Ivan Toney Pt.2 | Signs for Al Ahli

Status
Not open for further replies.
People keep saying he guarantees goals. The word guarantee is a bit of a stretch no?
Yeah but at the same time when was the last time Man Utd had a striker who scored 20 goals in a season? He would absolutely score goals for any side in the league if given the game time.

Yeah but at the same time when was the last time Man Utd had a striker who scored 20 goals in a season? He would absolutely score goals for any side in the league if given the game time.

Toney did that once with the benefit of 6 penalties. If he came to United he wouldn't be taking pens. He's not a 20 goals a season striker.

A little odd maybe that more teams aren't in for him, at least as an option. Maybe the the other teams feel sufficiently well stocked.

Its always exciting to think about getting in new strikers, but we've already brought in Hojland and Zirkzee recently, we need to let that pan out. I'd be more interested in wide attacking or midfield players, our options there feel a lot weaker.

Was he not talking league goals?

Also strange to skip Rashford if we're talking all comps.

19/20: 20
20/21: 21
22/23: 30

I didn't think so since Zlatan didn't score 20 league goals and Rashford is not a striker so why is it strange?

I didn't think so since Zlatan didn't score 20 league goals and Rashford is not a striker so why is it strange?

What does striker mean to you?

He's not a winger certainly. He's a wide forward, as Martial was in 18/19 iirc. Striker for me is a broader term and not restricted to the position of CF.

What does striker mean to you?

He's not a winger certainly. He's a wide forward, as Martial was in 18/19 iirc. Striker for me is a broader term and not restricted to the position of CF.

I have zero interest in the debate, even Rashford does not consider himself a striker

I have zero interest in the debate, even Rashford does not consider himself a striker

Fair enough, but Martial played off the left in 18/19 and wasn't at CF much.

If you're the main goal contributor in a team and score 30 goals in all comps, I'm not really sure what other word to use.

Fair enough, but Martial played off the left in 18/19 and wasn't at CF much.

If you're the main goal contributor in a team and score 30 goals in all comps, I'm not really sure what other word to use.
Good thing I didn't include Martial from 18/19 in my list then, actually no the season under Ole he played as the CF that was 18/19 was it not?
After we got rid of Lukaku Ole made Martial the main CF and that was the season he scored 23, Im sure we also have him the number 9 shirt too

EDIT: Looks like he played a mixture of both so fair enough he can be excluded, I only included him because I thought he was playing as the striker that season

Last edited:
Al Ahli playing this well to leave it so late in the window. A month ago I reckon £40M would have a few clubs interested but now they are hindered by what's left to spend. I wonder if more Saudi teansfers will happen after the UK deadline .

Al Ahli playing this well to leave it so late in the window. A month ago I reckon £40M would have a few clubs interested but now they are hindered by what's left to spend. I wonder if more Saudi teansfers will happen after the UK deadline .

They apparently have put in a bid for Marcos Leonardo as well as Osimhen and can only sign 1 out of the 3.... so maybe watch this space

Eh? I said “if” multiple times there.

And I’ll still maintain, if Chelsea come in with 30m now and Toney insists he’s only interested in Chelsea, they’ll sell him for that.
Brentford are desperate to make money off him so they have likely been crossing their fingers that no-one else fancies him & that Saudi is his only option.

Gonna be quite telling if not a single PL club fancied him.
Nice attempt to save face after it's looking likely that he is moving to Saudi for 35m/40m.

Wasn't needed, though. I don't care.

Nice attempt to save face after it's looking likely that he is moving to Saudi for 35m/40m.

Wasn't needed, though. I don't care.

I’m not saving face, if he goes to Saudi for 35m-40m and no PL club wanted to pay that for him, that’s telling in itself.
It’s great business for Brentford, as it often is with Saudi deals, they always seem to pay a premium over how real clubs value players, but it’s a real shame for the player. Great money but a shit way to spend the peak of your career, can’t help but think he was desperate for a big club to save him from that fate and that’s why it’s gone down to deadline day (as DD has no meaning for Saudi deals).

Last edited:
I don't think any Premiership club wants to match both Brentford's valuation of the player or the wages he supposedly wants.

Very good player but probably not worth the punt by big clubs for the fee, especially given his age.

Also don't blame him for going. Probably the only big contract of his career. He probably peaked a little late in his career and then had a big domestic move curtailed by his ban. Best of luck to him.

Very good player but probably not worth the punt by big clubs for the fee, especially given his age.

Also don't blame him for going. Probably the only big contract of his career. He probably peaked a little late in his career and then had a big domestic move curtailed by his ban. Best of luck to him.
Nail on the head.

:lol: Toney's is better simple mathematics'

Very fine margins for 40 million quid. I like Toney, but that much money for a 28 year old with 25 open play PL goals to his name, isn’t great.

I think Brentford overplayed their hand early doors and I also think most big clubs have someone who they fancy can get more goals than him over the course of the season from open play.

Even Hojlund already got 10 last season in a disfuncional team as a 20 year old.

I've had three significant run-ins with gambling addictions in my life. One with an employee, two in extended family. None of them turned a corner for good.

I know people who have. But yeah it will always be a vulnerability. being a footballer probably involves a lot of boredom. You can't party and sex addiction can get you into huge trouble. You need to have the right mindset to handle it.

I would take him on a year loan with obligation to buy. Probs better options next year but we are short of goal scorers. If he can press that is. Don't want a Ronaldo goal hanger.

Last edited:
Not the one I wanted the most, but for €40m? We should have been there Brentford would be asking for £60m from us

Not the one I wanted the most, but for €40m? We should have been there Brentford would be asking for £60m from us

Yeah bit of a shame, just gotta hope Ruud can turn Rasmus into predator when he returns

Status
Not open for further replies.