Jarrad Branthwaite

Well according to the wage structure thread he'd be one of your highest paid players.

Yeah, if the Yoro and Zirkzee capology wages are even in a vague ballpark of reality they're a good step below that. He's not as young but still very much in development.

But random no context wage number (gross or after taxes, with or without bonus added in, etc...) might be misleading.

Come on, 160k is far too much for him. We would have been stupid if we paid him that, and so would Everton. But they do value him at 70m, which in his eyes should justify the 160k wages. Tricky situation really.

I would assume that we have taken that gamble though since the deal he signed was until 2027, so it gives us a bit more wiggle room in terms of next summer.
A very bad one to take for the potential backfire, though. The kid has had his head turned, if not by us, then by your valuation and declaration. You’ve essentially checkmated yourselves.

A very bad one to take for the potential backfire, though. The kid has had his head turned, if not by us, then by your valuation and declaration. You’ve essentially checkmated yourselves.

We have done it in the past with Stones and it's paid off. We will see if it does again.

We have done it in the past with Stones and it's paid off. We will see if it does again.
You set a fairer price for Stones. And he was a superior talent, to boot. So again, it’s a really, really bad play from your higher ups - you’re not following the Stones template with this one.

I think they saw the Maguire price and thought we were there for the rinsing. A bad gamble given everyone knows that the Maguire fee was a disgrace.

You set a fairer price for Stones. And he was a superior talent, to boot. So again, it’s a really, really bad play from your higher ups - you’re not following the Stones template with this one.

I think they saw the Maguire price and thought we were there for the rinsing. A bad gamble given everyone knows that the Maguire fee was a disgrace.

The majority of Everton fans and Everton people rate Branthwaite higher than Stones and I'm pretty sure the price with inflation comes out to more or less the same as to what we are asking for Branthwaite.

Additionally we don't even need to offer him a new deal. He signed one in October and has 3 years left on it. If he has another great season then clubs will come in and try to negotiate a deal again.

Once the window closes he will sign contract, maybe with some sort of agreement with management that he can leave for certain price. Won't be lesser than what they quoted this summer for sure.

So one more year for the player to prove his talent, selling club will get good fee and also buying club will have more data to analyse and make the decision.

I can almost hear theother14 subreddit creating a thread to moan about this….

Once the window closes he will sign contract, maybe with some sort of agreement with management that he can leave for certain price. Won't be lesser than what they quoted this summer for sure.

So one more year for the player to prove his talent, selling club will get good fee and also buying club will have more data to analyse and make the decision.
I also wouldn't be surprised if something like this happens in the mould that Caicedo/Brighton stuff did.

The majority of Everton fans and people rate Branthwaite higher than Stones and I'm pretty sure the price with inflation comes out to more or less the same as to what we are asking for Branthwaite.

Additionally we don't even need to offer him a new deal. He signed one in October and has 3 years left on it. If he has another great season then clubs will come in and try to negotiate a deal again.
I think you are quite far off the mark. Outside the media enjoying selling the hype, he's not that highly thought of.

I feel 80-100k and a 65-75m release clause would make sense in these circumstances but seems we very rarely do that sort of thing in England.

Why do we not formalise the process though? What's the argument that gentlemen's agreements are better practice than contractual release clauses?

There is no argument. It's between player, club.

Imo player who is ambitious should insist for release clause, it's has pros and cons.

That article you're all quoting says that Branthwaite is apparently on 70k yet every source up until now has said it's 35k. So either it's full of absolute shite and clickbait or everyone else is wrong.

That article you're all quoting says that Branthwaite is apparently on 70k yet every source up until now has said it's 35k. So either it's full of absolute shite and clickbait or everyone else is wrong.
Yeah, I also find that pretty hard to believe.

I don't really understand Evertons weird stance on this, 50 million is fair. Take the money and buy some decent players for your long ball relegation fight.

Redcafe listened to that Daily Mail skit, and instead of taking it as a joke went "that makes sense".

The PL is so strange that this guy gets valued anywhere close to the figures mention. Didn't even stand out in the Eredivisie.

He's physical sure, but lacks in so many areas that you'd want from a CB at a top club. No club misses out on letting Everton keep their prized possession.

A £75m value player must also be worth a relatively equivalent wage, right?

A £75m value player must also be worth a relatively equivalent wage, right?
My thoughts exactly. How can they justify to him he can’t have 160k pw while simultaneously telling us he’s so fantastic that he’s worth 75 mil?

My thoughts exactly. How can they justify to him he can’t have 160k pw while simultaneously telling us he’s so fantastic that he’s worth 75 mil?
They can justify not giving him that money because it would break their wage structure. But if they say that then they're effectively saying he's too good for them and that they want to hold his career and earning capacity back by keeping him anyway.

Transfer fees are always more than just the value of a players talent.

Everton were in need of cash earlier in the window but with a few sales they are not desperate anymore so they can ask for whatever they like.

Time will tell if it was the correct decision or not.

Do you think United would accept a 75m bid for Mainoo? He's on 20k, and the next contract won't be 160k.

Do you think United would accept a 75m bid for Mainoo? He's on 20k, and the next contract won't be 160k.

We would then have to revise his salary mate which we probably will soon enough

He has. It's been widely reported.

Yes. By who? Right now, for instance, we are talking about this because of a report from Daily Mail who thinks he already earns 70k. That is of course bullshit.

Look at what other United players earn. It would be more than Shaw, more than Martinez. More than Eriksen who joined on a free. He would be the best paid defender minus Maguire, and earn way more than the other players United have signed this window. Garnacho is probably going to get his second contract extension already, as a reward for being the only shining light in attack and being one of the most sought after talents in his age group, and he's not going to get 160k.