Jadon Sancho (Out) | Chelsea reach deal to sign on loan with obligation to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 7-8 million they are offering includes a wage contribution.
That's how I understood it as well : They're paying that fee upfront, the club allocates it to paying his wages (in a manner of speaking).

Maybe someone knows but I imagine in reality the loaned player still get his wage in full from the club he is contracted to originally. The wage contribution / subsidy is the upfront fee.
Seems it would be an administrative headache to have his wage payment split between two clubs operating with different laws (and currencies).

The loan fee covers most of it. If I'm not mistaken Italy's taxes on footballers are still low? Which could explain why they can get away with paying half his wages at almost no loss to Sancho (since we didn't qualify for the CL). Wouldn't be surprised if we pocket most of the EUR8M.

Genuinely not a shabby first offer if so.
I don’t think Sanchos contract would be based on after tax wages. A lower tax rate in Italy would only be a factor on a perm deal not a loan.

Attitude aside... how is he performance wise?

I don't know much about him tbh

Close spaces link-up player that can be very useful vs deep blocks in a team that has a good system and knows how to break them down. I think in a City or Arsenal team, he would often be thrown into the match off the bench in such game-states, but I don't think he'll ever offer enough to be a guaranteed starter for a top team like those two currently are. Don't expect him to be a to-feet player, though, where you give him the ball and he can make something happen out of nothing. But his link-up and movement is good.

Will only rack up good numbers if his teammates create a lot of space and time on the ball for him. You should check out his goals and assists in the Bundesliga, basically 90% of them came from such situations. Struggled in the PL and United where the system was dysfunctional and he was often left outnumbered with the ball, with no help and I can't remember him doing too many successful take-ons. The physicality and intensity of the league also swallowed him up IMO.

I wouldn't put it past him to do well in Italy, though. He would play in a dominant Juventus side that's way superior to every other team in the league bar Inter. And don't take this the wrong way, but in a league where Lautaro Martínez can look like one of the best players in the world, which he isn't even close to in reality, then Sancho can be successful too. His team will dominate their opponents way more than United did in his time at the club, and the physicality and intensity is also going to be lower.

I also think he could be a good #10, and potentially better there than on the wings. He just doesn't have the physicality, explosiveness and pace to be a game-changing winger IMO.

However, his mentality seems to be absolutely awful. He seems to be a lazy and ungrateful guy. I mean, he threw away months play time and risked his United career, just because he wasn't willing to apologize to the manager in a situation where he was absolutely in the wrong, especially after the help he received from ETH: he let him go on a months-long vacation during the season to sort out his personal issues and mental health, and also sent him on an individual training break to the Netherlands with Dutch coached recommended by him to try and get him up to speed and improve his fitness levels, and the trust he placed in him: after two seasons where he showed nothing, ETH was still considering him an important player for the 23/24 season and was planning to play him as a false 9.

Last edited:
Hope we don't sell him as clearly there's no value in the market. He's only 24 and room to grow.

Players are human. We've all done stupid unprofessional things when we are young. Is it a perfect situation? No, but we can't survive the season with Garnacho and Amad as our wingers. Rashford is useless so Sancho is the only other cover.

The loan fee covers most of it. If I'm not mistaken Italy's taxes on footballers are still low? Which could explain why they can get away with paying half his wages at almost no loss to Sancho (since we didn't qualify for the CL). Wouldn't be surprised if we pocket most of the EUR8M.

Genuinely not a shabby first offer if so.
I am with you. A €10m loan fee and them covering 75% of his reduced wages due to Europa won't be a bad deal for us. The loan fee will allow us to pay rest of the wages and get some nice little money on top. If he does well then we can sell him next window with only a year remaining on his contract for the kind of money we sold McTominay for.

It's certainly better than getting Raheem fecking Sterling in exchange from Chelsea.

If it's going to be a dry loan, still not a bad option provided juve pay full salary along with a loan fee of close to 5-6 million pounds.

That'll still get us close to 20 million (wages plus few) with another 2 years left on his contract, I'm guessing?

If it's going to be a dry loan, still not a bad option provided juve pay full salary along with a loan fee of close to 5-6 million pounds.

That'll still get us close to 20 million (wages plus few) with another 2 years left on his contract, I'm guessing?

