Jarrad Branthwaite

This Yoro/Branthwaite saga is giving me Jones/Varane vibes from 2011

Looks like we’ve got the right one this time instead of Real Madrid
Jones was a brilliant signing just ruined by injuries. He’s honestly one of the best young CBs I’ve ever seen live. He just got really ridiculously unlucky.

From the Branthwaite thread on Grand old team:

Hope we can keep him.

Think Man Utd will come back in for him though when they've sold some, or Man City/Real Madrid.

As I've long said - he's better than Man Utd. He's as good as, if not better than Stones was for us.

There isn't another centre half in the league Id swop him for. Especially factoring in hes left footed.

A United supporter in response to 'he's better than Man Utd':
'I'm sorry but this is just nonsense.'

Everton supporters in response to the United guy:

How is it? He’s a top player and you are a joke organisation.
He is. You guys are pyar wank
You finished 8th last season.

Branthwaite can, and should aim higher.
I don't think it is. I think @GrandOldTeam is completely right

The behaviour of Man United, it's client journalists and their YouTubers has been laughable.

The fact that you can't see how embarrassing that has been in it all, is fairly telling.

No self awareness.
He really is, mate. I have a load of UTD supporting mates and have told them, joining that circus is little better than a sideways step - he should wait until a big club comes in, UTDs days are OVER
Branthwaite is going to a Champions League club mate, deal with it like an adult please.
Is a step up but your club is so far from what is was, like honestly how good do you think your club is. You are so far behind city it is laughable , this lad is a talent and will see next summer when clubs going for league titles and the champions league not a club like united. Whos stadium is falling apart even wanted to sack there manager this season. Not sure why your club thinks it acan take any player just living in the past
Some more reactions:

He's 6ft5. Give him an umbrella and you've fixed that leaking roof.
The only embarrassment is united fans who still think they're a major player. 31 points behind City.
Yeah you've still got it.
the bids United put in for branthwaite was nonsense , he is proven in the premier league will get better and will go to a champions league team and go for what he’s worth, should have paid the asking price this season as it was the only shout United will ever get in signing him, what you did makes no sense ???paid for a player who’s not had any premier league experience will take time to adjust if he does adjust its a 60/70 million pound gamble. you could have played safe and paid that for a player who slots in And is ready from the off

Last edited:
That Liverpool Echo article seems to ignore the fact that Everton have been in financial troubles and had to raise funds before the end of June.

Our bids held that in mind to acquire Branthwaite for a fee that wasn't inflated by hype. Every club haggles over transfer fees to save money. If they don't want to accept that, then fine, we move on to other targets.

From the Branthwaite thread on Grand old team when the news about Yoro's medical started to break:

They're all saying yoro is miles better than branthwaite, guarantee they hadn't even heard of him until last week because I hadn't, they're only raving about him because Madrid are after him
What happened to United not overpaying and INEOS being master negotiators eh Yoounited fans? They are such weirdos
It's hilarious how much more the cult like behavior has intensified under sir Jim at least for my friends that support man united, they don't believe they over paid despite yoro playing in a less competitive league and one year left on his contract as real madrid was interested yet they thought jarrard was overpriced at 50 million I think it just plays into the entitled thought process where they believe they're still in competition with real despite madrid probably not having any intention to play on the regular for awhile
I think this one will turn out different, this definitely seems more of an Ashworth signing than the big money they’ve just paid for older players, or Ten Hag’s ex players.

I just don't like the idea of 2 inexperienced CBs together, De Ligt at 24 has excellent experience.

I kind of had the same mentality, but he does have a years experience playing against everything there is to offer in the PL, and he did well. He’s 22 so not a kid like Yoro. I’d say he’d be just as likely to be a success as a De Ligt who hasn’t played in the Prem. But tbh, I’d be happy with either.

I kind of had the same mentality, but he does have a years experience playing against everything there is to offer in the PL, and he did well. He’s 22 so not a kid like Yoro. I’d say he’d be just as likely to be a success as a De Ligt who hasn’t played in the Prem. But tbh, I’d be happy with either.
De Ligt who has played at highest level since the age of 18 at top clubs is nowhere comparable to what Jarrad has done so far.

What exactly are the blue nosed scouse twits mad about? United identified a highly rated CB who was wanted by Madrid and who is widely recognized as an elite young talent and bought him. Brainthwaite has played a single good season in the premier league, is not wanted by any other big club and is being overvalued by a club that’s won feck all for 3 decades. What am I missing here, your overpriced hero is likely staying…

To be fair to Evertonians, there's plenty of indignant and outraged messages whenever a bid considered as too low and derisory is submitted for MU players.

What exactly are the blue nosed scouse twits mad about? United identified a highly rated CB who was wanted by Madrid and who is widely recognized as an elite young talent and bought him. Brainthwaite has played a single good season in the premier league, is not wanted by any other big club and is being overvalued by a club that’s won feck all for 3 decades. What am I missing here, your overpriced hero is likely staying…
They're perfectly entitled to set whatever price they want, but the meltdown from some of their fans and that Liverpool Echo journo because... we decided to go for somebody else instead is properly baffling.

I see people keep using Antony and Maguire as benchmarks for any potential transfer fees when United are involved. Isn't the general consensus also that United grossly overpaid for those players? Then why are those fees mentioned at all in these discussions - it's as if opposition fans expect United to continue overpaying for average players for eternity. The same opposition fans would be making a laughing stock of Branthwaite and United if we signed him for a big fee and he didn't live up to it. Then when we go for the next player, the argument becomes we overpaid for Maguire, Antony and Branthwaite and the cycle continues.

We've moved on from their "£100 million player" and signed someone (arguably more highly rated) for half the price, and now they're left having to explain to him why they can't quadruple his £35k a week wage, despite him apparently being a priceless, generational talent.

