Jarrad Branthwaite

This may seem like a pretty intangible thing, but I have always liked United having a strong english cb at the heart of the defense. Literally for that reason alone I hope we get him in over De Ligt

From the Branthwaite thread on Grand old team:

A United supporter in response to 'he's better than Man Utd':

Everton supporters in response to the United guy:

Some more reactions:
"The only embarrassment is united fans who still think they're a major player. 31 points behind City.Yeah you've still got it." from an Everton fan? :lol:

This may seem like a pretty intangible thing, but I have always liked United having a strong english cb at the heart of the defense. Literally for that reason alone I hope we get him in over De Ligt

We have one. His name is Harry Maguire and we're trying to desperately get rid of him...

No evertonian is angry or unhinged at it. We simply don't care.

We are delighted it looks like you've moved on. We didn't and don't want to sell branthwaite.

We've reacted to utd fans all over Twitter acting like utd have got some kind of win over Everton. I've seen things like 'Everton fans bitter cos Ineos won't play 3D chess with Everton'

Like.... What? We didn't even want to talk to you about branthwaite

I've read the full article. I've also looked on an Everton forum and seen an endless barrage of Everton fans being upset and having hissy fits about Utds offer far more than being pleased he seems to be staying.

I've also seen you express your distaste for Utd making a transfer offer then walk it back to claim you were "just explaining that Everton have set a price".

A lot of Everton fans are clearly upset that Utd don't see their best player as being as valuable as they seem to. That's fine but then acting like we have done anything remotely wrong is ridiculous.
My opinion regarding that price is not to be insulted by the bid of 35m because I think he's worth 70m. Rather that we have always set a clear price of 70m so it's utterly pointless to bid anything less due to what the club have said for the reasons pointed out in my response to Benito. I think it was stupid, much like many responses in this thread are stupid and at times pointless responding to but unfortunately every transfer thread on here has Muppets running around.

I don't think they do. A large majority don't care what you value him at, they're happy with him as a player and the player hasn't made any indication that he wants to leave. If you don't value him at 70m, then our stance is why are you bothering then? Because the club have stated that is what he's worth to them and he won't be sold for less.

I think they're more so laughing at the fact that many of the things that were being said about Branthwaite suddenly don't apply to Yoro which is slightly amusing. I think Yoro is the elite standout CB of his generation and he's far ahead of Branthwaite when he was 18, but both are elite talents in the CB bracket and will become the CL/International CBs of the future.

Last edited:
My opinion regarding that price is not to be insulted by the bid of 35m because I think he's worth 70m. Rather that we have always set a clear price of 70m so it's utterly pointless to bid anything less due to what the club have said for the reasons pointed out in my response to Benito. I think it was stupid, much like many responses in this thread are stupid and at times pointless responding to but unfortunately every transfer thread on here has Muppets running around.

I don't think they do. A large majority don't care what you value him at, they're happy with him as a player and the player hasn't made any indication that he wants to leave. If you don't value him at 70m, then our stance is why are you bothering then? Because the club have stated that is what he's worth to them and he won't be sold for less.

I think they're more so laughing at the fact that many of the things that were being said about Branthwaite suddenly don't apply to Yoro which is slightly amusing. I think Yoro is the elite standout CB of his generation and he's far ahead of Branthwaite when he was 18, but both are elite talents in the CB bracket and will become the CL/International CBs of the future.

I think you're being very generous to some of your fellow Everton supporters there. There's definitely some "good, now you can feck off and leave him and us alone", but there's also a lot of "how dare Manchester United not agree to our valuation and instead buy someone else for less!". It is definitely come across as a bit "wait, no! You were supposed to buy our guy!".

I agree that his value to you may not line-up with his actual "market" value, and that's perfectly fine, but I'm not sure why you're acting like lower-than-valuation bids are a completely abnormal thing. You set an asking price, we tried to negotiate it down. It's standard practice, and there's a long history of clubs puffing their metaphorical chests out and saying players aren't being sold for less than x-fee, yet still coming to an agreement for less than that.

I'm not sure what the things said about Branthwaite suddenly don't apply to Yoro were though. I think many would have been perfectly happy for us to get Branthwaite for a similar fee to Yoro's. The reality is that you were valuing Branthwaite at £75 million, allegedly because we paid around that for Maguire (and with some talk of him being a £100 million player), and now you're left with said "£100 million player" on a wage not remotely reflecting that valuation and seemingly no other clubs interested.

