Ivan Toney Pt.2 | Signs for Al Ahli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zirkzee can play all 4 front positions (as Erik said). We need Toney. More than Ugarte and De Ligt.
I know that it is not the case but he should be our absolute priority right now.
I think you will be in a very small minority with that view.

Are you serious? we have plenty of players who can score but we fail to create chances, Hoijlund has an 55% shot conversion rate, problem is he only had limited chances, Rashford, Garnacho, Bruno, Zirkzee, Mount, and potentially Sancho and Amad are all capable of getting 15 goals+ each, the problem is that the midfield and defence are not functioning correctly, sort out the midfield and defence which we hopefully have gone a long way towards if we sign De Ligt, Mazraoui and Ugarte, add in Collyer and Amass, and the attack should improve. Signing Toney is like fitting a new turbo to a car with a broken rear axle and asking why it still doesn't run! .... spending money on another attacker when we have bigger issues is lunacy
Toney would add different dimension in our attack. You would be surprised how dominant striker can change whole attacking play.
Just my opinion. I am aware that it is not happening and that we will start with Zirkzee or Rashford against Fulham.

The fact he's PL experienced, and scored 14 then 21 goals for Brentford the seasons before last, and it seems obvious that he will get more chances playing for United.

Hojlund's first season in the PL: 0.42 non-penalty goals per 90 in a team that created 57 goals & 56.5 xG.

Toney's best season in the PL: 0.43 non-penalty goals per 90 in a team that created 58 goals & 56.3 xG.

Hojlund matched Toney's best rate of returns in his very first season, in teams that were almost exactly as creative.

The idea that Toney's track record suggests he'd score significantly more goals than what we already have isn't even a bad football opinion, it's just bad maths. Penalties and minutes distort season totals and need to be adjusted for.

Why do you use the word “dominant” about Toney?
He can bully defenders and is focal point in attack. He knows how to shield the ball and play with the back to the goal if needed. Can score, can assist and has solid pace. He would be by miles our best striker.

I think we've all forgotten what it's like to have a decent experienced PL proven striker at the club, and so think we don't need one.

Hojlund, Zirkzee, and a 16 year old kid, has lack of goals once again written all over it.

Toney wouldn't be the first choice, but he'd still likely get 20-25 goals, which has to be a good thing.

Exactly right, however we just can't afford one

Normally I’d agree he’s just a kid but supposedly that’s what he’s been told
I guess we need to see a) how Zirkzee performs for us, and b) just how good this kid actually is. I guess there’s a chance he could be a Rooney regen and up to the men’s game at 16. It’s a bit of a risk though, especially if Rasmus keeps breaking down.

Hojlund's first season in the PL: 0.42 non-penalty goals per 90 in a team that created 57 goals & 56.5 xG.

Toney's best season in the PL: 0.43 non-penalty goals per 90 in a team that created 58 goals & 56.3 xG.

Hojlund matched Toney's best rate of returns in his very first season, in teams that were almost exactly as creative.

The idea that Toney's track record suggests he'd score significantly more goals than what we already have isn't even a bad football opinion, it's just bad maths. Penalties and minutes distort season totals and need to be adjusted for.

I think we've all forgotten what it's like to have a decent experienced PL proven striker at the club, and so think we don't need one.

Hojlund, Zirkzee, and a 16 year old kid, has lack of goals once again written all over it.

Toney wouldn't be the first choice, but he'd still likely get 20-25 goals, which has to be a good thing.

Only if he gets the pens and we go back to that mad season we had so many pens given!

So many people ignoring Zirkzee. Is this because they haven’t seen him play yet?

Even if that many haven't a quick search will show you that he's scored 14 in 58 over the last 2 seasons, so it would be fair to think that he might not score that many for us this season, and that we need an experienced goal scorer still if we don't want a repeat of last season.

Even if that many haven't a quick search will show you that he's scored 14 in 58 over the last 2 seasons, so it would be fair to think that he might not score that many for us this season, and that we need an experienced goal scorer still if we don't want a repeat of last season.
And Toney is an experienced goalscorer? Remove the penalties snd look at the stats. I’ll say no more because I think it’s a non issue, we clearly don’t have loads of money to throw around so spending 40m on a player Brentford don’t even select is not gonna happen

I love Toney but I don't think he should be brought in for his goalscoring. I reckon he would get 20 here even if he wasn't on penalties but I also reckon Hojlund can do that, Rashford can definitely do that, Zirkzee may even be able to.

