Jarrad Branthwaite

I don't think it's that far fetched. If they hold firm and don't sell him this year, What's he going to do? Sure his agent might be throwing their words back at him, but he's under contract. He might be frustrated -angry even - but it's in his interests to turn up and perform.

He's on 35k. He'll get that anywhere, no matter how much or how shite he is this season. He'll also have two years left on his contract next summer, which basically makes it their last chance to try and command a "full" fee, and that's if they stay up, which they might well need him to do.

It's a gamble, and I can't blame them for taking it, I just think it's incredibly fanciful for them to think he's going to be happy on his current wage after all the hyping up they've done this summer. I can't see how they can publicly claim him to be among their most valuable assets, but then not pay him accordingly.

I don't think it's weird that they've rejected our offer(s) for him, I just think it's odd that their fans seem to think he's going to be content on £35k a week when, by all accounts, we'd already agreed to pay him about four times that.

There's also the fact that Everton, whether they like it or not, are very much seen as a "stepping stone" in the Premier League. feck around too much and they become a less attractive prospect to future "Brainthwaites" ,who won't want to risk missing out on a big move,

Well Everton can and will value their player at whatever they want. However, when the club decides to move on to another target and sign said target, acting annoyed and getting all arsey about it is really weird. Also, if said player wanted to leave and feels Everton blocked him from that they have to deal with the consequences of that. Entering contract negotiations with a player they just stopped from a 160k contract will be tricky.
Yes this was pretty hilarious to be honest.

He's on 35k. He'll get that anywhere, no matter how much or how shite he is this season. He'll also have two years left on his contract next summer, which basically makes it their last chance to try and command a "full" fee, and that's if they stay up, which they might well need him to do.

It's a gamble, and I can't blame them for taking it, I just think it's incredibly fanciful for them to think he's going to be happy on his current wage after all the hyping up they've done this summer. I can't see how they can publicly claim him to be among their most valuable assets, but then not pay him accordingly.

I don't think it's weird that they've rejected our offer(s) for him, I just think it's odd that their fans seem to think he's going to be content on £35k a week when, by all accounts, we'd already agreed to pay him about four times that.

There's also the fact that Everton, whether they like it or not, are very much seen as a "stepping stone" in the Premier League. feck around too much and they become a less attractive prospect to future "Brainthwaites" ,who won't want to risk missing out on a big move,

He's a promising young player that has only played one season in the Everton first team. Yes, he's likely to be annoyed at the money, but is he going to go on strike or down tools? Probably not. He'll still want to perform every week, because if he doesn't will there be the same suitors for him next summer?

And yes, Everton are risking missing out on his peak value if he doesn't sign a new contract, but they're not in a position to just chuck money at him. They might reasonably assume their chances of fighting relegation are better with him in the team, especially because if they try to replace him it'll likely mean a new player on higher wages.

I’m sure if he doesn’t move he’ll agree a contract on far better terms.

Everton have three options:
  1. Sell for ~£50m
  2. Keep and raise his wages to ~£150,000
  3. Keep and stick to current contract
None of those are ideal for the club. 2 of them risk sending out the message that players can’t move on when they’ve developed and one risks them feeling they should be getting Maguire fees from a club that isn’t ran that way anymore

Having lost Onana already I can easily see why Everton are playing hardball on this one. In fairness to the player though, they should at least offer him a good wage increase considering how much they value him. That said, the truth is he didn’t make the England squad for the Euros, but if fit, Maguire would almost certainly have made it - that’s the yardstick.

He's a promising young player that has only played one season in the Everton first team. Yes, he's likely to be annoyed at the money, but is he going to go on strike or down tools? Probably not. He'll still want to perform every week, because if he doesn't will there be the same suitors for him next summer?

And yes, Everton are risking missing out on his peak value if he doesn't sign a new contract, but they're not in a position to just chuck money at him. They might reasonably assume their chances of fighting relegation are better with him in the team, especially because if they try to replace him it'll likely mean a new player on higher wages.
At first glance he doesn't seem like a player who'll kick up a fuss. He would have by now if he was going to. The opportunity looks past at this point anyway. You'd want him to keep his head down and let his agent deal with it. Thats the best outcome for everyone involved, including people looking to buy him.
And he'll take a good deal today over a great deal that might never come. They've given his agent good leverage but they have enough time and excuses to play hardball for a while themselves. I expect they'll figure it out.
City's trial in November could change things drastically so it would probably be sensible to wait it out. Newcastle could find a dozen new record breaking sponsors just in time for January.

I don't think we disagree. It's a gamble I understand, I just don't quite get the posturing from Everton fans.

I also don't think it's necessarily a case of him deliberately downing tools, but more of a case of his performance levels not being quite there because of the off-field issues. We've seen it happen with many players, for many reasons, but commonly because of contract disputes.

How would you have handled it if you were Everton?

Genuinely curious because I don't get the furore United fans have with them.