Branthwaite may be happy to stay at Everton, but is he happy to stay at Everton on less than half the money he'd have likely been on with a move to Manchester United?

1. I think you're being very generous to some of your fellow Everton supporters there. There's definitely some "good, now you can feck off and leave him and us alone", but there's also a lot of "how dare Manchester United not agree to our valuation and instead buy someone else for less!". It is definitely come across as a bit "wait, no! You were supposed to buy our guy!".

2. I agree that his value to you may not line-up with his actual "market" value, and that's perfectly fine, but I'm not sure why you're acting like lower-than-valuation bids are a completely abnormal thing. You set an asking price, we tried to negotiate it down. It's standard practice, and there's a long history of clubs puffing their metaphorical chests out and saying players aren't being sold for less than x-fee, yet still coming to an agreement for less than that.

3. I'm not sure what the things said about Branthwaite suddenly don't apply to Yoro were though. I think many would have been perfectly happy for us to get Branthwaite for a similar fee to Yoro's. The reality is that you were valuing Branthwaite at £75 million, allegedly because we paid around that for Maguire (and with some talk of him being a £100 million player), and now you're left with said "£100 million player" on a wage not remotely reflecting that valuation and seemingly no other clubs interested.

4. Branthwaite may be happy to stay at Everton, but is he happy to stay at Everton on less than half the money he'd have likely been on with a move to Manchester United?
1. From what I've seen in my bubble on GoT and Twitter, I think that is more of a reflection of comments being made in this saga regarding not overpaying and how negotiations with United have changed but then you've spent 62m Euros and up to 70m Euros (According to Ornstein) on an 18 year old with 1 year left on their deal, which may be a contradiction to that from some people. The overwhelming majority of Everton fans don't want to sell Branthwaite but also understand that he's one of our few sellable assets and that there is a price (set by the club at 70m), which is more valuable to the restructure to the squad than it is to keep him, despite our views on him as a player.

2. I just think from the off we have been very clear about the price and that there is no negotiation on it. Some clubs set a fee and then are open to negotiation but from what I've been hearing from the club and the best sources at the club, is that there is no negotiation on that price. That's all. That's what happened with Onana for example. I don't see us under any pressure to sell anymore and it's the fee we have set as too good to turn down because the benefits to the club outweigh the benefit of keeping the player.

3. I mean, that's the point? We don't want to sell him, so we don't really care if no other club is interested (which I don't really think is true either and though there is no upfront interest aside from United, I believe there are other clubs that are 'monitoring him and the situation' so to speak).

4. Up until this point it seems so, there has been no indication from the player that he's unhappy at Everton or unhappy in staying for what he's on currently but things can change.

I have no problem changing my thoughts if a situation changes but from the beginning of this saga, our stance on the player, the value, and the transfer hasn't changed.

This is mildly amusing. Never seen in my life club supporters not happy the other club walked away by refusing to pay asking price for their supposedly best talent.

It would be epic if Everton lowers the price and let him go.

We are delighted it looks like you've moved on. We didn't and don't want to sell branthwaite.

We've reacted to utd fans all over Twitter acting like utd have got some kind of win over Everton. I've seen things like 'Everton fans bitter cos Ineos won't play 3D chess with Everton'

I don't think that's true. Throwing a ridiculous fee out there and waiting for us to pay up seemed to work in the past, but hopefully those days are gone.

Not only for us but also for the player himself, as it was always something the media and critics seemed to focus on, allowing for some top-level abuse.

Quality control
I don't think that's true. Throwing a ridiculous fee out there and waiting for us to pay up seemed to work in the past, but hopefully those days are gone.

Not only for us but also for the player himself, as it was always something the media and critics seemed to focus on, allowing for some top-level abuse.
You've just paid £50m for an 18 year old with 1 year left on his deal.... when the other club were offering £20m. You've over paid for a bang average dutch striker... even paid more than his release fee and a ridiculous agent fee.

Lets not pretend United have changed, you've just dished out 2 ridiculous fees.

The problem you have is our fee is above your budget currently.