That 5-6m will go for the part of salary we're going to have to pay on their behalf.

I am with you. A €10m loan fee and them covering 75% of his reduced wages due to Europa won't be a bad deal for us. The loan fee will allow us to pay rest of the wages and get some nice little money on top. If he does well then we can sell him next window with only a year remaining on his contract for the kind of money we sold McTominay for.

It's certainly better than getting Raheem fecking Sterling in exchange from Chelsea.

1/4 of a £250,000 = £62500 convert that in euros and it becomes 74160 euros (rounded). Turn that in a year and it becomes 3,856,320 euros which can be rounded to 4m euros. So we'll be getting 6m euros ie £5m for a player we want out and will have 1 year less in his contract. There's also zero incentive for Juventus to play him so they might use him as cover for the many wingers they bought in

He's one of them people who's got a mural but when you tell them about it (as a nice gesture) they'd say "I donno what youre on about, do you wanna get dropped down mate!?" and it makes me livid.

So we’d still be paying him £5m just to play at Juventus, then we’d be back to square one next summer? Not exactly an appealing prospect. Could be the least worst option though.

1/4 of a £250,000 = £62500 convert that in euros and it becomes 74160 euros (rounded). Turn that in a year and it becomes 3,856,320 euros which can be rounded to 4m euros. So we'll be getting 6m euros ie £5m for a player we want out and will have 1 year less in his contract. There's also zero incentive for Juventus to play him so they might use him as cover for the many wingers they bought in

£5m on top after his wages have been covered is not bad, is it?

Of course they'd play him if they are spending close to ~EUR 20m for a one year loan. He is not a youth player that they are getting for cover at that price, the intention would be to use him and help their cause in Serie A and the Champions League. Juve's forward line behind the striker is utterly mediocre and Sancho can play across the front line. Otherwise there is no reason for them to invest that kind of sum for a one year loan.

If he succeeds, we'd have more interested parties next season. Heck, if he is a hit, we may well have a chance to sell him to them for ~30m EUR or something.

Sancho is not suited to the league due to the pace and the physicality, & our manager's style of play. He'd do well in Serie A where the pace is a little slower and there is a larger emphasis on the tactical side than the physical side of the game. On top, Motta has the potential to become a top top manager and his possession style of play will suit Sancho as there would be more passing and moving of the ball and less hoofing & chasing the ball.

As soon as Juve were linked it was a non starter. The only way he goes there is if we pay pretty much everything.

It's a damning inditement of both the player and the original deal.

£5m on top after his wages have been covered is not bad, is it?

Of course they'd play him if they are spending close to ~EUR 20m for a one year loan. He is not a youth player that they are getting for cover at that price, the intention would be to use him and help their cause in Serie A and the Champions League. Juve's forward line behind the striker is utterly mediocre and Sancho can play across the front line. Otherwise there is no reason for them to invest that kind of sum for a one year loan.

If he succeeds, we'd have more interested parties next season. Heck, if he is a hit, we may well have a chance to sell him to them for ~30m EUR or something.

Sancho is not suited to the league due to the pace and the physicality, & our manager's style of play. He'd do well in Serie A where the pace is a little slower and there is a larger emphasis on the tactical side than the physical side of the game. On top, Motta has the potential to become a top top manager and his possession style of play will suit Sancho as there would be more passing and moving of the ball and less hoofing & chasing the ball.

Actually the rumor seem to be 60/40 with us paying the 40%. That will be even worse than that. However I digress. Yes from a financial perspective you're right. However ask yourself why very few clubs agree with this sort of BS. Juventus for example are nowhere near to us financially yet they insisted on Chiesa leaving even though they got a silly fee in exchange. Why do you think they did that?

The reason to that is the message you're giving within and outside the club.

From within the club you're giving the message that contracts mean jack shit at this club. If a player is unhappy then all he's got to do is to throw his toys out of the pram. Once that is done then he can cherry pick which club he wants to play next and we'll even pay a big chunk of his salary while at it. So Sancho went to Dortmund last season, then to Turin this season and who next maybe next season he might fancy Paris or London or even Liverpool while at it. What about Rashy? Shouldn't we extend Henry Winter's mate the same conditions? If he is sad can't we just send him for a student exchange to PSG? Hey Barcelona is quite nice during the winter season as well and there's plenty of places were he can drink Sangria.

