Jarrad Branthwaite

Why do we not formalise the process though? What's the argument that gentlemen's agreements are better practice than contractual release clauses?

There is no argument. It's between player, club.

Imo player who is ambitious should insist for release clause, it's has pros and cons.

That article you're all quoting says that Branthwaite is apparently on 70k yet every source up until now has said it's 35k. So either it's full of absolute shite and clickbait or everyone else is wrong.

That article you're all quoting says that Branthwaite is apparently on 70k yet every source up until now has said it's 35k. So either it's full of absolute shite and clickbait or everyone else is wrong.
Yeah, I also find that pretty hard to believe.

I don't really understand Evertons weird stance on this, 50 million is fair. Take the money and buy some decent players for your long ball relegation fight.

Redcafe listened to that Daily Mail skit, and instead of taking it as a joke went "that makes sense".

The PL is so strange that this guy gets valued anywhere close to the figures mention. Didn't even stand out in the Eredivisie.

He's physical sure, but lacks in so many areas that you'd want from a CB at a top club. No club misses out on letting Everton keep their prized possession.

A £75m value player must also be worth a relatively equivalent wage, right?

A £75m value player must also be worth a relatively equivalent wage, right?
My thoughts exactly. How can they justify to him he can’t have 160k pw while simultaneously telling us he’s so fantastic that he’s worth 75 mil?

My thoughts exactly. How can they justify to him he can’t have 160k pw while simultaneously telling us he’s so fantastic that he’s worth 75 mil?
They can justify not giving him that money because it would break their wage structure. But if they say that then they're effectively saying he's too good for them and that they want to hold his career and earning capacity back by keeping him anyway.

Transfer fees are always more than just the value of a players talent.

Everton were in need of cash earlier in the window but with a few sales they are not desperate anymore so they can ask for whatever they like.

Time will tell if it was the correct decision or not.

Do you think United would accept a 75m bid for Mainoo? He's on 20k, and the next contract won't be 160k.

Do you think United would accept a 75m bid for Mainoo? He's on 20k, and the next contract won't be 160k.

We would then have to revise his salary mate which we probably will soon enough

He has. It's been widely reported.

Yes. By who? Right now, for instance, we are talking about this because of a report from Daily Mail who thinks he already earns 70k. That is of course bullshit.

Look at what other United players earn. It would be more than Shaw, more than Martinez. More than Eriksen who joined on a free. He would be the best paid defender minus Maguire, and earn way more than the other players United have signed this window. Garnacho is probably going to get his second contract extension already, as a reward for being the only shining light in attack and being one of the most sought after talents in his age group, and he's not going to get 160k.

Haha I like it. They say he is a generational talent, except when it comes to his salary, there he is only a young player with a bit of potential. What a shitty club

They can justify not giving him that money because it would break their wage structure. But if they say that then they're effectively saying he's too good for them and that they want to hold his career and earning capacity back by keeping him anyway.
They've basically wrote the script for his agent. It'll be hard to deny him a release clause because of the above and it'll be hard to deny him equivalent wages to their top earners if not more. Watching throughout the season i didn't think he was that good, at all. Its primarily the level of regard from everton and others that made me think theres more to him than what we've seen to date.
They're basically stuck in a position where they have to put their money where their mouth is and gamble on him justifying breaking their wage structure and hoping 70m+ offers arrive. Or hold onto him for 2 / 3 years, finishing his development and him leaving just as he starts hitting his peak.
There were much, much better ways of playing this.

They've basically wrote the script for his agent. It'll be hard to deny him a release clause because of the above and it'll be hard to deny him equivalent wages to their top earners if not more. Watching throughout the season i didn't think he was that good, at all. Its primarily the level of regard from everton and others that made me think theres more to him than what we've seen to date.
They're basically stuck in a position where they have to put their money where their mouth is and gamble on him justifying breaking their wage structure and hoping 70m+ offers arrive. Or hold onto him for 2 / 3 years, finishing his development and him leaving just as he starts hitting his peak.
There were much, much better ways of playing this.

How would you have handled it if you were Everton?

Genuinely curious because I don't get the furore United fans have with them.