You've just paid £50m for an 18 year old with 1 year left on his deal.... when the other club were offering £20m. You've over paid for a bang average dutch striker... even paid more than his release fee and a ridiculous agent fee.

I’ve never watched the Dutch striker, but didn’t he just win young player of the year in Italy?

In both cases, we were not bullied into paying a big fee. We identified the targets, and as the price met our evaluation, we paid up and got it over with.

Or we think Yoro is a better talent...

I think your club wants to cash him, he is not someone who can make a difference to your EPL standing, saw United interested, assumed this is old United they can milk, quoted ridiculous price, supporters thought their club will win a lottery, new United walk away, got another talent for lesser price, now your club can't sell him at market value.

It’s almost as if different players aren’t the same.

This idea that because we think Yoro is worth £52m + addons, we should also think Branthwaite is worth the £75-80m Everton were asking for.

What’s the logic behind it? Yoro is 18 - he’s just spent a season starting in Ligue 1 in a side that qualified for CL. He’s in the top 5 of the Golden Boy index and had a host of Europes top clubs chasing his signature.

Branthwaite was playing 9 games in League 2 for Carlisle at the same age. He's just spent a season starting for an Everton side that finished bottom half while playing deep lying, defense focused Sean Dyche football. He’s never been included on the Golden Boy index as far as I can see and the only club that has shown any really interest in signing him this summer is us.

He looks an excellent defender and I’d like to see him join, but let’s stop pretending himself and Yoro are the same.

Then there’s this business of Everton fans telling us he’s better than us and how United are a washed up club. We finished 8th and won the Cup - that would be their greatest season in going on 40 years.

You know, just because you dislike how United have behaved in this situation it doesnt mean that everything the club is doing is bad. Sometimes its good to have a balanced point of view when you get triggered for some reason.

This is nonsense though. United agreed terms with Branthwaite. That can only be because Everton gave permission for us to speak to him. Clearly Everton would have sold him if an offer had been received closer to their valuation. The fact is that Everton’s valuation is completely out of keeping with a player who isn’t close to being a “generational talent”, so we’ve moved on.

The problem for Everton now is that they are paying a player they regard as worth £70m £35k a week. If he isn’t sold, his agent is fairly swiftly going to be demanding a pay rise and that’s likely to be accompanied by a demand for a realistic release clause. He will be sold next summer for much less than the current demand.

We've clearly used the money from the Everton bid to secure yoro and Braithwaite is now a closed chapter.

If Lindelof leaves, then surely we go with deLigt

1. From what I've seen in my bubble on GoT and Twitter, I think that is more of a reflection of comments being made in this saga regarding not overpaying and how negotiations with United have changed but then you've spent 62m Euros and up to 70m Euros (According to Ornstein) on an 18 year old with 1 year left on their deal, which may be a contradiction to that from some people. The overwhelming majority of Everton fans don't want to sell Branthwaite but also understand that he's one of our few sellable assets and that there is a price (set by the club at 70m), which is more valuable to the restructure to the squad than it is to keep him, despite our views on him as a player.

2. I just think from the off we have been very clear about the price and that there is no negotiation on it. Some clubs set a fee and then are open to negotiation but from what I've been hearing from the club and the best sources at the club, is that there is no negotiation on that price. That's all. That's what happened with Onana for example. I don't see us under any pressure to sell anymore and it's the fee we have set as too good to turn down because the benefits to the club outweigh the benefit of keeping the player.

3. I mean, that's the point? We don't want to sell him, so we don't really care if no other club is interested (which I don't really think is true either and though there is no upfront interest aside from United, I believe there are other clubs that are 'monitoring him and the situation' so to speak).

4. Up until this point it seems so, there has been no indication from the player that he's unhappy at Everton or unhappy in staying for what he's on currently but things can change.

I have no problem changing my thoughts if a situation changes but from the beginning of this saga, our stance on the player, the value, and the transfer hasn't changed.

1. We've paid £52 million with add-ons potentially increasing that, amidst strong interest from Liverpool and Real Madrid for the same player. We offered you similar for Branthwaite and you said no. From a United perspective, I'm finding it quite odd that this is being seen as us "overpaying" for Yoro (especially as he was one of three targets for the same position that we were publicly interested in), and it is definitely coming across as weirdly bitter that we didn't bow to your demands of paying the best part of £20 million more for your guy. We've identified him as a high-potential player, he's already got two seasons of senior football under his belt (and made the Ligue 1 team of the season for 23/24), and we knew that we'd likely lose out on him if he tried to get him on a free.