Was never worth the price they were asking. Glad we moved on instead of spending all summer haggling and overpaying at the end.

Positive signs with the new management

Some more reactions:
Wow. Completely unhinged:lol:

That Everton forum...It's like reading Bluemoon, so much bile and hatred towards United. Also Branthwhite is a "generational talent" like Rooney, doesn't make mistakes, Real Madrid will buy him, etc. It's what decades of hovering slightly above relegation does to you I guess.

That Everton forum...It's like reading Bluemoon, so much bile and hatred towards United. Also Branthwhite is a "generational talent" like Rooney, doesn't make mistakes, Real Madrid will buy him, etc. It's what decades of hovering slightly above relegation does to you I guess.
Lets see if anyone buys branthwaite this year, noone is paying more than 50m other than us

I think this is not over yet. If we sell a few more defenders then he could be the alternative to De Ligt still.

If you read the article and not the title then you'll see it's the opinion of the writer.

I've read the full article. I've also looked on an Everton forum and seen an endless barrage of Everton fans being upset and having hissy fits about Utds offer far more than being pleased he seems to be staying.

I've also seen you express your distaste for Utd making a transfer offer then walk it back to claim you were "just explaining that Everton have set a price".

A lot of Everton fans are clearly upset that Utd don't see their best player as being as valuable as they seem to. That's fine but then acting like we have done anything remotely wrong is ridiculous.

The hysteria in that article is hilarious. Branthwaite has 'set the premier league on fire' has he?! Even for an opinion piece that's ludicrously one eyed and emotional

If it's a fire then it's the sort you get from a cheap pack of matches on a windy day.

Some more reactions:

Imagine being this offended a club bought someone else for a cheaper price and they can do one about this "premier league proven" stuff, he played 1 season in the most defensive minded system in the league.

I still think we probably go back in with one more bid for Branthwaite before the end of the window, when finances become available. I'd be surprised if it reached £70m but I think we might get close. Yoro was clearly the top target and my hunch is that we still have de Ligt on the back burner if we can't do a deal for Branthwaite.

Obviously we are all just guessing, but I don’t think we will get anywhere close to 70 million for Branthwaite.

It's not silly when you don't want to sell.

Again, that narrative about being angry is being driven by United media, not Everton.
What's silly is the clubs greed has now left you with a player who obviously wanted to leave. Also you've shown him his value and his wage doesn't reflect that price. He'll be after a lot more now if he doesn't leave before September. Also, Utd isn't driving anything. We found a better deal and now all of a sudden everyone else is butt hurt that we got a deal that nobody said we had a chance at over the line, so the narrative is now that Yoro is not as good as everyone was making him out to be but Branthwaite is our loss. I'm pretty sure he wasn't the answer after 1 good season when we were bidding for him. Funny how things change with Utd isn't it

Don’t understand why fans of a club that is nothing better than relegation level are so butthurt that we didn’t buy their player.

Someone else will and you will still be looking at 18-20

After reading their forum a bit i totally get why some could be furious we aren't throwing them a huge fee.
The only transfer speculation is about Phillips on a loan and they aren't universally disgusted about it, a lot of them are resigned to it. Most of the rest is hoping they can get a new deal with Calvert Lewin and obscure guys i've never heard of (i guess they shop in a different market to be fair). Oh and wishing they bought Wharton.
Its just pretty grim. Brantwaithe is their ticket to transfer muppetry and hope vs Dyche ball and Kalvin Phillips.

If he is really that good then surely Everton fans should be over the moon and it’s him staying (for now) rather than being so irate.

Silentwitness is getting a fair bit of unfair flak here. Most of what he said was sensible. Ultimately, it made better sense for Everton to keep Branthwaite than sell him to United unless we were willing to pay an inflated price as they would find it difficult to replace Branthwaite on the cheap. Just like it made sense for United to walk away and buy Yoro at a lower price, with plenty of upsides. English clubs are a lot richer than clubs from other leagues and it is just more difficult to get good value when buying from English clubs.

Silentwitness is getting a fair bit of unfair flak here. Most of what he said was sensible. Ultimately, it made better sense for Everton to keep Branthwaite than sell him to United unless we were willing to pay an inflated price as they would find it difficult to replace Branthwaite on the cheap. Just like it made sense for United to walk away and buy Yoro at a lower price, with plenty of upsides. English clubs are a lot richer than clubs from other leagues and it is just more difficult to get good value when buying from English clubs.

You're missing the point. Everton didn't sell him to us for a far lower valuation than what was considered acceptable and logical by them. That's enough reason to be upset with them and go on a random rampage on Everton fans. How dare that puny lot does this to the mighty Man Utd?

You're missing the point. Everton didn't sell him to us for a far lower valuation than what was considered acceptable and logical by them. That's enough reason to be upset with them and go on a random rampage on Everton fans. How dare that puny lot does this to the mighty Man Utd?
I am not referring to the entire Everton fanbase. I was only talking about Silentwitness, who I don't think said much wrong. That article that decried United for daring to bid more for Yoro than for Branthwaite was hilarious

I am not referring to the entire Everton fanbase. I was only talking about Silentwitness, who I don't think said much wrong. That article that decried United for daring to bid more for Yoro than for Branthwaite was hilarious

I was being sarcastic. Both clubs did what was logical to them. Neither lost out IMO.

It is absolutely fine that Everton rejected our bid. God speed to them. I hope they get a bid for 100m for him, I quite like Everton as a club.

It is totally ridiculous to imagine that Man Utd did anything even remotely wrong by making the bid.

The only thing better than their current meltdown, would be the meltdown that would ensue if we end up actually signing him for less than the 70m they want.