I think what he offers is someone who has real authority and self belief up front. Will bully other teams and make the rare transitional moments when we are getting dominated into frequent instances that chance the entire complection of matches.

His ability to win first balls, find space between centre backs and still dictate the ball, interplay and general experience as a seasoned pro would make a difference.

I quite like Hojlund and Zirkzee looks fun but no defender on the planet would rather play against Toney than them. Those who keep going on about his penalties making up a lot of his goals would adore him within a month of him being here.

Won't happen though.

If I played up front for Utd we would make very few scoring opportunities as a side because I'd probably feck most of them up.

I'm not saying Hojlund did that but it's a pretty significant possibility that Toney may make a lot better runs and position himself better than Hojlund and suddenly our xg goes up.

If I played up front for Utd we would make very few scoring opportunities as a side because I'd probably feck most of them up.

I'm not saying Hojlund did that but it's a pretty significant possibility that Toney may make a lot better runs and position himself better than Hojlund and suddenly our xg goes up.

Yes, but you could equally make the same argument in reverse.

Especially as (as of the end of Toney's ban) Brentford themselves scored and created slightly more per game without him over the preceding two seasons.

GERjulRXwAA6kcD

I don't think Brentford were actually a better side without Toney, but nor do I think he's shown any sign of being the sort of striker who would suddenly spark our team into functioning in a way it doesn't without him.

I don't see Zirkzee as a number 9, more of a wide forward. I agree we need a FB (can ideally play both sides) and DM & CM
He isn’t a wide forward. He is more of a 9/false 9/#10 cause he is best with his back to the goal. If he can hold up the balls Onana holds up the field he will be pivotal in starting counter attacks.

Yes, but you could equally make the same argument in reverse.

Especially as (as of the end of Toney's ban) Brentford themselves scored and created slightly more per game without him over the preceding two seasons.

GERjulRXwAA6kcD

I don't think Brentford were actually a better side without Toney, but nor do I think he's shown any sign of being the sort of striker who would suddenly spark our team into functioning in a way it doesn't without him.

What time period specifically does that graphic cover?

What? I haven't mentioned Toney.

I'm worried about where the goals are going to come from. We've had two low scoring seasons and all we've done to improve that is sign a young player that isn't know for scoring and a 16 year old. I don't think that we'll go for another SC but it doesn't mean that we don't need one or we'll need our wide players to get good numbers.

Never said he was.
Fair enough

IF we were willing to give this kid from Arsenal a chance at backing up Zirkzee for first few weeks then wouldn't be so bothered. I can't see that happening with reliable sources saying Sancho will play false 9 until Rasmus returns

IF we were willing to give this kid from Arsenal a chance at backing up Zirkzee for first few weeks then wouldn't be so bothered. I can't see that happening with reliable sources saying Sancho will play false 9 until Rasmus returns
If anyone is going to play as a false 9 it's going to Bruno

Would be pointless before getting a midfielder.

I'm 99% sure that this is just agent talk and we have very little intention of spending £40m on Toney.
We don't have money and it is agent's BS but in truth, 40 mil for Toney is a bargain these days.

We don't have money and it is agent's BS but in truth, 40 mil for Toney is a bargain these days.

Yeah, my first thought was that is a very reasonable price for him. Smells like a deadline panic signing after we get pumped by Fulham :p
It's really not considering he has 1 year left on his contract with no intention of extending it and not to mention him missing 6 months of football last season and looking useless after coming back and consequently losing his place.

Look at the offers we are getting for AWB and MCT. How can you guys think £40m is reasonable? Toney is really really overrated over here.

Would take him for 40. But we would have to move sancho or antony first, and that is looking almost impossible.

We literally bought a striker earlier this window, are struggling massively to raise funds just to bring in a singular midfielder when we need full changeover in that department, yet we’re still in for Toney. Laziest journalism Ice come across in years. Will pop out my left nut and throw it in the ocean if that happens this window.

What's the point of getting Toney before signing a DM? If we had 40m we would have spent that already.

It's about the max we should be spending on him. He's 28 and his scoring record isn't all that, not to mention his off-field antics.
What are exactly his off field antics? He has/had betting issues and got a ban for it. What else is there?

Yeah, my first thought was that is a very reasonable price for him. Smells like a deadline panic signing after we get pumped by Fulham :p
He’s out of contract next season and he missed 6 months of last season by been banned. I can’t see Utd going near him considering we are light in midfield and Also a CB

Status
Not open for further replies.