Jarrad Branthwaite

Get the feeling we are gonna see a lot of Yoro vs Branthwaite YouTube edits from annoyed Everton fans this season.

This is not to dig out Utd fans, because most fans of other clubs, would sadly act the same, but this was depressing to read from the athletic. Totally except there has been a back forth between the sets of fans leading up to this but.
Find this very strange. We have very good relationship with Everton and United fans like Everton as a club and they are one of the huge clubs in England. Then there is this obvious heated rivalry towards Liverpool which makes all of us on side.

That won't change with one transfer , atleast to me.

Everton have been steadfast in their valuation of him. Problem now is, if we sign De Ligt, having already secured Yoro. Everton have a player who'll want wages equivalence with what his transfer fee demands.We clearly wanted him but good to see the board standing firm on this. Previous years we'd of paid that.

Everton have been steadfast in their valuation of him. Problem now is, if we sign De Ligt, having already secured Yoro. Everton have a player who'll want wages equivalence with what his transfer fee demands.We clearly wanted him but good to see the board standing firm on this. Previous years we'd of paid that.
I think Everton will come down on the price in the last couple of weeks of the window, assuming the player refuses to sign a new deal and tells them that he wants to leave

I think they're just trying it on. No other club is going to bid north of £50m for him.

This must be the dream scenario for Branthwaite's agent. He will now demand a much-improved contract for his client to sign a new contract as Everton clearly publicly said that he is an 80m player, and almost all 80-plus players are on 200k wages. Giving him anything above 130k per week will make him the best-paid player in Everton's history, so there's that.

I think Jarrad would want Everton to at least match what we were offering which was apparently 160k per week

I doubt we offered that, to be honest. Maybe it could've risen to that much with bonuses, like how Yoro's wages can go from 112k to potentially 145k.

Doubt we would put that on the table when we have been so adamant about 70m.
See your logic here is faltering. You guys rate him a 70-80 m player yet are only willing him to pay about 70-80 k a week? That does not add up though does it? I'm all for sticking to your valuation but based on that Everton should present a contract that represents the aforementioned.

See your logic here is faltering. You guys rate him a 70-80 m player yet are only willing him to pay about 70-80 k a week? That does not add up though does it? I'm all for sticking to your valuation but based on that Everton should present a contract that represents the aforementioned.
I'm talking about the release clause.

There are many reasons you dont want to sell a player for less than 70m. Not all of those reasons include a player's current quality, which contracts and wages tend to represent hence why still offering a player a big wage rise (aka double or a bit more than double) but then including performance enhancers onto that, may be of good value to both club and player.

Up until now it appears he wouldn't leave for less than 70m this summer even if he stays on his current deal.

I'm talking about the release clause.

There are many reasons you dont want to sell a player for less than 70m. Not all of those reasons include a player's current quality, which contracts and wages tend to represent hence why still offering a player a big wage rise (aka double or a bit more than double) but then including performance enhancers onto that, may be of good value to both club and player.

Up until now it appears he wouldn't leave for less than 70m this summer even if he stays on his current deal.
I mean, If I were the player/ his agent, I would demand a contract which reflects my valuation. If Everton value him as high as 70m, then it makes sense the player will demand a contract which represents that value. We were reportedly offering 160, you priced him out of a move so surely will compensate him with a very similar contract?

If I got an offer from another company doubling my wages, I probably wouldn't be happy if my current employer did not match that if they were so adamant on keeping me. I'm sure he'll be happy to stay for now but I would be extremely surprised if he accepted anything less than what we offered or at least close to that.
You will need to get the wallet out. I personally don't know any player valued at 70m who is on about 60-80 k personally, maybe you do?

"Generational talent worth 70m" also not worth the same wages as Calvert-Lewin, James Tarkowski or Abdoulaye Doucoure.

i wouldn't pay the fee Everton are demanding for this lad nor would i pay the fee Munich are demanding for De Ligt

We’ve got our young talent now with Yoro. We don’t need Branthwaite now and I’d MUCH rather get De Ligt in for his experience, ball playing skill and leadership

Wages of players they think he's the same standard as
Gvardiol "200k"
Maguire 190k
Fofana 200k
Van Dijk 220k

Last edited:
He’s daft if he signs a new contract, Everton will continue to price him out of a move away if he does.
Depends on the wages surely. Plenty of reports suggesting he’s on a modest wage (in terms of PL level of 30-40k a week). If Everton treble that, how can he say no when they’ve already extended his deal last season and have said he’s going nowhere unless Maguire money is paid? He’s trapped either way.

I mean, If I were the player/ his agent, I would demand a contract which reflects my valuation. If Everton value him as high as 70m, then it makes sense the player will demand a contract which represents that value. We were reportedly offering 160, you priced him out of a move so surely will compensate him with a very similar contract?

