Ivan Toney Pt.2 | Signs for Al Ahli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toney is a cornflakes dream of a small number of posters

Zirkzee will replace Hojlund or perhaps false 9, we won’t be spending money on Toney

Yeah I'm happy to be in the minority, however agree it's not going to happen despite Rasmus injury

Why is Ducker pushing for Toney so much? I don't even think we are that interested yet Ducker keeps mentioning his name time and again. And if we wanted an experienced striker we would have went shopping for one on the cheap(Toney isn't going to be cheap) already instead of going for Zirkzee.

Why is Ducker pushing for Toney so much? I don't even think we are that interested yet Ducker keeps mentioning his name time and again. And if we wanted an experienced striker we would have went shopping for one on the cheap(Toney isn't going to be cheap) already instead of going for Zirkzee.
Paid by the agent in some way. Forgot who it was who also does puff pieces by Rashford, winter or ducker.

I still think there might be something in it IF the price is around the £35m mark, Ducker is generally a strong Utd source and didn't Whitwell reference him the other day as well.

Paid by the agent in some way. Forgot who it was who also does puff pieces by Rashford, winter or ducker.
Certainly looks like agent pushing for it. Chelsea and Tottenham need a striker more than we do and arguably even Arsenal can do with someone in the mould of a traditional no.9 but none of them are really linked with Toney. Seems like the agent thinks we are there for taking another ageing player on big wages.

This. Agents, players, entourages of players, the club, staff at the club. There are so many different angles and agendas for getting stories into the papers / social media.

I still think there might be something in it IF the price is around the £35m mark, Ducker is generally a strong Utd source and didn't Whitwell reference him the other day as well.
Even then it's overpaying for me. He might be worth that much for Brentford but certainly not for us if we are looking for a squad player. I don't even think he's going to come on the cheap in terms of his wages as well with this being his last chance for a big contract.

Edit : For further context, the best offer we recieved for McT is 20m who is in the same situation as Toney with one year left on his contract. And Toney had 1 half decent season in PL, his non-penalty goalscoring record is nothing to write home about yet some people have convinced themselves he's some goalscoring machine. With Bruno here, he's never going to take a penalty for us so even that 35m is overpaying for Toney.

Last edited:
Over priced and overrated by some on here. We don’t need to spend 40m to find a penalty taker.

He wasn’t even first choice at Brentford the last few months and people want to spend tens of millions on him?
Fair enough. Last season I can’t say, but the season before he banged on about 20 league goals.

Agree I wouldn’t overpay but I think getting a proven PL striker would be invaluable

Over priced and overrated by some on here. We don’t need to spend 40m to find a penalty taker.

He wasn’t even first choice at Brentford the last few months and people want to spend tens of millions on him?

Yes I do overrate him and have openly admitted that many times, however I just think he would relish playing in the Utd shirt and know that's generally not a popular opinion. I will say that I haven't a clue where the money comes from with our situation

Fair enough. Last season I can’t say, but the season before he banged on about 20 league goals.

Agree I wouldn’t overpay but I think getting a proven PL striker would be invaluable
And that was including 6 penalties which he wouldn't get to take here with Bruno. Hojlund in his first season in a new league matched Toney's best season in PL in non-penalty goals/90mins. I don't think having one decent season in PL makes Toney Prem proven and the less said about last season the better. He must have a hell of a team behind him that he's this overrated and this is after getting banned for being a betting addict.

Even during the Euros, I've seen people calling for Toney to be played ahead of Watkins who was probably the best player in terms of output in the league last season which boggles the mind. There's other teams like Chelsea and Tottenham who need a striker more than we do and none of them are reliably linked with Toney which speaks volumes.

And that was including 6 penalties which he wouldn't get to take here with Bruno. Hojlund in his first season in a new league matched Toney's best season in PL in non-penalty goals/90mins. I don't think having one decent season in PL makes Toney Prem proven and the less said about last season the better. He must have a hell of a team behind him that he's this overrated and this is after getting banned for being a betting addict.

