Ivan Toney Pt.2 | Signs for Al Ahli

Status
Not open for further replies.
A loan with an obligation...to what? Sign him on a free next summer :lol:
I imagine there will be some clause where if anyone loans him, they will get some money for him at the end of the season. Or maybe his deal is put on hold while he's at another club. Its the only way I imagine anyone would loan him out, in his last year.

I don't see how we can accommodate Hojlund, Zirkzee and Toney. We play with 1 striker, and neither of them can play on the wings or behind the striker. They're all number 9 or false 9.
The link to another striker doesn't make any sense to me either, if we want to improve the attack, get rid of Sancho and Antony and then go get Williams.

Brentford are still holding out for at least £60m for Ivan Toney in this window, although interested clubs such as Chelsea and Manchester United may yet test that stance with the offers of loans with obligations to buy late in the window.

Brentford are pretty stupid if true, they'll lose him for nothing next summer.

I imagine there will be some clause where if anyone loans him, they will get some money for him at the end of the season. Or maybe his deal is put on hold while he's at another club. Its the only way I imagine anyone would loan him out, in his last year.

It just makes no sense, I'd imagine many clubs would want to finalize any deal after the PSR date in 2025 and that would be after his contract expires.

I don't see how we can accommodate Hojlund, Zirkzee and Toney. We play with 1 striker, and neither of them can play on the wings or behind the striker. They're all number 9 or false 9.

I think they could all play in a 2, but we are never dropping Bruno/Garnacho

Couldn't really blame him for taking £350K a week from the Saudis. He's never going to make that much anywhere else.
Gambling is strictly prohibited in Saudi Arabia under Islamic law. The country has a strict moral code, and all forms of gambling are considered haram (forbidden). The government enforces this law rigorously, and those found guilty of gambling can face severe punishments, including imprisonment and flogging.

Brentford are pretty stupid if true, they'll lose him for nothing next summer.
Seeing as PL survival is worth £60mil and his replacement at Brentford is out for awhile, you can understand the high price. Looks more of a deterance than wanting to sell.

I don’t think he’d make much sense with Hojlund and Zirkzee already in the team. He’s still quite young and would expect to play more or less regularly, blocking the path to both of them. What we need is a cheap backup striker like Haller who could fill the void when others are injured, and step in for late minutes to relief first choice striker.

I don’t think he’d make much sense with Hojlund and Zirkzee already in the team. He’s still quite young and would expect to play more or less regularly, blocking the path to both of them. What we need is a cheap backup striker like Haller who could fill the void when others are injured, and step in for late minutes to relief first choice striker.

What about Morata as cheap backup?

I see you still haven't let this go.

I see you still haven't let this go.
I also admitted Morata would be a decent target. I just named Haller as he fits the bill and obviously being a former Ajax/Utrecht player would make him a very obvious target.

I also admitted Morata would be a decent target. I just named Haller as he fits the bill and obviously being a former Ajax/Utrecht player would make him a very obvious target.
Riiiiight. The bolded is what I meant about you still going on about it as if that's the only thing we look for in our targets.

I thought at some point you would get bored of this act but you seem to be going strong. Kudos to you.

Riiiiight. The bolded is what I meant about you still going on about it as if that's the only thing we look for in our targets.

I thought at some point you would get bored of this act but you seem to be going strong. Kudos to you.
It’s definitely one of the factors we look at. I called us going after De Ligt well before we were even linked, just purely by knowing we would need a defender.

Think both us and Brentford need to cut our asking price for DCL/Toney if we don't want them to leave for a free. Both need to go down around 10-20m really.
We don’t have any FFP concerns though so £10-20m we’d just keep him for a year - different story with DCL and Everton though I expect.

A loan with an obligation...to what? Sign him on a free next summer :lol:
This is the deal we did with Arsenal and Raya to get them out of an FFP hole - he went on loan but extended his contract a year with an option that was really an obligation to buy this summer. So not completely as crazy a scenario as you might think.

It’s definitely one of the factors we look at. I called us going after De Ligt well before we were even linked, just purely by knowing we would need a defender.
Interesting. You have a source for this?

Interesting. You have a source for this?
Like literally our transfers for the last 3 years. Nearly our entire back is Ajax players.

Last edited:
Like literally our transfers for the last 3 years. Nearly our entire back is Ajax players.
And you think them playing for Ajax is the only reason we targeted them ? Nothing to do with them being better than what we had? Anyways I can see this is a pointless discussion when you have no credible source and not the thread for it too.

And you think them playing for Ajax is the only reason we targeted them ? Nothing to do with them being better than what we had? Anyways I can see this is a pointless discussion when you have no credible source and not the thread for it too.
Not the only reason, no. A factor, definitely yes, in fact I can’t even believe someone would be so naive to deny this.

At no point in our history have we ever signed this many players for this much money who had a previous with the same club. I’m not even sure we would be able to find another club who over the course of 3 seasons would purchase this many players for this much money who in recent 4-5 years played for the same club.

It clearly is a factor contributing to our acquisitions.

We don’t have any FFP concerns though so £10-20m we’d just keep him for a year - different story with DCL and Everton though I expect.
Sorry, by going down 10-20m I mean if you're wanting 60, I think 40-50 is a more realistic price and if we want 40, then 20-30 is a more realistic price.

I don’t understand the links to Toney at all. He had a bit of a purple patch but has been quite rubbish since he returned from his ban. But that isn’t even the biggest issue. We play a one striker system and have Hojlund and Zirkzee, a third striker who isn’t a young prospect, just isn’t necessary and is a poor allocation of resources. He doesn’t have any versatility to play other positions and he has question marks over his temperament. And that’s before we mention he’s 28 and available on a free next season. Anything over 25m is too much for him, maybe 30m tops; and not to United who don’t need him.

If we don’t play either Hojlund or Zirkzee for availability or tactical reasons, we’ll either play Rashford or Garnacho there or go with a false 9. All available resources at this point should be dedicated to midfield and left back. No point signing another striker when the biggest problem we have is getting service to the strikers.

This summer seems to have clear objectives. Solidify defense, move on the extra extra wages, and add a midfielder(s). Dont think we are seriously in for him. Seems more like the media want this to happen.
Not to add his age, price, and gambling issues this just doesnt make sense.

Now if next season we are still not racking up the numbers and improving the goal difference, then I think we will go big for the attacking department.

Reactions: Cheimoon
I really don't understand why we keep getting linked with a move for Toney. Having brought in Zirkzee, another CF is one of our least prioritised needs.
I'd have bet money on him moving to Spurs, but obviously they signed Solanke. Maybe Chelsea or Arsenal might be tempted to move for Toney.

Status
Not open for further replies.