2. Again, I'm not sure why you're acting like attempting to negotiate, even with a seemingly fixed-price, is unheard of. We also made our initial offer at a time when it was widely reported that you desperately needed to sell. Even without that desperate need, you've hardly been in a great financial position of late, and the fact that you basically came out and went "you paid £80 million for Maguire" (as if that means anything) did paint the picture of a club hoping we'd simply make the same mistakes we'd previously made, rather than one that's actually made a considered evaluation of how much their player is worth.

3. What's that got to do with "things said about Branthwaite not applying to Yoro" though? We've bought another player for less than you were after for Branthwaite, but for a similar fee to what we'd offered, and sections of your fan-base (including you, at this point), have basically decided to start making weird jibes at Yoro and the deal we've made to sign him, despite claiming to be happy that we've moved on from Branthwaite. By "interest" I did mean "concrete" interest in the form of a bid, which as far as I'm aware, you've not had aside from the ones we made.

4. I would be very surprised if he's happy sitting on the reported £35k a week this season after your extremely public posturing over his ability and value. This doesn't mean he's unhappy to stay at Everton, but I do think it's a bit fantastical to think his agent isn't going to be looking at a new contract for him once the window is closed.

By your own logic here, any club that hypothetically comes in and meets your £75 million valuation of Branthwaite is going to have overpaid, simply by virtue of us having already made a bids of £20-40 million less than that.

Also, Zirkzee just won young player of the year in Serie A, and Yoro was named in the Ligue 1 team of the season.

I haven't compared Utd to Everton? But jeez the arrogance from you... at your worse of times? I grew up in the 80's. Everton were bigger than you. Just as they were in the 00's,10's,20's,30's,40s,50's, etc.

You haven't always been the biggest club in England. Until the start of the PL you were in the arguement, but thats it. Liverpool were far bigger.

Now back to serious talk. Look at the young lad at Hull that we want. Everton are a far bigger club than Palace... but are we more attractive at the minute? Even though we only finished a few points behind them?

probably not.

In the same way you are not as attractive as City, Arsenal, Liverpool etc

Real Madrid would have finished more than 14 points above us last season. You are a bang average side now and certainly not levels above us. Sad but true for you. In fact even though you beat us at Goodison last season, you made us look like Madrid in that game.

Bend over? love this propaganda. You can't afford him currently.

Nobody is being smug. Pot kettle though... loads of people on here still seem to think Utd are a super power up with Real, Bayern etc.

Utd finished 8th last season and get their backsides handed to them by Gala and Copenhagen.

You are an average PL side that looks like it has limited money to improve the squad and your stadium is falling to bits.

I've no idea why you've joined Man United's fan site to be honest. Going off a number of your posts, you seem to have a real contempt for the club and its current status, so why sign up? Just to voice that contempt?

Last edited:
42 million at this moment is much different to 70m+ for a young defender and by some views is a better prospect than Branthwaite. We've moved on as we've already bought the player. Some Everton fans should stop trying to compare 42m to 70m plus whatever addons clauses or payment structure we don't know Everton would want and be happy they've kept their jewel and sell to City or Madrid for 100m pounds sterling according to some other Everton fan.

There is no insult, we inquired, felt it was too much and quickly moved on to buy another promising young CB for 42m now, that likely suits our payment plans. Fair play to Everton club, they set a value and importance and have kept him.

The player will become unhappy and force the move. We using Berrarda/City tactics now

You seem like a right bitter individual. The reason we haven’t paid £70m for Branthwaite isn’t because we can’t afford it, it’s because we don’t think he’s fecking worth it. Whereas we’re willing to spend big money on Yoro as we think he’s going to be a special player, simple as! I don’t know why you’re bringing Zirkzee into this as well, we’ve got Serie A’s young player of the year for a pretty reasonable sum of money, how about you concern yourself with your own clubs transfer business instead of worrying about how we’re spending our money.

