Jadon Sancho (Out) | Chelsea reach deal to sign on loan with obligation to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can still loan out Sancho in the next few days and sell him next summer. Sterling will be another Alexis/Ronaldo/Casemiro situation. We need to stop signing players that have played their best football for other clubs.
We can't sell Sancho. If we could we'd have done it this season, or last season. A loan does nothing for us because Juve ain't paying 300k a week wages.

A loan is a terrible idea and I'm glad we aren't considering it without obligation to buy.

Reaction from both sets of fans is hilarious

chelseafans.png

We can't sell Sancho. If we could we'd have done it this season, or last season. A loan does nothing for us because Juve ain't paying 300k a week wages.

A loan is a terrible idea and I'm glad we aren't considering it without obligation to buy.

There's always the off chance he looks good on loan. Next summer he can be moved at a much lower price, could see an Italian or even French team taking a punt. But it's true that if the wages are not partly taken on (at least half or two-thirds) it's really not doing us a lot of good.

20m and Sterling. Then Sancho is yours Chelsea. Don't know why we are doing a straight swap. They've been throwing stupid money at every player, why not us. Since we are rivals

Sterling would be reacting to one shit decision by making another shit decision.

The Sancho money is already spent. It is a sunk cost. Selling Sancho now frees up FFP for later, but we are not trying to get a deal over the line now where this sale makes it or breaks it. Sancho should be got rid of, but I don't like the idea of making a commitment eerily similar to the Schweinsteiger, Falcao, Cavani, Ronaldo 2.0, Casemiro deals. Chelsea can buy Sterling. They can fund it with a player sale in the other direction, but if that player is to be Sterling, it should be a rolling 1-year contract with wages in line with the squad. Even Fergie was against multi year contracts for players over 30. Sterling is 4 months from being 30, we really want that guy hanging around at 33, 34 on insane wages?

There's always the off chance he looks good on loan. Next summer he can be moved at a much lower price, could see an Italian or even French team taking a punt. But it's true that if the wages are not partly taken on (at least half or two-thirds) it's really not doing us a lot of good.

Honestly, with respect it's a terrible strategy. For starters no one wanted him last season or this season permanently for a fee, his value diminishes the more he drifts. Moreover he's on absolutely stupid salary, which is also why no one would buy him. We would be subsidising his wages (again!) in the hope Juve decide to buy him when they have 2-3 new wingers of their own.

There's a far better chance of Sterling adding immediate value (assuming the wages work for us), and us in turn reducing our wage bill by getting rid of Sancho.

20m and Sterling. Then Sancho is yours Chelsea. Don't know why we are doing a straight swap. They've been throwing stupid money at every player, why not us. Since we are rivals
If the deal works then sterling won't come on his 300k wages, which is the same as them giving some fee to pay off Sterling and getting Sancho.

His amortization will be about £15m next summer. I'm sure we can sell him with a bit of a payoff. Signing Sterling is creating another problem.

Sancho's got £26M due in wages (250k per week x 2 years); Sterling has £50.7M due in wages (325k per week x 3 years). If you want to make it an even swap financially Chelsea could pay us 50.7M - 26 = £24.7M. Then we'd have swapped Sancho for Sterling without changing the cost structure. If you assume Sterling is a better player/teammate it's not a terrible move.

However, clearly at minimum we could loan Sancho at and get some of his wages covered (I'd bet at least 50%). Then in that case Chelsea would have to pay us more like £40M to breakeven from a Sancho-Sterling swap compared to what we'd have to pay after loaning Sancho. Seems unlikely.

Tl;dr is it seems like there are better options than a Sancho-Sterling swap, unless Chelsea is willing to pay us £40M+ in addition. Since they probably won't do that, we shouldn't make the swap.

Sancho's got £26M due in wages (250k per week x 2 years); Sterling has £50.7M due in wages (325k per week x 3 years). If you want to make it an even swap financially Chelsea could pay us 50.7M - 26 = £24.7M. Then we'd have swapped Sancho for Sterling without changing the cost structure. If you assume Sterling is a better player/teammate it's not a terrible move.

However, clearly at minimum we could loan Sancho at and get some of his wages covered (I'd bet at least 50%). Then in that case Chelsea would have to pay us more like £40M to breakeven from a Sancho-Sterling swap compared to what we'd have to pay after loaning Sancho. Seems unlikely.

Tl;dr is it seems like there are better options than a Sancho-Sterling swap, unless Chelsea is willing to pay us £40M+ in addition. Since they probably won't do that, we shouldn't make the swap.
Get the club phoned up and let them know!