From outside the club we're giving the message that we're suckers who are willing to loan 50m-80m like Sancho and Greenwood for next to nothing and even pay part of their salary while at it. Getafe took it to the next level by insisting that they get paid if United find a buyer for Greenwood after a good spell at Getafe. Why can't Juventus do the same? Are we anti Italian or something? Then we as fans wonder why no one wants to give us good offers for our players.

So there comes a time when the club have to sit with the player and tell him that only a permanent move will do this time round. We might pay some of the salary but he must leave and never return. Now its up to him and his agent to find someone willing to get him off our hands. If they fail then he'll be training with the reserves for the next 2 years or so.

'Dry' loan? When did we start classifying loans on a moistness scale?

Also, feck Juve. Obligation to buy or nothing. I wouldn't even trust them not to cheat 'Easily Achievable' purchase clauses.

Chelsea have so many players on their books, surely there’s better prospects we can have a look at.. or 2 players. They’re getting a 24 year old in exchange for a 29 year contract old.someone yet to hit their prime vs someone who’s had theirs. Not a fair swap imo.

Was it Juve who also lowballed us on Darmian, Evra, etc?

Something's fishy here. It's like whenever this season Barca are VERY INTERESTED in a player only to have 2 euros and a guided tour on the Rambla- to offer for Neco Williams/Bajcetic/etc.

Was it Juve who also lowballed us on Darmian, Evra, etc?

Something's fishy here. It's like whenever this season Barca are VERY INTERESTED in a player only to have 2 euros and a guided tour on the Rambla- to offer for Neco Williams/Bajcetic/etc.
Sorry the guided tours contract had to be terminated. They had to raise money for Flick and Olmo.

I'm becoming a little concerned that we might run out of road here.

I'm skeptical as to whether or not Juve can put together an acceptable deal (which to me would be loan + obligation), and the Chelsea swap stuff seems convoluted and unenticing.

From this point onwards, I'll be happy with Ugarte & McTominay confirmation and to see the back of Sancho.

It looked to me at one point yesterday that this would move quickly and that we may be able to pull of another sale such as maybe Lindelof, but at this stage it looks like getting Sancho out needs to be the focus.

Chelsea have so many players on their books, surely there’s better prospects we can have a look at.. or 2 players. They’re getting a 24 year old in exchange for a 29 year contract old.someone yet to hit their prime vs someone who’s had theirs. Not a fair swap imo.

Chukwemeka would be interesting one

Why don’t we just loan him back to dortmund? 10m euro loan fee. They pay 100% of wages. Everyone is happy.
Believe me, Borussia Dortmund and especially Fans would love to welcome him back also on a permanent deal.
But they can´t pay this wage. They´re ready to make him the best paid player, but that would mean about 7-8 million €.
So the only way for this move could be a loan, sharing the wages with united or a permanent move without or a very low transfer fee, maybe 5-10 million € and some boni i suggest.
But i think this wont be enough for you guys.
And Dortmund needs to find a club who signs Donyell Malen...

As soon as Juve were linked it was a non starter. The only way he goes there is if we pay pretty much everything.

What is this being based on ? Juventus regularly spend big money on players and wages? They’ve already given Villa over 50m this Summer.

Of course in Jadon’s situation, every club is gonna try to get a great deal, because it’s clear that despite the massive money we paid and his big wage, he’s finished here.
Won’t matter if it’s Juve, Bayern, Chelsea or PSG, they will all use his situation as leverage.
Juve do need players though so hopefully we can use this to our advantage and wait them out on an obligation.

What is this being based on ? Juventus regularly spend big money on players and wages? They’ve already given Villa over 50m this Summer.

Of course in Jadon’s situation, every club is gonna try to get a great deal, because it’s clear that despite the massive money we paid and his big wage, he’s finished here.
Won’t matter if it’s Juve, Bayern, Chelsea or PSG, they will all use his situation as leverage.
Juve do need players though so hopefully we can use this to our advantage and wait them out on an obligation.

And is Chiesa THAT bad that we never considered using him as part of the Sancho deal??

Status
Not open for further replies.