1. We've paid £52 million with add-ons potentially increasing that, amidst strong interest from Liverpool and Real Madrid for the same player. We offered you similar for Branthwaite and you said no. From a United perspective, I'm finding it quite odd that this is being seen as us "overpaying" for Yoro (especially as he was one of three targets for the same position that we were publicly interested in), and it is definitely coming across as weirdly bitter that we didn't bow to your demands of paying the best part of £20 million more for your guy. We've identified him as a high-potential player, he's already got two seasons of senior football under his belt (and made the Ligue 1 team of the season for 23/24), and we knew that we'd likely lose out on him if he tried to get him on a free.

2. Again, I'm not sure why you're acting like attempting to negotiate, even with a seemingly fixed-price, is unheard of. We also made our initial offer at a time when it was widely reported that you desperately needed to sell. Even without that desperate need, you've hardly been in a great financial position of late, and the fact that you basically came out and went "you paid £80 million for Maguire" (as if that means anything) did paint the picture of a club hoping we'd simply make the same mistakes we'd previously made, rather than one that's actually made a considered evaluation of how much their player is worth.

3. What's that got to do with "things said about Branthwaite not applying to Yoro" though? We've bought another player for less than you were after for Branthwaite, but for a similar fee to what we'd offered, and sections of your fan-base (including you, at this point), have basically decided to start making weird jibes at Yoro and the deal we've made to sign him, despite claiming to be happy that we've moved on from Branthwaite. By "interest" I did mean "concrete" interest in the form of a bid, which as far as I'm aware, you've not had aside from the ones we made.

4. I would be very surprised if he's happy sitting on the reported £35k a week this season after your extremely public posturing over his ability and value. This doesn't mean he's unhappy to stay at Everton, but I do think it's a bit fantastical to think his agent isn't going to be looking at a new contract for him once the window is closed.
1. I don't think it is coming across as bitter in regards to what I was speaking about in my initial reply . If you noticed in my post I didn't make any comparison between the fee for Branthwaite and Yoro and I was talking about the reflection of overpaying by United. If you look at an 18 year old with one year left on their deal and pay £52m initial fee, I think quite a lot of people would consider that overpaying. Quite a lot of United fans on here have too, including those that are clued up on players and deals such as @Adnan .

2. Haven't said it's unheard of, just that we have been very firm and haven't showed any indication of budging on that valuation from the very start. I think in that instance it is fair for people to have as an opinion that there is gamesmanship on show and attempts to unsettle a player. I don't think that is an outlandish opinion to have.

3. Pardon? Where have I made weird jibes at Yoro? I've said that I think he is the standout elite talent of his generation and I think Branthwaite is the tier below and I've also said that Branthwaite at 18 was not as good as Yoro is at 18. If you're talking about the fee, I already stated, I'm talking about the reflection of that in regards to comments made about United not overpaying for players anymore etc. Again, I think it's a fair reflection or opinion to consider that a contradiction when considering the Yoro deal. At the end of the day though, money spent on a player only matters if they turn out to be rubbish. Nobody cares if they end up being good and that's why you'd spend this much on Yoro, and why you'd spend so much on Branthwaite if it ever happens because they both have monstrous potential aside from their already good ability.

4. I'm sure we will sit down and have a chat with him, but there's been nothing on that front currently. At the moment he's happy and we are happy.

Bitter tears.

I've no idea why you've joined Man United's fan site to be honest. Going off a number of your posts, you seem to have a real contempt for the club and its current status, so why sign up? Just to voice that contempt?
It’s weird isn’t it, who’s got time for that shit?

It's been widely regarded as a smart move to pay slightly more than the release fee because it allows the club to spread the cost over 3 years rather than paying the whole amount up front and reducing what we can currently spend. But you wouldn't care about that because your sole purpose for posting on a Manchester Utd forum appears to be so you can just shit-talk them on a regular basis. Bizarre behaviour.

An Everton fan trying to mock and belittle Utd on a Utd forum really is something.

Even at our lowest moments last season we still ended up with a season Everton could only dream of.

An Everton fan trying to mock and belittle Utd on a Utd forum really is something.

Even at our lowest moments last season we still ended up with a season Everton could only dream of.

Been a weird influx of fans of mid-table clubs trying to shit-talk Utd recently. Regardless of how crap we've been even our most recent season of 8th and an FA Cup is shit they could only dream of.

