire or Lindelof have to be sold if this does happen.

I'd rather we get a proper midfielder instead.

If Maguire and Lindelof go I can see why we would want to bring him in.
There's plenty of game time to go around for 4 centre backs (Martinez, Deligt - Yoro, Brathwaite)

No it doesn’t, we need midfielders or we’ll have another terrible season like last year, ten Hag will be sacked and we’re back to square one.
We had a terrible year last season because we had no fit senior left backs and Jonny Evans at CB - guess what happened at the weekend? We had no fit senior left backs and Jonny Evans was starting at CB. If Lindelof leaves and Branthwaite is available for 60m we will sign him. Having 4 CBs plus Maguire - freeing Martinez as emergency cover at left back is not overkill given the issues we had last year and shaw/malacia/mazroui’s/Martinez injury records over the last 18 months.

How do we even manage minutes between him, Martinez, de Ligt and Yoro? All four would expect to play more often than not, at least with players like Maguire and Lindelof they will be happy enough to play backup to our first choice defenders.

No it doesn’t, we need midfielders or we’ll have another terrible season like last year, ten Hag will be sacked and we’re back to square one.
Exactly... why would we buy 3 CBs and say ahh nevermind the midfield, there's always next year!

We don't have a realistic need for Branthwaite now , focus on getting midfielders now.

No thank you.

Let this be a lesson for greedy Everton and their ludicrous demands. PSR will come back to bite them on the backside.

We had a terrible year last season because we had no fit senior left backs and Jonny Evans at CB - guess what happened at the weekend? We had no fit senior left backs and Jonny Evans was starting at CB. If Lindelof leaves and Branthwaite is available for 60m we will sign him. Having 4 CBs plus Maguire - freeing Martinez as emergency cover at left back is not overkill given the issues we had last year and shaw/malacia/mazroui’s/Martinez injury records over the last 18 months.
I’d rather we sign that chap from Atletico on a free if that’s the concern, then he can cover Licha and Chunkberto. And he doesn’t cost £60m.
Don’t forget both Mazraoui and Dalot can cover at LB too so that’s really not the best use of Licha.

Exactly... why would we buy 3 CBs and say ahh nevermind the midfield, there's always next year!

We don't have a realistic need for Branthwaite now , focus on getting midfielders now.

The midfield problem becomes an issue next year when Casemiro and Eriksen depart

Getting 1 in now won’t fully fix it, it can be done next summer

Makes sense to sign him this summer then fully focus on the midfield next summer
That’s makes no sense. We have strengthened enough in defense while there is a gapping hole in CDM. We need someone with young legs able to cover a lot of ground. Ugarte is the right fit. He is available now for a decent price so he should and rightly be prioritized.

I think if we offload McT and Sancho (Plus Lindelof/Mejbri and other 'fodder') then we can get Ugarte and Branthwaite
Not needed. Your scenario would still leave us with Maguire as back up. If we do raise some more funds I think it’s more likely we go for another midfield player (Fofana?) and possibly, budget allowing, a striker.

This ain’t happening. They had their chance to sell. I’m happy with our CB signings. Let’s move onto a midfielder now!

Not needed. Your scenario would still leave us with Maguire as back up. If we do raise some more funds I think it’s more likely we go for another midfield player (Fofana?) and possibly, budget allowing, a striker.
Collyer Ugarte Casemiro all for the 6 is enough, you then have Mount, Mainoo, Bruno / Zirkzee for the other 2 positions. Doubt we need more.

The midfield problem becomes an issue next year when Casemiro and Eriksen depart

Getting 1 in now won’t fully fix it, it can be done next summer
I don't agree, it's an issue now, this summer.

Ugarte is the bare minimum.

I think a lot of people will be very surprised at how much better our current midfield will be when they have top class centre backs supporting them

It would only weaken Everton's hand. Guehi was picked ahead of Branthwaite for England and is being valued by Palace below Everton's Branthwaite valuation.
It's not really that significant though when Everton are saying they don't want to sell. £70m is above the players' actual worth because they don't want to sell.
As long is the player doesn't kick up a fuss it means little.
Guehi only made the England team because our Harry was injured.,.just saying.

I think a lot of people will be very surprised at how much better our current midfield will be when they have top class centre backs supporting them

And when the manager doesn't play an inept midfield set up.

Can he play Left Back?
The athletic article from the beginning of the window said they wanted him in part because they viewed him as a CB who could also play left back to cover Shaw and Malacia

I’d have really liked this signing to happen. It feels weird we never heard more about it after the second bid was rejected. Hope we come back in January

The athletic article from the beginning of the window said they wanted him in part because they viewed him as a CB who could also play left back to cover Shaw and Malacia

I’d have really liked this signing to happen. It feels weird we never heard more about it after the second bid was rejected. Hope we come back in January
From what I have seen of him which is admittedly not a lot he doesn’t seem to be exceptional in any area.
Not too bothered about letting this go especially at the price we’d have to pay.
In My mind it was either him or Yoro and now we have one of them.

I’d rather we sign that chap from Atletico on a free if that’s the concern, then he can cover Licha and Chunkberto. And he doesn’t cost £60m.
Don’t forget both Mazraoui and Dalot can cover at LB too so that’s really not the best use of Licha.
I’d rather we sign a top young CB that’s part of our long term strategy than short term fixes because they’re cheap. We currently have 2 fit fullbacks for the next 2 months and 4 fit CBs - one of whom is Jonny Evans. We’re one injury away to Martinez, Dalot or Mazroui (who has a dreadful injury record) from having a defensive injury crisis and the season hasn’t even kicked off. Branthwaite obviously makes sense.

He shouldn't be a priority now, and he wouldn't cost any more next season either. They'll not get the money they're asking for so let's get a couple of midfielders instead.

If Maguire and Lindelof go I can see why we would want to bring him in.
There's plenty of game time to go around for 4 centre backs (Martinez, Deligt - Yoro, Brathwaite)
Yeah, would give us “city” type options at the back, especially with the inverted CB/LB hybrid nonsense like Ake/Gvardiol has been deployed. Martinez & Branthwaite could both fill that role down the left.

Anyway, with how tight PSR and cash is, and how we’re struggling to shift our existing players, I don’t see this happening. Next signing has to be a DM.

This is probably dead now, but I expect us to come back in next summer. Everton will budge at some point once they realise he won’t sign a new contract.

Exactly, the impact of defenders not keeping the high line can't be understated. You could have thrown prime Xavi Iniesta and Busquets in there last season and the gaping chasm of space would still have been there because of the defenders dropping off.

Only one of those is an actual CM and he’s still a teenager.
We will play one of the three midfielders in an advanced midfield position. Zirkzee Bruno and Mount can all do that. Casemiro is probably better as an 8 too. I'd argue Bruno is a capable 8 if needed on top.