Ivan Toney Pt.2 | Signs for Al Ahli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he'll go to Saudi. He's been on League 1 money for most of his career. This will be his last big contract, may as well cash in.

Yeah reckon they have given Brentford an offer in that £50-£60m mark which is I why they pulled him out

If it is a Saudi club so be it but I think we’ll regret the opportunity. Just makes too much sense to bring him in. Good age profile to allow Hojlund to grow into the long term no.9 if he keeps improving.

I totally agree but we spent our striker budget on Zirkzee, might be different story if we could have sold Sancho earlier in window though

Come on United, go all out for him. We can't rely on Hojlund and Zirkzee to be regular goal scorers.

Outside of penalties, which he won't be taking here, Toney's goal scoring record over the last three seasons isn't all that impressive.

We could probably do with another proper centre forward though, which Zirkzee doesn't appear to be but midfield really should be the priority at the moment.

Not saying he wouldn't do a job but think it's difficult to see happening given the investment we've put into Hojlund and Zirkzee.

Id just stay and run my contract down rather than go to Saudi.
He’s got 6-12 months max in that league before he’s back in England as well. I guess the allure of a bumper contract even for one season is too much to turn down.

Not saying he wouldn't do a job but think it's difficult to see happening given the investment we've put into Hojlund and Zirkzee.

Yeah was never happening after that, fair play to Al Ahli if they have put up what Brentford wanted. Says to me teams in Premier League weren't willing to pay that fee for him which is understandable.

State of it if he goes to Saudi.

Not surprising. He's had 3 years in the Premier league? Probably has only been making really good money for a few years and has an expensive lifestyle now. A few years in Saudi would be his pension.

If he goes to Saudi then it says everything about him. Goodbye to England, World Cup, Champions League.

He could sit tight for a year and get a freebie next year instead of taking the only big offer on the table.

Would be a waste.

If he goes to Saudi then it says everything about him. Goodbye to England, World Cup, Champions League.

He could sit tight for a year and get a freebie next year instead of taking the only big offer on the table.

Would be a waste.
What does it say? He's got only a few years left, waiting another year on low wages isn't ideal for him.

Would be a waste.

Yeah or sit tight and see if anyone is willing to negotiate a fair price for him before window shuts. Shame, I do wonder if he had gone there if we were still looking to sign striker

Would be a waste.
He's not getting the first two regardless, because Watkins is a younger hungrier version of him

Not surprising. He's had 3 years in the Premier league? Probably has only been making really good money for a few years and has an expensive lifestyle now. A few years in Saudi would be his pension.
He's just got into the England squad though and he was the one giving it the bigun when he came back, saying he'd prove the doubters wrong (no one was ever doubting him). That will show everyone, I'll go to Saudi!

He's just got into the England squad though and he was the one giving it the bigun when he came back, saying he'd prove the doubters wrong (no one was ever doubting him). That will show everyone, I'll go to Saudi!

Yeah definitely a case of taking the money

Would be a waste.
Maybe it's a smart move for a gambling addict in a career with a limited shelf life.

He wasn't realistically gonna get the move he was dreaming of in England so an offer that takes him away from betting culture and makes the next decade or two of his life comfortable beyond measure might not be the waste you think it is.

Can't believe he's going to go to Saudi.
He's 28, probably hasn't earned as much as he could have in his career playing for Brentford (more than most of course) and he had a gambling problem.

Of course, I don't know if he was placing £5 bets or £50,000 - but I'm guessing when you earn a lot you probably place a lot too.

Hence Saudi for him might be a good option at this point in his career as this will be his final big money earning contract.

Would be a waste.
He’s probably been offered more that he’d get next summer as a freebie. So if they have given Brentford an offer that they’ve accepted why wouldn’t he?

Looks like he’ll be a deadline day signing if we were to go in for him

He’s probably been offered more that he’d get next summer as a freebie. So if they have given Brentford an offer that they’ve accepted why wouldn’t he?

Yeah very true, just will always wonder if we would have been interested had we not signed Zirkzee

Yeah very true, just will always wonder if we would have been interested had we not signed Zirkzee
Perhaps but we’ve gone for a different profile as we only play 1CF and we’re all in on Rasmus. Thats why I could never see him coming here with his profile

Have a feeling that he will go to Arsenal.
If they wanted him, he'd be there already. It's not like they're cash strapped like us or have already spent a lot of money this window on other positions.

Respect to Toney when you read that he's not signed a contract with them since joining from Peterborough. He's likely spent 5 years on very modest wages in comparison to his teammates, who have been signed in the prem and are less integral to the squad. He's likely cost Brentford very little for his output

Good luck to him getting what is likely to be the only seriously big contract of his career

Perhaps but we’ve gone for a different profile as we only play 1CF and we’re all in on Rasmus. Thats why I could never see him coming here with his profile

I would have no issue whatsoever passing on him if I was certain Rasmus could score 20 plus goals when he gets fit this season. It's just that nagging little concern that is making me wish we could have added Toney as well.

I would have no issue whatsoever passing on him if I was certain Rasmus could score 20 plus goals when he gets fit this season. It's just that nagging little concern that is making me wish we could have added Toney as well.
He scored 16 goals in his first season at the club in a new league. You think it's going to take a miracle for him to score 4 more than that ?

He scored 16 goals in his first season at the club in a new league. You think it's going to take a miracle for him to score 4 more than that ?

Maybe it's also that thing about Zirkzee saying he doesn't seem himself as a number 9, leaves me thinking we have one striker in the whole squad which feels too short.

Maybe it's also that thing about Zirkzee saying he doesn't seem himself as a number 9, leaves me thinking we have one striker in the whole squad which feels too short.
He's not your traditional no.9 in that he likes to drop deep to get on the ball but he is still a striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.