If I got an offer from another company doubling my wages, I probably wouldn't be happy if my current employer did not match that if they were so adamant on keeping me. I'm sure he'll be happy to stay for now but I would be extremely surprised if he accepted anything less than what we offered or at least close to that.
You will need to get the wallet out. I personally don't know any player valued at 70m who is on about 60-80 k personally, maybe you do?

As I said. We will see what happens. At this point it is all speculation, Including the 160k wage you offered. :)

This is not to dig out Utd fans, because most fans of other clubs, would sadly act the same, but this was depressing to read from the athletic. Totally except there has been a back forth between the sets of fans leading up to this but.

Yeah I agree with the take. In the Caf's defence there were a few posts here already sympathizing with Everton. I also felt the same way about Newcastle during their struggles with Ashley but now I regret having the sympathy. Hope Everton find good owners.

Depends on the wages surely. Plenty of reports suggesting he’s on a modest wage (in terms of PL level of 30-40k a week). If Everton treble that, how can he say no when they’ve already extended his deal last season and have said he’s going nowhere unless Maguire money is paid? He’s trapped either way.
He can easily say no to the money and refuse to sign a new contract. He doesn’t have to take the money if he wants to force a move. Plenty of players, like Rice for example, have refused to renew even when offered silly amounts. He’ll make a silly amount anyway, he doesn’t need to trap himself in the process of making a few quid today.

A club’s player valuation means nothing if no clubs are in for that player. Besides us, who is in for Brantwaithe?

As it stands the highest offer for him is what?

A young player valued at 80 million would attract more interest.

I would not be surprised if this move happens, but much closer to United‘s valuation than Everton‘s. They have created a problem for themselves.

A club’s player valuation means nothing if no clubs are in for that player. Besides us, who is in for Brantwaithe?

I would not be surprised if this move happens, but much closer to United‘s valuation than Everton‘s. They have created a problem for themselves.
Yeah I agree

The good thing is that the new people are very good at these things. I know this sort of thing is being over-said, but I genuinely think over recent years we'd have probably ended up paying the lot. I don't think that will happen any more.

United's 2 bids so far have been sensible. If it gets to late August, the player won't sign a new deal and it is only United formally at the table then I think they will have to be more realistic with what they're asking for. I don't see any other club going over £50m for him. If United end up getting him, I think it'll be for around that before add ons

It does if they are sufficiently under contract. If I tried to buy your car off you (that you didn't want to sell), offered lower than what you said you'd consider for it and told you were were being unreasonable and over valuing it - you'd think I was a complete bellend and ask why I was wasting your time.

They have created a problem for themselves.
They really have. They should have just said 'he's not for sale'
Listing Gvardiol and others and saying he's worth 70m means a new contract will be expensive.

The benefit of buying Branthwaite is its less pressing for us to then buy a left back, because Martinez is able to play at left back as well when Shaw is not fit. Buying De Ligt doesn't really help us with regard to the right back situation should we sell Maguire/Lindelof/AWB.

The people who spent tens of pages ridiculing random Everton fans for their reactions might also get a kick out of the McTominay and Smith Rowe threads right now.

The people who spent tens of pages ridiculing random Everton fans for their reactions might also get a kick out of the McTominay and Smith Rowe threads right now.
I guess the difference with this is we want to sell the player.

ten Hag reportedly doesn't, while a lot of commenters have the similar stance of sell if offer is bigger than X.
No way of knowing this for sure though. It's quite common to say you want to keep them so that you don't look like you need to sell and strengthen your negotiating position.

No way of knowing this for sure though. It's quite common to say you want to keep them so that you don't look like you need to sell and strengthen your negotiating position.

Sure, that's true.

Anyway, I'm not trying to make a serious point. A bunch of people are angry that clubs seem to value Emile Smith Rowe more than Scott McTominay, and I found that funny.

"Generational talent worth 70m" also not worth the same wages as Calvert-Lewin, James Tarkowski or Abdoulaye Doucoure.

How much are they spending on wages now? Last I see it was around 90% of their income going to wages. Can they afford to be increasing wages?

How much are they spending on wages now? Last I see it was around 90% of their income going to wages. Can they afford to be increasing wages?
We have been cutting the wage bill every season and trying to get beyond the days of signing players on too high. In the past two or three windows we have cut a bunch of players who were on 100k+. It is why if be surprised if a deal was offered to Branthwaite that exceeded 100k. There is a balance that can be met though of course.

We have been cutting the wage bill every season and trying to get beyond the days of signing players on too high. In the past two or three windows we have cut a bunch of players who were on 100k+. It is why if be surprised if a deal was offered to Branthwaite that exceeded 100k. There is a balance that can be met though of course.

I do genuinely hope that continues, because I think it's negligent that owners can let clubs get in this situation.

And I'm not even talking specifically about Everton. There are similar situations at other clubs. Even with us, we give out ridiculous contracts but we're saved by the money we generate. And then the situation further down the leagues is even more dire.