If I was Everton and United came knocking at my door less than 2 years removed from paying €95m for Antony and €75m for Hojlund - two players who had in around the same experience and achievements as Branthwaite at the time of their transfers without the bonus of being a home-grown player who has already shown his quality in the Premier League - I would be damn sure looking for the same transfer figure as Everton have.

If I was Everton and United came knocking at my door less than 2 years removed from paying €95m for Antony and €75m for Hojlund - two players who had in around the same experience and achievements as Branthwaite at the time of their transfers without the bonus of being a home-grown player who has already shown his quality in the Premier League - I would be damn sure looking for the same transfer figure as Everton have.
He hasn't shown much though.

Yes. By who? Right now, for instance, we are talking about this because of a report from Daily Mail who thinks he already earns 70k. That is of course bullshit.

Look at what other United players earn. It would be more than Shaw, more than Martinez. More than Eriksen who joined on a free. He would be the best paid defender minus Maguire, and earn way more than the other players United have signed this window. Garnacho is probably going to get his second contract extension already, as a reward for being the only shining light in attack and being one of the most sought after talents in his age group, and he's not going to get 160k.
It was reported as an exclusive by Ziegler and Joyce. I believe it to be reliable.

I imagine that £160k per week would be the absolute maximum he would earn including bonuses. His base fee would likely be more in the region of £120k.

Well we unsettled the player like we were clearly trying to do. I do have mixed feelings about making enemies out of Everton, we've always historically got on.

If he had 3/4 years left on his deal, they could have been in a health position but next summer he has 1 year left, so the fee they want now, will dwindle down next summer in line to what we bid.

This summer they're well within their right to ask for £70m. Next summer will be a different matter as there's variables involved.

I would have said he's not for sale, seeing as that seems to be their actual position. Thats it, no more. That would be the one and only statement floating about.
If I was hoping to actually cash in, then i'd say he's not for sale unless someone offers a really crazy fee.
The main statement i see getting recycled by them over and over again is that he's worth 70m or more and they consider him an equivalent talent to Gvardiol, Fofana and Maguire. Not even that he's worth 70m to them because he was so important just that he's worth 70m full stop.
It was too specific, its too easy to see the equivalent wage of players like that. They should have been terrified of that comparison, not actively making it. They seem to have let us talk to him and his agent and make a contract offer without agreeing a fee which was extremely dumb too. His agent can speculate how much we would offer otherwise but it would be open to debate.

I'm not annoyed by them personally just find the whole thing bemusing

Last edited:

Yeah it's very weird

I’d rather De Ligt anyway. A lot more experience at the top teams. Also we’ve already signed the best young CB in Europe.

If he had 3/4 years left on his deal, they could have been in a health position but next summer he has 1 year left, so the fee they want now, will dwindle down next summer in line to what we bid.

This summer they're well within their right to ask for £70m. Next summer will be a different matter as there's variables involved.

He has two years left next summer.

I’d rather De Ligt anyway. A lot more experience at the top teams. Also we’ve already signed the best young CB in Europe.
Branthwaite for me by some distance. United’s greatest teams have always included an excellent English core and we are losing that.

United’s new regime seem to believe Branthwaite is going to be world class and seems to be the one they would get if funds were no issue. Hope they get him

Watched De Ligt a few times in recent years and he’s been pants on every single occasion

it’ll be easier to buy him in a couple of months during everton’s closing down sale.

Branthwaite for me by some distance. United’s greatest teams have always included an excellent English core and we are losing that.

United’s new regime seem to believe Branthwaite is going to be world class and seems to be the one they would get if funds were no issue. Hope they get him

Watched De Ligt a few times in recent years and he’s been pants on every single occasion
Branthwaite for me as well. But mostly because he and Yoro are perfectly suited to playing a high line, which we need to do if we want to be a top team. De Ligt is not slow but less suited to an aggressive high line defence

For their part, Manchester United have stepped back from transfer talks for now after sporting director Dan Ashworth's last conversation with his Everton counterpart Kevin Thelwell.

It finally feels like we have competent professionals running the show. The ball is firmly in their court now.

They have a few options: they can risk keeping an unhappy player, try to pay a hefty contract they might not afford, or accept our bid. However, we now hold the upper hand in negotiations.