Ivan Toney Pt.2 | Signs for Al Ahli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best hope for a decent fee now is oil money I reckon either Saudi or maybe even City for a stopgap replacement for Alvarez.

Still think he'd do a good job at United but the money isn't there to make that happen.
How much you guys are asking and how much you think would be enough?

Jesus, is this still going on? We have two strikers, take the 3rd one out of the own academy. Hell, even in a doom scenario and everyone gets injured we still have Rashford as an option. Sign a midfielder!

How much you guys are asking and how much you think would be enough?
At this stage no idea :lol: although we are quite happy to let it run to the end of the window so hoping for panic and an auction I suspect.

Jesus, is this still going on? We have two strikers, take the 3rd one out of the own academy. Hell, even in a doom scenario and everyone gets injured we still have Rashford as an option. Sign a midfielder!
This thread consists of a Brentford supporter trying to flog him, 2 or 3 United fans who seem obsessed with him and the rest of us saying it’s not going to happen

It’s almost like we finished last season with a negative goal difference, one of our strikers is injured and one has never played a minute in the premier league! Madness!

It’s almost like we finished last season with a negative goal difference, one of our strikers is injured and one has never played a minute in the premier league! Madness!
Well, Hojlund had the best conversion rate in the PL last season, but he didn’t get enough chances. That was one of our main problems last season, it wasn’t because we were missing Toney to tuck them in.
This season we’ve brought in 2 to help Hojlund.
Context

So spending somewhere between 40m - 80m (it was 100m quoted at one time) for a 29 year old who is out of contract next summer, is smart? Its the opposite of smart.
Ah ok so we've gone from Toney's ability being over hyped to being too expensive given his age and contract situation - got it. Totally understand you not liking a player and not wanting United to pay a bunch of money that could invested elsewhere but my point really was that you are wrong about him being over hyped and wrong to back up that argument by claiming he wasn't first choice for Brentford. He is a player who, in the last few seasons, has only seen his trajectory going up in terms of levels he is able to perform at, not hype but facts.

We aint signing a midfielder without offloading one first and given the McTominay deal collapsed that doesnt look to be happening this window

This thread consists of a Brentford supporter trying to flog him, 2 or 3 United fans who seem obsessed with him and the rest of us saying it’s not going to happen
Those making the important decisions at the top use this place as barometer right or am I wasting my time :lol:

Ah yes and messiah Toney will lead the club to greater heights I presume? And once they're all fit we have healthy competition for our single CF spot. Who's going to supply them, Casemiro from his wheelchair and McTominay who is also (not so) secretly a CF? Lovely.

He would be very useful. Anyone who doesn’t think so hasn’t really watched him play.

The issue is the asking price and the available funds and how badly the rest of the squad needs investment.

His attitude and abrasive personality also come into the mix. It was rumored to be what put Arteta off and I imagine other clubs have a slight concern.

We aint signing a midfielder without offloading one first

Would you like to bet?

Can be money or anything else you think is fun.

We will sign a midfielder before selling one (I doubt we will even sell one unless a rogue bid comes in for Eriksen)

At this stage no idea :lol: although we are quite happy to let it run to the end of the window so hoping for panic and an auction I suspect.
If it goes to the very end of the window then I think you guys would panic the most. No? Your club can’t afford to lose 30-40m if no one comes in because of the high price. Infact no club can afford to lose that money even ours due to PSR.

No midfield signing would be negligent
I dont disagree with that statement. It would be negligent but as it stands we dont seem to have the funds available to just go and add another body to the midfield without selling either Casemiro, McTominay, Eriksen, Gore or Hannibal. The latter two likely wouldnt fetch much given our selling skills from the last number of years. We should have bitten Fulhams hand off when it hit 20m for McTominay and then done some creative accounting to bring someone in.

He's not good enough to start for those sides and he's too expensive and wouldn't be happy with a bench role.