If Chelsea have to have an outgoing to balance the books I would far rather we look at Datro Fofana, Broja or another younger talent who might click and would at least give us another option to rotate up front on presumably modest wages.

If we have to do a swap to get rid of Sancho, then I’d rather we take a punt on Chiesa than Sterling. Definitely would have some sort of resale.

His amortization will be about £15m next summer. I'm sure we can sell him with a bit of a payoff. Signing Sterling is creating another problem.
So we'd have to pay him off and still have uncertainty about a fee. Doesn't sound a smart move.

As mentioned earlier, if sterling joins on lower wages and a shorter contract I don't think it presents a problem.

Again even if it was earlier this month and then the lad goes and scores a hat trick would you sell him?
This is Chelsea you’re talking about! You expect logic? I’d rather go for a promising player from Chelsea, rather than someone whose trajectory is downwards, was my implication, sorry you’ve taken umbrage with it.

This is Chelsea you’re talking about! You expect logic? I’d rather go for a promising player from Chelsea, rather than someone whose trajectory is downwards, was my implication, sorry you’ve taken umbrage with it.
You can say you want a young player but why would they sell him after this weekend? They aren’t allowed to change their minds from earlier this summer?

Sancho's on £250K + bonus reduced to £210K + bonus due to EL. Honestly if we loan him out for 3/4th of it we save £10M which isn't bad deal.

Sterling earns £325K/yr at 30. Unless you get him for 1/3 of that would make no sense for us. Rather keep Sancho or loan him to Juve which is the likely outcome here.

You can say you want a young player but why would they sell him after this weekend? They aren’t allowed to change their minds from earlier this summer?
I wouldn’t put any kind of madness past the current Chelsea board, plus they have a very large squad, that they’re actively trying to reduce. I’m not prohibiting anyone from changing their minds, so I can’t answer that question.

Wages are the big thing, if they do a swap they'll want sensible wages and a useful player. Doubt they'll do the deal unless it makes sense financially.

Right now we've got a useless player on crazy wages and contract.

You can not replace a problem with another bigger and longer problem.

Is it irrational? Sterling isn’t some unknown quantity. We all know what we’d be getting. It’s perfectly reasonable to not want him.

You could say that about sancho too, neither team is getting an advantage with this deal.

We need a CM and talks of us even entertaining the idea of signing Sterling is insane. Hopefully we will come to our senses and actually focus on getting another midfielder

I'll rather Sancho warm the bench all season than we do any deal involving a past it winger on huge wages once more.

Some select Chelsea forum opinions on signing Sancho:

It would be great to finally purchase another attacking player.

...why?

Even at his absolute best, he doesn't get into the side ahead of Madueke on current form, let alone Palmer.

I think he's a potentially a great player but I do wonder if his window for growth has passed him by due to ten Hag. He's not exactly a saleable asset if it goes tits up, either.

NOOOOOOO

stop bringing in players who wont improve the team or squad

he can't get in front of Neto/Nkunku on left (Mudryk will be back up)

he can't get in front of Madueke/Neto on right (palmer)

SO WHY BUY HIM?

Its completely crazy that we are talking about selling on a player we haven’t even signed yet but that’s the state of our transfer policy.

Signing Felix and Sancho hoping they can recapture their glory days has the same vibes as signing Pato and Falcao

This one make no sense at all. I just don’t get it. Where the f**k will everyone play? We need to reduce the squad like mad over next couple of days and we are still brining in players.

f**k sake, please God NO !

No no no no no no no f**king NO! Please god no

Could be worse I suppose. It could be Antony.

Safe to say there isn't unanimous support for the idea.

We need a CM and talks of us even entertaining the idea of signing Sterling is insane. Hopefully we will come to our senses and actually focus on getting another midfielder
Without offloading another deadwood CM, we’re definitely not signing another.

Without offloading another deadwood CM, we’re definitely not signing another.
Apart from Eriksen, there are no more CM left that we can offload. Buying Sterling just to shift Sancho makes no sense and we will have the same problems we have right now.

I would argue that sending Sancho on loan is better than shifting him for Sterling and paying his wages

Apart from Eriksen, there are no more CM left that we can offload. Buying Sterling just to shift Sancho makes no sense and we will have the same problems we have right now.

I would argue that sending Sancho on loan is better than shifting him for Sterling and paying his wages
Casemiro isn’t deadwood? That’s a new one. If they could offload him, he would be gone.

I don’t want Sterling, let’s make that abundantly clear but in the Premier League, Sterling has shown more ability at his worst than Sancho has at his best. He’s a nothing player like Antony who needs to be gone as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.