Ivan Toney Pt.2 | Signs for Al Ahli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt there's any money left for that, ideally I'd love for us to be reinforcing this summer, our wing options are terrible, particularly that LW spot.

Come on Utd don't give Chelsea free run at this, they have more than enough firepower already. Scored 6 on Sunday which tells me they don't need him

Come on Utd don't give Chelsea free run at this

You want to have Højlund, Zirkzee and Toney in the same squad? You could probably do with an experienced striker, but surely with Toney in, one of the other two suffers with their minutes?

Interesting move, especially given that one of Toney's key assets is his penalty taking which is already covered by Palmer.

You want to have Højlund, Zirkzee and Toney in the same squad? You could probably do with an experienced striker, but surely with Toney in, one of the other two suffers with their minutes?

I don't consider Zirkzee as number 9, we should have prioritised move for experienced striker this summer. Like I have said before he is what you add when the rest of those pieces are all in place

I'm not sure anyone understands exactly how Chelsea can possibly be working this whole PSR thing, but I look forward to them signing a 31 year-old on a nine year deal :)

I like Toney and reckon he'd be good for us, but not at that price, and at this age. Happy enough to let the two strikers fight it out until we can identify another one for the future.

I could stomach missing out IF (big one) by some miracle Osimhen was still on market next summer we went out and got him. Have this feeling that Arsenal might still make a move before Friday though.

What really gets my goat is, Chelsea want Toney and will pay for him, they want Sancho but want a loan deal.

What really gets my goat is, Chelsea want Toney and will pay for him, they want Sancho but want a loan deal.

People think we are an easy target to ask for loan deals after how shite we have been ran for 11 years

Don't think Chelsea actually want Sancho. I think we're happy to use Sancho to potentially offload one or two huge contracts, whilst signing him to a lower one, and I think that's the extent of our interest in him. Neither Sancho or Sterling will agree to reduce their wages at their current clubs, but both could probably be convinced to take a pay cut to join Chelsea and United.

Toney is bang average, but he'd be a better signing for Chelsea than he would be for us.

Chelsea were creating plenty of chances last year, and really just needed someone to stick the ball in the net. Jackson was spaffing sitters every week. Our problems are different.

Toney won’t be allowed to go out on loan simply because that would mean he will walk for free and unless he were to sign a new deal ( which I would imagine just ain’t gonna happen ) then he has to be sold otherwise Brentford will be millions down.Bear in mind Toney is said to be on circa £20k a week
Sancho probably needs to be sold for at least his residue fee which is circa £30 million also you have the little matter of his rumoured £250k a week wages.
As for getting your goat how do you feel when Man Utd take players on loan and then buy another one ?

Toney is bang average, but he'd be a better signing for Chelsea than he would be for us.

Chelsea were creating plenty of chances last year, and really just needed someone to stick the ball in the net. Jackson was spaffing sitters every week. Our problems are different.
Sorry I have to disagree Toney is far from bang average. No he isnt world class but he is a total nuisance and would not just be a handful but would score at least 75% of the guilt edge chances that Jackson missed

Putting some pressure on Osimhen and Napoli would be my guess for these Toney to Chelsea rumors.

Osimhen is at a real risk of missing out on a move altogether. Napoli have already replaced him with the Lukaku signing and have been so sure of selling him this window they didn't even bother inviting him for pre-season. Now PSG have backed out and Osimhen doesn't want to go to Saudi Arabia so unless something crazy happens over the next few days there are very limited options out there for him.

Up until now Osimhen has been adamant he wants a permanent move with a contract around his current salary level and has considered a loan move to be 'beneath him' but the later we get in the window he might well have to change his mind if he wants to play this season. Chelsea have always been open to a loan with a buy option (perhaps even a conditional obligation) but have considered a straight permanent transfer to be too risky, considering the amount of money involved.

Now if briefing interest in an alternative target like Ivan Toney gets the gears turning, it might be worth it to try. At this point I don't believe we'll actually sign Toney though, or at least I think we shouldn't. While he's very much a decent player I just don't think he's a clear upgrade over Jackson and it's not like we're lacking in numbers so there's very little point in bringing in a player as expensive as Toney as just another body to compete for playing time with Nico.

Putting some pressure on Osimhen and Napoli would be my guess for these Toney to Chelsea rumors.

Osimhen is at a real risk of missing out on a move altogether. Napoli have already replaced him with the Lukaku signing and have been so sure of selling him this window they didn't even bother inviting him for pre-season. Now PSG have backed out and Osimhen doesn't want to go to Saudi Arabia so unless something crazy happens over the next few days there are very limited options out there for him.

Up until now Osimhen has been adamant he wants a permanent move with a contract around his current salary level and has considered a loan move to be 'beneath him' but the later we get in the window he might well have to change his mind if he wants to play this season. Chelsea have always been open to a loan with a buy option (perhaps even a conditional obligation) but have considered a straight permanent transfer to be too risky, considering the amount of money involved.