Spurs made their choice, Solanke. Chelsea have invested in young strikers. We have brought in Zirkzee and that young lad from Arsenal who has allegedly been promised 3rd spot. Arsenal is his last big hope and they don’t seem interested. Is there a reason none of the big boys are biting?

Because in a years time he will be free and won’t cost whatever figure Brentford pick out if their arse, for a player that’s not even first pick for them.

Toney is the epitome of hype.
I just couldn't disagree more with both of you. Maybe I'm wrong, but every time I watch Toney I feel he's made for a top club. I'm not saying we should sign him (I'm personally really excited about Zirkzee) but I am baffled that no one is in for him; in my opinion he'd be an instant starter anywhere other than City.

If it goes to the very end of the window then I think you guys would panic the most. No? Your club can’t afford to lose 30-40m if no one comes in because of the high price. Infact no club can afford to lose that money even ours due to PSR.
AFAIK we aren't in any desperate need to sell for PSR reasons so can hold our nerve a bit but £40m would still represent a massive profit so who knows.

I just couldn't disagree more with both of you. Maybe I'm wrong, but every time I watch Toney I feel he's made for a top club. I'm not saying we should sign him (I'm personally really excited about Zirkzee) but I am baffled that no one is in for him; in my opinion he'd be an instant starter anywhere other than City.
Careful now people might think you are a Brentford fan trying to sell him ;)

Only way I can see us buying Toney (or some other striker) is if we manage to sell Sancho and/or Antony.

Perhaps City will get him as Haaland is their only ST atm.

We need a DM first, then a LB. Toney would be a cherry on the cake signing. But I would only bid 30 mill if no one else comes in for him and see if they get desperate at the last few days if the window. If Arse, Chelsea pay 45/50 then good riddance.

We need a DM first, then a LB. Toney would be a cherry on the cake signing. But I would only bid 30 mill if no one else comes in for him and see if they get desperate at the last few days if the window. If Arse, Chelsea pay 45/50 then good riddance.

Yeah either can have him at that price, I would go maybe 35 plus addons at max but ideally no more than 30 plus addons.

Turns out that tweet quoted about trying to sign him was from an article by Delaney saying that Brentford are holding out for £60m (yeah good luck).

The full story is actually us and Chelsea could propose loan offers with obligation to buy near the end of window.

Last edited:
Brentford are still holding out for at least £60m for Ivan Toney in this window, although interested clubs such as Chelsea and Manchester United may yet test that stance with the offers of loans with obligations to buy late in the window.

Brentford are still holding out for at least £60m for Ivan Toney in this window, although interested clubs such as Chelsea and Manchester United may yet test that stance with the offers of loans with obligations to buy late in the window.

28 year old gambling addict with 1 year left on his contract. Good luck with that. Id be surprised if someone forks out 50.

Think both us and Brentford need to cut our asking price for DCL/Toney if we don't want them to leave for a free. Both need to go down around 10-20m really.

60m on 28yo Toney with one year left on his contract would rival the Mount and Antony transfer in stupidity

60m on 28yo Toney with one year left on his contract would rival the Mount and Antony transfer in stupidity

Hear hear..

25 PL goals in 86 matches according to Transfermarkt, excluding penalties..

He is a good player and would definitely add something to our squad, but even considering him for that money is beyond reason..

Yup, he's available on a free next year and max we can think of is a low ball offer in January. Besides, we really should give our existing forwards decent chance

I don't see how we can accommodate Hojlund, Zirkzee and Toney. We play with 1 striker, and neither of them can play on the wings or behind the striker. They're all number 9 or false 9.

Toney or DCL would be bad enough signings on a free. I'd rather have paid £50m for Solanke.

Only way I can see us buying Toney (or some other striker) is if we manage to sell Sancho and/or Antony.

Perhaps City will get him as Haaland is their only ST atm.

Could see us selling Sancho but will be twists and turns, however there seems little interest in Antony

Status
Not open for further replies.