EDIT: I just realised I may have subconsciously re-worded your last line. I don't remember reading it but I must've done :lol:

Been a weird influx of fans of mid-table clubs trying to shit-talk Utd recently. Regardless of how crap we've been even our most recent season of 8th and an FA Cup is shit they could only dream of.

Yeah there's a Leicester fan on here I think who seems to loathe Utd to a weirdly obsessive degree.

It's very strange.

I suppose it must be immensely frustrating for them that even when we're awful and have a terrible season we still end up winning stuff.

1. I don't think it is coming across as bitter in regards to what I was speaking about in my initial reply . If you noticed in my post I didn't make any comparison between the fee for Branthwaite and Yoro and I was talking about the reflection of overpaying by United. If you look at an 18 year old with one year left on their deal and pay £52m initial fee, I think quite a lot of people would consider that overpaying. Quite a lot of United fans on here have too, including those that are clued up on players and deals such as @Adnan .

2. Haven't said it's unheard of, just that we have been very firm and haven't showed any indication of budging on that valuation from the very start. I think in that instance it is fair for people to have as an opinion that there is gamesmanship on show and attempts to unsettle a player. I don't think that is an outlandish opinion to have.

3. Pardon? Where have I made weird jibes at Yoro? I've said that I think he is the standout elite talent of his generation and I think Branthwaite is the tier below and I've also said that Branthwaite at 18 was not as good as Yoro is at 18. If you're talking about the fee, I already stated, I'm talking about the reflection of that in regards to comments made about United not overpaying for players anymore etc. Again, I think it's a fair reflection or opinion to consider that a contradiction when considering the Yoro deal. At the end of the day though, money spent on a player only matters if they turn out to be rubbish. Nobody cares if they end up being good and that's why you'd spend this much on Yoro, and why you'd spend so much on Branthwaite if it ever happens because they both have monstrous potential aside from their already good ability.

4. I'm sure we will sit down and have a chat with him, but there's been nothing on that front currently. At the moment he's happy and we are happy.

Simply put, you and other Everton fans seem weirdly concerned with the Yoro deal, particularly the fee involved. For a club and fan-base supposedly so happy to have kept Branthwaite, this apparent "confusion" over United choosing to move on to another target is bizarre.

United have walked away from giving you the £75 million you wanted for Branthwaite, and have instead spent the £50 million we'd offered on another player, while having simultaneously successfully advanced negotiations for a third option, and yet somehow the reflection of such transfer dealings is that United are still overpaying for players?

If Lille wanted more for Yoro, or he wasn't really on board with the transfer because of the other interest, we'd have very likely walked away from that one too and signed De Ligt instead. But by all means, keep going on about "the reflection of overpaying by United", of which the subtext is very much coming across as "we wanted you to overpay for Brainthwaite and we're slightly gutted you didn't."

The jibes are the constant "you've overpaid", as if our approach to this transfer hasn't been worlds apart from previous windows. We went for Branthwaite, got knocked back, and simultaneously had good negotiations for Yoro and De Ligt, settling on the former, all while we got the Zirkzee deal over the line quickly and sensibly. Condensing all of that down to "paid £52 million for a teenager so you've clearly not learnt anything" is absolutely a jibe at the club and at Yoro.

Of course you've not sat down with Branthwaite yet. There's still over a month of the window left. Let's see what happens if he's still with you once it's closed.

EDIT: I just realised I may have subconsciously re-worded your last line. I don't remember reading it but I must've done :lol:

Tbf you don't have to support a Madrid to mock United and their woes and for many fans in the PL when they had to suffer the years when you were winning everything, it is a bit of a laugh. Obviously doesn't hit the same when you support a club that's been tragic for many years.

Everton media figures being upset at us for not signing Branthwaite honestly makes this one of the weirdest, funniest saga's I have ever seen.

Tbf you don't have to support a Madrid to mock United and their woes and for many fans in the PL when they had to suffer the years when you were winning everything, it is a bit of a laugh. Obviously doesn't hit the same when you support a club that's been tragic for many years.

Yeah of course. I've never really understood the idea that fans of lower positioned clubs can't mock higher ones. The fans have basically zero input into what happens, we're all just viewers.

There's a way to do it though. You for example, are a good opposition fan to have on the forum because you explain your points calmly and see other perspectives. This other bloke seems to be a bit angry and tunnel visioned.