Even during the Euros, I've seen people calling for Toney to be played ahead of Watkins who was probably the best player in terms of output in the league last season which boggles the mind. There's other teams like Chelsea and Tottenham who need a striker more than we do and none of them are reliably linked with Toney which speaks volumes.
Well I’d take him if they could get it done on a favourable deal without it affecting getting other key signings (full back, CB and a midfielder are all priority it seems)

But I doubt it’ll happen anyway.

Last edited:
We have to sell to buy FB, DM/CM and CB. Having spent 35m on Zirkzee & that young lad from Arsenal as seemingly 3rd choice, I don’t see any potential for spend on CF.

Well I’d take him if they could get it done on a favourite deal without it affecting getting other key signings (full back, CB and a midfielder are all priority it seems)

But I doubt it’ll happen anyway.
Favourable deal for us would be within 20m which is what teams have been bidding for McT who is in a similar situation with one year left on contract and is similar to Toney in that he's nothing more than a half decent player. No chance Brentford would accept that though with them mentioning Kane and Hojlund fees of more than 70m at the start of this window.

It is posturing but fees that high suggest they are realistically looking at 40-50m for him. He also would most definitely demand for high wages as this would be his last chance for a big contract.

Edit : I completely forgot about AWB going for less than 20m too. Nah feck that, anything more than 20m for Toney is definitely overpaying. Even then I wouldn't want a betting addict here.

Last edited:
Favourable deal for us would be within 20m which is what teams have been bidding for McT who is in a similar situation with one year left on contract and is similar to Toney in that he's nothing more than a half decent player. No chance Brentford would accept that though with them mentioning Kane and Hojlund fees of more than 70m at the start of this window.

It is posturing but fees that high suggest they are realistically looking at 40-50m for him. He also would most definitely demand for high wages as this would be his last chance for a big contract.
I’m that case fair enough. Might be one to look at in January for someone as Brentford would then basically have the choice of circa £15-20m or him leaving on a free 4 months later. He isn’t going to renew there

How so? He’s a poacher. He scores the scruffy goals and tap ins our guys don’t seem to. If nothing else he’d be a great backup to Rasmus and an option off the bench if we need a goal.

I’m not sure he is a poacher at all.

I see Spurs are working on Solanke who has a relause clause of £65 mill. I think he will be great for them.

How so? He’s a poacher. He scores the scruffy goals and tap ins our guys don’t seem to. If nothing else he’d be a great backup to Rasmus and an option off the bench if we need a goal.
Obi Martin is allegedly 3rd choice after Zirkzee. Can’t see us adding another striker who mainly scores penalties

I’m not sure he is a poacher at all.

I see Spurs are working on Solanke who has a relause clause of £65 mill. I think he will be great for them.
I was thinking that earlier, far better choice for Spurs.

I think it’s telling that none of the big boys are in for Toney. Pretty sure this is just his agent poking around

We absolutely do. Rasmus/Zirkzee is not enough, Rashy isn’t a CF and Sancho/Bruno at false 9 doesn’t work.
Bruno has worked as false 9 in the small number of times we’ve used him like that. Sancho hasn’t because he’s not half the player Bruno is

I think we've all forgotten what it's like to have a decent experienced PL proven striker at the club, and so think we don't need one.

Hojlund, Zirkzee, and a 16 year old kid, has lack of goals once again written all over it.

Toney wouldn't be the first choice, but he'd still likely get 20-25 goals, which has to be a good thing.

I think we've all forgotten what it's like to have a decent experienced PL proven striker at the club, and so think we don't need one.

Hojlund, Zirkzee, and a 16 year old kid, has lack of goals once again written all over it.

Toney wouldn't be the first choice, but he'd still likely get 20-25 goals, which has to be a good thing.
How is he likely to get 20-25 goals when he’s only done that once and it included penalties? Plus he wouldn’t be first choice. So where do you pluck that number from?
This is a player that Brentford no longer has as first pick last season.
They are doing some PR job on marketing him, but unfortunately for them it’s only a dream of some fans and not actually convincing any of the big teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.