If I was Everton and United came knocking at my door less than 2 years removed from paying €95m for Antony and €75m for Hojlund - two players who had in around the same experience and achievements as Branthwaite at the time of their transfers without the bonus of being a home-grown player who has already shown his quality in the Premier League - I would be damn sure looking for the same transfer figure as Everton have.
False comparisons for me as attacking players generally go for much more than defensive players (and obviously the Antony transfer was woefully negotiated by us and he went for way above what he should have - so poor example to point at an extreme than the norm).

What Everton accepted for Onana - a 22 year old CM with PL experience and already established himself with Belgium, is about the same fee that Branthwaite should be going for as well. Whatever the reasons they have for adding £20m onto the fee - English Tax, United Tax, only prepared to sell one of them, or whatever - none of it is reflective of a £20m higher level of ability between the two players. And usually you'd pay more for a similar ability midfielder than for a defender (and more for a striker than for a midfielder), not the other way around.

This is quite standard negotiating in any industry, they will know that he is worth that in the market and Everton should at least get much closer to that if they rate him that highly. I doubt he or his agent expect them to match it.

Well Everton can and will value their player at whatever they want. However, when the club decides to move on to another target and sign said target, acting annoyed and getting all arsey about it is really weird. Also, if said player wanted to leave and feels Everton blocked him from that they have to deal with the consequences of that. Entering contract negotiations with a player they just stopped from a 160k contract will be tricky.

Has that happened, though? Have Everton been acting like that about us seemingly moving on to other targets? A small portion of fans on Twitter doesn't count.

Maybe but how often does a player get sold for not reaching the heights only to then go on and be the player everyone seen years previously….usually that career momentum once gone is gone.

True, but then again there are no guarantees with any new signing. Veron and DiMaria were in their prime and world class yet they flopped at Old Trafford. Then you have players like Keane and Cantona, who were world class adjacent at best before coming to Old Trafford yet became global legends. Then you have players like Park Ji-Sung who was perhaps never world class but wildly exceeded even the most optimistic expectations.

The bet, putting legitimate concerns about the right price, is either going to be on a proven world class player returning to world class or on a player who shows glimpses (which I haven't seen) of potential world class form. It's a risk either way.

I highly doubt it, but is it related with him possibly leaving if he is not signing new contract?

I highly doubt it, but is it related with him possibly leaving if he is not signing new contract?

Nope. We need a new CB regardless. Godfrey has left and Keane and Holgate are shite.

Gives us that cover if he does leave though.

I just have this feeling we will see this picture on a Ornacle or Romano tweet in a couple of weeks

iu

Is it possible that Everton want to keep him because they actually need him as they need to have a set of good players to survive in the PL? They sold Onana already, and No one is going to pay them 80m for Branwhaite so they basically asking for "a handoff" fee to keeps teams away

Is it possible that Everton want to keep him because they actually need him as they need to have a set of good players to survive in the PL? They sold Onana already, and No one is going to pay them 80m for Branwhaite so they basically asking for "a handoff" fee to keeps teams away
I think their preference probably is to keep him yeah.

Only reason INEOS are taking their sweet time getting a player who wants to join in de Ligt, is that they still hope they can get the first player the bid for and that is Jarrad, In my humbe opnion, please don`t flame me.
No, it's because they need to sell to buy. Same reason as every position now

Probably, I'd say scoring goals is going to be a much bigger issue than conceding though. Pickford and Tarkowski are probably their 2 best players, put them in a dyche system and they'll be hard to break down even with a journeyman cb. I'd cash in to invest elsewhere, its a really poor team in parts.

Possibly. Though ten years or more of the 'United Tax' gets me thinking that had it been us after Onana, a 22 year old PL proven CM, established in the Belgian national team - and Villa after Branthwaite, a 22 year old PL proven CB, barely selected by England and overlooked for their Euro squad - then it would have still been us being demanded £70m+ for Onana, while Villa got to agree a £50m fee for Branthwaite.

Because, ability wise, there isn't £20m+ difference between the two, and midfielders of a similar calibre are usually a little more expensive, not £20m+ cheaper, than defenders. So can't help but feel this is mainly a continuation of most clubs being asked one type of price, but the United Tax always pushing up ours.

I just have this feeling we will see this picture on a Ornacle or Romano tweet in a couple of weeks

iu

The way this summer is going, I actually agree with you. I can see Everton lowering demands, Bayern not budging and we opt for Branthwaite.

The way this summer is going, I actually agree with you. I can see Everton lowering demands, Bayern not budging and we opt for Branthwaite.
Not sure why Bayern wouldn't budge but Everton would. Bayern are trying to shift him and buy a new CB. Everton don't want to sell him, said the only price they'd entertain and have 3 years left on his contract. Bayern look the obvious candidate that will fold.

Dont think Everton will budge this season. They can always sell him next season. He has 3 year contract so we should actually conduct our business and forget about him for this season.

If Everton actually come back, we should stick to 40+5m bid and tell him that we will pay 30-40k more per week

Dont think Everton will budge this season. They can always sell him next season. He has 3 year contract so we should actually conduct our business and forget about him for this season.

If Everton actually come back, we should stick to 40+5m bid and tell him that we will pay 30-40k more per week
He will never be signed on that salary.

He wants to join. Everton don’t want to sell. Unless for a fleecing fee.

It’s over for Jarrod coming to Utd this summer.