Now if briefing interest in an alternative target like Ivan Toney gets the gears turning, it might be worth it to try. At this point I don't believe we'll actually sign Toney though, or at least I think we shouldn't. While he's very much a decent player I just don't think he's a clear upgrade over Jackson and it's not like we're lacking in numbers so there's very little point in bringing in a player as expensive as Toney as just another body to compete for playing time with Nico.

Leave him for us then

Yeah, so annoying we haven't the funds for bid
This is like old (hopefully) United thinking though. £50M on another solid but non-spectacular player when we already have two strikers we've spent big money on. It'd be a massive waste of funds; next summer we need to really focus in on true world class players to add rather than more spent on guys like Toney.

This is like old (hopefully) United thinking though. £50M on another solid but non-spectacular player when we already have two strikers we've spent big money on. It'd be a massive waste of funds; next summer we need to really focus in on true world class players to add rather than more spent on guys like Toney.
Completely agree

It's more they wan't to get rid of Sterling than the want Sancho. If we don't take any of the players oh high wages they can't shift they won't have any interest in Sancho.

They want Toney because they think he's a lot better than the strikers they have, don't think any big club thinks that of Sancho and their wingers.

He’s not going for anything like that in fairness, his price has been dropping on a weekly basis all Summer. When he eventually leaves, it’ll be for 30 tops.

He’s not going for anything like that in fairness, his price has been dropping on a weekly basis all Summer. When he eventually leaves, it’ll be for 30 tops.
£30M at absolute minimum (McT went for almost that); likely at least £40M in transfer fees. And then you're paying him, what, £200k a week for 4 years or something? So that's £40M in wages.

All-in costs are probably £80M or so to have Toney for a few years in his decline phase, when Holljund could be as good as him as early as next season. This is the kind of disastrous short-term thinking we have to stop IMO to start competing again. Incurring £80M for a 28 year old whose non-world class on a team that's not a true contender even with him makes no sense at all. We're spending enough on guys like Mount/Eriksen/Casemiro/Lindelof that we could have added 1-2 of the top ~10 young players in the world with the equivalent money spent.

I think it'd be a horrible move to add Toney, personally, given the opportunity costs.

Like fecking clockwork: expected it once the Osihmen deal fell through. They literally cannot help themselves getting involved in every single transfer saga. Carragher said the other day “players need to stop signing for Chelsea”. I think as well current Chelsea players need to “stop signing new contracts”. Nicolas Jackson, RIP.
The players have no one to blame but themselves. At Chelsea they are seen as cattle to be moved on once the latest shiny cow comes along.

Any player with a shred of ambition would do well to avoid that circus.

£30M at absolute minimum (McT went for almost that); likely at least £40M in transfer fees. And then you're paying him, what, £200k a week for 4 years or something? So that's £40M in wages.

All-in costs are probably £80M or so to have Toney for a few years in his decline phase, when Holljund could be as good as him as early as next season. This is the kind of disastrous short-term thinking we have to stop IMO to start competing again. Incurring £80M for a 28 year old whose non-world class on a team that's not a true contender even with him makes no sense at all. We're spending enough on guys like Mount/Eriksen/Casemiro/Lindelof that we could have added 1-2 of the top ~10 young players in the world with the equivalent money spent.

I think it'd be a horrible move to add Toney, personally, given the opportunity costs.

I think it’d be a terrible move too, and I bet my redcafe account weeks back on us having zero interest unless he was available for 20m on deadline day and we got stupidly tempted.

Couldn’t disagree more with your figures though, he turns 29 this season with 1 year left and out of favour, he’ll go for 30m tops and his wage will be similar to his Brentford wage, nothing about him or his career demands 200k a week man :lol:
fecking Eriksen was Brentfords best player by an absolute mile, a free transfer too, much more proven at top level and even during the silly years of wages he got a wage of 150k /week at United.
Kaveh Solhekol on Sky is already suggesting 70k /week.
If Chelsea get him it’ll be for 30m max on a 3 year deal with 1 year option (which they’ll never take) and between 70-100 k /week.

There are currently 3 PL strikers playing that have 20+ goals in a season more than once - Haaland, Salah and Vardy, there are 4 currently who have done it once, Ings, Toney, Palmer and Son - slim pickings there
He’s done it at Brentford so I fancy him to do it with United..

He’s done it at Brentford so I fancy him to do it with United..

He wouldn’t take pens here and he only scored 14 non penalty goals that season.

His other full season in the Prem he scored 7 non penalty goals.

Last season he had just 4 goals in 17 games.

I wouldn’t fancy him myself, he averages 11 non penalty goals over season in the Premier League, and that’s if he managed to play all 38 games.
It’s a pretty average record for a pretty average PL striker.

He wouldn’t take pens here and he only scored 14 non penalty goals that season.

His other full season in the Prem he scored 7 non penalty goals.

Last season he had just 4 goals in 17 games.

I wouldn’t fancy him myself, he averages 11 non penalty goals over season in the Premier League, and that’s if he managed to play all 38 games.
It’s a pretty average record for a pretty average PL striker.
Only 14 in like half a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.